A Kiting Hunters advise

Bobbahunter
Warder

Postby Bobbahunter » Mar 03, 2018 20:10

Hi all

Id like to give some of us Hunters a little advise on kiting. I LOVED this game back in the day and glad I found Uthgard. I was the highest RP hunter on Tristan then Bed after the merge long ago. RR11 before I left because of game changes.
My specc if my memory is correct

50 Bow, 43BC, 35 Stealth, 15 spear. Sorry for those who read this before I edited my old spec Edited this 3/5/18

A couple recommendations that helped me a lot:

Learn to use the Camera mouse pan.

Disable camera snap back but have a hotkey for camera reset back to front view

Have a /face hotkey so soon as your enemy/mob changes his aggro you can imediatley shoot them

Have your pet summon and attack keys right next to each other for an instant attack. Mine are on my mouse extra buttons

Get tireless 1 at least. I hear tireless beyond 1 is broken on this server but I had tireless 4 back in the day so Id say get more long wind instead on this server. If it is not broken then tireless 4. I have to do more research into this.

If you are truly a Kiting hunter then you should rarely need your spear, I think mine was at 15

Use the mobs available to charm in the area, I've killed tons of people thinking they got aggro.

No when to start your kite. don't shoot and run right off because most wont follow or cant.

Dye you stuff to match the area.

Sorry but that's all I have for now. Ill try to post more later. My hunters only 28 but leveling fast to see you all out there.

Thanks for reading

Bobbahunter
Bobbahunter
Hunter

Rendiviel
Gryphon Knight

Postby Rendiviel » Mar 30, 2018 15:27

If that's your spec, I suggest going sword over spear for two reasons:
1. Going sword will allow you to have a disease proc on your weapon(s). Disease is a massive bonus to anyone who is trying to kite, since it reduces movement speed. If you want to use more weapon swaps, you could even apply a DoT as well.
2. Going 15 sword gives you access to the Aurora combat style, which is a follow-up to Northern Lights (side-style positional). Aurora has the effect of reducing the targets movement speed. While this is slightly harder to hit than the Engage+Wounding Thrust, it is still relatively easy to do with combat strafing. If you're not going that high into spear and you have a SB as a friend, sword is just a better choice.

Bobbahunter
Warder

Postby Bobbahunter » Apr 09, 2018 18:16

Here's a new Tip I had to do this week

So if i cast my pet by a tree then I run down to another spot then call my pet and hit the /HERE button, then move on, my pet wont stop at the /HERE spot it will keep following until it reaches me then it will stop as if where I am is the /HERE spot.

So what I did was drop 1 arrow on the ground, Tell my pet to go to target, then pick up arrow and move one. My pet will go to where my arrow was and stop, by that time I am 100 feet away. Probably confusing the crap out of stealther peeps following my pet looking for me close by.

I drop an arrow because it is so small and hard for anyone to really see it from a distance.
Bobbahunter
Hunter

Rendiviel
Gryphon Knight

Postby Rendiviel » Apr 11, 2018 16:16

Bobbahunter wrote:Here's a new Tip I had to do this week

So if i cast my pet by a tree then I run down to another spot then call my pet and hit the /HERE button, then move on, my pet wont stop at the /HERE spot it will keep following until it reaches me then it will stop as if where I am is the /HERE spot.

So what I did was drop 1 arrow on the ground, Tell my pet to go to target, then pick up arrow and move one. My pet will go to where my arrow was and stop, by that time I am 100 feet away. Probably confusing the crap out of stealther peeps following my pet looking for me close by.

I drop an arrow because it is so small and hard for anyone to really see it from a distance.

That's so evil and I love it

Bobbahunter
Warder

Postby Bobbahunter » Apr 24, 2018 20:07

Its all coming back to me now :)

Next Tip

While your pet is out. It can be far enough away you cant see it and would be in the /stay position. If your stealthed and you see someone run by you ( stealthed or not) immediately /follow and /attack with your pet while they are still close enough to send pet.

Your pet will then follow them from wherever it is and hit them even if they are out of your range and stealthed. This is great for someone like a NS or INF that gets some distance between you and then your dog uncovers them. They have no idea where you are and you have all the time to Shoot. They will have no choice but to engage your dog :)

Plus if they manage to stun your dog and restealth WATCH YOUR DOG if it is headed back to you then the stealther is between you and your dog :( RUN lol untill dog uncovers them again.

Ill probably have more tips as I hit the big leagues RVR

So if this sounds a little confusing, Your pet is an extension of YOU. like if you get off a shot at someone before they zone into a keep, the arrow still hits. So if you are close enough to an enemy that you could sick your dog on then it WILL attack if you tell it to no matter where it is. It will lock on until it hits the target like an arrow
Thanks again.
Bobbahunter
Hunter

Bobbahunter
Warder

Postby Bobbahunter » Apr 28, 2018 18:03

I’ve been doing a little testing with my pet and other enemy pets. I like to leave my pet out so Incase It gets mezzed or stunned when I’m in a fight my insta pup is ready. So what Im pretty sure happens is. If the enemy pet attacks your pet and your dog hits back (defense) now their pet will lock on to you once doggie dies. But if your pet is passive and their pet attacks it. Once dog dies their pet Loses all Aggro. I’ve tried this a few times and every time they find me :(. Unless I put my pet on passive.
Bobbahunter
Hunter

Basilisk
Guardian

Postby Basilisk » Jul 02, 2018 16:14

Using hills also gives you increased bow range. Good for killing people leaving DL/DC.

Return to Hunter