Lower population makes a stronger sense of community

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Rendiviel
Gryphon Knight

Postby Rendiviel » Aug 12, 2019 15:51

Heya Uthgard friends! I've been playing a lot more recently, and I find myself enjoying the state of the game more now than when we had a population of over 1000. With less than 100 regular players, everyone is forced to helping out everyone else more. Some things I've noticed:

Groups are no longer excluding people. Regardless of class, if you're in the level range, you are getting an invite. Last night we had a group going to Cursed Tomb and we all gained 4 levels, including having 2 bonedancers with us. It's just more fun having more people.

Players help you out more. Any time you see a new player, you'll usually find a shaman buffing them to get to 5 faster and you'll also usually get some decent starting cash. I passed a new player 20g, only to find out I was the 3rd player to do so. Everyone seeing new players attempted to retain those new players.

The main alliance if functioning more like a guild. With no guild boasting 8 active RVR toons, we are seeking more and more alliance mates to fill the roles. We have been connecting with more of our alliance friends in both PVE and RVR.

Crafters are more generous handing out gear. I myself often hand out misc. armor and weapons to players I see, never really asking for return in income. The sense of community is more driven by the lower population, to the point where we want everyone to be effective. Giving a few gold to make a person enjoy their class more is the goal for players who do this, and it seems to be effective.

The urge to level your crafters is increased due to the lack of them around. I have pushed my spellcrafter to 900 and will be going for LGM just so we have a spellcrafter at our disposal. So many tradeskills are getting close to 1000 and the drive to get there is so that we can help out more Midgard players.

Rant over, just wanted to say that I'm enjoying the game more now that people rely on each other much more.

Zetetic
Gryphon Knight

Postby Zetetic » Aug 13, 2019 07:12

Glad I am not the only one that feels this way. I am generally a die-hard lone-wolf these days, but I can see it in others.

Nice rant :)

Kriko
Warder

Postby Kriko » Aug 16, 2019 00:29

yea i guess everyone enjoys playing on a server with 20 ppl when there should be at least 1k

Rendiviel
Gryphon Knight

Postby Rendiviel » Aug 16, 2019 13:44

Kriko wrote:yea i guess everyone enjoys playing on a server with 20 ppl when there should be at least 1k

You do that 1 player at a time. Maybe if you weren't so defeatist, you'd actually dedicate some time to trying to rebuild what we can instead of mocking what's left.

Return to General Topics