A question for the Developers....

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
RandomNoob
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 90
Joined: May 31, 2018 03:17

Postby RandomNoob » Aug 08, 2019 08:08

Would one of you mind explaining to me the rationale/justification behind clipping every (as far as I know) other class in the game to level 40-42 pets, yet allowing Sorcerers and Minstrels to charm level 50 mobs. The first part is somewhat understandable for balance/gameplay issues, but why the inequity where two albion classes, two of the stronger classes in the game, are allowed to roll with level 50 pets? Thank you in advance for your reply.

User avatar
Abydos
Game Master
Game Master
 
Posts: 6660
Joined: Jan 22, 2011 21:14

Postby Abydos » Aug 08, 2019 09:38

That's how the game was made...

It gives variety and uniqueness. Each has a plus and a minus associated.


Summoned pets are always available. If they die or are lost you can resummon

RandomNoob
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 90
Joined: May 31, 2018 03:17

Postby RandomNoob » Aug 08, 2019 11:41

Abydos wrote:That's how the game was made...

It gives variety and uniqueness. Each has a plus and a minus associated.


Summoned pets are always available. If they die or are lost you can resummon


Abydos, your reply is somewhat vague. Certainly anyone with a brain is aware of the fact that not every realm was created even steven; Mythic, Jacobs et al designed the realm of Albion to be the 'heroes' of the game and this fact is self evident in a number of areas. But from your comment, I assume you are saying that per 1.65 patch, all pet classes were capped at 40-42 (80% of level whatever) and sorcerer/minstrel were allowed level 50 pets and this was all the work of Mythic? Not the result of any changes or alterations made by the Uthgard team? Is that what you are saying?

User avatar
pweet
Lion Knight
 
Posts: 4240
Joined: Dec 22, 2010 14:07

Postby pweet » Aug 08, 2019 12:44

RandomNoob wrote:
Abydos wrote:That's how the game was made...

It gives variety and uniqueness. Each has a plus and a minus associated.


Summoned pets are always available. If they die or are lost you can resummon


Abydos, your reply is somewhat vague. Certainly anyone with a brain is aware of the fact that not every realm was created even steven; Mythic, Jacobs et al designed the realm of Albion to be the 'heroes' of the game and this fact is self evident in a number of areas. But from your comment, I assume you are saying that per 1.65 patch, all pet classes were capped at 40-42 (80% of level whatever) and sorcerer/minstrel were allowed level 50 pets and this was all the work of Mythic? Not the result of any changes or alterations made by the Uthgard team? Is that what you are saying?

You have quite an aggressive tone for such a basic question. yes it's all mythic/Marc jobs who have done it and it was kept till current live.

Cirath
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Jul 19, 2017 00:11

Postby Cirath » Aug 08, 2019 14:30

This is also incorrect. My chanters summoned pets are 44, and mentalists can charm pets over 50.....although they usually don't. Minstrels are on a whole other level obviously, but thats minstrels. They are silly in alot of ways.

Galandriel4
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Dec 29, 2017 15:48

Postby Galandriel4 » Aug 08, 2019 18:53

seems like a moron didnt get the answer he wanted to get :D

User avatar
Abydos
Game Master
Game Master
 
Posts: 6660
Joined: Jan 22, 2011 21:14

Postby Abydos » Aug 08, 2019 20:42

It wasn't all Mark Jacobs - but he did have a big influence. The original dev team had a belief that was fairly widely held among them that they wanted classes and realms to be asymmetric. You can see this reflected in interviews with the original team members who have moved on (look up interviews with Copper when they were designing ESO)

Rendiviel
Gryphon Knight
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Sep 21, 2012 05:45

Postby Rendiviel » Aug 08, 2019 22:10

Abydos wrote:It wasn't all Mark Jacobs - but he did have a big influence. The original dev team had a belief that was fairly widely held among them that they wanted classes and realms to be asymmetric. You can see this reflected in interviews with the original team members who have moved on (look up interviews with Copper when they were designing ESO)

That's one of the reasons I enjoyed DAoC. No realm gets everything, unlike modern MMOs. Want to be melee heavy? Play Midgard so you can make usage of celerity. Want to play a caster with nearsight and disease? Hibernia has it. Want a buffer/DPS caster hybrid? Play a shaman. There is so much variety built into the game that every realm feels unique. I could start fresh on Albion and feel like I'm playing a completely different game. There are strengths and weaknesses in everything, and there is no way to be truly balanced. The only choice is to weigh the pros and cons of what you enjoy about each class, realm, and realm abilities to decide what role you enjoy the most. While I'd enjoy the phasing out of necessary group roles, it's also fun to recognize that the community is closer by embracing the need for individual classes. The Rock, Paper, Scissors dynamic has and always will be fun to me, regardless of whether or not I'm winning or losing.

RandomNoob
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 90
Joined: May 31, 2018 03:17

Postby RandomNoob » Aug 09, 2019 14:35

Galandriel4 wrote:seems like a moron didnt get the answer he wanted to get :D


Probability indicates that I reside at a more lofty location upon the bell curve than you. A delicate flower had their tender SJW feelings hurt by my 'aggressive tone'. If my tone was aggressive its because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need devs to answer my question fast. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Answer my f***kin question so we can move on to the next thread where someone waxes delusional about restoring 2k pop or some bird refugee pops in chirping about account vaults or some other nonsense. Trying to guess when and where Valfar will jump in and wreck the ongoing thread(s) with the exact same wall of text is a favorite pastime of mine so please carry on with your regularly scheduled programming.

So thank you Abydos for the answer. I am skeptical of the reply, specifically in relation to the hunter charm being clipped down from 50, but lacking knowledge to the contrary I must accept your answer at face at this time.

User avatar
Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight
 
Posts: 337
Joined: May 03, 2017 08:05

Postby Grahmdal » Aug 09, 2019 16:14

I think the original design of "pet classes" vs. "charm classes" revolves around additional utility beyond the pet. Simply, "pet classes" have additional utility geared towards having a pet (buffs & heals for the pet...even Det4) as well as good utility pets (stun, chain snare nuke, intercept, disease, lifetap etc...they're a far better pet than the simple level 50 "granny").

So, they're slightly toned down in general by summoning at 88% of caster level....or 75% in the case of natty druids...which basically dictates their hit rate vs. a level 50 player, and how much extra damage they take (particularly magic dmg).

Mythic valued a "yellow pet" for a "pet class" very high...only showing up as a 14 pt. RA that gives a level 50 pet for a cabalist for 4 minutes every half hour.

Some of the most sought after "charm pets" are between level 40-46 anyway....once again sought after for their abilities...empyrean elder, iso cleric, fenrir prophet...and those are pets that folks will travel a long ways for.

Anyway....here's a level 44 caba pet hitting a level 50 ranger (So please tell me it should be yellow con to hit for more!):
Untitled2.jpg
Image

Galandriel4
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Dec 29, 2017 15:48

Postby Galandriel4 » Aug 09, 2019 17:07

RandomNoob wrote:Probability indicates that I reside at a more lofty location upon the bell curve than you.


dunning kruger triggered at its finest :lol:

Cirath
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Jul 19, 2017 00:11

Postby Cirath » Aug 10, 2019 01:38

RandomNoob wrote: If my tone was aggressive its because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need devs to answer my question fast. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Answer my f***kin question so we can move on


lawl. Someone claiming their time is important when complaining about customer service speed on a 20 yr old mmorpg freeshard. Carry on.

User avatar
Satiah
Eagle Knight
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Jun 30, 2012 15:14

Postby Satiah » Aug 10, 2019 06:09

Chill, It's a Pulp Fiction reference from mr. Wolf.
Satiah | Tuthmes | Dendera | Khufu | Nefertete | Dahshur | Nebetah | Neterbaiu

User avatar
pweet
Lion Knight
 
Posts: 4240
Joined: Dec 22, 2010 14:07

Postby pweet » Aug 10, 2019 10:01

RandomNoob wrote:So thank you Abydos for the answer. I am skeptical of the reply, specifically in relation to the hunter charm being clipped down from 50, but lacking knowledge to the contrary I must accept your answer at face at this time.

Stop claiming other ppl have lacking knowledge if it's clearly yourself. Hunter pets live like to 1.65 here.
So I'm not sure which lofty position that is with your daoc knowledge ;)

User avatar
Jerrian
Phoenix Knight
 
Posts: 1411
Joined: Jan 21, 2010 01:00

Postby Jerrian » Aug 10, 2019 13:34

Image

Next

Return to General Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests

Friday, 28. February 2020

Artwork and screen shots Copyright © 2001-2004 Mythic Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. Used with permission of Mythic Entertainment. Mythic Entertainment, the Mythic Entertainment logo, "Dark Age of Camelot," "Shrouded Isles," "Foundations," "New Frontiers," "Trials of Atlantis," "Catacombs," "Darkness Rising," the Dark Age of Camelot and subsequent logos, and the stylized Celtic knot are trademarks of Mythic Entertainment, Inc.

Valid XHTML & CSS | Original Design by: LernVid.com | Modified by Uthgard Staff