What made you stop playing here?

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
albeyond
Gryphon Knight

Postby albeyond » Feb 22, 2020 23:32

give it another 6 months and blue will shut this down for good. Should have happened a while ago. At this point this server is an embarrassment to the daoc community. I want to vomit for having been stupid enough to donate to this server financially in the early 2010s and then abydos 10 years later is still ruining this place. Should have left when he said we’d have SI 10 years ago

wachawacha
Myrmidon

Postby wachawacha » Feb 22, 2020 23:34

Gil wrote:
Wakefield wrote:
Abydos wrote:Sure we could make all horse tickets free, remove house price/rent/offer instaport everywhere. But why? There are games out there that offer just that. But they're not DAOC.

Hmm, the place that should not be named looks and smells like DAOC, so will do for me.

But wait, doesn't live have things like SI, NF, teleporters and all that?

Is that not DAOC?

I think he meant to say they aren't classic DAoC.

That said, we all have different ideas of what makes classic DAoC classic. Removing some of the time sinks AND adding SI would seem like good things to me.

Daoc is what it is at its core. You could make horse routes free and teleportations free, that doesn't affect the base game. You could make the time sinks less, but farming will still be part of the game. It's about balancing RVR, PVE and Farming. Changing a few numbers on prices and xp won't change the skeleton. People like the skeleton, not the rest of it. No other MMO has the same skeleton as daoc, but they try to emulate it. It was the basis for many MMOs that came after it. You make it less of a time sink because people are two decades older than they were when it came out, and you have population back

GMs and mods need to realize, it's the casuals that keep pop up. People who love the game for what it is won't leave, but those who don't have the time to invest that you need on UTH will look for a solution that doesn't require time.

If I had a 40 hour per week job and didn't work for myself, I would be on Phoenix in a heartbeat. It's less of a time sink. I can get to the heart of Daoc without a 100 hour sink on each char to get to 50. I don't have to wait hours to get a duo or trio.

This is what's missing. If Having everything like a museum is what's worth it to mods, they won't see success. People want the museum with the fun stuff, not a majority of boring stuff with a little bit of stuff that's interesting.

Wakefield
Myrmidon

Postby Wakefield » Feb 23, 2020 01:25

I have logged on twice this week, which is more time than I have invested in the other server as I fancied a change as /nostalgia for my old chars.

Logged in, ran about, was told how fantastic it was taking keeps with some form of defence of bard, ani and a few rangers defending. Checked /realm and /relic.

I shook my head, paid my rent on my house(account vaults!) and booted up my Football Manager save instead.

Server is dead guys, deal with it.
Wakefield 50 Rej Cleric
Thaddea 50 Sight Necro
Misswhiplash 48 Reaver
On Holiday!
We Play for Keeps

Wakefeld 26 Druid

shaddoe
Guardian

Postby shaddoe » Feb 23, 2020 01:37

I'm not an old player so I guess many would think I have no place to comment here, but this discussion does interest me.

While I didn't play DAoC back in the day, my first MMO was somewhat a rip off of DAoC so I have some affection for this style of game.

I first tried Uthgard a couple years ago and didn't mind the grinding at all although the lack of population was daunting and went to other things. I decided to come back and give it another try and found it even deader than it was before, I discovered that a new server had been launched and tried it. I found it insanely unsatisfying, you could say the extreme example of the "participation trophy" mentality, which I can't stand.

I truly hope Uthgard will pull it together without going down the same road as that other server as I'd really like to play here, Ive recently made several new chars and will play for a while and see where we go.

My two cents,
I really agree with the devs for the most part as I've seen several of the games I've played in the past die because the devs tried to accommodate the vocal minority in the forum at the cost of the larger playerbase (not saying that is the case here).
Personally I do agree that account vaults would be a great addition I disagree with almost every other change suggested. The slippery slope is not a fallacy it is a health hazard to the life of any game.

Wakefield
Myrmidon

Postby Wakefield » Feb 23, 2020 01:49

/craftqueue is amazing, means i can get my plats up as im sat having my food and then back to rvr if i fancy it.

Or getting into a farming group if i fancy.

Population is key to any MMORPG, hence what the first two digits in MMorpg stands for after all. Otherwise its just Skyrim
Wakefield 50 Rej Cleric
Thaddea 50 Sight Necro
Misswhiplash 48 Reaver
On Holiday!
We Play for Keeps

Wakefeld 26 Druid

Wakefield
Myrmidon

Postby Wakefield » Feb 23, 2020 02:38

Blame it on summertime, winter, world cup year etcetc..

Population didn't come back...

Blue and co hid behind excuses for years and look what has happened...
Wakefield 50 Rej Cleric
Thaddea 50 Sight Necro
Misswhiplash 48 Reaver
On Holiday!
We Play for Keeps

Wakefeld 26 Druid

svperstar
Eagle Knight

Postby svperstar » Feb 24, 2020 16:39

Abydos wrote: And that's just the people here (some of whom haven't played here in years) espousing what they want. Let me know when you come up with a solution.

Well you guys have been "working on SI" for 10+ years at this point. Getting SI up and running would give people something to come see at the very least.
There will be a group of people out there who will want this realm to be entirely Mythic-like. Exactly like vanilla, drop rates/xp rates, basically everything and you will not be able to please them unless it is exactly like vanilla.

These people have their nostalgia goggles on so tight it's cutting off the bloodflow to their brain and they believe that vanilla was perfect and nothing was wrong with it.

Abydos
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Abydos » Feb 24, 2020 19:42

That is of course an exaggeration. I started working on SI after I became a GM which was January 2011 (actually about October, after I finished the RVR dungeons). After that time when requesting assistance we made it very clear that effort didn't mean it would be done any time soon when we requested assistance.

SI will not bring a significant portion of population to the server in the long term. At best you'll see some tourists and some die hard PVE players who want to explore.

Satiah
Eagle Knight

Postby Satiah » Feb 24, 2020 20:48

Abydos wrote:SI will not bring a significant portion of population to the server in the long term. At best you'll see some tourists and some die hard PVE players who want to explore.

You're so wrong. New and better xp spots, more quests, better utility jewelry, better (looking) weapons to name a few. Not having SI has done Uthgard a lot of harm long term.
Last edited by Satiah on Feb 25, 2020 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
Satiah | Tuthmes | Dendera | Khufu | Nefertete | Dahshur | Nebetah | Neterbaiu

Alphaone
Myrmidon

Postby Alphaone » Feb 24, 2020 23:28

svperstar wrote:
Abydos wrote: And that's just the people here (some of whom haven't played here in years) espousing what they want. Let me know when you come up with a solution.

Well you guys have been "working on SI" for 10+ years at this point. Getting SI up and running would give people something to come see at the very least.

Can I just say that I actually really do miss that horrible Xbox 360 joke spam in the Uth 1 trade channel you've got in your signature line Svper? And I actually do remember Blato telling you to shut the ****** up, although, that may have happened multiple times so not sure if that is the same one or not. Ahhh Uth 1, miss you so so much.

Alpha

Ebbie
Myrmidon

Postby Ebbie » Feb 25, 2020 02:35

Abydos wrote:That is of course an exaggeration. I started working on SI after I became a GM which was January 2011 (actually about October, after I finished the RVR dungeons). After that time when requesting assistance we made it very clear that effort didn't mean it would be done any time soon when we requested assistance.

SI will not bring a significant portion of population to the server in the long term. At best you'll see some tourists and some die hard PVE players who want to explore.

Am I reading between the lines too much, or are you confirming that work on SI is still ongoing? :grin:

It also appears that you anticipate similar population numbers with a little fluctuation here and there. Are there any internal discussions to scale epic encounters for todays populations? Its really cool that Albion can rally a dragon kill most Sundays, but I think even they have had problems getting enough online for Legion. If SI is launched on Uthgard, will HIb / MId even get a chance to experience the hard work you put in to make the epic dungeons if scaled properly?

Highdrone
Myrmidon

Postby Highdrone » Feb 25, 2020 16:16

Abydos wrote:That is of course an exaggeration. I started working on SI after I became a GM which was January 2011 (actually about October, after I finished the RVR dungeons). After that time when requesting assistance we made it very clear that effort didn't mean it would be done any time soon when we requested assistance.

Could you do me a big favor and please answer on our questions?

Like work on SI. (Any hint on how much is done, what still has to be done etc. I dont need an ETA, just so we know SOMETHING)

Or what about the work on Uthgard, are there still internal discussions? Is there silence atm?

What about Realm missions?

What about Dragons?

What about Blue?

I know you owe us nothing, but its really freaking annoying to always keep guessing everything.

wachawacha
Myrmidon

Postby wachawacha » Feb 25, 2020 17:17

Highdrone wrote:

Could you do me a big favor and please answer on our questions?

Like work on SI. (Any hint on how much is done, what still has to be done etc. I dont need an ETA, just so we know SOMETHING)

Or what about the work on Uthgard, are there still internal discussions? Is there silence atm?

What about Realm missions?

What about Dragons?

What about Blue?

I know you owe us nothing, but its really freaking annoying to always keep guessing everything.

+1

Or if there's nothing being done because Morale is low, let us know as well. It's understandable to have ups and downs, and if you can't get into programming parts because of Morale, we'd love to know. The lack of information is the source of player frustration. People can understand if there's a rough patch or you need a break because life came up. People don't understand the secrecy and unwillingness to share any information whatsoever.

Abydos
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Abydos » Feb 25, 2020 19:54

There's no secret - we're around every day keeping things going, answering appeals and such.

We're not going to suddenly surprise with a big announcement, there will be a news post first.

albeyond
Gryphon Knight

Postby albeyond » Feb 25, 2020 20:18

Abydos wrote:There's no secret - we're around every day keeping things going, answering appeals and such.

We're not going to suddenly surprise with a big announcement, there will be a news post first.

What kind of response is this? You completely ignored the question asked to you. Let me be specific: why is there no front page news in over half a year? Why is there no announcement of the direction of the server considering you have 30 players left? What is your plan to regain population since clearly the other server isn’t losing it. Where is blue and why does he never join in the chat anymore? Why does it take 9-10 years to work on SI but all alternative servers have implemented it in a matter of months?

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics