What made you stop playing here?

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Ebbie
Warder
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Oct 27, 2017 03:08

Postby Ebbie » Feb 04, 2020 04:03

Roxxor wrote:I would love it, when Blue give the leadership to another person or close the shard.


Malach wrote:And I still think they should pull the power cord out of the server.


I feel like I should make a new thread asking why one might want to close down a shard when others are still having fun there.

Don't play here if you are dissatisfied or do not like the current setting and ruleset. Asking for changes is cool, many good ideas have been proposed that could make the server more fun, or the next server. Asking to shut it down because you don't like it, is childish and petty.

Roxxor
Gryphon Knight
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Feb 01, 2008 01:00

Postby Roxxor » Feb 04, 2020 08:36

Thx for your post Ebbie.
I feel like I should make a new thread asking why one might want to close down a shard when others are still having fun there.

It is obvious that it is just a matter of time till the depot for serverrent runs out. Blue have no time for the server, 1 gm and 1 worldbuilder are left.
Its questionable new players join again, so the project slowly bleed out. I dont want to see that, i want to see a growing project full of heart and passion.

If you folks have fun to trade keeps and xrealm, have it go. And when you think you play daoc this way... Well, im not here to missionare other players.
Im here to represent my opinion and no matter if i play here or not, i am a long time member of the project and i feel connected to Uthgard, i never give it up for real.
Thats why i still post here, even other wish i wouldnt.
But that is not important for me and in the end it is attention. Thanks
Danke Uthgard für 10 Jahre
Sent: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:01 am
From: Abydos
To: Roxxor

If you arent having fun just stop posting. No need to ****** post on the forum. Go outside and enjoy the sunshine.
------------------
I am posting here because i have no fun and tried to rescue Uthgard.
Finally i did it like half of staff, i gave up...

User avatar
Abydos
Game Master
Game Master
 
Posts: 6673
Joined: Jan 22, 2011 21:14

Postby Abydos » Feb 04, 2020 09:28

Roxxor wrote:and in the end it is attention. Thanks


Truth is spoken.

As far as activity... don't expect we'll overthrow what is built for some modern mmorpg. Will Uth continue? I suppose so(?) - The lights are on for now. If we need donations or face shutdown we'll post (that being said, feel free to donate - Blue is and has paid for this out of pocket for a long time now).

We haven't ever stated we want to be your end portal for everything entertainment but rather a faithful recreation of a particular point of history in the early 2000's. I don't think we've ever been shy about stating that.

If you're somehow seeking answers: What do we see? We see, roughly, 1500 people (~650 EU-ish ~300-ish NA + whatever % of multiloggers) playing DAOC in 2020. Make of that what you will.

albeyond
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Apr 03, 2017 19:29

Postby albeyond » Feb 04, 2020 13:56

Abydos wrote:
Roxxor wrote:and in the end it is attention. Thanks


Truth is spoken.

As far as activity... don't expect we'll overthrow what is built for some modern mmorpg. Will Uth continue? I suppose so(?) - The lights are on for now. If we need donations or face shutdown we'll post (that being said, feel free to donate - Blue is and has paid for this out of pocket for a long time now).

We haven't ever stated we want to be your end portal for everything entertainment but rather a faithful recreation of a particular point of history in the early 2000's. I don't think we've ever been shy about stating that.

If you're somehow seeking answers: What do we see? We see, roughly, 1500 people (~650 EU-ish ~300-ish NA + whatever % of multiloggers) playing DAOC in 2020. Make of that what you will.


So you guys would rather just leave things as is currently than make any attempt to start fresh? I just want to understand fully so I can formally disconnect and stop hanging on hoping for something different

IamKaia
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Jun 27, 2019 19:59

Postby IamKaia » Feb 04, 2020 14:15

albeyond wrote:
Abydos wrote:
Roxxor wrote:and in the end it is attention. Thanks


Truth is spoken.

As far as activity... don't expect we'll overthrow what is built for some modern mmorpg. Will Uth continue? I suppose so(?) - The lights are on for now. If we need donations or face shutdown we'll post (that being said, feel free to donate - Blue is and has paid for this out of pocket for a long time now).

We haven't ever stated we want to be your end portal for everything entertainment but rather a faithful recreation of a particular point of history in the early 2000's. I don't think we've ever been shy about stating that.

If you're somehow seeking answers: What do we see? We see, roughly, 1500 people (~650 EU-ish ~300-ish NA + whatever % of multiloggers) playing DAOC in 2020. Make of that what you will.


So you guys would rather just leave things as is currently than make any attempt to start fresh? I just want to understand fully so I can formally disconnect and stop hanging on hoping for something different



Judging by what was achieved these last years, ie: nada, i would advise it safe to assume you can formally disconnect then...
Usually a good life tip too to judge people by their actions and not their words.

Roxxor
Gryphon Knight
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Feb 01, 2008 01:00

Postby Roxxor » Feb 04, 2020 16:09

Thanks for clarifying Abydos. Good to hear that is no plan to shutdown on table. This is good for Uthgard!

Any releasedate SI coming? :D
Danke Uthgard für 10 Jahre
Sent: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:01 am
From: Abydos
To: Roxxor

If you arent having fun just stop posting. No need to ****** post on the forum. Go outside and enjoy the sunshine.
------------------
I am posting here because i have no fun and tried to rescue Uthgard.
Finally i did it like half of staff, i gave up...

Ebbie
Warder
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Oct 27, 2017 03:08

Postby Ebbie » Feb 04, 2020 23:29

Roxxor wrote:Its questionable new players join again, so the project slowly bleed out. I dont want to see that, i want to see a growing project full of heart and passion.

If you folks have fun to trade keeps and xrealm, have it go. And when you think you play daoc this way... Well, im not here to missionare other players.


I think you are forgetting about the players that want nothing to do with RVR content. This is a great shard for classic PVE content. On a somewhat regular basis you can find new players that are happy to enjoy the nostalgia of classic DAOC.

RPs for keeps is attractive to this player as well, as they do not need to PVP to progress, and RPs become XP post level 50. Let them have their PVE fun.

I second your desire for a SI release date / info too! :D

User avatar
Abydos
Game Master
Game Master
 
Posts: 6673
Joined: Jan 22, 2011 21:14

Postby Abydos » Feb 05, 2020 08:31

1) Don't discuss other servers. This is Uthgard forum.
2) What I mean is the DAOC playing population is stable-ish with a slight decline in a macro sense. It is relatively unchanged since I started looking at our own stats since roughly 2011. There are trends of slight increases when an odd nostalgia trip happens, and big dips when some big new game splashes onto the scene (diablo 3 was not kind).

when other servers pop up they don't attract a meaningful, long-term population. They draw away a population and actually the net result is a reduction in daily average players for DAOC as a whole as some will 1) quit becuase they dont want to go and their friends have left or 2) there won't be viable sustainable actions for it to be fun.

"Competition" in that sense isn't good for DAOC's population. It isn't attracting new players and is unlikely to do so. What's even stranger it that often times its the same player base but different "products". Uthgard isn't intending to compete with a modern mmorpg's fast-travel / custom loot that perfectly fits you no matter what type of system. It is *intentional* that the gear that is dropped is the way that it is. That's the point of what we've built.

albeyond
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Apr 03, 2017 19:29

Postby albeyond » Feb 05, 2020 17:24

Abydos wrote:It is *intentional* ...... That's the point of what we've built.


This is what we all need to remember. What we all think is poor management and neglect is actually all part of the plan. That's why I play other servers

Highdrone
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 69
Joined: May 16, 2018 12:24

Postby Highdrone » Feb 05, 2020 18:36

Why do i feel we have to be happy and thankful that Abydos sometimes dives into our deep cages of Forumania just to state one thing:

"Server will be open until it is closed." (interpreted by myself) Wow - thanks for the info. ^^

How about the biggest question(s):

Will Blue come back? Will there be some work on the server again?? :roll:

wachawacha
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Oct 13, 2019 19:45

Postby wachawacha » Feb 06, 2020 20:22

Highdrone wrote:Why do i feel we have to be happy and thankful that Abydos sometimes dives into our deep cages of Forumania just to state one thing:

"Server will be open until it is closed." (interpreted by myself) Wow - thanks for the info. ^^

How about the biggest question(s):

Will Blue come back? Will there be some work on the server again?? :roll:



Just look at the mods' profiles on the forurms. It says when they last logged in.

A lot have logged in recently. To me, they could be working on something big, or they're just seeing when the population hits a certain low to then shutdown the server.

Honestly, who knows. There's no stream of information which yeah they can do that if they want since it's their server. It's just nice to know if there is something going on.

Zarkor
Unicorn Knight
 
Posts: 3709
Joined: Aug 15, 2006 00:00
Location: Antwerp, Flanders, Belgium

Postby Zarkor » Feb 07, 2020 04:12

Abydos wrote:That's the point of what we've built.


The thing is, you have failed to capture the most essential aspect that made Classic DAoC great. The players.

Without them, any and every attempt to recreate the true Classic experience is bound to be nothing but soulless lines of code. Can you truly be sincere when you say that is what you intended to build?



Most players who returned to Uthgard after its relaunch were hopeful that this would be the beginning of a project that held those lines of code very close to its heart, but at the same time would aim to strike a fine but challenging balance between remaining as true to the Classic code and the Classic social player experience.

Instead, we have had to come to the harsh realization that there was never a genuine intent to work towards this balance, but merely a will to sacrifice the social aspect for the sake of the code, for god knows what reason.

If it were an argument of time and effort, I think it would be somewhat easier to understand. After all, this journey of balancing both code and player experience would take years of careful attention and an iron yet flexible resilience in the face of the community's sometimes ridiculous demands.

What's most disheartening of all though, is that this doesn't even appear to be what's holding been this server back. It's simply a puzzling unwillingness to budge in any given direction.

Assuming that that is in fact the case, any and all attempts of support are in vain.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though...
In defense of truth-to-experience.

Warjon
Gryphon Knight
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Apr 08, 2014 18:17

Postby Warjon » Feb 09, 2020 03:10

Abydos wrote:
Roxxor wrote:and in the end it is attention. Thanks


Truth is spoken.

As far as activity... don't expect we'll overthrow what is built for some modern mmorpg. Will Uth continue? I suppose so(?) - The lights are on for now. If we need donations or face shutdown we'll post (that being said, feel free to donate - Blue is and has paid for this out of pocket for a long time now).

We haven't ever stated we want to be your end portal for everything entertainment but rather a faithful recreation of a particular point of history in the early 2000's. I don't think we've ever been shy about stating that.

If you're somehow seeking answers: What do we see? We see, roughly, 1500 people (~650 EU-ish ~300-ish NA + whatever % of multiloggers) playing DAOC in 2020. Make of that what you will.


Blue and all of you staff have said this since the release of Uth2. Reading the posts after you posted this, again, makes one shake their heads. Zoom!!

User avatar
Gil
Alerion Knight
 
Posts: 2057
Joined: Jan 06, 2010 01:00
Location: Denmark

Postby Gil » Feb 09, 2020 13:26

I still enjoy playing on Uthgard and am online almost every day. Why is that, you might ask. And it's because many friends still play here.

I would enjoy playing here even more, of course, if we had more active players. And I would like very much to see SI implemented.
Gil DaTroll - Merlin Zerker | MacDeath - Uth1 Armsman | Gil - Uth2 Zerker | Macdeath - Uth2 Armsman
Image

User avatar
Jerrian
Phoenix Knight
 
Posts: 1415
Joined: Jan 21, 2010 01:00

Postby Jerrian » Feb 09, 2020 13:47

The main problem is still the small staff activity/staff size just look how less movement and seeable work is done recently. No news for years, issue tracker shows minor updates, the forum and website looks outdated and could have a fresh look etc.

Maybe ask ppl who know how to setup a daoc server and are interested to revive Uthgard to contact Blue and talk to him about getting the project restarted, this is the only way. As said before there are many conclusions and ideas from the council -staff work in the past, that are ready to setup but if nobody setting them up, nothing happens. That ´s sad.

Thx Aby for giving some information to the players.

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Satiah and 10 guests

Wednesday, 08. April 2020

Artwork and screen shots Copyright © 2001-2004 Mythic Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. Used with permission of Mythic Entertainment. Mythic Entertainment, the Mythic Entertainment logo, "Dark Age of Camelot," "Shrouded Isles," "Foundations," "New Frontiers," "Trials of Atlantis," "Catacombs," "Darkness Rising," the Dark Age of Camelot and subsequent logos, and the stylized Celtic knot are trademarks of Mythic Entertainment, Inc.

Valid XHTML & CSS | Original Design by: LernVid.com | Modified by Uthgard Staff