Let's talk about the population

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
albeyond
Gryphon Knight

Postby albeyond » Nov 17, 2019 21:01

Quik wrote:
albeyond wrote:I am done until GMs do something to increase population.

Well for me it is whether the GM's are willing to do the little things to TRY to bring me back. Uth has done pretty decent by increasing xp rate and a few other things, but Uth still refuses to even consider doing other little things like account vault.

I have been told in no uncertain terms by Abidos that this will never happen and I can use housing, even though I mentioned multiple times I hate housing and refuse to use it. What do people not understand about those of us that just don't want to get a house and deal with keeping our house up and running??? It's a stupid system and not very well done and I don't want to use it...period.

Apparently a lot of players here feel like Abidos, and that's fine, I am just telling Uth that this is a way to make a few people want to come back, and it's an easy way that has ZERO impact on RvR.

I also hope those rigid people for classic, the server will never get any decent population if it isn't willing to TRY to bring people back.

I would add that a few more hasteners would be nice

Quik
Myrmidon

Postby Quik » Nov 17, 2019 22:44

albeyond wrote:
Quik wrote:
albeyond wrote:I am done until GMs do something to increase population.

Well for me it is whether the GM's are willing to do the little things to TRY to bring me back. Uth has done pretty decent by increasing xp rate and a few other things, but Uth still refuses to even consider doing other little things like account vault.

I have been told in no uncertain terms by Abidos that this will never happen and I can use housing, even though I mentioned multiple times I hate housing and refuse to use it. What do people not understand about those of us that just don't want to get a house and deal with keeping our house up and running??? It's a stupid system and not very well done and I don't want to use it...period.

Apparently a lot of players here feel like Abidos, and that's fine, I am just telling Uth that this is a way to make a few people want to come back, and it's an easy way that has ZERO impact on RvR.

I also hope those rigid people for classic, the server will never get any decent population if it isn't willing to TRY to bring people back.

I would add that a few more hasteners would be nice

Oh I could list a lot of little things that would impact RvR absolutely 0%, but I am really confused with the staff here on Uth now.

It wasn't that long ago they were basically telling those of us that wanted the little things changed to play elsewhere, then suddenly (after most people left) they come out and say they feel that Uth needs some changes, and they implement a few things we have been asking for, but of course it was too late.

My point is, with only a few other little things that I personally think most people would enjoy (account vault specifically but there are others) I would bet they would get a decent chunk of population back. Right now when I log on I see an average of 40-50 people playing, and with just a few little things I am guessing they could double or triple that real easy.

I would be happy to list things I would love to see added, but it would bring the retribution of DAoC purists that want an exact classical replica down on me as has already happened earlier in the thread. =)

Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Nov 17, 2019 23:59

A solo/small scene on Uth would be amazing...

I wonder if using IRC to just say, "Anybody out?" Would help...I see people in the IRC, but nobody ever says anything...

I feel bad that in all the time I camp mile gates, that I missed your BM :( When do you play?

R-click on Glasny and when it's 1min to port, go grab hastener in DL and go back to pad...hastener in TK would be nice...but it's a fairly easy work-around.
Bonz - Arran - Masticore - Rhakan

Alb Morgan le Fay: Bonzki
Hib Merlin: Grahmdal

albeyond
Gryphon Knight

Postby albeyond » Nov 18, 2019 12:40

Grahmdal wrote:A solo/small scene on Uth would be amazing...

I wonder if using IRC to just say, "Anybody out?" Would help...I see people in the IRC, but nobody ever says anything...

I feel bad that in all the time I camp mile gates, that I missed your BM :( When do you play?

R-click on Glasny and when it's 1min to port, go grab hastener in DL and go back to pad...hastener in TK would be nice...but it's a fairly easy work-around.

I don't play Uthgard regularly because I don't want to have to do "work arounds" to enjoy my 2 hours of game time that I get a few nights a week.

kinthos
Gryphon Knight

Postby kinthos » Nov 18, 2019 17:31

- Account Vault
- Hasteners at all PK/RK/BK and/or Player RvR Horses (like Uth v1!)
- Healers at all PK/BK
- Reduce RPs for keeps (or remove them)
- RvR mission for solo/groups
- RvR Events
- *Further* Increased RP zones

tata
- Inqy/Spymistress/Sly -
GM of "eXPedient demise" | Slave of "Crows of Winter"

Kriko
Warder

Postby Kriko » Nov 18, 2019 23:34

the only thing that can be done is wipe server, take a few months break, relaunch with SI and the already mentioned QoL changes(but not a custom garbage server like the bird freeshard)

it's maybe gonna be painful for the 50 players left on uthgard, but this way you will have 4k players again at the beginning and then, after a couple of years, a fixed 1.5k playerbase.

jeaf
Myrmidon

Postby jeaf » Nov 18, 2019 23:48

Kriko wrote:the only thing that can be done is wipe server, take a few months break, relaunch with SI and the already mentioned QoL changes(but not a custom garbage server like the bird freeshard)

it's maybe gonna be painful for the 50 players left on uthgard, but this way you will have 4k players again at the beginning and then, after a couple of years, a fixed 1.5k playerbase.

A lot of non-playing people have lev 50 character ready to play if only they want. Wiping won't help, they did it once already and look at the server now... they have even less people than uth1 before the wipe.

Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Nov 19, 2019 00:32

I'd imagine a lot of folks playing here, or thinking about playing here, are sort of just waiting to see how RvR missions go...hopefully they come soon.

Until then, it'd be great if the active players tried to build a solo/small scene...all it would take is a handful of players to run through the bonus zone before or after the daily keep raids start...

Quik
Myrmidon

Postby Quik » Nov 19, 2019 00:53

jeaf wrote:
Kriko wrote:the only thing that can be done is wipe server, take a few months break, relaunch with SI and the already mentioned QoL changes(but not a custom garbage server like the bird freeshard)

A lot of non-playing people have lev 50 character ready to play if only they want. Wiping won't help, they did it once already and look at the server now... they have even less people than uth1 before the wipe.

Yeah I don't think a wipe is the answer and it would be unfair to those who have played since launch, but I do think the QoL changes would be a HUGE step in the right direction and I believe it would also bring a lot of people back from Pheonix since a lot of people don't like the amount of changes, but they do love the simple QoL changes.

albeyond
Gryphon Knight

Postby albeyond » Nov 19, 2019 03:23

Grahmdal wrote:I'd imagine a lot of folks playing here, or thinking about playing here, are sort of just waiting to see how RvR missions go...hopefully they come soon.

Until then, it'd be great if the active players tried to build a solo/small scene...all it would take is a handful of players to run through the bonus zone before or after the daily keep raids start...

I am going to be honest and polite as I can.. I play on the bird server, nobody is coming back here when RvR missions go in. Everybody has voiced their frustration and short of a wipe + QOL/SI as suggested above, nothing will change with these incremental changes. I wish I was wrong bc I prefer uthgard, personally

Warjon
Gryphon Knight

Postby Warjon » Nov 19, 2019 07:23

The new server isn't DAOC as anyone knows it pre 50. Turned off many too.

Here it was just some small QOL to get to 50.

Sigh I just dreamed of something between the 2 servers. Doubt I was the only one of the thousands who came back. /shrug

Kriko
Warder

Postby Kriko » Nov 19, 2019 13:11

jeaf wrote:

wiping won't help? lol jesus people are actually blind

when they closed down uthgard 1, the server had 100 players or so online

then they opened uthgard 2, the server had 4.000 concurrent players for a few months, and then it settled down to 1000-1500.

until phoenix came out. when phoenix came out, everyone left uthgard to go play there.

now everyone is rr11 on phoenix, they removed OF and did a bunch of nasty things.

IF UTHGARD RELAUNCHED, with the needed changes of course, basically everyone would come back to play here

how fkin hard is this to understand? lol

and even if they don't, it's still worth giving it a try. because uthgard2 is dead and nothing will bring back to life

thaneel
Myrmidon

Postby thaneel » Nov 19, 2019 14:24

What bother me more, is the feeling that there is nobody left on board to make these changes :(

Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Nov 19, 2019 16:26

albeyond wrote:
Grahmdal wrote:I'd imagine a lot of folks playing here, or thinking about playing here, are sort of just waiting to see how RvR missions go...hopefully they come soon.

I am going to be honest and polite as I can.. I play on the bird server, nobody is coming back here when RvR missions go in. Everybody has voiced their frustration and short of a wipe + QOL/SI as suggested above, nothing will change with these incremental changes. I wish I was wrong bc I prefer uthgard, personally

You miss understand me...I'm not saying RvR missions will pull anybody away from (server that must not be named)...

I'm saying there's a lot of people just taking a break from DAoC right now, who are uninspired with the available action on any server...and that RvR missions might bring much more dynamic action to Uth...and we might see some returning players interested in said action.

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Nov 19, 2019 21:51

Kriko wrote:
jeaf wrote:

wiping won't help? lol jesus people are actually blind

when they closed down uthgard 1, the server had 100 players or so online

then they opened uthgard 2, the server had 4.000 concurrent players for a few months, and then it settled down to 1000-1500.

until phoenix came out. when phoenix came out, everyone left uthgard to go play there.

now everyone is rr11 on phoenix, they removed OF and did a bunch of nasty things.

IF UTHGARD RELAUNCHED, with the needed changes of course, basically everyone would come back to play here

how fkin hard is this to understand? lol

and even if they don't, it's still worth giving it a try. because uthgard2 is dead and nothing will bring back to life

Nope. You have no clue what you're talking about and you don't speak from experience. Literally ALL people who wanted the wipe of uth1 and thought their biggest problem were high RRs were not able to compete on uth2 and same people got to high rank again. This game is not for everyone and constant wiping is idiotic. I know many players who joined uth1 as late as 2012. or 2013. and were competitive in RvR after a few months, even with new RAs where high RR groups actually had RAs to dump to win the fight.

In my experience, with each wipe/reboot a small portion of loyal players and people who take DAOC for what it is say the hell with it and are tired of their effort being wiped every time just because some crybaby doesn't want to invest time and effort to learn how to play and compete. We lose those players for good and the short term population spike quickly fades away. The 4-5k number is totally unrealistic, majority of those people revisited for nostalgia but aren't really cut out for this game and it does need to be noted there was a significant amount of dual-logged people there as well. The loyal/stable/whatever free shard population is always about the same after the reboot/launch hype of a certain server calms down, but with each reboot you lose a small portion of those people for the reasons I've stated.

People need to learn to take DAOC for what it is. It ain't the hardest game in the world and everyone would have lot more fun if they just tried to learn how to play one class properly, instead of crying on the forum the first time they die and blaming high RRs or overpowered RAs. Same goes for the "oh I would love to RvR but the XP is just too hard"...lol, 99% of the people who HATED pve and xping more than anything in life had no problem getting 1-2 chars to 50 on uth1 where xp was like 4x slower. If you really want to RvR and enjoy the game, you'll embrace the grind and have fun along the way. People need to ask the same question of 10 different people and then figure out the best way to do something, they need to learn to challenge themselves and listen to the group leader and play to the best of their ability. If they did that, they'd soon realize that the so-called "elitists" are for the most part just people with zero tolerance for stupidity and arrogance of people who refuse to learn, but have no problem with someone who's trying to do the right thing (even if they lack the reflexes to do it super fast and if it takes them a while to get the hang of it all). Anything earned without any real effort quickly gets boring, and the easiest thing in the world is to react emotionally and blame everyone else for your problems, like many players do. Meanwhile, most of these people never tried to learn, they still keyboard turn, can't accept any kind of advice or constructive criticism, but you have to listen to their rants how they got married via DAOC and how they've been playing for 15 years.

I'm ok either way, at this point it would be fun to watch the server getting wiped 17 more times, and they'd still be people asking for the 18th wipe, thinking everything is going to be great after that.
It is what it is.

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics