Looking forward to RvR missions!

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Jan 06, 2020 18:03

I just want to share some thoughts, about playing here (probably too much!) in 2019, and the future of Uthgard (which IMO is still a bright one.)

First of all, whenever one of these threads pops up, inactive players tend to come out of the woodwork with the same doom and gloom of "pull the plug!" I just want to say, if playing a different server while grumbling about the state of Uthgard on the forums was constructive in any way....there would probably be a que to log in!

If you go back to fremsters thread from this summer (thinking about returning?--it's still on the front page) there was a real positive vibe going on. I don't think there is a problem with Uthgards "direction" but rather it just seems to take a while for updates to happen. Throughout 2019, despite low population, Uthgard got some great updates, which IMO will add a lot to the future fun-factor of the server. The frequent forum troll idea that "staff abandoned the server!" is frustrating to always hear...because it seems logical that the ambition between the players and developers is probably linked both ways.

Anyway, it might seem ridiculous to some, but I think there is a very good chance that RvR missions are going to improve not only the fun-factor of Uthgard, but also over time, the population. Sort of like the last piece of the puzzle being added.

While glancing at population numbers, it's rather easy to think Uthgard is "dead." However, I think if we had the data on the number of accounts that logged in, and played throughout 2019, it would paint a different picture than simply looking at daily peaks on Unixgeek. Safe to say, there is still a large number of players cycling in and out that want to play here. And this is really where RvR missions will shine...

When there is something to do or some action, players stay logged in longer, and are more likely to log in the next day. 2019 had many periods where players were quite active trying daily to make action...usually consistently for a few weeks. During those weeks, we would see population almost double...with peaks from 80-100. And, it wasn't always the same folks staying around for the action. Think of a revolving door, with probably 500+ people outside, and 50-100 inside.

Inevitably the "action" would always die back down, players get frustrated with the keep RPs, lack of more exciting roaming action, and the fact that solo/small groups basically don't exists...

Not only will RvR missions (hopefully!) provide a constant pulse of action, but as well: a more dynamic kind of action. To me, they really are the last big thing Uthgard needs. It's not a revolving door with 30 people inside and 70 people outside...I saw a large number of players cycle in and out in 2019 when there was constant action...I believe there were hundreds of players that cycled in and out in 2019...and RvR missions will make staying around a lot easier.

The foundation of Uthgard (IMO) is pretty good, and players that want to focus on RvR can do so. Stat charges, RvR horse routes, quick port option, det3 for hybrids, multi charge pots. As well, funding a RvR character here is pretty cheap...I run 3 charges and pots on my inf, and I pretty much do one farm session a month. (I found this out late, but a charge on a MP lvl 1 item, doesn't need the 40g renewel...its based on item level, and the 2g renewel works!)

Anyway, flame on, tell me how I'm just a sad soul trapped playing here :-P

Or, if you happen to read this and you're excited to play on Uthgard with constant action from RvR missions, share some excitement on this thread! We tried offering Abydos beer, pizza, and cake to finish RvR missions...but maybe some good vibes for classic DAoC will help too!
Bonz - Arran - Masticore - Rhakan

Alb Morgan le Fay: Bonzki
Hib Merlin: Grahmdal

Antiks
Gryphon Knight

Postby Antiks » Jan 06, 2020 22:54

I agree that having this implemented will likely cause a boon, albeit if not with a population increase, at least with the current population as it will add a bit of spice to things.

Some variety of action would be a nice thing to get eventually, but regardless of what does or doesn't happens with the RvR missions, I am hoping for and looking forward to more open field skirmishes and keep intercepts with the Albs like we have been having lately( granted I know there are still times where numbers/classes are not ideal for one side or the other and dodging occurs but that's just the way it is ). Seem like now that holidays are over maybe we will get some more times where both sides can get a FG together, so again I am hopeful that from time to time we can start just roaming again and keeptake on the side vs the other way around like it has been.

kinthos
Gryphon Knight

Postby kinthos » Jan 07, 2020 04:55

I'd come back to do RvR missions - but unfortunately I fear it won't help while keep RPs are so attractive. They would need to be reduced and given some other purpose/reward.
- Inqy/Spymistress/Sly -
GM of "eXPedient demise" | Slave of "Crows of Winter"

Sumosan
Gryphon Knight

Postby Sumosan » Jan 07, 2020 17:57

believe me, rvr missions will mostly be keep-related, as it's their design

madskaizer
Eagle Knight

Postby madskaizer » Jan 27, 2020 00:04

We can only hope that the last active admin can implement this alone
Uthgard 2.0 auto-bestiary Zones, maps, monsters, locations, items, drop rates and statistics.
DAoC game mechanics information templates, realm ranks, spell dmg type, melee speed, blocking, exp/group calculation
Alb <M Y T H>: Citybilens, 50 Minstrel, Muchthinarms, 49 Paladin & Boltsarebroken, 48 Wizard
Hib: April, 50 Eldritch
Mid <Myth>: Direktoeren, 50 Shaman, Flammespyd, 50 Runemaster & Skambankeren, 50 Berzerker

also Tesla coil and high voltage is my hobby

Ithiggi
Gryphon Knight

Postby Ithiggi » Jan 27, 2020 01:52

This sounds good. Would the missions be like Uth1 with both group and solo tasks?

Antiks
Gryphon Knight

Postby Antiks » Jan 27, 2020 02:22

The more I think about this they would likely be another way to PvE RP's for keeps, and not what they should be which is tasks for killing players in the FZ. oO

Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Jan 27, 2020 02:30

Don't worry, Antiks. I'm sure if and when RvR missions come, your guild can figure out a way to cross-realm farm RP with them.

Antiks
Gryphon Knight

Postby Antiks » Jan 27, 2020 02:44

If every single person other then those in my guild were the only ones on the server. Then yes we would split our guild on different realms and play here until the light go out, only difference is we would actually fight each other and not trade keeps. I bet we would all be in the same disco channel too and laughing about it and just having an overall great time playing the game it was meant to be played, killing the enemy players, and ofc being around friends for a bit. :lol: :D :lol:

Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Jan 27, 2020 03:12

Lol, funny yo hear a member of Ripbros guild talking about, "playing the game the way it was meant to be played."

PLEASE, tell me of an original normal server that allowed you to switch realms...?

wachawacha
Myrmidon

Postby wachawacha » Jan 27, 2020 03:44

madskaizer wrote:We can only hope that the last active admin can implement this alone

I've offered them help, but they won't respond. Lack of trust kills everything, and they won't even try to have someone help them a few hours a week programming

Antiks
Gryphon Knight

Postby Antiks » Jan 27, 2020 04:31

dodge in game and dodge in forums too. yes we play the game to kill people, but keep grasping at all the straws you want and holding on to anything that supports your ongoing ragefest on us.

virulent-
Gryphon Knight

Postby virulent- » Jan 27, 2020 04:38

bonz, don't waste ur energy on snoozebro's trashcan crew...the pve/dodging scrubs aren't worth it. they are irrelevant to the rvr scene, period. :bored: :lol:
Drastic / Blademistaire / Kardashian
<Ravensworn> of Hibernia, Palomides 2001 - 2002 *** <Triggered> of Albion, Uthgard2 2017 - 2021

Antiks
Gryphon Knight

Postby Antiks » Jan 27, 2020 04:47

Oh there you are, did you have a nice workout at the gym relieving all that stress of getting your bg wiped by 14 mids mister mids cant win when Im on... hope the wallfehouse was nice and gave you a discount.

Ebbie
Myrmidon

Postby Ebbie » Jan 27, 2020 04:53

virulent- wrote:bonz, don't waste ur energy on snoozebro's trashcan crew...the pve/dodging scrubs aren't worth it. they are irrelevant to the rvr scene, period. :bored: :lol:

You realize trashcans serve a vital role in the waste disposal system... Taking out the trash. :lol:

Next

Return to General Topics