Paladin: Help Me Understand :)

MaSQue
Warder

Postby MaSQue » Feb 26, 2017 00:47

I have not played DAoC in a 100 years it seems, and only once did I play a Tank (an Armsman). I was always more with Support and Casters. This auto train thing, I kinda need help understand how I go about doing this.

What spec should I go if I level normally and what skills do I leave alone till 48 and let auto train? Can someone give me some info on specing and what to not touch and auto train? I think I was told earlier today to auto train slash and chants? (chants auto train?) and go a crush/shielded spec for leveling? Nah! I guess I need some help guys lol (it's been a long while)

edit: Also my starting points need to go into which stats?

Nezix
Phoenix Knight

Postby Nezix » Feb 26, 2017 03:16

Well, you don't have to auto train.

While it might give you a slightly better spec, leveling with auto-trained chants is going to make your life hell. Expect to get booted from group as soon as you tell them you don't have any real endo regen.

Are you making this character for all aspects of the game? Or something more specific like RvR or PvE raids?

RvR Paladin: (no autotraining)
44 Thrust (snare for peeling)
42 Shield
47 Chants
3 Parry

If you were to autotrain chants till 36 you could go 48 chants for the heat resist, which is nice against hib debuffs when most alb groups do not run a friar. Also good for the dragon raid for the same reason.

PvE Paladin: (no autotraining)
37 Slash
42 Shield
19 Parry
48 Chants

If you specced Crush until 40, then respeced with the free respec @ 40 into Slash you would basically add +3 parry to that.
You could add another 3 if you did the same with chants, and more if you waited until 48.

But again, auto training chants is pretty rough.
Nezix - 50 Minstrel <The Band>

Merlin: Arthur, what is best in life?
Arthur: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their Lurikeens.

MaSQue
Warder

Postby MaSQue » Feb 28, 2017 01:50

Or something more specific like RvR or PvE raids?

I plan to just Plvl it with a friend to 50 I guess.

Nunki
Myrmidon

Postby Nunki » Feb 28, 2017 11:27

MaSQue wrote:I have not played DAoC in a 100 years it seems, and only once did I play a Tank (an Armsman). I was always more with Support and Casters. This auto train thing, I kinda need help understand how I go about doing this.

What spec should I go if I level normally and what skills do I leave alone till 48 and let auto train? Can someone give me some info on specing and what to not touch and auto train? I think I was told earlier today to auto train slash and chants? (chants auto train?) and go a crush/shielded spec for leveling? Nah! I guess I need some help guys lol (it's been a long while)

edit: Also my starting points need to go into which stats?

Some Autotrain infos: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=13665
Yes, if you don't spec Chants / Slash, you will get free points.
Therefore if you want to autotrain a Paladin, spec crush + shield.

On the other side, autotraining (Chants) is not really elemental for Paladins.

If you want to lvl without autotrain, still go for Crush (free AT points on slash).

MaSQue wrote:Or something more specific like RvR or PvE raids?

Nezix told you the typical RvR and PvE Specs. Paladins are great in PvE, any kind of PvE Raids.
For 8x8 RvR, choose the 44 thrust spec (saracene).

I guess, I would go for 10dex / 10str / (10 qui or const or piety).

If you both don't care for elitist 8x8 RvR and simply want some PvE fun together, Paladin + Friar is an amazing PvE duo. ;)

Sonsi
Warder

Postby Sonsi » Feb 28, 2017 22:50

I completely fail to see the point of AT.

AT Chants really isn't an option unless you are flipping off the devs and using a second account to PL your Paladin.
At which point someone should stop you and question your logic of choosing a paladin to PL.

AT Slash is equally pointless as all it gives you is ~1.5% chance to parry at level 50... and all you have to give up is all the decent weapons in Albion between 1 and 48, and manage to score a 5pp Dragon respec stone.

Nunki
Myrmidon

Postby Nunki » Mar 09, 2017 13:59

Sonsi wrote:I completely fail to see the point of AT.

AT Chants really isn't an option unless you are flipping off the devs and using a second account to PL your Paladin.
At which point someone should stop you and question your logic of choosing a paladin to PL.

AT Slash is equally pointless as all it gives you is ~1.5% chance to parry at level 50... and all you have to give up is all the decent weapons in Albion between 1 and 48, and manage to score a 5pp Dragon respec stone.

Agreed.
Most Paladin Specs don't necessarily need AT points, this may change for hybrid Specs, or if you want to min max your utility.

Anyway, you also don't need a 5pp respec stone, there is a free respec at 40 to change the weapon line, no need to suffer until 48. :P

Greetings

imamizer
Gryphon Knight

Postby imamizer » Mar 10, 2017 10:22

Sonsi wrote:I completely fail to see the point of AT.

The point is the spec. Some specs require it.

Sonsi wrote:AT Chants really isn't an option unless you are flipping off the devs and using a second account to PL your Paladin.

People spam invites and whispers if you are not /anon as a paladin, and start whining when they learn you are not the paladin they want. That whining was the only downside for me. No, you don't need PL at all.

Sonsi wrote:AT Slash is equally pointless as all it gives you is ~1.5% chance to parry at level 50... and all you have to give up is all the decent weapons in Albion between 1 and 48, and manage to score a 5pp Dragon respec stone.

If you are going to play pure slash paladin, then it's a pve toon and yes you don't even need any kind of AT. But if you want a decent build, that's another story. Paladin is not a dmg dealer so you don't need the best weapons in albion. You need the best taunt to spam, which comes from crush line :)

Hibenosa
Myrmidon

Postby Hibenosa » Mar 13, 2017 11:21

Thinking about rolling a (mostyl PvE) Paladin.

Rolle A saracen Fighter, cause i thought high dex--> high blocking rate.

So IS a common specc something like

42 Shield
48 Chants
XX Thrust
1X-2X Parry?

Or is thrust specc not usable for PvE?
Hibenosa, Legendary Alchemist and Infiltrator, 50

Hibenes, Legendary Tailor and Necromancer, 50

Hibenas, Legendary Spellcrafter and Cleric, 50

Hibenusa, Legendary Armorcrafter and Paladin, 50

imamizer
Gryphon Knight

Postby imamizer » Mar 14, 2017 12:29

Hibenosa wrote:Thinking about rolling a (mostyl PvE) Paladin.

Rolle A saracen Fighter, cause i thought high dex--> high blocking rate.

So IS a common specc something like

42 Shield
48 Chants
XX Thrust
1X-2X Parry?

Or is thrust specc not usable for PvE?

The formula for block is;
block rate = 5 + (((dex*2) - 100) / 40) + (shield/2) + mob

Dex doesn't increase your block rating that much. Even having 30 more dex gives saracen 1,5% block rating over highlander which has the lowest dex. You say "mostly PvE" but with 48 chants, 42 shields you will not have any kind of snare even with fully AT. You won't be able to peel with a spec like that.

I would go highlander (saracen works too, your taunt will hit for less but you will have 1,5% more block) with 48 chants, 42 shield, 39 slash, 15 (23 with fully AT) parry for a "mostly PvE" paladin. That works better for both PvE and RvR (you get side snare at least).

If you really wanna play a saracen thrust paladin, you should drop your chants and go for 42 shield, 44 thrust, 42-46 chants, rest parry in my opinion.

Return to Paladin