What made you stop playing here?

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
virulent-
Gryphon Knight

Postby virulent- » Feb 10, 2020 09:11

sunday, we had 5-6 hibs roaming all day and no albs/mids to be found with 70 people on server. pretty sad that fgm+/fga+ are afraid of a smallman.
Drastic / Blademistaire / Kardashian
<Ravensworn> of Hibernia, Palomides 2001 - 2002 *** <Triggered> of Albion, Uthgard2 2017 - 2021

Teri
Warder

Postby Teri » Feb 10, 2020 19:32

Nearly whole Albion was at Dragon Raid - 32 People :wink:
The first time sinc a few wekk we have been enough - so no RvR, but Dragon

Antiks
Gryphon Knight

Postby Antiks » Feb 10, 2020 19:51

Teri wrote:Nearly whole Albion was at Dragon Raid - 32 People :wink:
The first time sinc a few wekk we have been enough - so no RvR, but Dragon

Very cool that so many came out!

Not sure if there will ever be RvR when the whole of Alb is on. The whole of Mid is maybe like 16-20 max, and Hib is like 6...Perhaps with a bit more distribution of players on weekends then more actual rvr might happen. 3:1 ratio isn't fun week-in and week-out, and it becomes difficult to motivate others to keep coming out against those odds. Though we do try. :)

Gratz on dragon again. Come do the other dragons sometime :wink:

Tree
Eagle Knight

Postby Tree » Feb 10, 2020 20:40

I stopped playing when I realized the server wouldnt change and Devs would not implement much needed improvements. I really loved the first few months of Uthgard and I am forever greatful for that time.
Tree - Animist Lvl 50 (RR 3L0, Legendary Tailor)
Aeomelia - Enchanter Lvl 50
Guild: SCHWERT & ROSE (provisional guild leader)

[HIB] Crafting Mat Wholesale
Diamond, Wyvernskin, Nightshade, Eldritch etc. huge quantities below vendor price - pm me!

Severian
Gryphon Knight

Postby Severian » Feb 10, 2020 23:38

I'd say burnout is what mostly made me stop playing. Despite the infinite well of stubbornness from the Devs, and their clear unwillingness to ever change anything meaningful, I had fun. I personally didn't want change for myself, as I love old DAoC as it was. I wanted change because I wanted folks to play with. It never happened, and Uthgard died.

Even still, I enjoyed Uthgard immensely in 2017 and had a lot of fun playing with folks in Loc, Myth and Arsenal.
Severian, RR5 Skald
Sacrament, RR4 Healer
Darkcircle, RR4 RM

albeyond
Gryphon Knight

Postby albeyond » Feb 11, 2020 00:08

2017 here was fantastic. im still having fun on the other server but it isnt as much fun as true classic was with that many players on a fresh launch

Requin
Eagle Knight

Postby Requin » Feb 13, 2020 12:16

I always think about coming back to Uthgard, I log in sometimes.

1) Exp rate is okay, but the difficulty is too high for solo play (non-caster): even with my level AF and DPS on a yellow mob I can lose up to 80% of my hp pool; and would have to wait for more than 5 minutes sitted to do the next mob; If instead I could chain them safely with the correct gear (which I usually have) then the exp rate wouldnt need to be improved. So in my opinion something is wrong in the formula that makes physical builds too difficult to level solo.

2) Autotrain is one of the feature that makes DAoC unique, in that it rewards hardcore play (not hardcore for every type of autotrain) and to have that feature removed was an almost total 180 for me ->uninstall

3) Shrouded Isles needs to be released or worked on.

4) Bad mentality of Powerleveling. Need to put in place anti-PL measures.

5) Lots of people were using third party software to craft; which made crafting lose all its glory. Need to be more proactive in catching the thieves. Now a full-reset would be almost mandatory to put everybody on even playing field again.

6) Lots of people were farming almost 24/7 and creating too much inflation.
Reminder to Self: Quality over Quantity, what is the Value here?

Abydos
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Abydos » Feb 13, 2020 19:58

If I may attempt to translate Requin's post...

"Its too hard to solo, XP is too slow"

"Without autotraining, the game isnt hard enough"

"Power leveling makes XP too fast, remove fast XP options"

"People played too much"

I don't really understand what playstyle you're looking for.

fremster
Eagle Knight

Postby fremster » Feb 13, 2020 20:15

Abydos wrote:If I may attempt to translate Requin's post...

"Its too hard to solo, XP is too slow"

"Without autotraining, the game isnt hard enough"

"Power leveling makes XP too fast, remove fast XP options"

"People played too much"

I don't really understand what playstyle you're looking for.

Haha love it

Ivant
Warder

Postby Ivant » Feb 13, 2020 22:28

Good thread, I logged in to have my say for the first time in QUITE a while

Uthgard failed for me because in the years since 1.65 on live my life has changed immeasurably, i dont come home at 3 after 6 hours of school and log on for three hours before tea, eat, smash my homework out and get another 2-3 hours in the evening.

Im lucky to get an hour to two hours *tops* and not every day, Most of the people i played with, some of those 4k+ that rushed here after launch are the same and it was *incredibly difficult* to level at an engaging rate.

While Abydos throwing shade at a player as above never gets old :roll: The poster wasnt overly wrong, The EXP was too slow for my group of friends to level quickly, it was very rare we were on at the same time anyway, But facilitating the XP rate for us came way way too late, and the bonus to camp bonus was an absoloute fudge, that was far more complex than a bass % buff could have been. But powerlevelling shouldnt have been the answer it became, It created elite guilds and groups of friends that just didnt need to engage with the rest of the realm, But i dont know the answer, a level range isnt great, because it stops groups of friends with mismatched playtimes from just hanging out having fun, But there could have been a cap to group xp if theres a 50 in the group or something..

Sadly i remember that people like myself werent valued, and our opinions were frequently deleted even as the membership fell "ITS SUMMER IS ALL!!"

We needed QoL, Because many of those implementations were bought in to improve the game, Porters, Healers, Account vaults etc. you need to play to the base, and thats nostalgic 30+ year olds with Fulltime jobs, kids and Wives. Uthgard made a choice NOT to be a home for me.

I know we arent meant to mention genesis here, but it did group xp incredibly well, yes i took a merc from 20 to 40 in 6 hours in DF with an 8 man that when i left had no original members left, and always had mismatched 10+ level range players, but we ALL found groups, we all had a blast, we all connected and we all stuck with the server untill its demise.

The game was meant to be fun, it was fun for an MMO in its day, but its day was a long time ago.

Ultimately i agree Uthgard is *THE* best server, with *THE* most stable platform and when its released and mailshots everyone a LOT of hype, But i think if it were a *BIT* more member driven and the customer service a little *LESS* condescending, or deliberately abrasive :roll: and perhaps a bit more understanding that Faster XP and less powerlevelling are not mutually exclusive.. Then Uth will always outcompete the other servers.

I passionately wanted it to, sadly a loud hardcore proportion of players (probably many of the 50 logged in now!!!) were vocally superior.

Abydos
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Abydos » Feb 14, 2020 02:37

Not sure what is meant by "throwing shade" - but I will clarify that

I read multiple contradicting statements there. The middle ground of both of them is "leave it the way it is".

But there is a suggestion to just "try something - anything". We've never been looking to deliver an experiment. We were starting with a set target and moving from there. But in the case of some things, if there isn't a clear path forward on something why risk changing from a known state? Sure it may not be perfect but consider that doing nothing *is* an option and in the absense of data could be the less risky or more correct one.

Requin
Eagle Knight

Postby Requin » Feb 14, 2020 02:50

Abydos wrote:I don't really understand what playstyle you're looking for.

1) EXP RATE & BALANCE
Leveling a necro from 1 to 50 is not so bad <-- Xp rate is okay
Leveling a mercenary from 1 to 50 is very bad <-- So exp rate is okay for specific conditions
The specific condition is that you can chain orange mobs solo.
You would need to be a Necro or Animist or AoE dot or damage reflect; overall mainly dps casters.
So I conclude that there is an issue with melee classes reaching an acceptable exp rate (which is available).
So there is no need to boost the exp; but instead a need to boost the ability to chain orange mobs for some classes.
How can it be done?
- Increase survivability of the handicap classes or decrease the difficulty of mobs for these classes (mob AF, mob physical resists).
or
- Give bonuses such as: endo 1, out of combat health regen.

2) AUTOTRAIN & PL & CRAFTING
The rarer the better:
- autotrain is increasing difficulty for a reward=unattainable specs/template, with PL you can level it without that additional difficulty.
- LGM crafting in the legal-classic way is difficult (patience and determination), with macro or queue it becomes easy and makes it less rare. It means less reward because there is too much supply of goods.
In guild voicecom or chat, most people were saying that they use macros to craft or exchanging PLs without shame.

3) PLAYSTYLE
I haven't done more than a few hours of RvR in Uthgard. It is not what I am looking for. I like the music, the environment, the collection of unique items, roleplay events, and the leveling experience (finish all dungeons solo and with group, getting optimal gear for each new level, doing all quests). ToA and Catacombs have built toward this playstyle more than RvR, I think its a common misconception that most players are playing DAoC for the RvR.
I want to feel immersed as a scout or monk or paladin living in the medieval times, going through the Camelot lore, from castle to castle and dungeon to dungeon. I am not gonna just roll through content mindlessly or stay afk lvling.

4) QoL & Custom Content:
ToA races are okay with me because they don't impact gameplay too much, could add more roleplay content.
So are championlevel, in order to still continue playing a character after lvl 50 (instead of RvR).
I also proposed fancy content: https://www.uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=45910
add quests, guide new players, without affecting gameplay too much.
The christmas event was a good add, I thought we could have had rotating event every month.
I haven't tried the campaigns in the live DAoC game, but I think they could grab my interest and Uthgard could develop it as well.

Maybe it's too much text, or it's hard to understand. I can summarize:
IMMERSION - COMMUNITY - BALANCE

Antiks
Gryphon Knight

Postby Antiks » Feb 14, 2020 03:03

Wow, just wow.

I sure I really just read what summed up to be, "I don't want people to play how they want to play bc I think it's wrong, and I really think people should only be able to play the way I want them to bc that's how I think the game is best played...Make this game conform to me personally and those with a similar lifestyle, idc about everyone else or the Dev's vision."

Go build your own shard. :bored:

Requin
Eagle Knight

Postby Requin » Feb 14, 2020 03:16

Antiks wrote:I don't want people to play how they want to play bc I think it's wrong

PL and macro crafting is like tax evasion and crime; it's breaking the balance of the designed system. It's not how "I" want it's how it is designed. They are glitches of the game that need to be fixed instead of used.

Antiks wrote:Make this game conform to me personally and those with a similar lifestyle, idc about everyone else or the Dev's vision.

I am just stating my opinion like everyone else. People who want RvR to be the main playstyle are lobbying their playstyle the same way.

Antiks
Gryphon Knight

Postby Antiks » Feb 14, 2020 08:41

Thus the endless cycle of nothing gets done is warranted. There must be middle ground and a consideration of all playstyles and timezones otherwise any one change drives off another player base.

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics