RvR fest

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Dec 09, 2019 02:55

Thanks to the group of Hibs for keeping the rvr-fest going! I think everybody left in Emain at the end had some fun.

80+ people on...full groups killing each other in Emain...

I've certainly had more boring days playing here :-)
Bonz - Arran - Masticore - Rhakan

Alb Morgan le Fay: Bonzki
Hib Merlin: Grahmdal

Antiks
Gryphon Knight

Postby Antiks » Dec 09, 2019 04:14

Grahmdal wrote:Thanks to the group of Hibs for keeping the rvr-fest going! I think everybody left in Emain at the end had some fun.

80+ people on...full groups killing each other in Emain...

I've certainly had more boring days playing here :-)

Nice! Glad to hear it. Next weekend should be better too since more hibs will be ready to party :grin:

IamKaia
Myrmidon

Postby IamKaia » Dec 09, 2019 21:08

Glad ya'll had fun. Looking at the herald, you made a very mediocre amount of RPs though, comparing to an evening of keeptaking.

Guess this isn't such a "minor keeptake incentive" after all, who knew.

wachawacha
Myrmidon

Postby wachawacha » Dec 10, 2019 21:08

IamKaia wrote:Glad ya'll had fun. Looking at the herald, you made a very mediocre amount of RPs though, comparing to an evening of keeptaking.

Fun > relampoints

We just gotta get realms rebalanced and slowly it'll bring itself up. We had 80+ on Sunday which is the highest I've seen in a long time!

kinthos
Gryphon Knight

Postby kinthos » Dec 11, 2019 10:43

wachawacha wrote:
IamKaia wrote:Glad ya'll had fun. Looking at the herald, you made a very mediocre amount of RPs though, comparing to an evening of keeptaking.

Fun > relampoints

We just gotta get realms rebalanced and slowly it'll bring itself up. We had 80+ on Sunday which is the highest I've seen in a long time!

This is a very salient point. While keep rps offer a significant amount more than you can gain from *proper* RvR - nothing will change. In fact, nothing has changed since the server for a long time - even when we had a sensible population. I was trying to bring this topic up well before Phoenix was even released. As a Hib player, we were hurt by this a much longer time ago than the other 2 realms...

This topic was picking out MIdgard at the time who were dominating - however, the keep rps problem was already identified as an issue: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=47367 Ignore when the topic goes off in to rants with certain volatile people and me posting memes and goading them ;p
- Inqy/Spymistress/Sly -
GM of "eXPedient demise" | Slave of "Crows of Winter"

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Dec 11, 2019 13:00

wachawacha wrote:

Fun > relampoints

That's a pretty healthy attitude you have there, but I fear it's wrong time and a wrong place to have it. Most people currently playing (and most people since the start of this server tbh) don't want any kind of challenge, grind, any kind of hmmm realistic feeling of success or failure - meaning fighting approx equal numbers and to be responsible for their win or loss. First time they die, they whine on forum how everything should be changed, even though most of them can't buff properly, they still keyboard turn etc., and the first words you'll hear from them is how they've been playing the game for 15 years and met their wife via DAOC :D.

I feel you, even with low population we could have very nice action but sadly most people don't share your view. Dunno if you're aware of this, but a bunch of Albs and Mids have been trading keeps for months now. It was supposed to be a temporary solution for the summer cause of ultra low population, they had some sort of an agreement where they'd upgrade doors on lvl 1 keeps to lvl 4 and that way you get 1274 rps for a lvl 1 keep. Problem is, they're still doing it and consciously avoiding inc, unless it's defending a keep. Some Mids even nag other Mids (who are not in favor of this keep trade business) to upgrade doors and give them ****** if they don't. Like a month and a half ago or so we actually had like 1.5fg out and Albs had about the same numbers. Our FG was fine but the sidecar was not so glorious, 4-5 people, some not 50 or templated and they had too many seers. Still, we needed them with us. This guy was like "we'll catch up" after every single keep we took. I mean, he knows there is inc out and we already had a few fights and he still insists we start taking the next keep without them cause they're busy upgrading doors.

It's almost always chaos atm, every time we zone you have to beg for buffs. Sometimes it takes us 10 mins to buff, literally. We have some lvl 50 healers who don't even have a concentration or group buff screen, you beg them nicely to buff just certain buffs and they keep spamming all the buffs on already buffed people for 3 mins straight, not realizing these people already have these buffs and they just need to do theirs. And well, people in groups are way too nice and since most of the time we have one seer too many, someone fills in the buffs and nobody learns anything so it's same ****** next time.

Look, I might be wrong and I'm just talking about my personal experience on uthgard2. I might be super far from the truth and I might have had bad luck with running into wrong people etc. and most players are actually ok. However, at least in my experience this is not so on this server. I've played some other games and I've also played futsal for years with people who were cursed by the gods or bad genetics to have super ****** movement coordination, reflexes, speed etc. and even in them at least I saw some improvement over time. This is not so on this server, we have a lot of people who have been engaging in an activity for almost 20 years and haven't really learned anything.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also average at best on most classes. However, I do have this view that hmmmm, I really don't care about winning or losing, as long as everyone tries their best and tries to execute the plan we've agreed upon and try to do the right thing. I really don't care if this right thing comes 5 sec too late or if they don't execute the plan perfectly or if they panic a bit...who cares, you can't always win and there is always someone who's more talented, learns faster, has better reflexes or teamplay or whatever. But hell, here it's almost always chaos. You spend 10 minutes explaining the plan and then everyone does their own thing, 2 people explode on inc ignoring the leader completely, nobody calls damage (which is at this patch level pretty much an insta death cause heal spells are slow and there is no DI with old RAs) when they see a tank train coming for them or when they get stunned and debuffed etc. Nobody really asks questions on what they could do better, what should they spec etc. We have zerkers running around with dodger 2-3, people with rr4 chars and no purge, rr3 pac healers with raging power and no cast speed. It's an old game and we should be at a point where people kinda know what to do, but the more skilled player/team wins cause they perform better under pressure, have better reflexes and they simply do the right things faster and they make less mistakes. But man, I have a feeling nobody even tries to learn or do the right thing. Again, I could be 100% wrong. Truth to be told, I don't see them getting much better cause they're super content with their 1274 rps and with keep trading. Fighting other players is something most people don't really want to, unless they have superior numbers or are fighting a gimped setup of enemies.

I really don't blame the players though. This patch level and old RAs hurt casuals and so-called elite players equally. The amount of viable setups for rvr is severely restricted, some solo classes are insanely superior to others and certain RAs are just super overpowered and make no sense. The golden age of this server is long gone and Blue has only himself to blame. He was arrogant to loyal players and at the same time catered to people who reacted emotionally to any loss in RvR and acted like a lynch mob with no real solid arguments for their requests, and then they moved onto another host like parasites always do. If the "other server" flops or goes down for any reason, addicts will still play here. However, if that doesn't happen I think uthgard has maybe 6 months or 1 year of semi decent action when/if we get SI, that will create a short-term population spike and maybe some RvR action. But hell, this patch level and old RAs are just terrible for any kind of diversity and it gets boring really fast (especially when you have players around who have no problem in burning overpowered 30 min re-use RAs and then going afk for 30 mins).

Sorry for the rant, my friend. And yes, I basically agree with you...it could be nice. However, there is a cult out there...the 1274 rps cult. They're like the moonies, it's easy to get in but it's hard to get out :DDD. Can't be helped at this point, it is what it is. At least the Alb zerg does their keep take as a hmmm, casual fun event so that's ok and it always had its place in DAOC. But man, these cultists trading their keeps day and night and most of the time not even fighting...pretty crazy :D. So yeah, I'm glad you enjoy the actual fights and that you're not just an RP whore, but that can't be said for most people. There have been nights on uth1 when we would roam for 2 hours and got only 3 incs in the whole evening, and still be content, even if we lost 2/3. Not the same here, a lot of people have chosen a very old game and they want instant fun, super ez mode and they expect to have an easy time and react emotionally and spam requests when things don't go their way against people who are not lemmings and actually know how to play their class. If you offer any advice or constructive criticism or god forbid ask them to do something, you're branded an elitist (dunno why this word has such a negative connotation to begin with, I've played with most of the "elite" players on uth1 when I was still overextending and exploding and 99% of them were super friendly and were giving me good advice...but hey, to each his own).

Anyhow, good luck with your plans and hopefully you get some fights. Keep your eyes out on the cultists though, they have secret handshakes and everything. If you see numbers 1274 (rps they get for lvl 1 keep with lvl 4 dors) or 416 (the amount of ironwood wooden boards needed to get both doors to lvl 4) anywhere, stay clear...it could be their ritual site, these numbers play an important role in their symbology and are associated with demonic forces :).
It is what it is.

Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Dec 11, 2019 17:55

kinthos wrote:...the keep rps problem was already identified as an issue: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=47367 ...

That old thread really has nothing to do with the "issue of RPs for keeps" In fact, it's mostly just a flame-fest...I just skimmed it searching for "keep takes" and found this statement:

kinthos wrote:...who do you expect RipBro to kill when no-one else is going out in his playtime (NA peak)? Enemy online have an opportunity to go out and fight him and stop his keep takes? What the hell do you have against him anyway? Whats wrong with him taking keeps. Who's to say you playing like you do makes you a rockstar and him not...

Coming from the (now) frequent complainer of "The Keep Take Issue," that old statement is just hilarious.

Relating to this thread...the 5 fights between Alb/Hib last Sunday....they happened because a group of Hibs saw flames on Herald, and came to fight...which created some fun open field action afterwords.

The easiest way to stop people from making Valfars demonic number of RP (1274), is to just get off the forum and (as Spy put it) "Go out and fight them, and stop the keep takes."

Valfar wrote:That's a pretty healthy attitude you [wachawacha] have there, but I fear it's wrong time and a wrong place to have it. Most people currently playing (and most people since the start of this server tbh) don't want any kind of challenge...(etc, etc, etc)

Can I just point out....Mids no-showed to this event, except for wachawacha, and his mate...rocking a thane/healer duo. There were over 80 people online, with 3 different casual groups of 8 Albs roaming Emain....and Midgard can't get 6 more people to go out with Henes/Jerofold? Isn't fighting the Romu zerg 1 group at a time, in the open, what Mids dream about? :lol:

virulent-
Gryphon Knight

Postby virulent- » Dec 11, 2019 20:30

Valfar wrote:
That's a pretty healthy attitude you have there, but I fear it's wrong time and a wrong place to have it. Most people currently playing (and most people since the start of this server tbh) don't want any kind of challenge, grind, any kind of hmmm realistic feeling of success or failure - meaning fighting approx equal numbers and to be responsible for their win or loss.

ahem...i left alb, a rank 10 minstrel, and 6 relics about a week or so ago to play on the underdog hib realm. get ur facts straight nubcake. see u out in the NA time frontiers soon.
Drastic / Blademistaire / Kardashian
<Ravensworn> of Hibernia, Palomides 2001 - 2002 *** <Triggered> of Albion, Uthgard2 2017 - 2021

wachawacha
Myrmidon

Postby wachawacha » Dec 11, 2019 21:00

Grahmdal wrote:Can I just point out....Mids no-showed to this event, except for wachawacha, and his mate...rocking a thane/healer duo. There were over 80 people online, with 3 different casual groups of 8 Albs roaming Emain....and Midgard can't get 6 more people to go out with Henes/Jerofold? Isn't fighting the Romu zerg 1 group at a time, in the open, what Mids dream about? :lol:

Please shame the midgard realm. I was practically begging people to go out, we had 27 people online, and no one even responded to myself or Jero

Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Dec 11, 2019 21:41

wachawacha wrote:Please shame the midgard realm. I was practically begging people to go out, we had 27 people online, and no one even responded to myself or Jero

Hmm...I could probably dig up a shameful screenshot of a group of 5 mids (4 from Valfar's guild, including rr5 healer) wiping open field to caba/scout/cleric.... :lol:

-but-

I will need a couple of drinks in me to do something so cheeky.

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Dec 11, 2019 23:41

Grahmdal wrote:
wachawacha wrote:Please shame the midgard realm. I was practically begging people to go out, we had 27 people online, and no one even responded to myself or Jero

Hmm...I could probably dig up a shameful screenshot of a group of 5 mids (4 from Valfar's guild, including rr5 healer) wiping open field to caba/scout/cleric.... :lol:

-but-

I will need a couple of drinks in me to do something so cheeky.

Let's get drunk together then and post all screenshots, any suggestions regarding food? Shall it be fine liquor or just cheap beer :D? Btw, as far as the event goes...half of us were not interested at all cause some had family dinner, others worked late shift and well most of us just were not interested. Anyway, if it's come to the point where we have to make "events" to have normal inc, maybe just let it die then. I hear you though and if you're willing play solo in bonus zones, I'm in and hit me up on forum. Blue told me it's not against the rules to say stuff like: "we're in this zone"...as long as you don't give any specifics. Nice card Masticore, had it in my wildfire deck 20 years ago or so :). On topic, if you were forced to participate in RvR with that Jero guy, I guarantee you that you would permanently lose chunks of your sanity to the abyss, no matter how drunk you were. I don't mind dying 100 times in a row, but not because people don't even try and have lvl 50 seers and it takes them 15 mins to buff. Anyhow, thanks for trying to organize stuff, but it's hard to motivate people to show up and hmmm some of us really hate Blue and Trishin to the point where we only show up to chat while doing something...no point creating an illusion that the dead horse is alive by electroshocking it. Oh well, such is the life in the caliphate of uthgard2 and Russell Crowe had some good points :D. Well anyway, I'm not gonna participate in zerg events or any kinds of events. However, if you wanna do some solo fights in bonus zones or if we make it happen 3 times a week that an 8man from each realm actually roams emain or something, hit me up and I'll tell you which days are best for most people and around what time of the day. Gonna have myself some dinner, take care Sir.

Oh ye, I forgot. I saw you've mentioned the flames on herald. It used to be a nice tool on uthgard1, we also used it to mislead enemy groups and trap them. However, with the 3 min delay it's kinda pointless, dunno why that was changed tbh, but I guess that it's one of those things we must accept as a part of life in this caliphate.
It is what it is.

kinthos
Gryphon Knight

Postby kinthos » Dec 12, 2019 00:43

Grahmdal wrote:
kinthos wrote:...the keep rps problem was already identified as an issue: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=47367 ...

That old thread really has nothing to do with the "issue of RPs for keeps" In fact, it's mostly just a flame-fest...I just skimmed it searching for "keep takes" and found this statement:

kinthos wrote:...who do you expect RipBro to kill when no-one else is going out in his playtime (NA peak)? Enemy online have an opportunity to go out and fight him and stop his keep takes? What the hell do you have against him anyway? Whats wrong with him taking keeps. Who's to say you playing like you do makes you a rockstar and him not...

Coming from the (now) frequent complainer of "The Keep Take Issue," that old statement is just hilarious.

Relating to this thread...the 5 fights between Alb/Hib last Sunday....they happened because a group of Hibs saw flames on Herald, and came to fight...which created some fun open field action afterwords.

The easiest way to stop people from making Valfars demonic number of RP (1274), is to just get off the forum and (as Spy put it) "Go out and fight them, and stop the keep takes."

Valfar wrote:That's a pretty healthy attitude you [wachawacha] have there, but I fear it's wrong time and a wrong place to have it. Most people currently playing (and most people since the start of this server tbh) don't want any kind of challenge...(etc, etc, etc)

Can I just point out....Mids no-showed to this event, except for wachawacha, and his mate...rocking a thane/healer duo. There were over 80 people online, with 3 different casual groups of 8 Albs roaming Emain....and Midgard can't get 6 more people to go out with Henes/Jerofold? Isn't fighting the Romu zerg 1 group at a time, in the open, what Mids dream about? :lol:

Yeh I posted the wrong thread as I was rushing to find one of my old posts. Search for my previous moans if you want. Anyway, this one is certainly a heavy flame fest. However - I specifically call out the keeps being a heavy unbalancing effect - and I propose solutions to it. The keeps give a ridiculous dmg bonuse on top of the relics that was and STILL IS unbalancing. This Back then, though - I was very happy with Rip taking keeps back to Alb - because at this time, Mid was dominating relics and keeps. Hibs of course, didn't have the numbers to compete (surprise) - so Rip's constant keep and relic attacks were the only thing keeping the mids of that time in check somewhat.

Back to now, the hib group you are talking about had me on the NS, Saz on bard, Teisi, Dafirbie and a number of other hiblets that popped on to fight when we managed to get it together - we had 5-7 players in it depending on when you inc-d. I have to say, we were very impressed that you guys kept coming out after we beat you down a few times in a row. Eventually you beat us too! So it was good fights all round.

It is a valid point though that the RP reward for all of this is disappointingly low though for perhaps some of the best action I've seen on the server in a long time.
- Inqy/Spymistress/Sly -
GM of "eXPedient demise" | Slave of "Crows of Winter"

Ilerget
Phoenix Knight

Postby Ilerget » Dec 12, 2019 00:50

seems that this needs to be reviewed, shouldn't be possible to get more rps taking keeps than in real fights
It's the thrill of the chase
and I'm coming after you.

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Dec 12, 2019 00:55

Ilerget wrote:seems that this needs to be reviewed, shouldn't be possible to get more rps taking keeps than in real fights

It is what it is, no player kill tasks also doesn't help. My main issue with these old frontier doors and rams is that one person can operate a ram and well, spending very little money on door upgrade can boost the keep's potential RPS way more than upgrading the level of the keep. On uthgard1 it was way better with more people having to swing the ram for full damage and it was like 500 rps per level of the keep, no matter the door level. Same translates to relics, it's ridiculously easy to take them here, especially if you have the numbers during NA time. Not that I care much about relics, never did really...but I'm just saying that they should be harder to take and that the bonuses should be lesser and that having relics would be a matter of prestige, and not a game breaking feature for some.

Back to topic, it is ridiculous that fighting players gives you less rps. Player kill tasks would help balancing that out to a degree and RvR missions would also create inc cause people would travel the frontiers or even camp areas etc. Don't expect any common sense from Blue though :D.

Btw nice signature, up the Irons :D.
It is what it is.

Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Dec 12, 2019 02:25

Yeah...we've all been looking forward to RvR missions since Genjiro confirmed they're coming....(Jan 2019 I believe he said that :hammer: )

From what I've heard, RvR missions/tasks were just as much of a debated issue as Keep taking RPs are now (and then...I think eventually Keeps were worth RP on Uth1?) So I'm sure it's something the staff want to "get right."

With that said....PvP still is worth more RP than anything now....but it needs 2 or more people who actually want to fight (and not just once every 30 minutes with cooldowns ready.) So...IMO, unless you're a player actively trying to RvR...don't just sit back and complain that keep taking is a massive part of the activity on the server.

Also, in my experience, groups that go out to take keeps are trying to stir up action, and welcome enemies to make the day more fun. Dodging really only happens when the numbers are lop sided. Also, the herald would be worthless (if not outright easy to abuse by dodgers) if the flames were instant. The 3 minute delay also means the keep has been under siege for three minutes, meaning it's usually a committed attempt by the attackers & a ram is down....also the flames stop after one minute if not under siege...so IMO as it is, it's a much more valuable piece of info.

With that said, with a little bit of creative use of alts (stealthers are good) parked at milegates, a main team ready to mobilize, and even pets left on aggro, or conc buffs....it is not that hard to track down dodgers. But....once the glorious chase is over, and you get to inc them...they'll just log :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics