RvR Task / Guard Task

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Abydos
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Abydos » Jan 25, 2019 21:40

RazorRamon wrote:Not entirely true. I was very active doing my solo thing before custom features were removed to switch to 1.65 and also a NA player. There was a pleasant mix of everything going on until around 10pm my time(PST) when things started to slow down. Smallman, solo, grps and the occasional Zerg fight. The server was slowly but steadily growing population over the years until 1.65 was decided upon. Removing barrels, adjusting battlegrounds to classic, ditching new RAs, removal of tinderboxes, personal bindstones, RvR mounts, removing Tajendi and implementing item degredation for it's content. It all happened in a relatively short amount of time and managed to upset everyone from the hardcore PvEers to the RvRers. Then Genesis releases and the rest is history... but, I digress, yeah RvR tasks etc would be nice.

Your memory is flawed Razor.

1) Population increased more than 30% for ~10 months beginning 4 days after the removal of barrels
2) There was no patch target change decided during the timeframe you suggest. 1.69 was decided on years before I even became a GM, just little effort was put into it.
3) New RA's existed until Uthgard shutdown.

RazorRamon
Gryphon Knight

Postby RazorRamon » Jan 25, 2019 22:49

You cherry picked my comment and missed the point entirely. First, I never mentioned you or implied you had anything to do with the decision to revert. 2nd the short sidedness ended up bringing about population numbers similar to what they are now, from which the server never completely recovered. It was left in a state of hoping competition failed to regain numbers. Luckily it did fail. . Will it happen again? We'll see but it seemed like the majority of the freeshard community would rather go dormant than play here and the unigeeks population tracker backs that statement.

Abydos
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Abydos » Jan 25, 2019 23:08

We've been over this topic time and again: The DAOC freeshard community is, relatively speaking, a fixed number that ebbs and flows based on a number of factors. We're talking about less than 3,000 people worldwide, who vary their play time based on a number of factors (season, other game releases, burnout rate etc). When you look at something like unixgeek you're missing substantial pieces of information (dual login rate, unique users, "nostolgia tourists" etc). This equates to, roughly, 500-1100 players during peak playtime.

To say the population "never recovered" is false - there wasn't a downtick nor an uptick. What we saw was a burn rate of population that stabilized on what amounts to the exact same number of freeshard players as before. That, honestly, is the tragedy of the relaunch: Ultimately we didn't increase numbers in the overall community long term. It quite literally is/was the same count.

As far as the current situation, time will tell whether people want to play DAOC or not. At the moment they're off playing a different game.

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Jan 25, 2019 23:24

Abydos wrote:We've been over this topic time and again: The DAOC freeshard community is, relatively speaking, a fixed number that ebbs and flows based on a number of factors. We're talking about less than 3,000 people worldwide, who vary their play time based on a number of factors (season, other game releases, burnout rate etc). When you look at something like unixgeek you're missing substantial pieces of information (dual login rate, unique users, "nostolgia tourists" etc). This equates to, roughly, 500-1100 players during peak playtime.

To say the population "never recovered" is false - there wasn't a downtick nor an uptick. What we saw was a burn rate of population that stabilized on what amounts to the exact same number of freeshard players as before. That, honestly, is the tragedy of the relaunch: Ultimately we didn't increase numbers in the overall community long term. It quite literally is/was the same count.

As far as the current situation, time will tell whether people want to play DAOC or not. At the moment they're off playing a different game.

There is a lot of truth to this, but the composition of the population is the problem, not the numbers. Most of the RvR active people who didn't look for excuses did quit the game forever. They will play the other non-daoc server for a bit and move on as well because it's hard to come back after 5-10 years of your effort went to waste. I mean let's face it, most of Uthgard's current population could not properly play their class if their and their family's life depended on it.
It is what it is.

RazorRamon
Gryphon Knight

Postby RazorRamon » Jan 26, 2019 11:25

Valfar wrote:...

Lol you're not wrong about people sucking at their class. I remember a RR12 shadow blade named Friponleretour and I remember that name because I was so astonished at how badly he played his class for someone so high of RR. I never lost a fight to him. He would forget to poison his weapons, unstealth and chase me if he saw me, turn and try to run away once I had my pet and a few DoTs landed on him, basically everything he could do wrong as a stealther. This was back on Uth 1 so maybe he RvR tasked his way up, maybe he was the receiptient of the account from the original player, It's a mystery I never solved. He did at least prove to me that RR doesn't equal skill.

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Jan 26, 2019 11:32

RazorRamon wrote:

Lol you're not wrong about people sucking at their class. I remember a RR12 shadow blade named Friponleretour and I remember that name because I was so astonished at how badly he played his class for someone so high of RR. I never lost a fight to him. He would forget to poison his weapons, unstealth and chase me if he saw me, turn and try to run away once I had my pet and a few DoTs landed on him, basically everything he could do wrong as a stealther. This was back on Uth 1 so maybe he RvR tasked his way up, maybe he was the receiptient of the account from the original player, It's a mystery I never solved. He did at least prove to me that RR doesn't equal skill.

Hahaha yeah I know him, he was a kobold shadowblade on uth1 and on uth2 a norse(named Fripon, I think). Nice dude, but definitely not one of the better SBs haha. I guess Alanya/Runis/Smell/Skarz were a lot harder fights :D.
It is what it is.

Banael
Warder

Postby Banael » Jan 26, 2019 14:52

Valfar wrote:
RazorRamon wrote:

Hahaha yeah I know him, he was a kobold shadowblade on uth1 and on uth2 a norse(named Fripon, I think). Nice dude, but definitely not one of the better SBs haha. I guess Alanya/Runis/Smell/Skarz were a lot harder fights :D.

I played with Fripon on Uth1 &2 , he was part of the "older" generation that plays the game; charming , funny, always available to help; For those who value this game more for the community aspect than for its class achievement, he was among the top players.
[img]https://uthsig.000webhostapp.com/uthsig.php?

Alcan
Gryphon Knight

Postby Alcan » Jan 26, 2019 17:17

True fripon was a challange and tbh a grey ganker in df !

Ilerget
Phoenix Knight

Postby Ilerget » Mar 16, 2019 15:33

Genjiro wrote:OT:
I am working on RvR Quests/Missions right now as yet another missing feature.
They will neither be the same as on Uthgard 1 but will also exceed the originals Mythic implemented back in the day.

Stay tuned!

how is going this work? can you share something?
It's the thrill of the chase
and I'm coming after you.

Gil
Alerion Knight

Postby Gil » Mar 17, 2019 17:30

If it isn't coming SOON(tm) it won't matter. People are desperate to see signs of life from the staff.
Last edited by Gil on Mar 20, 2019 07:45, edited 1 time in total.
Gil DaTroll - Merlin Zerker | MacDeath - Uth1 Armsman | Gil - Uth2 Zerker | Macdeath - Uth2 Armsman

Bunjip
Myrmidon

Postby Bunjip » Mar 19, 2019 14:21

Gil wrote:If it isn't coming SOON(tm) it won't matter. People are desperate to see sign's of life from the staff.

can you pls stop generalizing the community. just talk to your grp of keeptaking bots,but not the wide community.

ofc it would be nice to hear something, but as said before, if there is nothing i rather hear nothing instead of false promises.
there were a lot of suggestions made, and the staff is old enough to decide by themself what to do and what not.
i played on other servers where the staff just abandoned the server as the population fell to this level.

:hammer: and as long as there is no tomte hockey field in mularn "the community" will never be happy :hammer:

Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Dec 13, 2019 00:02

Genjiro wrote:OT:
I am working on RvR Quests/Missions right now as yet another missing feature.
They will neither be the same as on Uthgard 1 but will also exceed the originals Mythic implemented back in the day.

Stay tuned!

Bump :D

I haven't believed in Santa for ~35 years...but maybe Uthgard will have something coming down the chimney? :hammer:
Bonz - Arran - Masticore - Rhakan

Alb Morgan le Fay: Bonzki
Hib Merlin: Grahmdal

GamingIcon
Warder

Postby GamingIcon » Dec 23, 2019 22:02

Roxxor wrote:
Rendiviel wrote:Should have been implemented to begin with. Player council will decide in the next 6 months, come to the same conclusion, and then post a news update when another new server launches.

Didn´t staff said they dont want to have player in fz cycling around open keeps and killing guards for rp?
I mean they risk to get killed and are in fz. What so bad about?

Beause this and 4 player which yell: "RP only for killing player", even keeps give no rp for a long time on Uth2.
I hope this 4 player enjoying to play here now.

And Playercouncil is a joke, even on Uth1 it was a joke, it just have 1 special use and this is intended.

When player complaints or make suggestions, staff can say, we have a playercouncil for this and every opinion and suggestion which is possible is already discussed, so the player can shut their mouth and play or leave...

NICE MOVE

" And Playercouncil is a joke, even on Uth1 it was a joke"

Although I can understand and go along with most of your point, I would like to address this portion of it personally. No one here knows who I was on Uth1 and I aint telling, but rest assured then when I played there from 2008-2012, there was NO player council. The player council idea thing didn't start up until it was suggested on the first iteration of Origins from someone I am very close with, suggested to a former disgraced GM that went by the name of Cody. And that one known as Cody, under a different name is still active here even now in the forums. So yeah, I wonder where this player council idea came from hmmmmm?

Roxxor
Gryphon Knight

Postby Roxxor » Dec 24, 2019 04:57

Danke Uthgard für 10 Jahre
Sent: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:01 am
To: Roxxor

If you arent having fun just stop posting. No need to ****** post on the forum. Go outside and enjoy the sunshine.
------------------
I am posting here because i have no fun and tried to rescue Uthgard.
Finally i did it like half of staff, i gave up...

Jerrian
Phoenix Knight

Postby Jerrian » Dec 24, 2019 11:01

Roxxor wrote:U can find infos about first playercouncil here
https://www.uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4819&p=42117&hilit=Council#p42117

Can ´t do anything when there is no staff left that is setting up things.

Imho the playercouncil did a good job, we collected so many ideas and discussed very much and came to many good decissions. I can say we discussed every topic and idea posted in forum too and we put quite some time effort in it.
The success of the other server changed everything then, now Uth is a dead horse and most of the staffmemenbers lost their interest due of that. Staff has been too small before that though.

But now, who is still here? Abydos and Blue? If they don ´t get new staffmemembers nothing will be done, the server is just simply managed but not developed anymore. They denied getting new staffmembers in the past now uth is silent as a grave.

I ´m still surprised ppl still talk about changes here, if you look in the bug tracker, news thread or Staff activity you see there is zero progress. As said, the playercouncil thread is full of ideas and made decissions but nobody is setting them up, might change someday, but I don´t think so anymore.

Anyway, I wish the uth family a nice xmas and a happy new year eve.

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics