General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
rawkfist
Myrmidon

Postby rawkfist » Nov 10, 2021 01:17

Loved the last ones and just wondering.

Teufelhund
Warder

Postby Teufelhund » Nov 14, 2021 21:19

rawkfist wrote:Loved the last ones and just wondering.

They've avoided direct answers to this question, they dance around it and simply won't come out and say something about it. They've been in threads with the questions asked like this, and avoid it like an AMA when a dude shows up to promote a movie and someone asks about the elephant in the room and no response to that question, ever.

This should set the expectation that it won't happen. Another bizarre chapter in Uthgard's history. They finally touched on something that increases population, at a particular opportune time while other servers are down, and they simply have lost the plot with these moves/actions/inactions. But if you are an older fart like me around 40 and have paid attention to the decisions over the last 5-10 years, well....

The fact they don't simply reach out and take the population that's just sitting there by doing events (already done so just re-implement) shows their hand a bit to me. It's either lethargy/apathy at this point, or they want it to drop so low they can finally take this server out behind the shed and give it both barrels.

Clanggedin
Warder

Postby Clanggedin » Nov 15, 2021 04:47

Teufelhund wrote:
rawkfist wrote:Loved the last ones and just wondering.

They've avoided direct answers to this question, they dance around it and simply won't come out and say something about it. They've been in threads with the questions asked like this, and avoid it like an AMA when a dude shows up to promote a movie and someone asks about the elephant in the room and no response to that question, ever.

This should set the expectation that it won't happen. Another bizarre chapter in Uthgard's history. They finally touched on something that increases population, at a particular opportune time while other servers are down, and they simply have lost the plot with these moves/actions/inactions. But if you are an older fart like me around 40 and have paid attention to the decisions over the last 5-10 years, well....

The fact they don't simply reach out and take the population that's just sitting there by doing events (already done so just re-implement) shows their hand a bit to me. It's either lethargy/apathy at this point, or they want it to drop so low they can finally take this server out behind the shed and give it both barrels.

LOL. My thoughts exactly.

I came back to this server during the exp bonus event. It was very satisfying to see real progress the few times I played. However, without a bonus I don't think I'll bother wasting my time here. I just don't have the time to grind out this game again with god awful exp rates.

Such a shame to witness the fall of this once mighty server... mainly due to neglect. Guess it had to happen eventually though.

Abydos
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Abydos » Nov 15, 2021 14:06

Clanggedin wrote: It was very satisfying to see real progress the few times I played.

Play more, you'll get more progress.

Classic DAOC will never be fast like modern MMORPGs.

munchies
Myrmidon

Postby munchies » Nov 15, 2021 14:39

Abydos wrote:
Clanggedin wrote: It was very satisfying to see real progress the few times I played.

Wow, what a comeback from the staff. Sorry, but this attitute killed the server.

madskaizer
Eagle Knight

Postby madskaizer » Nov 15, 2021 20:02

munchies wrote:
Abydos wrote:

Wow, what a comeback from the staff. Sorry, but this attitute killed the server.

See the bottom post here: viewtopic.php?p=482930#p482930

If the bonus is implemented a forever change, then people will just ask for a additional bonus. The new normal becomes... normal and people will want it faster again.
Uthgard 2.0 auto-bestiary Zones, maps, monsters, locations, items, drop rates and statistics.
DAoC game mechanics information templates, realm ranks, spell dmg type, melee speed, blocking, exp/group calculation
Alb <M Y T H>: Citybilens, 50 Minstrel, Muchthinarms, 49 Paladin & Boltsarebroken, 48 Wizard
Hib: April, 50 Eldritch
Mid <Myth>: Direktoeren, 50 Shaman, Flammespyd, 50 Runemaster & Skambankeren, 50 Berzerker

also Tesla coil and high voltage is my hobby

Wakefield
Myrmidon

Postby Wakefield » Nov 19, 2021 01:04

Abydos wrote:

With the lack of players here, it feels more like just an ORPG as you see noone.

Hours of soloing is ******.
Wakefield 50 Rej Cleric
Thaddea 50 Sight Necro
Misswhiplash 48 Reaver
On Holiday!
We Play for Keeps

Wakefeld 26 Druid

albeyond
Gryphon Knight

Postby albeyond » Nov 19, 2021 17:54

I'm kind of shocked this server still keeps the lights on. Props to Blue for supporting the few people that still find it fun to log in

madskaizer
Eagle Knight

Postby madskaizer » Nov 19, 2021 20:45

albeyond wrote:I'm kind of shocked this server still keeps the lights on. Props to Blue for supporting the few people that still find it fun to log in

Lets us all just be friends.
Uthgard 2.0 auto-bestiary Zones, maps, monsters, locations, items, drop rates and statistics.
DAoC game mechanics information templates, realm ranks, spell dmg type, melee speed, blocking, exp/group calculation
Alb <M Y T H>: Citybilens, 50 Minstrel, Muchthinarms, 49 Paladin & Boltsarebroken, 48 Wizard
Mid <Myth>: Direktoeren, 50 Shaman, Flammespyd, 50 Runemaster & Skambankeren, 50 Berzerker

rawkfist
Myrmidon

Postby rawkfist » Nov 20, 2021 00:22

Wakefield wrote:
Abydos wrote:

With the lack of players here, it feels more like just an ORPG as you see noone.

Hours of soloing is ******.

I agree with this. If you play more you will get more progress BUT how much more? When you are forced to solo, because of the lack of players, the progress is just sooooooo slow. At least with that last bonus, if I couldnt find a group and i had to solo, the xp felt like I was in a group. Why not make a permanent bonus for people soloing only. Low pop means you are forced to solo.

madskaizer
Eagle Knight

Postby madskaizer » Nov 20, 2021 09:17

rawkfist wrote:I agree with this. If you play more you will get more progress BUT how much more? When you are forced to solo, because of the lack of players, the progress is just sooooooo slow. At least with that last bonus, if I couldnt find a group and i had to solo, the xp felt like I was in a group. Why not make a permanent bonus for people soloing only. Low pop means you are forced to solo.

Its a very fine line to walk, before you remove the incentive to even group. Have to be careful with promoting soloing too much. Soloing does deserve a boost at low pop, but it would also make groups non-existent during low pop.

Wakefield
Myrmidon

Postby Wakefield » Nov 20, 2021 12:26

Its a very fine line to walk, before you remove the incentive to even group. Have to be careful with promoting soloing too much. Soloing does deserve a boost at low pop, but it would also make groups non-existent during low pop.

They already are non existent, that's why I don't bother even loading up the game when I see 25 players on.
Wakefield 50 Rej Cleric
Thaddea 50 Sight Necro
Misswhiplash 48 Reaver
On Holiday!
We Play for Keeps

Wakefeld 26 Druid

carnalito
Gryphon Knight

Postby carnalito » Nov 25, 2021 14:07

madskaizer wrote:If the bonus is implemented a forever change, then people will just ask for a additional bonus. The new normal becomes... normal and people will want it faster again.

I for one would rather play on a populated server with a bonus, and than empty one without the bonuses. Clearly, the server population went up quite a bit during the bonus event, and I imagine it would boost the population even further if it was stated, for example, that the bonus would be in effect for a year.

wachawacha
Myrmidon

Postby wachawacha » Nov 25, 2021 21:44

carnalito wrote:
madskaizer wrote:If the bonus is implemented a forever change, then people will just ask for a additional bonus. The new normal becomes... normal and people will want it faster again.

I for one would rather play on a populated server with a bonus, and than empty one without the bonuses. Clearly, the server population went up quite a bit during the bonus event, and I imagine it would boost the population even further if it was stated, for example, that the bonus would be in effect for a year.

What makes the most sense is to just have different bonuses all the time, kinda like how clothing stores have sales all the time, so the extra XP ends up always being there, but isn't seen as the norm.

I'd like to see someone be able to hit 50 in a month of casual solo play, not 6.

Kayd
Warder

Postby Kayd » Nov 27, 2021 04:25

I don't mind the slow pace at all; HOWEVER, there really needs to be alternative SLOW PACE method of gaining RPs vs just Keeps and almost non-existent RvR.

Return to General Topics