What made you stop playing here?

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Ebbie
Myrmidon

Postby Ebbie » Jan 06, 2020 18:05

Serious question, as I am merely curious, please do not troll with insults / demands to players or staff.

If you no longer play here, or have taken breaks, what are the reasons for whey you stopped playing and or came back?

I took a few breaks from this server, but have since come back to play in the last few months and am having fun.

My first break was 3 months after launch, changes were made to the server that made my previous time investment feel diminished, and friends that I played with then stopped playing because of those changes.

My second break was due to a new set of friends, I met in game, leaving for other games which i did not care to play.

I am on my 3rd time around with this server and even with low population and initially none of my friends playing, i felt more connected to the existing community.

Ultimately I play this game to interact with friends IRL that no longer live close by, and new friends i have made online that are great to play with, doesn't matter to me if we PVE or RVR (keeps or player fights). I have recently played on all 3 realms here at Uthgard, I have to say that the remaining community on all of the realms are very helpful and 99% composed of very nice people.

Thanks Uthgard staff for keeping this project alive. Thanks to the players that continue to play here, its still a lot of fun.

Quik
Myrmidon

Postby Quik » Jan 06, 2020 19:01

Originally it was the horrible xp rate and rigid desire to stay pure classic, but I would come back in a heartbeat if they would just add a shared vault in each capital.

I refuse to use housing and hate it with a passion in this game. Very clunky and just a pain and not something I am interested in.

A shared vault would have absolutely ZERO negative impact and would help everyone including crafters and would help speed up game play, but Abydos has made it clear that I am a moron for not wanting to play how he wants me too so I don't see myself coming back as they will never implement it, according to him.

Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Jan 06, 2020 21:41

When I found out about Uthgard, I was immediately remembering how much fun I had "back in the day." I played an arms of the 100% polearm and parry variety, and mostly soloed or grouped with two good friends...always felt like I could kill anything I could get to.

Somewhere along the leveling process I found out two things:
1)Pole stun wasn't off Defenders Rage (the target styled opener)
2) Alb didn't have a Str/Con buff item

But I carried on, respec'd to cookie cutter "slam/pole" at 40...and actually had a blast playing through Caledonia.

The day I hit 50, and got my template done, I drank some single charge pots, headed to Emain and "hid" in a shrub by mtk...a zerk in a purple cloak heads out...I run up thinking, "Yipee!" As he's slammed and I'm going to town 7 mids in matching cloaks come from MMG, slaughter me and /stench me :lol:

I kept at it, occasionally grouping, but mostly solo still...and after a few months I just got tired of only fighting skalds, or assassins w/ purge up. The blue buff pots wore on me...skalds hitting me w/ provoke harder than I hit them w/ Defenders Rage...no other solo people than one in a blue moon a menty w/ heal pet and MoC. Also, if I ever kill somebody...they would never come back for 30 mins...

I eventually stopped...and went down to playing maybe one night a week...usually just puttering on a lowbie.

Summer 2018 had lots of updates, and ended with the rotating bonus for solo/duo/small...had a bit of fun then on the old armsman (with 9 charge blue pots!) but by fall, the solo zones were dead, and occasionally a mid trio would roll through...and despite PMing every non anon 50 alb, I could never make a trio (usually no response, or "are they high RR?")

So I basically quit again...

Then it was confirmed RvR missions were coming (Jan 2019), so I started puttering on a chanter out of boredom...

When the new BG came out, I was there everyday on my RR3 chanter...but when a mid trio shows up...no hibbies would group with me...almost a dozen level 50 hibs, and the same old "are they high RR?"

So I went back to Alb, decided to make inf my main toon...and farm as long as it took to get a D/Q item...which is just about when Dura'ek was added to Alb.

Roaming has been dead since then...I've probably spent enough plat now on charges to have bought a drake bracer in the old days :p with inc being very rare. So I basically quit roaming and when I "play" I just am mostly afk checking in every 20-30 min incase there's action (mids/albs form a keep take group)...

Maybe once a week I'll get ambitious and roam the frontiers for an hour...or try to make a thread about building solo/small action...but I'm pretty resigned to just wait for RvR missions. But, if I'm able to play, and there's something to do...I'll go beat on keep doors with my bored realm mates :-) It was more fun defending groups of 6-8+ with 2-3 Albs...but that's dried up too in the last month or two.

I finally did get to fight a (RR7) skald, when I had red buffs though! But he got beaten so badly, I think he quit :?
Bonz - Arran - Masticore - Rhakan

Alb Morgan le Fay: Bonzki
Hib Merlin: Grahmdal

Moondragon1
Gryphon Knight

Postby Moondragon1 » Jan 07, 2020 06:32

That's a fun question that made me feel like logging into the forum and answering.

So, early in the Uthgard 2.0 era, I reported several obvious cheaters, bots, etc. I had no idea if anything ever came of it, because there wasn't a ban forum like there was in Uthgard 1.0. Had no idea if people were being punished or not, so I finally gave up, frustrated that there didn't appear to be anything being done to stop it.

Now there is a ban forum. Oh well.

kinthos
Gryphon Knight

Postby kinthos » Jan 07, 2020 11:43

+ Keep Dmg bonuses - this is unbalancing. When there were people to fight, this wrecked the balance of the game. It had a lower effect on group vs group and zerg vs zerg but duos/solos definitely felt the effect hard.

+ Keep RPs - they are too attractive and created an "arrangement" between some players across realm that in my opinion is not in the spirit of the game. This destroyed interest for a lot of players in Hibernia who wanted more battles/small man/group vs group action.

+ Dodgers - Responding to keep takers become less possible due to lack of instant flames and pro keep takers (double/triple ram squads who just want the keep rps and no INC). This had a big negative effect on population in Hib too.

+ Lack of anything to do. As numbers dropped - perhaps again more so in Hib. The remaining players there had less to do. This only worsened over time. Less able to fight overwhelming odds, less people to organise to do stuff, just less inclined to do anything with keeps (e.g. keep takes where if we respond, they run away or they have ridiculous numbers) - infact even with some players, it became hard to motivate anyone to respond to action at all ...

+ Population split - it's always been crap for Hib but at least we had enough to get stuff done in 1st year of Uth v2. For around 1.5 yrs now it's been basically miserable on Hib with occasional flourishes. Here's a picture of the crap numbers...
- Inqy/Spymistress/Sly -
GM of "eXPedient demise" | Slave of "Crows of Winter"

kinthos
Gryphon Knight

Postby kinthos » Jan 07, 2020 11:43

Double posted but to summarise my reasons - rather than generic feelings and morale of Hib...

I left because I was bored.

I'd log in every evening and...
+ We had a little group that would treb the alb relic doors and see if anyone would come play with us. If we didn't do this - NOTHING happened.
+ Spend a few hours chatting and running around empty frontiers.
+ I had a bunch of people I would play with every evening and we'd try to come up with an imaginitive way to create action. Sometimes we'd take a keep and try to defend it until it was taken when no hibs were online or just with a ridiculous amount of albs and very few hibs that would turn up to defend.

Mostly we'd just shrug at it all. Over time people would take breaks and come back, but eventually we all just stopped bothering as nothing changes. :(
Last edited by kinthos on Jan 07, 2020 11:53, edited 2 times in total.
- Inqy/Spymistress/Sly -
GM of "eXPedient demise" | Slave of "Crows of Winter"

virulent-
Gryphon Knight

Postby virulent- » Jan 08, 2020 01:12

i never stopped playing. however, i've made ppl stop playing due to ragequit...so in a way this thread applies to me. :lol: 8)
Drastic / Blademistaire / Kardashian
<Ravensworn> of Hibernia, Palomides 2001 - 2002 *** <Triggered> of Albion, Uthgard2 2017 - 2021

Galandriel4
Myrmidon

Postby Galandriel4 » Jan 08, 2020 20:04

you are good internet fighter!

Samirane
Eagle Knight

Postby Samirane » Jan 08, 2020 21:32

atm i am just logging to check if there is a friend to play with.. sadly the chance is close to zero atm, so i logout real quick too :/
its not that i dont want to play, but i am not in mood for wasting my time online, when i am alone. So i read or watch some Movies :P

i would come back when i have a reason ;)
Langsam und stetig ernährt sich das Murmeltier

WishYouWereHere

Warjon
Gryphon Knight

Postby Warjon » Jan 09, 2020 00:00

The killer for me was no shared vault and the xp rate needed a huge bump.
This was the first xmas season I did not play since the release of the game. :(

Roxxor
Gryphon Knight

Postby Roxxor » Jan 09, 2020 08:30

What made me stop playing:
The better alternative
The unwill to enhance necessary things
The passivity of staff

In details:
No Healer at DL
No Teleportsystem
No Accountvault
Boring 1.65 without the need of changes (pala endurange for example)
No harp for bard
No selfmadefeatures
No comfort

Uth2 has no own spirit n flavour
I dont think the staff thinking much about Uth2
Danke Uthgard für 10 Jahre
Sent: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:01 am
To: Roxxor

If you arent having fun just stop posting. No need to ****** post on the forum. Go outside and enjoy the sunshine.
------------------
I am posting here because i have no fun and tried to rescue Uthgard.
Finally i did it like half of staff, i gave up...

albeyond
Gryphon Knight

Postby albeyond » Jan 10, 2020 03:10

@GMs if you are reading this thread, I will say that some QoL things on the other server that players unanimously love are the account vault, the /train feature (opening up training window from anywhere, when you aren't moving), and craftqueue

Raku
Myrmidon

Postby Raku » Jan 10, 2020 15:24

It's not appealing to me when bards / mincers ain't use all instruments, I always found that a challenging part of the game and enjoyed it. For me it's weird when a minstrel is thrumming on a harp ^^

m0e
Myrmidon

Postby m0e » Jan 10, 2020 15:40

Maybe it wouldn't hurt if some of these suggestions are implemented, but they won't have a huge impact on player numbers at all. At the current state of the server, the PvE situation is also one of the big reasons why we are stuck to those low player numbers.

Lets say i am new to Uthgard, maybe i even played back then for quite some levels, but never reached level 50 on any of my chars. I feel like now is the time to give it a try, so i login and notice... to be able to join keep raids, or maybe dragon raids (alb) and stuff, all i can do is level up to 45+ on my own. There are no players to group with and this is a big problem while playing an MMORPG, so i get bored pretty quick and stop playing again.

I think there also need to be big changes to get enough players back into PvE zones to actually group up and exp together, so players won't get an experience like they were playing a damn boring single player title. Something like SI would help for sure, but thats a huge project and the staff seems to be very busy those days, so we all know this won't happen anytime soon.

Maybe there is a less time consuming solution for the devs, than implementing a whole new zone including quests/dungeons by completing Shrouded Isles, that would still have the effect to encourage players to login now and then just to play abit.

RvR wise:
The announced RvR tasks would be a great thing to get solos and smallman out to get some extra rps(maybe even exp?), there for sure will be others trying to fight those tasking guys. So the RvR tasks you announce months ago would help alot to generate action around the usual keep raiding. And this for sure is an important part, since ppl need something to do while there is no keep raid going.

PvE wise:
I want to suggest the implementation of "free levels", something Mythic also implemented back then. As far as i remember, this is how they done it (levels and day cylces can ofc be tweaked, this is just an example):

- In a 5(?)day cycle, you achive a full level of exp if you visit your trainer.
- Underpopulated Realms (Hibernia in the current state) will get a 3(?)day free level cycle.
- You need to do 2 levels on your own between each given free level, in order to achive another free level. (Example: a level 39 player is getting a full level at his trainer and hits level 40. He will need to do level 42 to get access to another free level)
- Free levels work up to level 46(?).

I think by implementing these free levels, they would encourage alot of players to play new chars. Even if it is just for 2 level here and there, you would see more players in all kind of level ranges showing up, making it easier building groups and PvE zones won't feel that empty. Also some who stopped playing here will probably log in now and then, just to take advantage of the free level mechanics and to see if they maybe could get a char up to 46+ that way without losing interest, since there will be alot more players arround in all level ranges to group with.

Give those players who got bored and stopped on their way to 50 a reason to try again, thats something i would like to see.

Roxxor
Gryphon Knight

Postby Roxxor » Jan 10, 2020 15:43

I get your point Raku.
Ofc its weird to see a bard whistle on a harp.
And i have a easy way to fix it.
Remove the drumming and whistle animation and make all musicsongs to play with guitar.
How would be this?

Lets be serious here, bard are a very important class and everybody who know how it is to play a bard can tell you, the switching is not entertaining nor it is necessary.
Danke Uthgard für 10 Jahre
Sent: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:01 am
To: Roxxor

If you arent having fun just stop posting. No need to ****** post on the forum. Go outside and enjoy the sunshine.
------------------
I am posting here because i have no fun and tried to rescue Uthgard.
Finally i did it like half of staff, i gave up...

Next

Return to General Topics