What made you stop playing here?

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Wakefield
Myrmidon

Postby Wakefield » Mar 05, 2020 23:18

The problem with that idea is that Mid will dominate for months like last time, with Hibs closely following because shrooms are effective for defending. It took a while for Paladins to get some loving, but by that point, the damage was already done I feel.

Mids will rampage across Albion, taking DF for months so the whole realm will have templates by the time Alb starts to get its act together as Alb generally needs a necro/cabby to make money and/or exchange powerlevels.

Maybe, just maybe, the idea might work if the fixes and loving that were eventually implemented were available at launch, but I doubt it, so you run the risk of ****** off what players you have left.
Wakefield 50 Rej Cleric
Thaddea 50 Sight Necro
Misswhiplash 48 Reaver
On Holiday!
We Play for Keeps

Wakefeld 26 Druid

Bistravoda
Myrmidon

Postby Bistravoda » Mar 06, 2020 19:31

just copy uth1 uh ohhhhh :hammer:
Sent from AMG using Crtical Shot

Bistravoda = Clean Water

madskaizer
Eagle Knight

Postby madskaizer » Mar 06, 2020 21:28

Torgo wrote:I just play where the population is. I have no problem with Uth in terms of rule set (well, nothing I can't deal with). If by chance people RvRed here more than the other servers, I would be here.

How to change that for Uth? I don't know the answer....

Only thing I can think of would be a wipe and relaunch with a couple tweaks to spark people to give it a shot. Maybe a super XP bonus for the 1st week or something. If not SI. maybe a custom zone like it?
Maybe an email blast to all the accounts advertising it to get the word out?
People would definitely give it a try a least....
I know that is not popular with the few still left, but most will say the best times on a DaoC server is early in the life cycle when everyone starts new. We have plenty of evidence to back that up.

Maybe restart with a diablo battlenet hardcore ladder ruleset in mind.... Let server reset realm ranks every 12 months
Uthgard 2.0 auto-bestiary Zones, maps, monsters, locations, items, drop rates and statistics.
DAoC game mechanics information templates, realm ranks, spell dmg type, melee speed, blocking, exp/group calculation
Alb <M Y T H>: Citybilens, 50 Minstrel, Muchthinarms, 49 Paladin & Boltsarebroken, 48 Wizard
Hib: April, 50 Eldritch
Mid <Myth>: Direktoeren, 50 Shaman, Flammespyd, 50 Runemaster & Skambankeren, 50 Berzerker

also Tesla coil and high voltage is my hobby

saleas
Guardian

Postby saleas » Mar 08, 2020 19:33

I m still playing here but if i stop the reason will not be SI or fast horses or slow horses or any other reason exept that i dont like the way RVR is atm. i mean we dont see any 8V8 or any other kind of rvr exept keep taking and fights around keeps. atleast this is what i see as midgard player.
Zoumpas RM
Fovos SB
Nitsa Healer

svperstar
Eagle Knight

Postby svperstar » Mar 09, 2020 17:20

Wakefield wrote:The problem with that idea is that Mid will dominate for months like last time

Welcome to DAOC.

Every server I have ever played on has been a Midgard zerg fest till they get bored.

I started on Albion Merlin. Midgard had all 6 relics for months at a time and when DF became a thing they always had it. I switched to stealth only as I was tired of being zerged down 3-5 on 1.

Then on Uthgard 1.0 I came late into the life of the server but Mid was dominating till they got bored and rolled Hib and Alb.

So then when they announced the server wipe I was in TeamSpeak with several "elite" Albion guilds and they were already talking about rolling Mid so they get the "broken 4 times Savage hits"

I never came back for Uth 2.0 but apparently Midgard ruled.....big suprise.

So then I rolled on the other server and it attracted a ton of people from Uth 2.0 and live and Midgard was the early dominating realm.....seeing a pattern? lol
There will be a group of people out there who will want this realm to be entirely Mythic-like. Exactly like vanilla, drop rates/xp rates, basically everything and you will not be able to please them unless it is exactly like vanilla.

These people have their nostalgia goggles on so tight it's cutting off the bloodflow to their brain and they believe that vanilla was perfect and nothing was wrong with it.

mcampbell
Warder

Postby mcampbell » Mar 13, 2020 14:30

The insane XP curve post 40, and the "These people have their nostalgia goggles on so tight it's cutting off the bloodflow to their brain..." mentality.

wachawacha
Myrmidon

Postby wachawacha » Mar 14, 2020 00:05

mcampbell wrote:The insane XP curve post 40, and the "These people have their nostalgia goggles on so tight it's cutting off the bloodflow to their brain..." mentality.

That xp curve htis at a few levels. I wouldn't mind 40-50 being 3/4 or 2/3rd of the time it is now.

Pendalith
Myrmidon

Postby Pendalith » Mar 23, 2020 20:47

Low population because of staff decisions. :gaga:
"Whether your aim is to dominate enemies in the frontier, become a legendary crafter, or defeat dragons throughout the land, Uthgard has a place for you! So join us, rekindle the memories of old and let the adventures begin!"

https://www.uthgard.net/donate

Anomie
Myrmidon

Postby Anomie » Apr 02, 2020 07:33

Here's a 'reason' not mentioned yet in the 13 pages of this thread:

I stopped when i thought i couldn't get in. IKR... makes me sound like a pansy. Anyhow, the homepage showed a blank where the player count should be, and didn't say 'Online'. The herald was not updated. And then other stuff started going weird with my internet usage, and essentially a bunch of unrelated things led me to mistakenly believe the game was offline. On the forums i later found that i was wrong, it was up that whole time, but then one night shortly afterward i couldn't log in. I still don't know why that happened. [EDIT: Once again i'm getting authentication server errors on attempting to play on Uthgard. I've rebooted, cleared browser cache and everything else that can be cleared, run CCleaner just in case it finds artifacts of something that might be preventing my client from connecting, and now i'm editing logs to send to Mads :) I guess i'm still enjoying Uthgard. Next step will be to delete the client and download another one for Uthgard. Of course i'll play one Live a bit in between.]

So i poked around the web that night and decided not to try the other freeshard (if i could even get on it... as i say weirdness happened for a couple of weeks like https sites and a live charplanner http://www.excidio.net refusing to load, though the Uthgard char planners were loading fine).

Instead i thought, hey, i saw an email from whatever company that is that sends out the official DAoC blasts. Free-2-play has arrived in a limited way? I'll give that a try, and i don't even have to download another client: i had done that and it sat idle on my drive awaiting just such good news.

And so i have. It's fun, i love the shield warden and other newfangled things, but there is plenty to not love about it for me too, in comparison to Uthgard. Now i'm torn. The time sink on Uthgard is actually more fun for me, it's a more relaxing game (i play PvE on purpose, most of the time) and i appreciate now for the first time how much more stable the gameplay is. The pet pathing on Uthgard works. The terrain mostly works. You can click on a window and interact with it properly even if there's another window behind it. None of these has been remotely the case on Live, in my week of playing there. And the bots, eee gawds. There is nearly zero likelihood that i'll participate in RvR there outside the Battlegrounds. My mauler, valkyries, heretic, and other lvl 50 toons were never hot stuff before because i couldn't be bothered to pick one to template or become less hopeless at handling in a firefight, so now? Fat chance.

Did i sin, by mentioning another server? or is it only competing freeshards that are off-limits? I hope by giving my honest, mixed bag opinion of the live server, that i've offended no one. And technically, though i paused playing Uthgard when i thought it was down, i continued on Live for a few days after seeing i was wrong. So to answer the question posed in the thread i (and others) may actually have to mention going to play somewhere else.

Uthgard remains my favourite DAoC world to date even without shield-spec wardens and even without SI (though i had a rush of pleasure running around Hybrasil a bit this week). I may end up playing more on live, or maybe not. I have had fun this week, but i wonder how much is pure novelty of returning to something i left 5 years ago, combined with a bit of ... ahem ... epidemic-induced joblessness.

Hello Uthgard, i'm sort of back. ...such as i am. Indeed, the game has changed with the nearly gone population, but this allows me more chances to really explore the Frontiers. People complaining there aren't soloers haven't found me - or they've been mostly too chivalrous to gank me. My personal code of honour, btw, involves not killing anyone below low blue (if i know they're 40 or lower i won't attack them with a 50) one-one, and not making the first move against a solo player when running in a group of 3 or more, unless it's a Necro. I can't always convince my groupmates to abide by this (meat is rare these days, after all) and sometimes i don't even try to communicate it. But that's what i'd like to see, more chivalry toward rival realm players, even if Midgard is a land entirely inhabited by criminals, and Albion is full of Minstrels with 6 fingers on their left hands.
[img]https://uthsig.000webhostapp.com/uthsig.php?myceliumrunning+animists+bawd+rearranger+cowarden+vitamix[/img]

Zenoth
Warder

Postby Zenoth » Apr 17, 2020 23:25

Used to play religiously on 1.0, stopped after it got old and some internal drama and QoL stuffs. Heard Uth 2.0 isn't much better QoL wise but might check it out. It's been 11 years or so, so might be time to try again at some point. Just scrolling the forums is bringing some sense of nostalgia.

Ksenia7771
Guardian

Postby Ksenia7771 » May 17, 2020 11:37

maybe I found some new game :cry:
[url=https://cs-light.ru/]CS 1.6[/url] lover

madskaizer
Eagle Knight

Postby madskaizer » May 20, 2020 10:26

Zenoth wrote:Used to play religiously on 1.0, stopped after it got old and some internal drama and QoL stuffs. Heard Uth 2.0 isn't much better QoL wise but might check it out. It's been 11 years or so, so might be time to try again at some point. Just scrolling the forums is bringing some sense of nostalgia.

Log on! :D
Uthgard 2.0 auto-bestiary Zones, maps, monsters, locations, items, drop rates and statistics.
DAoC game mechanics information templates, realm ranks, spell dmg type, melee speed, blocking, exp/group calculation
Alb <M Y T H>: Citybilens, 50 Minstrel, Muchthinarms, 49 Paladin & Boltsarebroken, 48 Wizard
Hib: April, 50 Eldritch
Mid <Myth>: Direktoeren, 50 Shaman, Flammespyd, 50 Runemaster & Skambankeren, 50 Berzerker

also Tesla coil and high voltage is my hobby

Metallo
Myrmidon

Postby Metallo » May 23, 2020 00:18

Well the reasons are so many. They decided to put the classic server, not balancing the classes and realms (they are still trying to fix these classic patches), however they introduce custom parts (which shouldn't in a classic server, but it's okay, it's not me the owner of the server, the scripter and I don't want to be).

I remember the good old days, those of uth 2.0, with Tajendi that I knew it really good... I was practically the organizer for those who needed the pass and item taj1 and taj2 in Midgard with Goupil. I have lost years playing this game and still would like to play it, maybe a day, but not today, not with this patch ... honestly if there are no players in game, I don't understand how it still manages to remain standing sincerely.

However a pleasure to see everyone, friends and enemies. I really hope one day to play together again, until then.

Good life

Forever Uth 2.0

Roxxor
Gryphon Knight

Postby Roxxor » May 23, 2020 01:25

Its everytime funny to read someone which lost time while playing daoc.
Time we invest to go for a hobby is never lost!
Lets be serious, what else you would to if you could turn back time?
Danke Uthgard für 10 Jahre
Sent: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:01 am
To: Roxxor

If you arent having fun just stop posting. No need to ****** post on the forum. Go outside and enjoy the sunshine.
------------------
I am posting here because i have no fun and tried to rescue Uthgard.
Finally i did it like half of staff, i gave up...

Socra
Guardian

Postby Socra » May 23, 2020 22:38

The decrease in population though that aside the (now verified) false promise of SI ever being launched would be next on the list (I just loved SI content). Now that's my personal opinion and you may disagree but I think people in charge here were way too focused on achieving the exact replica of what the classic version was - which makes little sense as I am sure most (if not all) players would never care in fact whether it's 90% similar or 99.9%. That led to overprocessing useless stuff with back and forth testing and slow implementations when really good approximations would do the trick just fine for 'most' - it's the experience that counts and that only should, agree?

I still do check the forum from time to time expecting a delusional communication about the state of this server, which at this point any news would be finely welcomed by quite a number of us I'm sure, but if there's anything else I did not appreciate about the server it has to be staff communication (say last 3 years). The tone, the I-know-better attitude, the little engagement with the community, at least for me, was repelling.

In the end, my personal reason is the law of numbers, but the underlying reason beneath that is staff and its management overall. That being said, I had a lot of fun here and thought the concept great for old times fan like me - I'm just concerned it ended that way.

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics