Thinking about returning? read here!

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Jun 15, 2019 22:25

Valfar wrote:... we'll see the same old whining again. High realm ranks, overpowered classes etc...

I'd like at least a 10 page thread of mid QQ about hibs & albs having charges now...maybe by the holidays? :hammer:
Bonz - Arran - Masticore - Rhakan

Alb Morgan le Fay: Bonzki
Hib Merlin: Grahmdal

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Jun 15, 2019 22:32

Grahmdal wrote:
Valfar wrote:... we'll see the same old whining again. High realm ranks, overpowered classes etc...

I'd like at least a 10 page thread of mid QQ about hibs & albs having charges now...maybe by the holidays? :hammer:

Tbh they should have had those charges from the beginning. I've been telling Blue and Abydos this since 2012., you can't just blindly replicate a certain patch level without taking into account that people have changed and that the game itself was perhaps flawed during those times...and that's a vast oversimplification, I'm sure I've ranted before about it. I just think old RAs + this patch level are bad for anyone who actually knows anything about daoc and wants to play the game. Overpowered and dumb 30 min re-use abilities on top of the fact that the nature of the patch level and old RAs severely limits the diversity of the setups you can run and even in solo RvR most people just go for an assassin, minstrel or skald.

Anyway, it is what it is. I'd like to point out once again that I had you in my Wildfire deck back in the day :D.
It is what it is.

Cirath
Gryphon Knight

Postby Cirath » Jun 16, 2019 00:42

I think we all need to stop pretending this is some major league sport or something that actually matters. If it's fun, it's fun. I have more fun on Uth still than I did on the other server, which is why I am back. Just relax and enjoy the ride. Best thing about the other server is that alot of the biggest derps from Uth jumped ship. I thank them for that.

Jerrian
Phoenix Knight

Postby Jerrian » Jun 16, 2019 10:55

fremster wrote:
Nerthos wrote:Great changes, isn't it ironic that Uthgard now has the settings everyone who favored the other freeshard wished for, and the other freeshard is more live-like and alienating and loosing players with every new massiv change.
Not that we didn't see that coming from the very beginning :-P

@Fremster thanks for the summit, some (older) core changes you should add is det for hybrids and XP grp bonus

Oh and one of the biggest changes that have the most impact for me personally is that all the morons left the server and the forum.

The other server was always going to fail, it was just a matter of time.
The problem now is that players don't want to return to an empty server. We need to core player base back before the casuals will log on.

Imho Uth still lacking content but it seems things go in the right direction.
Haven ´t played daoc for months, when Uthgard launches SI, I will consider to play here again. Maybe some former players might feel the same. The other server has it pros and cons like Uthgard. As I like some customization and QOL changes, I feel they made some big mistakes or better said bad decissions in their rvr setup, but that ´s just my personal view.

albeyond
Gryphon Knight

Postby albeyond » Jun 17, 2019 02:34

Cirath wrote:I think we all need to stop pretending this is some major league sport or something that actually matters. If it's fun, it's fun. I have more fun on Uth still than I did on the other server, which is why I am back. Just relax and enjoy the ride. Best thing about the other server is that alot of the biggest derps from Uth jumped ship. I thank them for that.

How come you have more fun here playing with ~15 people at NA time than on the other server with 800-900? I want to understand

Excalibur93
Myrmidon

Postby Excalibur93 » Jun 17, 2019 11:11

albeyond wrote:How come you have more fun here playing with ~15 people at NA time than on the other server with 800-900? I want to understand

Hello,

even if this question was not for me, I will try to explain to you what my motivations are:

1. Loyalty. Whether in a game, a friendship or in a relationship: I do not run away immediately when there are problems, but try to solve them, to be patient and to assist the one, for which I once decided

2. Gratitude: Uthgard has given me a lot over the years and my loyalty is the least I can give back. Any player (including me) who stays here will support Uthgard's long-term existence

3. Long-term thinking: Based on my experience, I am convinced that the other server, just like some before it, will not last forever. Uthgard, on the other hand, has been - with a break - in existence for a very long time. I'm just counting on Uthgard being the right "horse" in the long term, so I bet on it

4. My personal preferences: I do not like constant change and I like DAoC because it is not too easy and you have to invest time and effort to achieve something. For example, when I read in the forum of the other server, how many changes there are and how easy it has become there and I see how little that has anything to do with DAoC, then I just do not feel the slightest attraction to play there.

Greettings
Excalibur93
Belgarius Paladin Lvl 50
Beldar Cleric Lvl 50
Bevier Friar Lvl 50
Thyrian Wizard Lvl 50
Beldien Theurg Lvl 50
Belmakos Sorcerer Lvl 50
Kalten Scout Lvl 50
Belgaren Infiltrator Lvl 50
Platime Reaver Lvl 34
Belardion Necromancer Lvl 50
Beldaran Mincer Lvl 50
Beldurnik Armsman Lvl 50
Belodur Mercenary Lvl 50
Belordion Cabalist Lvl 50

albeyond
Gryphon Knight

Postby albeyond » Jun 17, 2019 12:27

Excalibur93 wrote:
albeyond wrote:How come you have more fun here playing with ~15 people at NA time than on the other server with 800-900? I want to understand

Hello,

even if this question was not for me, I will try to explain to you what my motivations are:

1. Loyalty. Whether in a game, a friendship or in a relationship: I do not run away immediately when there are problems, but try to solve them, to be patient and to assist the one, for which I once decided

2. Gratitude: Uthgard has given me a lot over the years and my loyalty is the least I can give back. Any player (including me) who stays here will support Uthgard's long-term existence

3. Long-term thinking: Based on my experience, I am convinced that the other server, just like some before it, will not last forever. Uthgard, on the other hand, has been - with a break - in existence for a very long time. I'm just counting on Uthgard being the right "horse" in the long term, so I bet on it

4. My personal preferences: I do not like constant change and I like DAoC because it is not too easy and you have to invest time and effort to achieve something. For example, when I read in the forum of the other server, how many changes there are and how easy it has become there and I see how little that has anything to do with DAoC, then I just do not feel the slightest attraction to play there.

Greettings
Excalibur93

So how do you think Uthgard brings players back? Even if the other server slowly withers away as summer progresses and classic WOW comes out, at what point (and for what reason) do ex-Uthgard players come back here to test things out again? It's hard to support organized and consistent RvR with the low numbers. I think that needs to be addressed in a "come back to Uthgard" campaign

Nerthos
Warder

Postby Nerthos » Jun 17, 2019 18:20

albeyond wrote:
Excalibur93 wrote:

Hello,

Greettings
Excalibur93

So how do you think Uthgard brings players back? Even if the other server slowly withers away as summer progresses and classic WOW comes out, at what point (and for what reason) do ex-Uthgard players come back here to test things out again? It's hard to support organized and consistent RvR with the low numbers. I think that needs to be addressed in a "come back to Uthgard" campaign

Because wow classic cant be compared to daoc, because rvr tasks will come soon, because dedicated 8v8 players (like our guild gpa) will come back and attract back other 8mans who want to enjoy stable balanced settings again.

Just take it easy enjoy summer and see you soon
Kabalix/Sunna

fremster
Eagle Knight

Postby fremster » Jun 17, 2019 19:30

Excalibur93 wrote:

Hello,

Greettings
Excalibur93

Any most importantly (for me). Quality over quantity.

In the months up until Phoenix released, we (Grand pug of albion group) had some amazing fights from all aspects of the game. One of the good things about DAOC is the server only needs 3-400 people to feel alive. 100 people in rvr gives a good balance and variety of fights. Sometimes we would roam all evening for only 1-2 fights versus Flump group, but i can still remember what happened because it was fairly epic.

Too many people in RvR can turn the game sour. Too many people in RvR with quests (e.g. capture Pennine flag) just turns people into RP whores.

albeyond
Gryphon Knight

Postby albeyond » Jun 18, 2019 12:33

fremster wrote:
Excalibur93 wrote:

Hello,

Greettings
Excalibur93

Any most importantly (for me). Quality over quantity.

In the months up until Phoenix released, we (Grand pug of albion group) had some amazing fights from all aspects of the game. One of the good things about DAOC is the server only needs 3-400 people to feel alive. 100 people in rvr gives a good balance and variety of fights. Sometimes we would roam all evening for only 1-2 fights versus Flump group, but i can still remember what happened because it was fairly epic.

Too many people in RvR can turn the game sour. Too many people in RvR with quests (e.g. capture Pennine flag) just turns people into RP whores.

I think is where the majority of daoc-shard players would disagree with you, though. Only getting 2 fights per night won't satisfy most peoples itch to RvR in their spare time when they could be with family, friends, etc., in real life. Uthgard 1.0 was the best balance of RvR for me, when the server regularly had 600-800 people in the 2009-2010 time. That was when everybody was in RvR, respecting fights, and you could still play with enough people to have a materially good time in the game.

IamKaia
Myrmidon

Postby IamKaia » Jun 27, 2019 20:05

Hi all,

daoc vet freshly arrived from the other freeshard that thought it was cool to force me to play NF recently...

Created a toon on Hib
/whisper me at Eustachio (enchanter)

I had a toon before the second launch on midgard here (berzerker called Haddrade)

If anyone can point me to a somewhat active guild with nice people i can play with ;)

cya around

edit: also, completely new and unfamiliar with Hibernia zones, feel free to help :D

Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Jun 28, 2019 00:41

IamKaia wrote:Hi all,

daoc vet freshly arrived from the other freeshard that thought it was cool to force me to play NF recently...

Created a toon on Hib
/whisper me at Eustachio (enchanter)

I had a toon before the second launch on midgard here (berzerker called Haddrade)

If anyone can point me to a somewhat active guild with nice people i can play with ;)

cya around

edit: also, completely new and unfamiliar with Hibernia zones, feel free to help :D

Welcome back.

I was in hib a while ago....I'd say check out Mortus Operandi/Solum Contego for guilds.

Actually, you bring up a great point...I think the players could help new/returning players a lot by posting leveling guides, and offering to make free potions too.

Chanter is my favorite hib class =) I found it easy to go light spec to 40, then switch to mana. I just did tasks to 20 (with the xp boost to tasks & quests, the tasks do a whole level on their own....no farming needed)

1-11 Mag Mell, find the named guard and /whisper task
12-18 Named guard at the tower in SE Valley of Bri Leigh
19 & 20 Named guard in Innin Carthaig (she roams a bit in town)

20 The tree camp North(ish) of TNN in Connact
21-23 The same tree mobs, but outside DL off to the left of the trail

I should say, there were also some changes to pets & xp...so the snare nuke pet does heat dmg, and you can usually nuke once and kite while the pet nukes...and you get I think 70% xp of the pets dmg...it's pretty quick xp.

23-26ish The ants & grey sprectres right outside DL off to the right (watch out for that 1 amadan touched!)

26-33ish The clumps of mobs with squabblers, fee lions, roan steppers, mad changlings etc. Try to focus on fee lions, they drop a lot of tier 5 metal.

(it makes sense IMO, to level up tailoring to 500 at least, and metal working too, I was able to get tailoring and metal to 700+ from killing fee lions)

34-36(if you can) The arachites in thidranki...nuke down the oppungar and run...now the str/con buff is gone from his 3-4 lackys, and they go down really quick. It's a neat way to get a group bonus as a solo...35 & 36 go pretty quick in there!

37-40.499999 Grovewoods outside of DC or West of Scaith (keep bonus) They go down so easy with heat nukes

Now you have to respec to mana :( which is a bit lame....and I never really found good xp spots. The grovewoods work, but they are energy resistant...the only nice camp I found was west of Nged with Bocanachs....I always let the pet pull, then stun and pbae.

At 48, you get the big bomb spell, and some options open up...I like the bears behind Crimm...I was doing a bub every 20 mins there at 49.

Also at 48, if you have 800 metal working, you can easily commit Koalith Slinker genocide, and make a ton of money. I think they average over 6g a pop. Send the compatriot all around, then make a nice pile, and PBAE, + QC PBAE. Obviously you can farm them earlier...I think by 40 the companion can solo them easily...and make money earlier for a template....but it's way faster at 48+

Somebody should post a more thorough guide...the recent additions to xp loot probably help a lot. I think hib classes get 4.5 bubs of 49 with the items...pretty awesome.
Bonz - Arran - Masticore - Rhakan

Alb Morgan le Fay: Bonzki
Hib Merlin: Grahmdal

IamKaia
Myrmidon

Postby IamKaia » Jun 28, 2019 20:47

Tyvm for the pointers! And i must thank the kind soul who provided me with some starter gear :)

I will try and familiarize myself with hibernia, but might end up doing most of the lvling in the frontiers zones i know :D

I personally hope some players will move over because of the NF thing.. and I think that if Uthgard can launch SI, we can have a nice boost to pop ;)

Quick question: Any way to have the quest marker on NPC be a little bit more visible than it currently is (i.e: the tiny yellow circle at their feet)

Anomie
Myrmidon

Postby Anomie » Jun 29, 2019 07:08

Here's a spreadsheet i've found useful for quests. There have been some fixes to some of these, so i think the listing needs updating, but it does give a place to start if the yellow circles on the ground don't pop out at you quite how you'd like.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =796388312
[img]https://uthsig.000webhostapp.com/uthsig.php?myceliumrunning+animists+bawd+rearranger+cowarden+vitamix[/img]

IamKaia
Myrmidon

Postby IamKaia » Jun 29, 2019 11:16

Damn that is handy! Spreadsheets, my favourite :D

It's mildly funny, i was just stuck on the Straw quest not progressing.. :D

Thank you very much

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics