RvR Task / Guard Task

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Jan 23, 2019 20:28

Rendiviel wrote:
Rudra wrote:Many forget that Uthgard is a freeshard and that the Gm's are volunteering for this server and I think they can operate in their free time. Many have family and other responsibilities and you should thank the people behind them for it. The changes are planned I think so, but everything takes its time. It would be good if constructive suggestions from players were taken into account and that would lead to positive changes.

Have Fun Rudra

The typical refrain of "if you don't like it, leave" in a nutshell. Kudos. The changes wouldn't be coming if the server wasn't already dying, and that's the point. The staff should be actively trying to patch Uthgard with QoL changes and minor balances, instead of locking into the mindset of "My way or the highway." That has only aided in killing the server faster. And when i refer to minor balance changes, I refer to the obvious problems that were patched at later levels. Instead, the staff keeps to the same, narrow-minded viewpoint, then wonder why everyone leaves. The only reason I haven't left yet is because I'm not interested in starting over fresh. That said, I find myself less and less dedicated to doing anything on Uthgard when the staff are unwilling to even post a news update because there's no news. Everything happening is starting to reach the point of too little, too late.

Actually, I'd have zero problems with the "my way or the highway" mentality if we had the basics. New RAs, patch level from uth1, rams which require more people for full damage, relics harder to take and with less bonuses, strcon charges for hib/alb, guard and player kill tasks for rvr, porters and a few other minor changes like 10 charges pots from the beginning. Once you have all that, people really have no right to whine and if they still cry, those are people who will cry no matter how much they give, they're like spoiled brats. Once we have those things, anyone who whines is just a person who doesn't want to RvR, they just want fast XP and to template their 20 lvl 50s and quit because they lack the fortitude and the drive to actually give their best in RvR and slowly progress. So the my way or the highway deal would be great, at least sensible players would see that we really have all we need to have fun and there wouldn't be any excuses for whiners. But sadly...it is what it is, now we're getting things we should have had from the start.
It is what it is.

Genjiro
Developer
Developer

Postby Genjiro » Jan 23, 2019 20:30

Rendiviel wrote:...will we still have these changes? Will it be removed at a later point like Tajendi? Will the tweaks be removed? You create this aura of uncertainty and wonder why people choose to spend their time on other servers.

I think we can both agree on that "uncertainty" is certainly not something you or any player will find on Uthgard since we only implement changes when we feel certain about them. Slowly adding/loving/upgrading something is always the better solution than removing/nerfing/downgrading something after a rash or unreasonable decision, don't you think?

The removal of Tajendi or any other late Uthgard v1 feature can't be compared to Uthgard v2.

Rendiviel wrote:...because I know the work you put in...

Thanks!
News || Getting Started || Rules || Issue Tracker
Coloured text represents my personal opinion and is not associated with Uthgard Staff nor is it an official statement.

kinthos
Gryphon Knight

Postby kinthos » Jan 23, 2019 20:43

Genjy! Keep up the good work!
- Inqy/Spymistress/Sly -
GM of "eXPedient demise" | Slave of "Crows of Winter"

Bogged
Myrmidon

Postby Bogged » Jan 23, 2019 21:30

Thanks for your efforts, time and your good work!

Shalindra
Warder

Postby Shalindra » Jan 23, 2019 21:59

I think the rvr task/guard task would be awesome addition. IAfter reading all these comments I thought I would throw my 1/2cents worth... IMO our GMs and developers are coming off a holiday season, just like we all are. I appreciate the porters btw, nice touch... I hope now that the holidays are pasts, they will have more time to implement newer changes for QOL as well as new things in game to do.

Chia
Warder

Postby Chia » Jan 23, 2019 22:39

kinthos wrote:Genjy! Keep up the good work!

Like :-P

Gilded
Myrmidon

Postby Gilded » Jan 24, 2019 02:11

The population on Uthgard 1 was as dismal, maybe even worse, than were seeing now for NA timezones. The Euro pop was high enough to sustain rvr action.

There was zero 8man and the odd smallman for NA so a few of us had no choice (if we wanted to advance our characters in gaining rp's) by doing guard tasks. We welcomed incoming as keeps did appear on fire as they do now, yet there was rarely any incoming. Also worth noting, we often tasked with no Clerics due to the low pop (easy pickings if enemies showed up).

A small and vocal minority of mainly Euro players complained loudly that those gaining rp's during NA primetime (7 - 1am EST) doing tasks was unfair, not in the spirit of the game and abusing tasks. These forums blew up with cries and days later, all tasks were nerfed to the point anyone at RR5 or higher gained hardly any rp's via a penalty/sliding-scale implementation.

I'm sure several people remember this who played Uth1.

Many people left the server (Alb) and the guild I was in disappeared within a week or two after seeing such a low reward to taking keeps/killing guards, which was the ONLY WAY to gain rps. The server shuttered 4-6 months later.

And now.... there is talk of implementing tasks again?

GM's and people on the player council please consider:

- your server is open 24/7
- not everyone plays in the European time zones
- gaining rp's in the frontiers is the only viable way to sustain your NA population
- stop pandering and catering to people who have the luxury of playing when the pop is high enough for actual RvR.

Tasks are the only way this server will stay open IMHO. No one wants to PvE endlessly. No one wants to reroll toons or realm hop when they have lvl 50's that are stuck not gaining rp's.

Gil
Alerion Knight

Postby Gil » Jan 24, 2019 05:14

Gilded wrote:The population on Uthgard 1 was as dismal, maybe even worse, than were seeing now for NA timezones. The Euro pop was high enough to sustain rvr action.

There was zero 8man and the odd smallman for NA so a few of us had no choice (if we wanted to advance our characters in gaining rp's) by doing guard tasks. We welcomed incoming as keeps did appear on fire as they do now, yet there was rarely any incoming. Also worth noting, we often tasked with no Clerics due to the low pop (easy pickings if enemies showed up).

A small and vocal minority of mainly Euro players complained loudly that those gaining rp's during NA primetime (7 - 1am EST) doing tasks was unfair, not in the spirit of the game and abusing tasks. These forums blew up with cries and days later, all tasks were nerfed to the point anyone at RR5 or higher gained hardly any rp's via a penalty/sliding-scale implementation.

Many people left the server (Alb) and the guild I was in disappeared within a week or two after seeing such a low reward to taking keeps/killing guards, which was the ONLY WAY to gain rps. The server shuttered 4-6 months later.

- gaining rp's in the frontiers is the only viable way to sustain your NA population
- stop pandering and catering to people who have the luxury of playing when the pop is high enough for actual RvR.

Tasks are the only way this server will stay open IMHO. No one wants to PvE endlessly. No one wants to reroll toons or realm hop when they have lvl 50's that are stuck not gaining rp's.

You make some good points here. I would like you to know that Some members of both the staff and the player council live in North America. Your views are represented in council / staff discussions.
Gil DaTroll - Merlin Zerker | MacDeath - Uth1 Armsman | Gil - Uth2 Zerker | Macdeath - Uth2 Armsman

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Jan 25, 2019 01:13

Gilded wrote:The population on Uthgard 1 was as dismal, maybe even worse, than were seeing now for NA timezones. The Euro pop was high enough to sustain rvr action.

Well, that's not true. You're a nice guy Gilded, but you guys never even wanted to fight other players. I basically got from rr5 to rr6 just by hunting you guys all over the frontiers. Often we were a 4-5 man against your full group and many times only with aug healer and no pac. Granted, you guys really ran a weird setup with infi, 2x minstrel and often only 1 cleric. However, you did have months and months to roll alts and you still kept your dumb setup while avoiding inc. Towards the end you got kind of an 8man and tried to RvR, but it wasn't too good. Some of you were rr9 + and we often completely threw tactics out of the window and tank trained Shinano(even healers and shaman were hitting and not doing their job) just to see who gets the deathblow once you burn instants and he uses his IP2 or 3.

Fact of the matter is, while during NA prime time there weren't as many people on, most Albs just didn't want to RvR. It's not as though action wasn't out, you didn't want to fight players for the most part, and that's true for NA albs on uth1 overall with one exception, that sorc USA always tried to build pugs around midnight EST. Hibs always came out to fight and we didn't even want to hunt you when they were out and Nayeh, Gynsu, Austerim etc. often built ****** setups but they always wanted to fight players. Anyone who quits the game because guard tasks and keep takes give less RPS to higher rrs should not be playing this game anyway. Even on weekends you guys never wanted to fight players for the most part.

Again, it's very simple. Most people don't want to RvR, they want to win. Nobody wants to learn how to play and have fun challenging themselves against similar number of opponents in a fight where they have only themselves and their friends to blame for loss and where the victory belongs only to them as well. People start with each reboot with a lot of enthusiasm and big plans and one by one their group disappears. This game is not for everyone, a lot of decent pugs and set groups are always around and people are too scared to fight them and get better, so they choose to whine on forum, reroll their 10th level 50, endlessly pve and so on. If all these people just went out to the frontiers, there would be plenty of action for everyone. Sadly, most of these people want a keep taking simulator with no inc, it is what it is.

And lol at @Gil about the "your views are represented in the council/staff discussion". Almost 20 year old game, a free shard full of horrible noobs with most decent players probably gone forever and people take themselves so seriously to the point where they actually name something PLAYER COUNCIL, absolutely ridiculous. You'd think these people are presidents and prime ministers of countries the way they talk and how seriously they take themselves. Especially since some of them are literally keep taking bots with dead horse like reflexes and no desire to improve at the actual game. I swear, Uthgard sometimes really seems like a neverending episode of the Twilight Zone.

In all seriousness, I've seen a lot of trash horror movies from the 80s and some of those movies had terrible, terrible sequels. Still, uthgard2 must be the worst sequel of all time, even those crap movies are masterpiece efforts compared to this. This population of keep taking bots, quasi elitists who couldn't wait to jump on the other server and a bunch of people who quit almost right away is exactly what the staff deserved for wiping a perfectly fine server.
It is what it is.

RazorRamon
Gryphon Knight

Postby RazorRamon » Jan 25, 2019 02:22

Not entirely true. I was very active doing my solo thing before custom features were removed to switch to 1.65 and also a NA player. There was a pleasant mix of everything going on until around 10pm my time(PST) when things started to slow down. Smallman, solo, grps and the occasional Zerg fight. The server was slowly but steadily growing population over the years until 1.65 was decided upon. Removing barrels, adjusting battlegrounds to classic, ditching new RAs, removal of tinderboxes, personal bindstones, RvR mounts, removing Tajendi and implementing item degredation for it's content. It all happened in a relatively short amount of time and managed to upset everyone from the hardcore PvEers to the RvRers. Then Genesis releases and the rest is history... but, I digress, yeah RvR tasks etc would be nice.

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Jan 25, 2019 11:04

RazorRamon wrote:

Not entirely true. I was very active doing my solo thing before custom features were removed to switch to 1.65 and also a NA player. There was a pleasant mix of everything going on until around 10pm my time(PST) when things started to slow down. Smallman, solo, grps and the occasional Zerg fight. The server was slowly but steadily growing population over the years until 1.65 was decided upon. Removing barrels, adjusting battlegrounds to classic, ditching new RAs, removal of tinderboxes, personal bindstones, RvR mounts, removing Tajendi and implementing item degredation for it's content. It all happened in a relatively short amount of time and managed to upset everyone from the hardcore PvEers to the RvRers. Then Genesis releases and the rest is history... but, I digress, yeah RvR tasks etc would be nice.

I'm glad someone remembers how things actually went down. We did have new RAs still on uth1(even in the end) and they didn't plan to remove them though, that was a new idiotic idea by some genius after revamp. And we didn't have personal bindstones on uthgard1, that was a genesis feature :D. But yeah, you're 100% right on everything else. I pretty much knew everyone on Midgard and I was in touch with RvR active people on other realms via friends of friends of friends and ofc I've played with people who switched to Mid for a few months and went back to their realms, but we stayed in touch. Most of those people did already design "no tajendi items" templates, myself included. Some of us went as far as making templates so we can just swap our player crafted stuff with the SI items once we get them. If I had to point out one thing that really killed action on all fronts and was largely responsible for killing the solo warfare, it was the barrel removal. Some of us were trying to convince the staff members that most people would have been happy with 10 charges bottles(which is what any reasonable and sensible human being would do anyway, if you got people used to 100 charges for years, meeting them half-way is not just fair and what any decent person would do, but it's also practical), but some geniuses thought 1 charge pots were a great idea. I've known many solo players who actually put in the effort to weekly fill their 2-3 vaults with various potions, but eventually they gave up too cause they couldn't find decent action.
It is what it is.

Alcan
Gryphon Knight

Postby Alcan » Jan 25, 2019 13:13

Love that you say that all that "whine" over low xp is that then this game aint for you but you can whine over ra and pots and what should have been done? lol Valfar i guess that you have a stand till you choose otherwise!

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Jan 25, 2019 13:33

Alcan wrote:Love that you say that all that "whine" over low xp is that then this game aint for you but you can whine over ra and pots and what should have been done? lol Valfar i guess that you have a stand till you choose otherwise!

Well, my subhuman nimrod friend...even though your bloodline has clearly been bypassed by evolution, at the very least you should learn to read with understanding. I did not whine, I just said that if I had to point out one reason why most people I know left, pots would be it. Also, I didn't play other servers and was always loyal to Uthgard and till the very end my friends and me tried to convince people to stay and staff not to wipe uth1.

People who whine about XP are people who don't want to RvR, because people who are 100% RvR oriented(and I knew majority of them on uth1 on all realms and on uth2 on mid) never whined about XP, even though they hate PvE more than anything. There is a difference between stating an opinion or discussing balance issues and whining. For example, even though I'm strongly against old RAs and don't like this patch level, I still play on uthgard and will continue to do so. I picked it as my poison and I take it for what it is. Therefore I'm not whining, because I do all the work that needs to be done and I'm self-organized. These people didn't even try, therefore they're whiners.

Unlike these whiners, I actually know how to lead my own raids and I actually RvR and don't beg for handouts, which gives me way more right to discuss something and criticize it as well. People whose first reaction is whining and not asking around on how to make a proper xp group or perhaps finding a pool of people who are willing to help each other with alts until they all get desired classes to 50(maybe 3-4 xp sessions as week at scheduled times), are most definitely not cut out for this game because it's very easy to xp to 50. It was easy even on uthgard1, even for people who joined as late as 2012. or 2013., even though xp was slower.

And for the love of Odin, take a ****** break from daoc and take some English classes. You're on ignore again, I don't want to lose brain cells reading gibberish.
It is what it is.

Alcan
Gryphon Knight

Postby Alcan » Jan 25, 2019 13:36

So you mean that all pre 50 like xpers trying to get to rvr are whiners ? and yes you whine alot but only about after lvl 50 content!

And yes Eng aint my first but if you dont have the braincells to read and understand then pfff!

Glacier
Myrmidon

Postby Glacier » Jan 25, 2019 16:12

Genjiro wrote:OT:
I am working on RvR Quests/Missions right now as yet another missing feature.
They will neither be the same as on Uthgard 1 but will also exceed the originals Mythic implemented back in the day.

Stay tuned!

Thanks Genjiro

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics