Repopulate Hib

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
wachawacha
Myrmidon

Postby wachawacha » Nov 22, 2019 00:16

Could we give an XP bonus or something to get people on Hib? It doesn't seem like the game is at its potential if we resign to Alb having a large player base, with mid a somewhat close second and no third realm. Hib hasn't been the most popular server since the beginning, but having and XP bonus and RP bonus for hib for a little bit couldn't hurt as it would get people back into the realm, and make the game more like how it was supposed to be played.

Zetetic
Gryphon Knight

Postby Zetetic » Nov 22, 2019 10:23

I feel for you. Really. I have played Hib TONS.

Who knows what the devs are open to. Maybe they will do this.

Another thing that I think would help hib is an SI release. Hy Brasil is a nice place for many of the more sophisticated farming classes, like animists, to flourish. Plus its just freaking cool.

Abydos
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Abydos » Nov 22, 2019 11:14

fwiw i play hib

Ilerget
Phoenix Knight

Postby Ilerget » Nov 22, 2019 12:36

if you are playing hib you will notice that there is a small bonus...so small that you don't notice the difference
It's the thrill of the chase
and I'm coming after you.

Satiah
Eagle Knight

Postby Satiah » Nov 22, 2019 14:37

Hibernia's dragon hasn't been killed for over a year. Respec stones have all been bought up to 5plat+. Nobody has been rog farming for a whiled now. No access to df for month's to get jewelry, etc.

I've tried playing some weeks ago, but the playerbase is so low it's impossible to form groups todo anything. Me playing like an idiot in RvR didnt help much either, but what else is new. I'd still love to play, but there just isn't enough people. It comes down to trying to take an (couple) of unclaimed keeps with 3-4 man. Or xp/farm solo, which I've done too much anyways. Taking unclaimed keeps will just give more rps to the keep take caroucel, as we cannot defend the keeps anyways.

Anyways, everything to help the realm/game has been said multiple times now. Either changes will come, or it will stay a 2 realm game.
Satiah | Tuthmes | Dendera | Khufu | Nefertete | Dahshur | Nebetah | Neterbaiu

MrPickles
Warder

Postby MrPickles » Nov 22, 2019 15:39

What's the easiest class to solo to 50 on hib? Animist I assume? Haven't played in a long time. Only logged on to pay rent on alb over the last year or so. Wouldn't mind taking a stab at playing hib. I have about 4-5 hours a week max to play. I remember back in 2017 that wouldn't have been enough time to make any decent progress, is that still the case? I miss OF & the classic setting.

IamKaia
Myrmidon

Postby IamKaia » Nov 22, 2019 16:31

Not sure (another) exp bonus would achieve repopulation on hib.

As was said, dragon has not been killed in ages either, but in spite of both those things, there is basically very little point to Hib, because you can't put a somewhat viable group together to challenge mid/alb groups that still run.

On the flip side, you can't solo either because you're either harassing xpers and lowbies (like a whole 2 xpers per evening) and nobody soloes on uthgard, pretty much. So unless you want to waste your evenings roaming solo and killing 1 or 2 people, to ultimately get rolled by 10l minstrelboi, no point.

Smallmanning would work, except hib does not have the ressources to achieve that and people that try often times are left having to play classes they frankly can't play so more frustration. I don't think other realms realize how insurmontable it is atm to achieve a basis of bard-druid-BM/hero. And i am not even talking about the oh-so-high luxury of having 2 druids. Man wouldn't that be swell.

I'd argue that it would be more productive to just forego hib completely and have just 2 realms duking it out. Hib's underpopulation isn't so much a Hib problem as it is an Uthgard problem.

- low server population
- lower realm population (most nights hib is between 1% and 8% of the server pop, and i haven't had a FG for months and months)
- no incentive to do actual roaming rvr (keeptakes = more and safer RP)
- no incentive to smallman/solo (keeptakes= more RP)
- the most populated realm just comes out in overpowering numbers 2-3 times a week to pve keeps because taking keeps yields far more RP than actual RVR.

see a pattern? nevermind that it never was classic Daoc experience to boil down rvr to pve-keeptakes, hib cannot achieve a keep takes on anything that is claimed.

Basically i don't see the point in Uthgard, and even less so the point in Hib.
I might log in one of these days and take a few choice screencaptures of the current state of hib pops by doing /who at specific times. Or you can take my word for it that i often did get a result looking like 1(29) last times i played. Or other times there are 2 lvl 50 online and the rest are lowbies doing whatever.

Sorry

fwiw i play hib

You tell such nice jokes.
Last edited by IamKaia on Nov 22, 2019 16:48, edited 5 times in total.

Ilerget
Phoenix Knight

Postby Ilerget » Nov 22, 2019 16:33

MrPickles wrote:What's the easiest class to solo to 50 on hib? Animist I assume? Haven't played in a long time. Only logged on to pay rent on alb over the last year or so. Wouldn't mind taking a stab at playing hib. I have about 4-5 hours a week max to play. I remember back in 2017 that wouldn't have been enough time to make any decent progress, is that still the case? I miss OF & the classic setting.

Enchanter is easy too + speed + farm spec good for RvR
It's the thrill of the chase
and I'm coming after you.

Rendiviel
Gryphon Knight

Postby Rendiviel » Nov 22, 2019 17:14

I have a couple hib characters... I could start leveling my mentalist again. Bard+mentalist can do some fun AOE pulling, if done right IIRC... but really. We need some incentive beyond 10% exp bonus. The population is so low that you can't even properly get the full group bonus.

Makofan
Warder

Postby Makofan » Nov 22, 2019 17:44

All of Hib's neat classes are ungroupable in RvR. Nobody wants a champion, a warden (shields need to be specced!), a mentalist, a valewalker, and when you roil ranger you are going solo anyway

Read the above as "all the classes I think are neat". Some people might like bards and druids

wachawacha
Myrmidon

Postby wachawacha » Nov 22, 2019 19:12

Good replies.

I don't think it's impossible to repopulate hib, it's just effort. For the people already on hib they should reach out to low levels and offer to PL. It's an investment, but you need newbies to stay. I play mid and I'm not even 50 yet but make sure to reach out to any low levels I see to offer support any way they'd like. It gets people to want to stay, as they feel welcomed.

We should offer a 100% xp bonus or something to hib and have a mass email sent out to hib players to try to get them back. If only a small amount come back were in a much better shape..

I have never played hib, but I'd try if it would help the server.

IamKaia
Myrmidon

Postby IamKaia » Nov 22, 2019 19:44

wachawacha wrote:Good replies.

I don't think it's impossible to repopulate hib, it's just effort. For the people already on hib they should reach out to low levels and offer to PL. It's an investment, but you need newbies to stay. I play mid and I'm not even 50 yet but make sure to reach out to any low levels I see to offer support any way they'd like. It gets people to want to stay, as they feel welcomed.

Been there, done that. People get pled, get frustrated because there is nobody to do RvR with (and few to rvr against) and like a whole 3 crafters who can do their armor/weapons, and leave as quick as they came. Besides, PLing nublets does not allow for them to learn their classes, which brings about a whole other issue later down the line.

All in all, most realize that Uthgard 2 RVR boils down to pveing keep doors, waiting for people to come retake it, realizing that they won't, moving on to the next keep doors, over and over until there aren't keeps to take, people go to sleep, you hate your daoc life.

It's utter trash.

We should offer a 100% xp bonus or something to hib and have a mass email sent out to hib players to try to get them back. If only a small amount come back were in a much better shape..

100% xp bonus, you mean on top of the 10% already in place? I mean, there are other freeshards with that kind of xp bonus. XP never really was the problem anyway, not was it a real incentive for people to play.

I have never played hib, but I'd try if it would help the server.

Don't say you would, do it :roll:

Abydos
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Abydos » Nov 22, 2019 20:39

Interesting you bring up smallman, as Hib is easily the best realm to smallman with. It has the greatest variety of smallman capable combos.

In terms of "easiest" to solo... if you want speed, pick up enchanter. In terms of being versatile, though you lack speed, hero is a fav of mine

IamKaia
Myrmidon

Postby IamKaia » Nov 22, 2019 20:45

Abydos wrote:Interesting you bring up smallman, as Hib is easily the best realm to smallman with. It has the greatest variety of smallman capable combos.

In terms of "easiest" to solo... if you want speed, pick up enchanter. In terms of being versatile, though you lack speed, hero is a fav of mine

To my knowledge any and all small man combos for hib include a bard. Which no bard is playing hib at the moment. other important classes are complete no-shows. (druids, wardens, BM, heros to mention some of them.)

Wth kind of discussion are we having "hib is the easiest to smallman with" Oo
Do you even ****** live on this planet dude, or you're just pretending to be a dev for uthgard?

What is the point of having easy small man combos if 1: there aren't targets for smallmen (because no one else is smallmanning/soloing) 2: there are no bards/druids and i know 1 whole hero that is not even his main class and he's inactive atm.

really...

Abydos
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Abydos » Nov 22, 2019 21:14

Right, sorry, I'll leave you to your ragefest.

Sorry for engaging.

Next

Return to General Topics