What made you stop playing here?

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Wakanidoo
Myrmidon

Postby Wakanidoo » Apr 06, 2021 13:30

Gilded wrote:...

Play and try to enjoy the game for what it is today or simply bugger off.

8)

Play? How? Cant log for more than 15 days now:
https://www.uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=48179
We are here to help *you*
Alcyon: UK; Abydos: US; Baldrug: DE; Blue: DE; Cirdan: US; Crucible: US; Decidon: US;
Genjiro: DE; Gnome: US; Juna: DE; Nayru: DE; Trishin: UK; Rajnish: US

The Uthgard Staff are always here!

Wakefield
Myrmidon

Postby Wakefield » Apr 06, 2021 14:29

Did try to play other day.

12 Albs on, noone responding to lfg.

Buggered off.
Wakefield 50 Rej Cleric
Thaddea 50 Sight Necro
Misswhiplash 48 Reaver
On Holiday!
We Play for Keeps

Wakefeld 26 Druid

Teri
Warder

Postby Teri » Apr 06, 2021 18:03

Wakefield wrote:Did try to play other day.

Buggered off.

Maybe not the best choice to log on easter holidays.
A lot of people spend their time with their families.

albeyond
Gryphon Knight

Postby albeyond » Apr 07, 2021 00:37

Teri wrote:

Buggered off.

There are only 25 total players on during NA time. This isn’t much different than the time I usually play. I’ve never seen more players than this, which is why when I’m online I just solo farm. There isn’t any rvr for American players

Gilded
Myrmidon

Postby Gilded » Apr 07, 2021 02:18

By American... you mean North American right?

:twisted:

fremster
Eagle Knight

Postby fremster » Apr 07, 2021 08:24

albeyond wrote:
Teri wrote:

Buggered off.

There are only 25 total players on during NA time. This isn’t much different than the time I usually play. I’ve never seen more players than this, which is why when I’m online I just solo farm. There isn’t any rvr for American players

Wicked and co literally paint the map blue every night (eu time) or evening (us time).

If they dodge because there's a defender, then that's another issue.

albeyond
Gryphon Knight

Postby albeyond » Apr 07, 2021 16:47

Wicked and co literally paint the map blue every night (eu time) or evening (us time).

If they dodge because there's a defender, then that's another issue.

Yeah but the issue is the amount of time it takes to find anything to fight. So if I have 5 people to try to group with, i have to get them all in group. Usually people dont asnwer. Then once were grouped we have to port, buff, and run through an enormous fronteir to find them. With a total of this few players its next to impossible to get a fight. If by the grace of god we manage to fight, they dont come back or the group you built quits. THis is the reason why MMOs need hundreds of players to have an immersive experience.

Wakefield
Myrmidon

Postby Wakefield » Apr 07, 2021 17:35

Teri wrote:

Buggered off.

That sounds awfully like when population dropped, it was "because its summertime, winter they will be back"

And winter comes around , it's because "its christmas"
Where I'm from in the uk, we are still in lockdown, both through winter and bank holidays so nowhere to go. And server has not jumped.

I'm willing to give this server my time, but not when it's pointless like it is.
Wakefield 50 Rej Cleric
Thaddea 50 Sight Necro
Misswhiplash 48 Reaver
On Holiday!
We Play for Keeps

Wakefeld 26 Druid

Metallo
Myrmidon

Postby Metallo » Apr 12, 2021 15:27

new reroll, see you at next freeshard :D

Highdrone
Myrmidon

Postby Highdrone » Apr 13, 2021 09:43

Hey Abydos and Genjiro (is he there now?!). What about Blue?

Is there a realistic chance that Blue will come back again?

Highdrone
Myrmidon

Postby Highdrone » Apr 15, 2021 12:28

Do i get an answer if i ask again? :grin:

Madae
Gryphon Knight

Postby Madae » Apr 29, 2021 09:42

Been awhile, but... I stopped because of the population imbalance and the neglect of the devs to balance certain things for the sake of keeping a very specific patch level for... whatever reasons they thought it was necessary. For the most part, I get it. I understand the nostalgia behind it probably, maybe even the necessity of trying to stay true to the vision, but it was a terrible longterm decision that led to the obvious result we have now; no one wants to play a pvp game that just isn't fun for the people that didn't make the "correct" faction/class choice. The unfortunate thing is that there is no good middle-ground freeshard available, at least for my taste. I suppose most people will have their own idea of what should and shouldn't change, and maybe that is just too large of a gap to satisfy everyone. A relatively vanilla experience with the more egregious problems addressed would be great, but tbh, there are so many things possibly, I doubt I could even name them all. It would be a process to figure out everything that just isn't right, imo.

wachawacha
Myrmidon

Postby wachawacha » May 02, 2021 00:53

Madae wrote:Been awhile, but... I stopped because of the population imbalance and the neglect of the devs to balance certain things for the sake of keeping a very specific patch level for... whatever reasons they thought it was necessary. For the most part, I get it. I understand the nostalgia behind it probably, maybe even the necessity of trying to stay true to the vision, but it was a terrible longterm decision that led to the obvious result we have now; no one wants to play a pvp game that just isn't fun for the people that didn't make the "correct" faction/class choice. The unfortunate thing is that there is no good middle-ground freeshard available, at least for my taste. I suppose most people will have their own idea of what should and shouldn't change, and maybe that is just too large of a gap to satisfy everyone. A relatively vanilla experience with the more egregious problems addressed would be great, but tbh, there are so many things possibly, I doubt I could even name them all. It would be a process to figure out everything that just isn't right, imo.

I only hate animists and lack of porters, otherwise I rather like the slower old school daoc over newer games. The XP rate isn't bad once you level with a guild, and I didn't have a problem when I first got on. It's a slow game, and changing it to a 'fast' game isn't the style of it. But I get some people need faster levels and the like, so I would love to see a /rel city and a /level20 or something for people who want to get right into it. We don't need to run through the first 5 levels over and over anymore.

Madae
Gryphon Knight

Postby Madae » May 02, 2021 02:17

wachawacha wrote:I only hate animists and lack of porters, otherwise I rather like the slower old school daoc over newer games. The XP rate isn't bad once you level with a guild, and I didn't have a problem when I first got on. It's a slow game, and changing it to a 'fast' game isn't the style of it. But I get some people need faster levels and the like, so I would love to see a /rel city and a /level20 or something for people who want to get right into it. We don't need to run through the first 5 levels over and over anymore.

I rather liked the slow play, and I find the group content/leveling aspect of MMO's to be enjoyable, my complaints are for different things, but I can only speak for Albion mostly.

Midgard being arguably OP for a variety of reasons certainly contributed to the population imbalance, but the neglect of certain classes and any attempt at making them more viable hurt more overall - such as the lack of balance between the endurance regen classes, auto-train being ridiculous, near-sight crippling ranged play, an over-abundance of necromancers causing a huge class deficit for the sake of easy leveling (it was a mistake to include the expansion classes at launch, or at all for that matter)... I'm sure I could come up with more if I thought about it, but that's just off the top of my head.

The failure of this server had nothing to do with the old school gameplay, imo, it was mostly just the devs not understanding how people are willing to treat/abuse the meta, and the lack of any attempt to balance or fix certain aspects of the game that needed fixing. It was all about keeping that historic patch level, despite the problems it caused. Granted, this is where everyone's own opinion of what should and shouldn't be fixed comes in, but there were just some things that did no justice to this game. DAoC was far from perfect, Uthgard could have taken what was great, adjusted what was broken and had a great old time with it without destroying the spirit of the game, but this is what we got...

And now all we really have is Phoenix. I don't know what all it does, but I know it incorporates a lot of "quality of life" features for ease of accessibility, and that just isn't for me.

Antiks
Gryphon Knight

Postby Antiks » May 02, 2021 20:09

Madae wrote: for the sake of keeping a very specific patch level for... whatever reasons they thought it was necessary.

Yes, this is what the term, Classic, would imply. :gaga:
Madae wrote:...but it was a terrible longterm decision that led to the obvious result we have now;...

This is just your opinion and interpretation from your personal perspective. There were many reasons that were intertwined and separate from each other that all contributed to the end result, but far from it was any of it, 'obvious', with one exception: the players.
Madae wrote:no one wants to play a pvp game that just isn't fun for the people that didn't make the "correct" faction/class choice.

Case and point to the player argument. What we have come to understand from the player base with these kinds of complaints is that the think that even if they play a hybrid or true healing class that they should be able to get kills or do dmg. This is why on the other server bards can now root and will one day likely get baseline stun and why stop there bc they probably will get a second instant dd too oO oO or even that all the caster spec lines now get a base dd nuke (e.g. Suppression line gets a base dd nuke). All of these are a cancer to the core of the game. In conclusion, If a player wants to get more kills they need to play a dps class, not play a support class and then complain that they choose the wrong class or spec line and the game needs 'balancing' :gaga: ...
Madae wrote:

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics