Corona + Uthgard = Love? :D

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Jerrian
Phoenix Knight

Postby Jerrian » Mar 30, 2020 20:37

Kabouik wrote:To be fair, their community is not particularly supportive and this thread shows it. I would certainly be in a burnout too if I had spent hundreds/thousands of hours and euros in making Uthgard what it once was, and then reading what people still active on the forum say. I did spend hundreds of hours on Uthgard, but that was into my toons and I had a blast. Thank you devs, thank you very much. Uthgard will remain my best DAOC experience together with official classic servers.

I am considering returning to my toons and playing despite the low population. I'll go PVE, this way I'll have fun even with the low population and won't be frustrated by the lack of enemies. I hope others do it too during the lockdown. This is probably our best bet, since population is bar far the main reason why we all are frustrated now. Since we obviously want to play, maybe we could just play and cross fingers in hope that others do it too.

SI would be another good incentive, and we keep saying that it could be the spark to make people return. I said it myself. But we can also see it the other way around: a little — tiny — population increase could be a sign for devs to regain hope and motivation and see that their server, the best freeshard DAOC has had and the one that actually made freeshards a thing, is still enjoyable.

Look at Uthgard and tell me if you like what you see and please be serious.

Take it or leave it, that was long time a saying by staff and players left so did staff members in the end. The argument of the ungratefull players is worn out like the whole discussion itself, why care about the past anymore? We are far boyond this point, don ´t talk bad about the dead, I say.

It ´s not a question of guilty it ´s a question if there is a spark for a restart to work on this project again, for a better future of Uthgard. As long as there is no glow we don ´t need to talk about any change. On the other hand not talking about the current problems will ofc not change anything too, but without staff it ´s quite useless, though.

Imho there is no staff left to care about Uthgard anymore. Abydos is the last man standing and I doubt he puts some effort in something unnecessary like SI currently.

Antiks
Gryphon Knight

Postby Antiks » Mar 31, 2020 05:23

Yes I look at Uthgard and I like what I see. Sure there could be issues fixed, like keep lords in walls, xp item turn ins not working, and mob density issues, etc. Outside of that maybe a few QoL like a porter in home city and healers at BK. But that's mostly it really.

What Uthgard doesn't need, is to change to comfort those that think its too slow or too hard and that just want to be able to reach the end game in a couple days. Go play a washed down version of an rpg somewhere else.

Excalibur93
Myrmidon

Postby Excalibur93 » Mar 31, 2020 10:44

Hello,

same here, i love Uthgard how it is and i never felt the need to play Daoc somewhere else. Sure, some more players would be nice, but even with that low player number its ok for me and i still have a lot of fun playing it.

And most important: im very thankfull having the chance to play here and yes, im serious.

Greetings
Excalibur93
Belgarius Paladin Lvl 50
Beldar Cleric Lvl 50
Bevier Friar Lvl 50
Thyrian Wizard Lvl 50
Beldien Theurg Lvl 50
Belmakos Sorcerer Lvl 50
Kalten Scout Lvl 50
Belgaren Infiltrator Lvl 50
Platime Reaver Lvl 34
Belardion Necromancer Lvl 50
Beldaran Mincer Lvl 50
Beldurnik Armsman Lvl 50
Belodur Mercenary Lvl 50
Belordion Cabalist Lvl 50

Wakefield
Myrmidon

Postby Wakefield » Mar 31, 2020 10:56

Antiks wrote:What Uthgard doesn't need, is to change to comfort those that think its too slow or too hard and that just want to be able to reach the end game in a couple days. Go play a washed down version of an rpg somewhere else.

So basically screw over those casuals who can manage a few hours a night, maybe 2-3 times a week. Which is what, 80% of all mmorpgs.

Casual's are bread and butter to any rpg they keep the population up. Once they go, you end up with the same small number killing each other with no new imput of players so when the hardcore, never say die, 1.65 vanilla till the end players start to leave 1 by 1(which has happened, look at the <70 people on in a worldwide lockdown where we all have to stay indoors)

It has been brought up before about this, needs to have some balance between all players involved. Except what we as the player base were told by the devs (who buried their head in the sand) was "Oh its summer, people will come back." Oh its World Cup year, people will come back". "Oh its winter, people getting ready for the holidays".

And did the thousands you had at launch come back, back when we had to queue to join the server, come back after it had all calmed down?

Any lame excuse instead of addressing the issue at hand.
Wakefield 50 Rej Cleric
Thaddea 50 Sight Necro
Misswhiplash 48 Reaver
On Holiday!
We Play for Keeps

Wakefeld 26 Druid

Aoiro
Warder

Postby Aoiro » Mar 31, 2020 12:32

Wakefield wrote:
Antiks wrote:What Uthgard doesn't need, is to change to comfort those that think its too slow or too hard and that just want to be able to reach the end game in a couple days. Go play a washed down version of an rpg somewhere else.

So basically screw over those casuals who can manage a few hours a night, maybe 2-3 times a week. Which is what, 80% of all mmorpgs.

Casual's are bread and butter to any rpg they keep the population up. Once they go, you end up with the same small number killing each other with no new imput of players so when the hardcore, never say die, 1.65 vanilla till the end players start to leave 1 by 1(which has happened, look at the <70 people on in a worldwide lockdown where we all have to stay indoors)

It has been brought up before about this, needs to have some balance between all players involved. Except what we as the player base were told by the devs (who buried their head in the sand) was "Oh its summer, people will come back." Oh its World Cup year, people will come back". "Oh its winter, people getting ready for the holidays".

And did the thousands you had at launch come back, back when we had to queue to join the server, come back after it had all calmed down?

Any lame excuse instead of addressing the issue at hand.

I agree with you. It should be more friendly for casuals. Otherwise, the result is clear.
Aoiro Kyosei

Everything is blue.

IamKaia
Myrmidon

Postby IamKaia » Mar 31, 2020 13:21

Spoiler alert: there always were casuals on DAOC back in the day and they did just fine, jee i wonder how that could have been.

Being friendly to casuals is such a vague and broad notion that in encompasses all and nothing.
If you want instant gratification and instant lvl 50, then DAOC is not the game you want to play unless you are willing to go play somewhere that has /instant 50.

Being friendly to casuals also has nothing to do with QoL. Because if you are too casual to group up for 2-3 hours every day and xp, then you really are in the wrong game to begin with. Maybe a RTS or a FPS would make more sense than a mmorpg.

Uthgard really indeed just need bugfixes, shrouded isle and my own personal list of QoL because, being the ultimate pro that i am at this game, i know what is best for the rest of the community. Sit back and enjoy:

1. Healer NPC in DL and DC
2. Porter NPC in TNN
3. Add new recipe for Potions: "barrel size" 100 charges by combining x reagents together to avoid inventory clutter.
4. Add new recipe for salvage: salvage 10 items at a time
5. Add a crafting bonus tied to Realm Rank: +X% crafting speed increments for RR. something sensible like 3-6-9-12
6. Cap keep RPs to players realm rank: after RR3, only gain 50%. After RR4, gain no keep RPs.
7. Implement guard tasks (Kill 5, 12, 24, etc. guards for a 30min tick reward of RPs)
8. Implement RvR tasks (Kill 5, 12, 24, etc. players for a 30min tick reward of RPs)
9. Temporary inclusion of SI gear encounters in Sheeroe/Dartmoor,etc. while SI is being developed (Rofflecopters, as if)
10. Review spell resists chances, cause holy macaroni is it bugged. It's streakier than during the onion famine of diggity 2.
11. Implement Weapon Swapping from Dualwield to 1h+shield
12. Make the loot system in the FZ interesting by changing loot chances, ROG generation properties, and bump mob density up a notch.
13. Bugfixes
14. a tiny weeny flat 10% xp bonus accross all realms would do it for me, it's not much but it's honest work.
15. Switch to New RAs pls :)
16. mo bugfixes
17. Update the startpage so it doesn't look like grandpa's first world wide web's page with outdated and misleading information about the server, its team (or lackthereof)
Last edited by IamKaia on Mar 31, 2020 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

Kabouik
Myrmidon

Postby Kabouik » Mar 31, 2020 13:30

Jerrian wrote:Look at Uthgard and tell me if you like what you see and please be serious.

I was dead serious. I don't claim we should talk about problems, of course we should, we have to. But the very common disrespect and lack of gratitude on the forum is an issue that shouldn't be neglected either.

I wish I could come back play my toons on the server, but speaking of problems, the most upvoted issue in the issue tracker is considered "wontfix", meaning I cannot play from my Linux machine due to the Uthgard launcher, while DAOC runs well with Wine. That is something I regret devs did not deem worth their time (particularly as I know some experienced Linux developers have offered their help to avoid diverting the main staff man power).

Regarding casual-friendliness, I second that there were casuals back in the time too. Of course, the overall population was also much bigger because DAOC was the latest MMORPG at the time, so losing some casuals was a minor issue. But I'm a casual too now, as everyone claim they are. I still prefer the Uthgard ruleset over all others, because DAOC is not just about the RVR end game. There is much to enjoy before that point. In fact, many people reach the end game and soon reroll because of how unforgiving it can be, or because they sometime want some PVE to lay back. I never understood the urge to reach 50 in a few days, as if it was a requirement to play 8 hours per day to enjoy the game when XP is slow. Just accept it and take your time. People on some other secret freeshard are now complaining that the staff is mimicking Broadsword's moves a bit too much.
Last edited by Kabouik on Mar 31, 2020 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
[Mid] Koubiak, Krafilnaavith
[Hib] Soazig

IamKaia
Myrmidon

Postby IamKaia » Mar 31, 2020 13:36

I also wish i could play on my Tefal stainless steel frying pan. But in an unparalleled display of gratitude and understanding, I realize that it would probably be a diversion of resources that they don't have in the first place to make/collaborate to make their launcher compatible with my very out-there operating system.

Kabouik
Myrmidon

Postby Kabouik » Mar 31, 2020 13:40

IamKaia wrote:I also wish i could play on my Tefal stainless steel frying pan. But in an unparalleled display of gratitude and understanding, I realize that it would probably be a diversion of resources that they don't have in the first place to make/collaborate to make their launcher compatible with my very out-there operating system.

(particularly as I know some experienced Linux developers have offered their help to avoid diverting the main staff man power)

And please, there's really no need for this caricature. We're not in 1992, the game itself runs on Linux, all other DAOC launchers run on Linux, and Linux is not solely a coding or server platform anymore. If you believe it still is, then also remember that making it Linux friendly would have meant making it Mac friendly too, and that's not an insignificant user share.

However, I do understand that the benefits in terms of player base would be minimal, but again, multiple people have offered working on it to avoid diverting the staff man power. I'm not saying it's a major issue responsible for the current situation, but someone above believed I wanted not to mention Uthgard issues. I don't, and from my perspective, this is an issue and considering the number of upvotes it got, I regret the staff decision.
Last edited by Kabouik on Mar 31, 2020 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
[Hib] Soazig

IamKaia
Myrmidon

Postby IamKaia » Mar 31, 2020 13:44

Kabouik wrote:
IamKaia wrote:I also wish i could play on my Tefal stainless steel frying pan. But in an unparalleled display of gratitude and understanding, I realize that it would probably be a diversion of resources that they don't have in the first place to make/collaborate to make their launcher compatible with my very out-there operating system.

(particularly as I know some experienced Linux developers have offered their help to avoid diverting the main staff man power)

And please, there's really no need for this caricature. We're not in 1992, the game itself runs on Linux, all other DAOC launchers run on Linux, and Linux is not solely a coding or server platform anymore. If you believe it still is, then also remember that making it Linux friendly would have meant making it Mac friendly too, and that's not an insignificant user share.

However, I do understand that the benefits in terms of player base would be minimal, but again, multiple people have offered working on it to avoid diverting the staff man power.

I am fairly sure even if your friends who are Linux developper wizards put in FTE work on this, Uthgard would still not have the ressources to collaborate, it's all i'm saying. Took 3 months for the only remaining Uthgard team to log in and fix a supposedly automatic reindeer-to-horse trigger that is tied to the server date. And you're overthere requesting platform compatibility.

Just install windows somewhere and come play imo, you'll have a better idea of Uthgard's reality.
But on the substance, i wish you could play on your linux machine!

It's like when i make a list of stuff i'd like to see in. I know full well NONE of it is getting implemented, or even looked at. This is just not the place. The old lady is gone, she just left the lights on and we squat until there's no money for the rent.
Last edited by IamKaia on Mar 31, 2020 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

Kabouik
Myrmidon

Postby Kabouik » Mar 31, 2020 13:45

You're comparing the work force now to that when Uthgard was rebooted into Uthgard 2. Also, I edited my previous message above.
[Hib] Soazig

Antiks
Gryphon Knight

Postby Antiks » Mar 31, 2020 19:58

Not buying it. I fit into the casual demographic, as I have a M-F full time job and whatnot's to take care of, so yeah like 3 hrs or playing is normal. So again, Uth is fine the way it is, and would likely not benefit from regaining players like that who need crutches and handouts, so in this particular case and even if it's just my opinion: population < current state.

And while I like most of the list of suggestions above, I would have to disagree with the new RA's. Any core changes like that and i'd probably be out. At most I could be on board with slight tweaks to the old RA's as best as possible.

Abydos
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Abydos » Mar 31, 2020 21:50

resists/streakier... welp, add another one to the pile gents...another person making this claim 1)without data and 2) ignoring all the people who DID get data who (surprise!) found no such effect.

You're not getting barrels on Uthgard.

change (things) that (aren't the same game) - No.

Crafting speed already gets a huge boost in the frontier zones. Few people take advantage of it (yes, reasons). but making high rr 'even stronger' somehow doesnt seem to help the casuals people are complaining about.

wachawacha
Myrmidon

Postby wachawacha » Mar 31, 2020 22:12

Abydos wrote:resists/streakier... welp, add another one to the pile gents...another person making this claim 1)without data and 2) ignoring all the people who DID get data who (surprise!) found no such effect.

You're not getting barrels on Uthgard.

change (things) that (aren't the same game) - No.

Crafting speed already gets a huge boost in the frontier zones. Few people take advantage of it (yes, reasons). but making high rr 'even stronger' somehow doesnt seem to help the casuals people are complaining about.

Really only thing that needs to be done is a slight increase in XP (Implement +10% across the board for all realms), maybe give a quarter value of RPs to someone who dies in RvR to help balance the game for newbies who are RR1 and are fighting longtime RR5-10 guys, and put out SI.
There's problems with not being able to hit purples with magic across the game, especially on keeps that are lv 4+, but I don't know if that is an Uthgard thing or a daoc thing.

Abydos
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Abydos » Mar 31, 2020 22:24

Its inherant to how resists work in DAOC. Spell level vs mob level. If you're split spec you'll see this much harder than someone full spec. Likewise, over a certain level mobs are impossible to hit. You reduce that resist rate by increasing the number of attackers (hence why theur and animists are so effective in raids)

We have no intention to change core base mechanics of DAOC.

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics