Any word on if the XP event could be extended?

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Bcopeland
Warder

Postby Bcopeland » Sep 20, 2021 23:58

I know what the initial post says. I was wondering if there was any thought of extending it past the end of the month?

madskaizer
Eagle Knight

Postby madskaizer » Sep 21, 2021 08:50

If you do not see any posts about it in News section, its most likely not going to be extended. But from what I read, they do plan to run events like this more frequent. But there has been no indications of making it permanent.
Uthgard 2.0 auto-bestiary Zones, maps, monsters, locations, items, drop rates and statistics.
DAoC game mechanics information templates, realm ranks, spell dmg type, melee speed, blocking, exp/group calculation
Alb <M Y T H>: Citybilens, 50 Minstrel, Muchthinarms, 49 Paladin & Boltsarebroken, 48 Wizard
Hib: April, 50 Eldritch
Mid <Myth>: Direktoeren, 50 Shaman, Flammespyd, 50 Runemaster & Skambankeren, 50 Berzerker

also Tesla coil and high voltage is my hobby

Antiks
Gryphon Knight

Postby Antiks » Sep 21, 2021 18:49

I have definitely noticed among returning and new players a lot more enthusiasm and willingness to play more and level up with the XP bonuses, so in my opinion keeping a modified increased rate would greatly benefit the playerbase and the server as a whole. However, getting money still seems to be an issue for those same players so it would be nice if there were something to aid them so they can finish their tradeskills and afford templates etc.

madskaizer
Eagle Knight

Postby madskaizer » Sep 21, 2021 22:58

Antiks wrote:I have definitely noticed among returning and new players a lot more enthusiasm and willingness to play more and level up with the XP bonuses, so in my opinion keeping a modified increased rate would greatly benefit the playerbase and the server as a whole. However, getting money still seems to be an issue for those same players so it would be nice if there were something to aid them so they can finish their tradeskills and afford templates etc.

Classic example of a complex problem trying to be solved by adjusting single parameters.

Faster exp was nice, we just ended up 50 with no gold for templates :)
Uthgard 2.0 auto-bestiary Zones, maps, monsters, locations, items, drop rates and statistics.
DAoC game mechanics information templates, realm ranks, spell dmg type, melee speed, blocking, exp/group calculation
Alb <M Y T H>: Citybilens, 50 Minstrel, Muchthinarms, 49 Paladin & Boltsarebroken, 48 Wizard
Hib: April, 50 Eldritch
Mid <Myth>: Direktoeren, 50 Shaman, Flammespyd, 50 Runemaster & Skambankeren, 50 Berzerker

also Tesla coil and high voltage is my hobby

wachawacha
Myrmidon

Postby wachawacha » Sep 22, 2021 17:58

madskaizer wrote:
Antiks wrote:I have definitely noticed among returning and new players a lot more enthusiasm and willingness to play more and level up with the XP bonuses, so in my opinion keeping a modified increased rate would greatly benefit the playerbase and the server as a whole. However, getting money still seems to be an issue for those same players so it would be nice if there were something to aid them so they can finish their tradeskills and afford templates etc.

Classic example of a complex problem trying to be solved by adjusting single parameters.

Faster exp was nice, we just ended up 50 with no gold for templates :)

Templates take lots of grinding, so even without added XP and doing tradeskills, you aren't getting one at 50 without hours of grinding for it or playing with friends. It's better to get people to 50 and let them get cash on mobs that actually drop something worth while, than have them stuck in their 20s making a few silver every kill which is nothing compared to plat you need to temp.

Lewk
Warder

Postby Lewk » Sep 22, 2021 20:52

I really hope they keep the new xp rates. Honestly they don't even feel fast, they still feel slow, but it isn't PAINFULLY slow like it was before.

Returning players are already having a hard time, even with the new xp rates. Go back to the old xp rates and any new/returning players are going to be turned off instantly. The #1 problem why so many left Uthgard in the first place was XP rate. Sure there were QoL, and other things, but at the crux of it was the insane amount of time spent trying to level up, and it didn't feel rewarding, and there wasn't light at the end of the tunnel. With the new rates it is still very challenging, but there is at least the feeling of 1-2 levels of progression in a few hour sit down session, which feels MUCH better.

PLEASE consider KEEPING the xp rates as a permanent feature of Uthgard!

legaleagle
Guardian

Postby legaleagle » Sep 23, 2021 01:44

In an environment where there are very little viable DAOC options and yet population is still this low, not keeping the XP bonus would be a catastrophic decision. In fact, it should be increased and advertised. The time to press to draw players is now. Foot on the gas.

Madae
Gryphon Knight

Postby Madae » Sep 23, 2021 21:53

I have my issues with the exp rate, but altogether it's a good thing. I wouldn't be totally upset at its loss, but I probably won't stick around and play as much with it gone either. Any incentive to have more people play is a good thing. The default xp rate wouldn't be so bad if there was at least people to play with and get some good xp groups going, so we have to take what we can get for incentives.

On a side note, I learned the other day that auto train was taken out. It was one of the main reasons I quit playing last go around, so I'm glad that finally happened. Devs might not get much praise for anything these days, but that change was definitely a good thing.

Genjiro
Developer
Developer

Postby Genjiro » Sep 23, 2021 21:59

Madae wrote:On a side note, I learned the other day that auto train was taken out. It was one of the main reasons I quit playing last go around, so I'm glad that finally happened. Devs might not get much praise for anything these days, but that change was definitely a good thing.

Autotrain has been changed a long time ago back in 2018: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=47178
Quite a few changes were made back then.
News || Getting Started || Rules || Issue Tracker
Coloured text represents my personal opinion and is not associated with Uthgard Staff nor is it an official statement.

Madae
Gryphon Knight

Postby Madae » Sep 23, 2021 22:24

Genjiro wrote:
Madae wrote:On a side note, I learned the other day that auto train was taken out. It was one of the main reasons I quit playing last go around, so I'm glad that finally happened. Devs might not get much praise for anything these days, but that change was definitely a good thing.

Autotrain has been changed a long time ago back in 2018: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=47178
Quite a few changes were made back then.

Yeah, I had read some about it, and the character I've been playing was made about 3 years ago, so it was pretty much right after I left the second time. I had made it to 48 on my Mercenary when I had found out I "ruined" it with AT. Made a Friar instead and played for awhile but the loss of pop and slow grinding had me move on to other things.

Still, it's a good change. And I've been playing more again lately. Can even dust off the Merc.

Return to General Topics