If You had 1 wish for Uthgard what would it be.

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Ithiggi
Gryphon Knight

Postby Ithiggi » Mar 04, 2019 02:11

DonJuve wrote:
Runental wrote:Install Backup from Uthgard 1 around 2008 to 2010 and bring back the nice people from these times.

+1

madskaizer
Eagle Knight

Postby madskaizer » Mar 05, 2019 12:00

Reverting to Uthgard1 will hardly bring back "all the old nice people", it would still be in competition with another server.

It is better to improve on Uthgard2 and let time pass, the market will correct itself and how many servers is left around is a product of that.

New servers / wipe always attract everything, but if you look back at all servers/freeshard that have existed, it all comes to an end as well, some sooner than later.

I enjoy Uthgard for what it was, what it is and hopefully also what it will become :)
Uthgard 2.0 auto-bestiary Zones, maps, monsters, locations, items, drop rates and statistics.
DAoC game mechanics information templates, realm ranks, spell dmg type, melee speed, blocking, exp/group calculation
Alb <M Y T H>: Citybilens, 50 Minstrel, Muchthinarms, 49 Paladin & Boltsarebroken, 48 Wizard
Hib: April, 50 Eldritch
Mid <Myth>: Direktoeren, 50 Shaman, Flammespyd, 50 Runemaster & Skambankeren, 50 Berzerker

also Tesla coil and high voltage is my hobby

Daetren
Myrmidon

Postby Daetren » Mar 05, 2019 21:18

While the return of Uth1 and my old char is #1 for me and many I will state the reasons for it and what added to that as a whole.

1. New RA's: This is 2019. While classic daoc and the dreams of that are always pleasing the need for all future QoL was highly necessary for the game to grow and be productive. New RA's brought about changes most necessary that plagued oldschool daoc. SoS/Grp Purge being the biggest. Outdated skills that hindered combat or proved ineffective for opposing realms. The change to new ra's effectively made a much more even fight for all realms. The same applies from solos to 8 mans to zergs. If you actually RvR I cannot stress to you how disheartening it is to play in any form of solo or grp, get mezzed or rooted and watch your group melt before your eyes. Not only that time, but every time for 30 minutes until you can purge next. That is ofc if you didn't mess up in the fight and get outplayed anyways. If that's the case then you wasted your purge again and repeat the cycle. This alone would make me rage log for the longest. PURGE 3 IS VITAL for effective RvR! Purge is your one chance of redemption in a fight, everyone needs that chance even if you screw it up.
Most all melee style ra's and regen ra's (power/endurance) prove useless and highly costly with little return. Hybrids get little to no utility from outdated lists of ra's. Especially when ST and other cc rewriting effects weren't implemented.

2. New skill system: The changes to bow and melee styles added much more flexibility with specs and styles. One Example: a hunter could spec sword because he can use the after evade frost cut stun instead of after block against targets with slam/ice storm/dragonfang etc. Making a sword hunter a viable thing and a personal favorite. :-P
Archers and bow proved more attractive when provided the changes to bow and the different shots you could use.

3. QoL: Change is needed greatly when bombarded with many problems, but what changes? Truly I tell you from playing all sides of the fence that the progression of QoL was a necessary part of growth. Barrels that increased inv space for loot or other buffs added extreme utility and effectiveness to ones prowess. IT MADE SENSE. The argument for no pots also takes away from the mechanics of the game and importance they represent. (Albion for example often runs without a paladin in a group of thier chosing or any duo/small-man without endo user) Are barrels/charges cheap? No, certainly not! Some argue it may be hard to attain the money or items needed to sustain barrels or pots etc. This is the responsibility of any player who wants to succeed in battle. In real life you work for the things you want. In this game it also proved one who worked hard at crafting, farming, and rvr was successful in most endeavors. The ones who would not do these things would be those who are lazy and dont deserve the things they want without working for them. This also contributes to an economy where markets can thrive.

4. News/Events: While not always necessary it's highly respected by all when you drop by and say hello to the community either in-game, iirc, discord, forum post, etc. This keeps our dreams alive and we know we can trust you because it shows you care. Events were one of those ways it shows everyone's around and still active. It brings the community together and promotes a less toxic environment.

DAoC is a wonderful game and I hope to be playing it well into my life with the friends I've made along the way. Uthgard staff made that possible. While we know servers will come and go I do hope Uthgard sticks around.. I mean.. say that name, "Uthgard". What a mighty and glorious name you chose!

Side Note: I've said it 100x by now, but Taj 1/2 was seriously a masterpiece. Even if it was for a trophy or something not effected by rvr I believe being able to explore in that world was really something amazing. You could really tell the passion put into it. To lock that away at this point is truly a tragedy and belittles the efforts designed to bring us entertainment!

Without a doubt this requires even more work and we all have lives ofc! But you (Uth staff) are most certainly a part of our lives. I'm certain you know the therapy this game gives me and countless others. Either chilling xping with friends, rvring slaying or getting slain by others and trying to come back better for it, felling mighty dragons and winning the uber loots! All of these things we've had for a long time because of Uth staff. I'm trying to not be overly critical about any outlying circumstances. This is my two cents and you can take it or leave it. This is simply my experienced daoc opinion relating to gameplay and the server. So again please take my opinions and critics with a grain of salt.

Thank you Uthgard staff for what you've given us! Keep the dream alive!.. but maybe with those things I mentioned :D
First of my name, Boon of Midgard, Solous Shamanus, the relentless, King of Dodens and the first men, Breaker of mezzes, and Father of The Dream.

R.I.P
Uth1 - Ist Aid [Nomad Jarl]- 8L3 Kobby Shaman - 900+ REAL Solo Kills ~
Uth2 - Ist Aid [TEAM AMERICA]- 8L5 Kobby Shaman - 500+ REAL Solo Kills ~
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDaetr/videos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3fAbTMqYoTivisVB9 - Uth1 Album (Birth and Death of Respect)

RazorRamon
Gryphon Knight

Postby RazorRamon » Mar 05, 2019 22:56

@Ist... Completely agree. Change was always part of the real daoc experience.

I miss our epic 10+ min fights too. It was pure adrenaline the entire time :lol:

Daetren
Myrmidon

Postby Daetren » Mar 05, 2019 23:28

RazorRamon wrote:@Ist... Completely agree. Change was always part of the real daoc experience.

I miss our epic 10+ min fights too. It was pure adrenaline the entire time :lol:

Aye, glorious times indeed my friend! My RR5 was pretty insane no lie. I would certainly understand not including RR5 abilities haha!
First of my name, Boon of Midgard, Solous Shamanus, the relentless, King of Dodens and the first men, Breaker of mezzes, and Father of The Dream.

R.I.P
Uth1 - Ist Aid [Nomad Jarl]- 8L3 Kobby Shaman - 900+ REAL Solo Kills ~
Uth2 - Ist Aid [TEAM AMERICA]- 8L5 Kobby Shaman - 500+ REAL Solo Kills ~
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDaetr/videos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3fAbTMqYoTivisVB9 - Uth1 Album (Birth and Death of Respect)

kinthos
Gryphon Knight

Postby kinthos » Mar 06, 2019 00:49

Daetren wrote:While the return of Uth1 and my old char is #1 for me and many I will state the reasons for it and what added to that as a whole.

1. New RA's: This is 2019. While classic daoc and the dreams of that are always pleasing the need for all future QoL was highly necessary for the game to grow and be productive. New RA's brought about changes most necessary that plagued oldschool daoc. SoS/Grp Purge being the biggest. Outdated skills that hindered combat or proved ineffective for opposing realms. The change to new ra's effectively made a much more even fight for all realms. The same applies from solos to 8 mans to zergs. If you actually RvR I cannot stress to you how disheartening it is to play in any form of solo or grp, get mezzed or rooted and watch your group melt before your eyes. Not only that time, but every time for 30 minutes until you can purge next. That is ofc if you didn't mess up in the fight and get outplayed anyways. If that's the case then you wasted your purge again and repeat the cycle. This alone would make me rage log for the longest. PURGE 3 IS VITAL for effective RvR! Purge is your one chance of redemption in a fight, everyone needs that chance even if you screw it up.
Most all melee style ra's and regen ra's (power/endurance) prove useless and highly costly with little return. Hybrids get little to no utility from outdated lists of ra's. Especially when ST and other cc rewriting effects weren't implemented.

2. New skill system: The changes to bow and melee styles added much more flexibility with specs and styles. One Example: a hunter could spec sword because he can use the after evade frost cut stun instead of after block against targets with slam/ice storm/dragonfang etc. Making a sword hunter a viable thing and a personal favorite. :-P
Archers and bow proved more attractive when provided the changes to bow and the different shots you could use.

3. QoL: Change is needed greatly when bombarded with many problems, but what changes? Truly I tell you from playing all sides of the fence that the progression of QoL was a necessary part of growth. Barrels that increased inv space for loot or other buffs added extreme utility and effectiveness to ones prowess. IT MADE SENSE. The argument for no pots also takes away from the mechanics of the game and importance they represent. (Albion for example often runs without a paladin in a group of thier chosing or any duo/small-man without endo user) Are barrels/charges cheap? No, certainly not! Some argue it may be hard to attain the money or items needed to sustain barrels or pots etc. This is the responsibility of any player who wants to succeed in battle. In real life you work for the things you want. In this game it also proved one who worked hard at crafting, farming, and rvr was successful in most endeavors. The ones who would not do these things would be those who are lazy and dont deserve the things they want without working for them. This also contributes to an economy where markets can thrive.

4. News/Events: While not always necessary it's highly respected by all when you drop by and say hello to the community either in-game, iirc, discord, forum post, etc. This keeps our dreams alive and we know we can trust you because it shows you care. Events were one of those ways it shows everyone's around and still active. It brings the community together and promotes a less toxic environment.

DAoC is a wonderful game and I hope to be playing it well into my life with the friends I've made along the way. Uthgard staff made that possible. While we know servers will come and go I do hope Uthgard sticks around.. I mean.. say that name, "Uthgard". What a mighty and glorious name you chose!

Side Note: I've said it 100x by now, but Taj 1/2 was seriously a masterpiece. Even if it was for a trophy or something not effected by rvr I believe being able to explore in that world was really something amazing. You could really tell the passion put into it. To lock that away at this point is truly a tragedy and belittles the efforts designed to bring us entertainment!

Without a doubt this requires even more work and we all have lives ofc! But you (Uth staff) are most certainly a part of our lives. I'm certain you know the therapy this game gives me and countless others. Either chilling xping with friends, rvring slaying or getting slain by others and trying to come back better for it, felling mighty dragons and winning the uber loots! All of these things we've had for a long time because of Uth staff. I'm trying to not be overly critical about any outlying circumstances. This is my two cents and you can take it or leave it. This is simply my experienced daoc opinion relating to gameplay and the server. So again please take my opinions and critics with a grain of salt.

Thank you Uthgard staff for what you've given us! Keep the dream alive!.. but maybe with those things I mentioned :D

ist - good post - I mostly agree with your points.

It's nice to see you can talk sense when not embracing/cuddling Rata.
- Inqy/Spymistress/Sly -
GM of "eXPedient demise" | Slave of "Crows of Winter"

Moondragon1
Gryphon Knight

Postby Moondragon1 » Mar 07, 2019 20:22

I thought I'd post about Uthgard 1. I started later than most, but found leveling easy because you could RvR in battlegrounds for XP most of the way (this is why Uthgard 2 seemed so strange to me trying to level so darn slowly). I also was able to get the few key big Realm Abilities, then the rest were incremental, so when you got out of the battlegrounds, you weren't at a huge disadvantage to those who had played a long time. I eventually hit RR8 something. Then the campaign to remove things began. Travel became harder, Taj items were denegrating and the big one was the removal of barrels.

Now, I know it's been claimed that population increased 30% after these removals, and in my guild we had some people log in who hadn't logged in for a long time to see the changes. We used what remaining barrels we had stored in RvR, and when they ran out, we left. I suppose that might have been some of the 30% boost in population, but I didn't run into anyone in game who said “wow, these things are awesomesauce!” The only consistent positive posts came from the developers about how it was needed.

That philosophy seemed to continue into Uthgard 2. Many players (I would say, the majority of players that posted on the forums) supported this idea. Others said it would lead to a significant decline in players, as well as the the old Realm Abilities would lead to too much disparity in high versus low RR along with long-timers on powerful active abilities. Players kept demanding that wouldn't be the case. So, I don't blame developers, because the vast majority of people early on supported this “1.65 or nothing” idea.

What could be done now? You can't ask for major changes, because major changes would require a massive downtime. Uthgard 2.0 took over 2 years and SI is apparently still in development, so asking for a massive change in the server isn't worth it.

Could you load Uthgard 1 from a backup file (prior to the removal of everything) with minimal downtime? Probably. It's the only major change that wouldn't take a long time to do. The only other solution is to keep the server as is and hope for the best making small changes here and there.

Reskal22
Warder

Postby Reskal22 » Mar 10, 2019 00:18

My wish is no elitists, that kick you when you have another opinion about playing rvr. Just having fun, playing, fighting and dying and getting rp :)

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Mar 10, 2019 16:34

Reskal22 wrote:My wish is no elitists, that kick you when you have another opinion about playing rvr. Just having fun, playing, fighting and dying and getting rp :)

I admit there were/are a lot of elitists around, but from my own personal experience I'll tell you that 99% of good players kick you only if you say something really stupid or if it takes you 5 min to buff while at the same time your ego is too big to ask how to do it. Huge majority of best players I've ever played with would always welcome someone willing to learn and do their job, while they'd kick people who think they know how to play, but they don't.
It is what it is.

Spivo
Eagle Knight

Postby Spivo » Mar 11, 2019 12:10

Valfar wrote:I admit there were/are a lot of elitists around, but from my own personal experience I'll tell you that 99% of good players kick you only if you say something really stupid or if it takes you 5 min to buff while at the same time your ego is too big to ask how to do it. Huge majority of best players I've ever played with would always welcome someone willing to learn and do their job, while they'd kick people who think they know how to play, but they don't.

I've had a guildy cleric not buffing group fully because he insisted on buffing 2xAF, Health Regen and Str to himself.
And when trying to explain the whole what to buff stuff, he had a mental rant about he decided how to buff when he was on cleric.
Surreal experience to say the least.

Also had a shaman go mental and not buff me at all, when I had told him 4 times not to buff my RM with Acuity, because I used charges. I feel I was being polite every time, but guess that is totally subjective.
Albion and having fun

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Mar 11, 2019 18:36

Spivo wrote:
Valfar wrote:I admit there were/are a lot of elitists around, but from my own personal experience I'll tell you that 99% of good players kick you only if you say something really stupid or if it takes you 5 min to buff while at the same time your ego is too big to ask how to do it. Huge majority of best players I've ever played with would always welcome someone willing to learn and do their job, while they'd kick people who think they know how to play, but they don't.

I've had a guildy cleric not buffing group fully because he insisted on buffing 2xAF, Health Regen and Str to himself.
And when trying to explain the whole what to buff stuff, he had a mental rant about he decided how to buff when he was on cleric.
Surreal experience to say the least.

Also had a shaman go mental and not buff me at all, when I had told him 4 times not to buff my RM with Acuity, because I used charges. I feel I was being polite every time, but guess that is totally subjective.

Happens all over the place man, and uth2 has way more noobs than uth1. They all have huge egos and their first sentence is how they've been playing the game for 15 years, but can't play any class for ******. I've tried being polite a million times, but in the end I just found a bunch of cool people to play with and we build our own groups for everything. Can't be helped sadly, it is what it is.
It is what it is.

Raku
Myrmidon

Postby Raku » Mar 11, 2019 19:13

I haven't been playing Uthgard for a while but players who behave like this have always existed, this is not just restricted to DAoC but to other games as well.

If I am grouped with someone who does not know how to buff approriately then I'll let him/her know politely, if the person is not willing to buff me yet I try to find out what the reason is. But if I am not buffed + not healed what am I supposed to say then? I mean, one doesn't have to offend one another, but you may want to be groupped with a supporter who knows how to support your group. Otherwise there are literally hundreds of videos out there, either on YouTube or Twitch that you can watch which will help you to know how this class is "supposed" to be played in a w/e setup.

Or with other words: Yeah, I have no issue in helping newbies with their classes - but if I want to EXP and I invite a pally, I want them to switch chants, if I invite a mind sorc I want them to buff crack, and so on.
Last edited by Raku on Mar 15, 2019 02:32, edited 3 times in total.

Tree
Eagle Knight

Postby Tree » Mar 11, 2019 20:21

Raku wrote:I haven't playing Uthgard for a while but players who behave like these have always exited, this is not just restricted to DAoC but to other games as well.

If I am grouped with someone who does not know how to buff approriately then I'll let him/her know politely, if the person is not willing to buff me yet I try to find out what the reason is. But if I am not buffed + not healed what am I supposed to say then? I mean, one doesn't have to offend one another, but you may want to be groupped with a supporter who knows how to support your group. Otherwise there are literally hundreds of videos out there, either on YouTube or Twitch that you can watch which will help you to know how this class is "supposed" to be played in a w/e setup.

Or with other words: Yeah, I have no issue in helping newbies with their classes - but if I want to EXP and I invite a pally, I want them to switch chants, if I invite a mind sorc I want them to buff crack, and so on.

Yeah true enough. Had a somewhat similar discussion on the other forum last month. I argued that I play with certain goals for my own character progression in mind and that I will disband random groups that for whatever reason dont work out. Advice is a good point though, I try to explain classes, roles, behaviours as good as I can when someone in a groups struggles, but if there is no effort to improve or a downright refusal to do what you ask them, then its goodbye.

A good friendlist is the best counter to disappointment indeed.
Tree - Animist Lvl 50 (RR 3L0, Legendary Tailor)
Aeomelia - Enchanter Lvl 50
Guild: SCHWERT & ROSE (provisional guild leader)

[HIB] Crafting Mat Wholesale
Diamond, Wyvernskin, Nightshade, Eldritch etc. huge quantities below vendor price - pm me!

Roxxor
Gryphon Knight

Postby Roxxor » Mar 14, 2019 03:53

Make events, 300% rp xp craftspeed and 200 % dropchance
Horses in pve
Si
Porter
Bindstone in pocket

@Genjiro: löse die Handbremse und finger mexico und so
Danke Uthgard für 10 Jahre
Sent: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:01 am
To: Roxxor

If you arent having fun just stop posting. No need to ****** post on the forum. Go outside and enjoy the sunshine.
------------------
I am posting here because i have no fun and tried to rescue Uthgard.
Finally i did it like half of staff, i gave up...

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Mar 14, 2019 19:08

Roxxor wrote:Make events, 300% rp xp craftspeed and 200 % dropchance
Horses in pve
Si
Porter
Bindstone in pocket

@Genjiro: löse die Handbremse und finger mexico und so

Meaningless short term fix to attract the worst kind of players, epic. Old game, other server out, people got other things to do in life. Stop throwing fits because server is not populated, it's ebb and flow and at some point things will even out. We can't react like panicking girls every time population drops and expect this server to be populated all year long. Whenever competition is out, people will jump on it, even if it's complete garbage. People chase "action" and "population" like they're some magical dragons or something, not realizing they are the population. Every single server will fail unless and until people make a stand, commit to learning to play 1-2 classes and get better at it through the learning process. Same people who now jumped to the "other" server cried about everything on uth1, genesis and on uth2...and they're enough mentally ill to think they'll do better there.

With all its flaws, uthgard is a fine server for rvr but people don't want to rvr, that's the problem. They've been using the same excuses for years, it is what it is. Do I think uth2 is inferior to uth1...yes. Do I think things could be better and that the setting could be better designed to make more different classes viable in all kinds of rvr even on low rr...yes. That being said, uthgard is a fine server for rvr and if people wanted to, they could do it.

XP is insanely fast compared to uth1 and if people don't know how to exp in a game this old or if their ego is too big to try to ask around for some tricks or even post on forum and ask for advice, that's their problem. They all act like they really really want to rvr, but xp is slow etc...meanwhile, 70% of them don't even know how to buff properly or play one class on an average level, yet they get offended when you try to offer some advice in a friendly manner. Then because other people invested time to play and got some realm ranks, these idiots react emotionally and cry on forum, demanding all sorts of changes. I have zero problems with someone being a better player than me in any game, I play the game and I to get better than I was yesterday, that's all. People who want goverments/presidents/religious leaders/whatever to create an ideal environment for them are delusional and are giving up their own freedom while at the same time not understanding that any real change in the world(which certainly applies to this server as well) can only come from a large enough number of individuals who make a conscious choice to contribute and build something. Anyway, it's a psychological truth that people would not enjoy an ideal environment even if they had one because without some sort of struggle it would be too boring and they'd create chaos.

After organizing more raids than anyone ever on uth1+uth2(real raids, no zerg ****** and I don't take anything for myself)and after giving out countless free templates, items and so on, I still feel like I owe uthgard staff way more than they owe me. I've had lots of fun here, met some glorious people along the way and even from whiners and sissies I got a huge insight into human psychology, whether it was something new I learned from them or just gotten a confirmation for my original assumptions.

I love daoc but even if server is empty for a whole year, I literally don't care...there are other things in life. I can't understand why individuals constantly cry about everything, and 95% of them never stuck to anything while server was populated. It's not as though they've tried to organize anything or did RvR(other than zerg keep taking, and even for that they needed someone else to build the BG).

So yeah, people are playing on a server that's trying to emulate an old school rpg, so you would think they would be in for a bit of a grind, but that's not the case. First sentence they type is usually how they started back in 2002. bla bla bla bla, meanwhile they literally couldn't play one class semi properly even if their or their family's life depended on it, and they get super offended by any suggestion, no matter how friendly it is. Also, if any other player or a group of players are able to self-organize and actually make something happen, these people blame the "rigged system". If this is not mental illness, I don't know what is :D.

I have zero problems with someone playing more or being a better player, therefore losing less fights and being higher realm rank, good for them. I'll lose some fights, I'll win some fights...but I'll take my losses like a man and I won't whine to Mr. Blue to make it so the kid that finishes 18th is the 18th winner and gets a trophy. Uthgard1 had some elitists with whom I didn't agree on most things, but at the very least they came out to fight and didn't whine all the time. If Uthgard for any reason ultimately fails, I'll still be happy I've met great people here and for all the fun times and go down with the ship. Big deal, life goes on :).
It is what it is.

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics