So...

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Vardils
Warder

Postby Vardils » Nov 21, 2021 20:46

Hi everyone, this thread is about if it's worth starting on Uthgard. I've aways had a love for DAOC and its first stages of the game. I could honestly play it forever. I do notice the population being very low though and remain low ever since other freeshards. I am CST time zone and have been having that itch. Should i make a return on Uthgard and start with a farming character? Will the low population effect endgame pve/pvp... will there ever be a return in high pop? What is yalls opinion?

madskaizer
Eagle Knight

Postby madskaizer » Nov 21, 2021 21:35

Getting leveled up is hard, due to the population. There is however still exp groups to find here and there. Some alliances run weekly exp nights and RvR nights.

Roughly cut up, Albion has 2-3fg in RvR, Midgard/Hibernia has 1-2fg. Look at the herald for Last week rp and keep taking, there is a decent RvR action every evening.

Time zone can be an issue, but logging on will fix that, more players will attract more players.

Noone can tell about the future. Enjoy Uthgard while its here. If you look at the history of Uthgard/freeshards, its best to just play if you want to, it could be gone tomorrow, it could live for another 10 years... :wink:
Uthgard 2.0 auto-bestiary Zones, maps, monsters, locations, items, drop rates and statistics.
DAoC game mechanics information templates, realm ranks, spell dmg type, melee speed, blocking, exp/group calculation
Alb <M Y T H>: Citybilens, 50 Minstrel, Muchthinarms, 49 Paladin & Boltsarebroken, 48 Wizard
Hib: April, 50 Eldritch
Mid <Myth>: Direktoeren, 50 Shaman, Flammespyd, 50 Runemaster & Skambankeren, 50 Berzerker

also Tesla coil and high voltage is my hobby

Gilded
Myrmidon

Postby Gilded » Nov 22, 2021 02:04

Important to note this game is heavily European populated, so action during North American weekdays is decent, and weekends are even better.

Now for NA nights... Alb and Hib are lower than Mid at the moment, but things change as some realm hop, leave and return, etc...

You will be tasking to 20 on all toons (look for threads, stickies or Google), but after that it can get rough esp. if solo.

PL / XP groups happen, though not as often as the good old days.

Best advice I'd give you is ASK for help if you need it, use the LFG channel. Some groups will take you even lvl 20ish for keep takes to at least help with starter RA's.

Best of luck with w/e you choose.

Spivo
Eagle Knight

Postby Spivo » Nov 22, 2021 07:45

And pick a class that can both solo in PvE, and is also wanted for RvR.

You might not think it's what you wanted to play, but struggling to lvl 40+ and finding out your class sucks in RvR is really a bummer :)

Generally casters are good at leveling up, and also used in RvR, also easy to template.
Albion and having fun

Vardils
Warder

Postby Vardils » Nov 23, 2021 02:02

Thank you everyone for the reply :). I am considering a realm at the moment. Midgard or Abion? Never been a fan of the hiblets :P but could go there if need be. I must say the music is rather relaxing in Hib land.

wachawacha
Myrmidon

Postby wachawacha » Nov 24, 2021 03:02

Vardils wrote:Thank you everyone for the reply :). I am considering a realm at the moment. Midgard or Abion? Never been a fan of the hiblets :P but could go there if need be. I must say the music is rather relaxing in Hib land.

Alb has the fewest people on in NA hours normally, and Mid will have a decent population, usually around 10-20 during NA evenings. You'll probably find more PLs on Mid than Alb during NA hours, but vice versa during EU Hours

Kayd
Warder

Postby Kayd » Nov 27, 2021 04:29

If there was at least alternative ways to gain RPs at level 50, then people would have something to which to look forward after completing the grind. But currently, it's hit 50 and go almost nowhere unless you can play at very specific times to participate in the VERY LIMITED keep take and RvR action here.

fremster
Eagle Knight

Postby fremster » Nov 30, 2021 12:32

Kayd wrote:If there was at least alternative ways to gain RPs at level 50, then people would have something to which to look forward after completing the grind. But currently, it's hit 50 and go almost nowhere unless you can play at very specific times to participate in the VERY LIMITED keep take and RvR action here.

You sound like a broken record.

Allyk123
Myrmidon

Postby Allyk123 » Nov 30, 2021 15:10

Kayd wrote:If there was at least alternative ways to gain RPs at level 50, then people would have something to which to look forward after completing the grind. But currently, it's hit 50 and go almost nowhere unless you can play at very specific times to participate in the VERY LIMITED keep take and RvR action here.

RVR seems pretty active to me recently. Had a great night yesterday and it wasn't scheduled.

Ithiggi
Gryphon Knight

Postby Ithiggi » Dec 01, 2021 19:14

Ya been having fun lately in rvr

Wakefield
Myrmidon

Postby Wakefield » Dec 01, 2021 19:23

Over there made it too easy to get rps just by taking empty keeps or even just dying by keep guards.

Look where it ended up.

Too easy mode rps is ****** and does nothing.

You could in theory pve to rr7+ without ever actually fighting anything but npcs.

I getvthere should be something, but tasks is just worthless. I don't might taking keeps, as long as there is defence. If not, I'd rather just log and play something else
Wakefield 50 Rej Cleric
Thaddea 50 Sight Necro
Misswhiplash 48 Reaver
On Holiday!
We Play for Keeps

Wakefeld 26 Druid

madskaizer
Eagle Knight

Postby madskaizer » Dec 01, 2021 22:47

Random EU prime time keep takes on a Wednesday...

"VERY LIMITED keep take and RvR action here"

keeps.jpg
Uthgard 2.0 auto-bestiary Zones, maps, monsters, locations, items, drop rates and statistics.
DAoC game mechanics information templates, realm ranks, spell dmg type, melee speed, blocking, exp/group calculation
Alb <M Y T H>: Citybilens, 50 Minstrel, Muchthinarms, 49 Paladin & Boltsarebroken, 48 Wizard
Hib: April, 50 Eldritch
Mid <Myth>: Direktoeren, 50 Shaman, Flammespyd, 50 Runemaster & Skambankeren, 50 Berzerker

also Tesla coil and high voltage is my hobby

Allyk123
Myrmidon

Postby Allyk123 » Dec 02, 2021 01:55

madskaizer wrote:

Random EU prime time keep takes on a Wednesday...

"VERY LIMITED keep take and RvR action here"

keeps.jpg

Active all week EU evening. Had a great time recently.

LarryDavid1
Warder

Postby LarryDavid1 » Dec 03, 2021 19:37

Imo DAOC needs at least 200 people in the RvR zones to make the action feel constant enough to justify logging in.
Thats just my opinion and my personal opportunity cost to forgo doing other things either in irl or on other games/servers.

I played back in September when the population was up around 120 during EU time due to the xp bonus and doppels, and that felt pretty horrible with nothing to do.

I am genuinely curious how you guys find action when during eu prime there are only 60 players playing.
<Amateur Hour>
Mid NA

Antiks
Gryphon Knight

Postby Antiks » Dec 03, 2021 20:31

LarryDavid1 wrote:
I am genuinely curious how you guys find action when during eu prime there are only 60 players playing.

The action is centered around Keep sieges and defense, with little to no open field fighting ( unless the bigger fish happens to catch the little fish on the way to the keep they choose to defend ). The use of the herald is key to first predicting what targets are most likely to be attacked and also for ascertaining the target when they see a keep on fire. Given that a timeframe pattern has been well established for most of the keep takes it is fairly easy to know when to log in to participate, however there are some times in which this falls outside of the pattern ( early morning/afternoon EU or late NA ) and those sieges are generally undefended save for maybe a solo or duo that might happen to be on.

Next

Return to General Topics