Idea for net neutral population gain

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Pompernick
Warder

Postby Pompernick » Jun 01, 2019 00:21

One time per account level 50 only class change with RR/tradeskill reset.

I have a RR6 druid but there are no groups and I can't build one being a druid. I want to trade to bard so I can lead groups even if it means I reset to RR1.

I'm sure others would come back to take advantage of this, maybe it would bump the population up.

For those of you that say level one.... simply no way. I have a life.

I'm sure the albs/mids would like to see a hib group out.

Worth a shot, flame on.

Plywood
Warder

Postby Plywood » Jun 01, 2019 00:45

I would not flame you, but will disagree. It really isn't that hard to get a character to 50 in this game. I got 3 more to 50 since the population collapse and 2 more getting close. If you just add an "Easy Button",then you take away from those who did it. And what happens when people don't like their new character and complain they miss their old one?

Plus, the game is already much easier to level... easy transportation, stackable potions, etc. If you already have the druid, you probably already have the infrastructure needed (house, friends, crafters, cash for armor,etc.). I bounce around between the three realms (using the timer). If you make the Bard please message me and i will try to help you level up the next time I am in Hib. Hib has always had a shortage of bards.

There is something to be said to work the character up and appreciate it, as opposed to just being dropped in.

Pompernick
Warder

Postby Pompernick » Jun 01, 2019 00:52

That is a very reasonable reply plywood.

I did level to 50, I simply want to trade so I can play the game. If it doesn't happen I'll just quit. I'm not leveling again. Punch me in the balls before I do that.

Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Jun 01, 2019 01:09

Hibernia was out rolling everyday recently...always had bard(s) but lots of druid shortages...I charged a lot of spec buffs in my time there.

This is a pretty radical thing to ask for though...I'd say try and make some mates in Hibernia and see how it goes...
Bonz - Arran - Masticore - Rhakan

Alb Morgan le Fay: Bonzki
Hib Merlin: Grahmdal

Pompernick
Warder

Postby Pompernick » Jun 01, 2019 01:19

Eh I don't expect it to happen but the times I play (NA) there are no groups running.

I already said I'm not leveling again. Even with the request granted the action would be pretty weak.

I just wanted to ask before I quit.

Plywood
Warder

Postby Plywood » Jun 01, 2019 01:23

Pompernick wrote:Eh I don't expect it to happen but the times I play (NA) there are no groups running.

I already said I'm not leveling again. Even with the request granted the action would be pretty weak.

I just wanted to ask before I quit.

I would be very surprised and disappointed if they implemented this idea. Building your characters is an integral part of the game.

Perhaps just take a break rather than quit? I left the game for 15 months and had a lot of fun when I came back.

Pompernick
Warder

Postby Pompernick » Jun 01, 2019 01:25

Dude leveling with no one to group with is not fun....

Why do you think there are 30 people left on the server....

Leveling on release when groups are easy to get is fun... and I did that. My request is let me try and have fun at the end of the game too. posting 7 LFG messages in a 3 hour period every night with nothing but 1-2 man gold farm groups responding is NOT FUN.

Skullbones
Myrmidon

Postby Skullbones » Jun 01, 2019 12:44

I like the idea. I'd take it a step further. One time option per account. One character of any level. Transfers the chosen character's level to the same level of any class of the same realm. Realm rank is reset. If the character levels 5 times post-update, it can no longer be changed. I suppose you could argue for the ability to change the character to a different realm as well. I would vote no for multiple reasons.

Additionally... In Asheron's Call they would rarely reset people's ability to respec their character. It was usually from random mile stones ('x' year anniversary) or as an apology to the community.

I would say give every existing character 2 skill respecs and 2 ra respecs automatically at their trainer. People that return would be able to try a new skill build while being able to go back back to their old one if they want. Or to fix their horrible build that they quit the character on.

Start stacking up incentives for people to consider coming back. And I agree the xp rate is quite terrible. Sure it worked alright with a high population, but we are far beyond that.
Last edited by Skullbones on Jun 02, 2019 00:26, edited 1 time in total.

Gilded
Myrmidon

Postby Gilded » Jun 01, 2019 21:27

I'm not sure what time-zone you (OP) play in, but as a NA player, and checking the Herald, Druids hardly have any rp's the past week and month.

Sadly, a Druid is the perfect toon to build and form a group with, but with population issues, I get where you are coming from and what you are saying.

There were a handful of NA Hibs recently playing but our small NA Alb group hasn't seen any of them the past 5 days which is concerning to say the least. Taking keeps gets boring obviously, and defenders or the odd open field fight are much needed.

Where have Trulicity/Lady/Bibi and the others gone /cry

I think it would be a shame to scrap your Druid but the game is all about fun and actually being able to do stuff. I hope you keep your Druid regardless and it would just great to see more Hibs (and Mids!) more active on the server.

Pompernick
Warder

Postby Pompernick » Jun 01, 2019 22:13

Eh well thanks for the replies, I don't expect this to happen.

That's why I made a druid is because I thought that needing 2 in every group I would get a group easy. Well if there are no bards online that want to play or have leadership skills than I'm just a protector of Druim Ligen.

I could careless about losing tradeskills or RR if I could actually play.

Plus the idea isn't only for me it's to steal players back from that other server.

kinthos
Gryphon Knight

Postby kinthos » Jun 02, 2019 09:50

I think this is a very good idea. It is a serious consideration to give up a toon for another. Afterall, you have to still consider re-doing template, learning the class, etc. (some people this is less of an issue if they have a nice setup in terms of cash and crafters and already know the traded class).

However, its certainly a fair trade with starting again realm rank. Yes this *could* be something to attract players back with too. Could be posted on the news page and would give returning and existing players a lot of options.

Also some give outs of stones too would be another incentive like Skully said too. Again with a nice news post.

The server has an excellent setup and although the XP rate isn't great - it's not terrible when you do get groups and more population is available. Certainly on Hib (don't know other realms currently), this would be tough. So boosting general XP in an event and posting about that too would be a 3rd thing that could be done. When/If population recovers, the group and other bonuses available would carry everyone through maybe.

These I beleve are the right kind of changes to attract players back. In summary:

1. Single character respec to different 50 (or whatever level obtained) at RR1l0.
2. A skill respec and 2 realm respecs per character
3. XP Bonus event for the summer?

Post it all on the news and re-iterate the new changes including new S/C charges for Alb + Hib and the new BG. (I still think that needs tweaks but I posted about that separately)
- Inqy/Spymistress/Sly -
GM of "eXPedient demise" | Slave of "Crows of Winter"

fremster
Eagle Knight

Postby fremster » Jun 03, 2019 20:44

I really dislike the idea of being able to switch class, even if it results in a rr1. Uthgard is about character development and experiences on the way. This idea belongs on the other servers forum (and would probably be implemented within a week).

Plywood
Warder

Postby Plywood » Jun 05, 2019 00:43

kinthos wrote:
These I beleve are the right kind of changes to attract players back.

Changing classes wouldn't attract anyone back and it wouldn't keep the OP in the game for more than a week longer. If he is set on leaving he will still leave. The vast majority of players that left the game had multiple level 50 characters already and had probably tried out all the classes that appealed to them. This isn't going to solve anything. However, it would serve to trivialize the game and game experience for many of the players who remained.

I think more likely it would be perceived as an act of desperation or a cheap gimmick. I really would be disappointed if this idea were implemented.

skullbone wrote: I would say give every existing character 2 skill respecs and 2 ra respecs automatically at their trainer.

This is not so unreasonable. Given the low population, only Alb is doing scheduled dragon raids last i heard. So, we do need to recognize that people may start to have trouble with respecs. But I would tweak your idea, Skull. instead of simply giving repsecs, perhaps instead have developers put respec stones for sale at the consignment vendor for what their market value was when raids were occurring regularly.

Note- I have not needed to respec lately, so am assuming folks are having trouble getting stones in Hib based on your suggestion. In Alb, a friend offered me one for free even though i didn't need one (so i declined). Likewise, in Mid I have not needed to respec so am not sure on availability..

Skullbones
Myrmidon

Postby Skullbones » Jun 05, 2019 02:43

I see your point. And fremster saying this would be something suggested on the other server that would get implemented quicky. It does cheapify the work it takes to get to 50 and the server credibility in general. And some classes take much longer to level, so I can also see the annoyance of having a high amount of easy lvled assassins popping up. Maybe a middle ground where it xfers the character level minus 10 or something. So if they were 50, they would still have to level 40-50 again. Although once again this does seem like a weird gimmick that could mess with server credibility. IDK, maybe it isn't a great idea, but good stuff to think about for trying to increase the near nothing population.

My point stands that there should be an increasing amount of reasonable incentives to help convince people to come back and play. Better xp has always been a big one. The recent fixes and patches are a great start.

As for the respec idea, I did notice respecs on hib were 4-5p+. I've had broke people in the past quit a character or think of fully remaking characters until I gave them a respec stone. For someone to be able to respec their character upon returning for no charge does sound like a good benefit with little downside.

Although the #1 thing I've seen make people quit (besides low RVR action) is the long grind that is level 35-50 (usually in their 40s). Would they have stayed? I don't know. But the current xp grind is not inviting at all for capturing a returning playerbase.
Last edited by Skullbones on Jun 05, 2019 06:29, edited 2 times in total.

Skullbones
Myrmidon

Postby Skullbones » Jun 05, 2019 06:10

And I was proposing there be no actual stone giving, but instead having the respecs already applied to each character (just like how each character gets 2 free RA respecs). For example when you type /respec and it says you have "x" full respecs available.

This way new stones do not flood the market. This stops someone who has 8 characters from receiving 8 sets of stones that they then give to their main or sell on the open market. Doing it this way just gives a small benefit to any returning or existing player.

In your example of having GMs list stones for an old price, rich people could buy up a huge amount of respec stones, thus not making dragon very worthwhile. You could however have it where you can buy respecs for your specific character from your trainer and the cost increases with each purchase. 1g, 100g, 3p, 5p, 10p or whatever money tier... I don't really like that, though.

But I think just saying, "Hey we are working to make things better. As a gift to the community, characters are gettingr 2 free respecs that are available at their trainer." I don't even think it is a huge benefit, it would be just one thing in a wide variety of incentives and improvements

Next

Return to General Topics