Thane or Zerk

Public communication platform for all Midgard players.
Rojek
Guardian

Postby Rojek » Nov 18, 2012 16:57

Kinda of conflicted between which one to play. I am an old school Reaver player (had 3 of them) .
Pro's and Cons please.

Akip
Alerion Knight

Postby Akip » Nov 18, 2012 17:19

zerkers:
pro:
  • best melee dps in the game
  • wanted in rvr
con: ? :X
  • bit monoton maybe,
  • solo is bit rough
  • pretty decent for solo
con:
  • never gets a slot for 8v8,

pweet
Lion Knight

Postby pweet » Nov 18, 2012 17:46

Dont create a Thane if you dont want to solo. And for solo, dont roll a visible class :D

pythion
Eagle Knight

Postby pythion » Nov 18, 2012 17:51

people have failed to mention that thanes are more open to creative and flamboyant names regarding thunder and lightning
__________________RvR Videos - Pyth UI_____________________

blackitalian
Warder

Postby blackitalian » Nov 19, 2012 00:00

You can get a group with a thane if you build a rep of not being a mezz breaker. Thanes can assist melee or cast if played well. Problem is so many people are button mashers and thanes have an undeserved rep. The thane is a lot more fun IMO. So if you build a thane, get in a guild, they will teach you how to use it properly. Have different bars for different situations. ex. in my melee bar I don't have my AOE on it (so I don't beak a mezz by accident). Being able to shield bash or AOE when needed is great. Get a small shield and silly inf/ranger will not realize you are a thane!!!... unless you have a thunder/thor type name.

Raggnar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Raggnar » Nov 19, 2012 20:14

blackitalian wrote:You can get a group with a thane if you build a rep of not being a mezz breaker. Thanes can assist melee or cast if played well. Problem is so many people are button mashers and thanes have an undeserved rep. The thane is a lot more fun IMO. So if you build a thane, get in a guild, they will teach you how to use it properly. Have different bars for different situations. ex. in my melee bar I don't have my AOE on it (so I don't beak a mezz by accident). Being able to shield bash or AOE when needed is great. Get a small shield and silly inf/ranger will not realize you are a thane!!!... unless you have a thunder/thor type name.

Thane is still a ****** group class as def tank. As thane, you have no stoicism + you have no access to dashing defense so it's kinda fail. You are are a bit of everything, but you excel at nothing. I can't possibly see why would someone run thane as defensive tank, and if you wanna fill the last slot, second RM/skald is a better solution. Paladins can get away with having no stoicism or dashing defense purely because they are endo bots(and have access to some group friendly abilites like VR and AOTG at higher rr's) and are 90% of the time not the only slammers/guarders in Albion groups. Thane is not a real dps, a real rupter, or a real tank(for any role thane could theoretically play, there is a better class that excels at it) + does not have group friendly RA's. If you wanna have fun, roll a solo thane and enjoy :).

"He was concerned only with the naked fundamentals of life. The warm intimacies of small, kindly things, the sentiments and delicious trivialities that make up so much of civilized men's lives were meaningless to him. A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs. Bloodshed and violence and savagery were the natural elements of the life Conan knew; he could not, and would never, understand the little things that are so dear to civilized men and women."

Cadam
Gryphon Knight

Postby Cadam » Nov 20, 2012 10:34

its true that there are always better classes for single abilitys, but the thanes strength is that he is a combination of several strong abilitys... good players know it and will group you if you are a good player aswell, but in reality most ppl are poor standard setup players and do not see across the horizon.. sad but true

Xacrag
Phoenix Knight

Postby Xacrag » Nov 20, 2012 12:08

Well you need atleast Det5,Purge3 and Mob3 to be really usefull as Thane. A fullcapped Template isn´t as cheap also and you need a good coordinated group as Thane to be really usefull. The good thing is you can do in the fight what is needed, but i agree to Raggnar that most time it´s better to play w/o Thane.

Raggnar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Raggnar » Nov 20, 2012 13:53

Cadam wrote:its true that there are always better classes for single abilitys, but the thanes strength is that he is a combination of several strong abilitys... good players know it and will group you if you are a good player aswell, but in reality most ppl are poor standard setup players and do not see across the horizon.. sad but true

Thane is a sucky def tank, so I can only see it as a group filler, and for that(believe it or not) there are classes with group friendly abilities, like a skald :). To be semi effective at anything, you really need det 5 and purge 3, otherwise you will stand routed and nearsighted like a retard 2 out of 3 fights most of the time. Sure, a very good player and whole group that is used to playing with a thane could do good, but same players would do way better with skald or RM instead of thane. It's not a group friendly class, period.

"He was concerned only with the naked fundamentals of life. The warm intimacies of small, kindly things, the sentiments and delicious trivialities that make up so much of civilized men's lives were meaningless to him. A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs. Bloodshed and violence and savagery were the natural elements of the life Conan knew; he could not, and would never, understand the little things that are so dear to civilized men and women."

vangonaj
Alerion Knight

Postby vangonaj » Nov 20, 2012 13:54

Play zerker no one want thanes in group.

Celteen
Alerion Knight

Postby Celteen » Nov 20, 2012 13:57

It's a myth that you need to be a good player as a thane to get a 8vs8 grp.
It's also a myth that 'good' grps will see that you are a good thane and invite you.
It's a fact that thanes are poor 8vs8 chars and warriors will get the def slot anytime.
<<< This avatar is handmade by Inotor Wurzelbert : )
Check out the Mampfer-Threads for more.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25079
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26934

Suax01
Gryphon Knight

Postby Suax01 » Nov 20, 2012 17:42

He did not ask for the better 8vs8 class :wall:

Play what you want dude,- join a non elite guild and you'll get a slot, even with a thane :)

greetings

Akip
Alerion Knight

Postby Akip » Nov 20, 2012 20:17

ye join highmute and co to be the #1

pythion
Eagle Knight

Postby pythion » Nov 20, 2012 20:21

suax is clearly a thane
__________________RvR Videos - Pyth UI_____________________

Cadam
Gryphon Knight

Postby Cadam » Nov 24, 2012 14:32

well i dont want to say that thane is the better deftank, but he is very good at being the secondary def tank,rupter,range assister and so on... you ppl always only see black and white....look over the horizon!
i did very well with my thane and always get invited to my guildgrp if i want to

Next

Return to Midgard