Shrouded Isles

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Izzt
Myrmidon

Postby Izzt » Jan 13, 2019 10:50

Is the Uthgard Staff already working on it ?

Is there any possabiltie for any informatiion about a Little ETA Chance ?

thx

Genjiro
Developer
Developer

Postby Genjiro » Jan 13, 2019 13:31

Working on it: Yes
ETA: not at the moment
News || Getting Started || Rules || Issue Tracker
Coloured text represents my personal opinion and is not associated with Uthgard Staff nor is it an official statement.

Gil
Alerion Knight

Postby Gil » Jan 13, 2019 14:12

Haven't you been working on it since 2011or so?

Are you willing to say if your are closer to being 100% complete or 10%?
Gil DaTroll - Merlin Zerker | MacDeath - Uth1 Armsman | Gil - Uth2 Zerker | Macdeath - Uth2 Armsman

fremster
Eagle Knight

Postby fremster » Jan 13, 2019 14:58

Gil wrote:Haven't you been working on it since 2011or so?

Are you willing to say if your are closer to being 100% complete or 10%?

I don't think you can ever say it is 100%... The classic zones are not 100%.
The question should be, at what % is it acceptable for it to be released, and how far off that % do you think you are.

Izzt
Myrmidon

Postby Izzt » Jan 13, 2019 15:36

I dont understand why u CANT say it takes 1-2 months or 1 Year....

It cant be that hard to give an answer like this..

Gil
Alerion Knight

Postby Gil » Jan 13, 2019 16:15

Izzt wrote:I dont understand why u CANT say it takes 1-2 months or 1 Year....

On an all volunteer project with an unpaid workforce it can be very hard to predict. All of these folks have real life jobs etc that come first. So even if you were VERY confident that it would 'ONLY' take 1000 hours to research and build a feature, you HAVE NO CLUE AS TO HOW MANY WORKERS WILL BE AVAILABLE for ANY hours.

And of course the estimates can be quite far off too, so I understand why they wouldn't care to predict.
Last edited by Gil on Jan 13, 2019 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
Gil DaTroll - Merlin Zerker | MacDeath - Uth1 Armsman | Gil - Uth2 Zerker | Macdeath - Uth2 Armsman

Izzt
Myrmidon

Postby Izzt » Jan 13, 2019 17:01

omg Gil.... this is nothing than mimimimi for the devs...

they know HOW far they are.. the working on it since 200X so Close to 10 years about...

Just an answer like , there ALOT more to do.... so weactually Need way more time like 1 year. or view months/weeks ....

is it rly that hard ?

ist the same for me at home... i Need to build the first floor, I KNOW if i would did more working on the first floor instead of playing DAOC i could be done since 1 Year..

I also know if i would spend 2 weeks full of time i could be done with it..

but i also know.. at my actuall Speed of working on it. i Need about 2 month more.

AND one Thing more. and my wife and Kids wont get it.. i DONT Need to fix the Bathroom on the first floor to live there..

and doors arent important to live upstairs.. ^^

ist the same for Si, if they just want to Launch it , when at least BASEBOARDS (Sockel oder Sesselleisten) are done..

Than ist to late for me to have a look on it.. becouse no one get all things done at his own house...

Just Little more informations would be great.. not the same like YEars..

Si ; working on it ? : YES

ETA : NO !!

thats nor fair.. also not fair to many ppl who reported issues, tested many things.....

and YES ofc i know.. iam not fine with it... i can leave it...

But at least many things changed here , also for the 1.65 Thing.. where Dev told us bevore thngs changed.. na.. those Things wont happen on this 1.65 Server.. but at least they did..

Chia
Warder

Postby Chia » Jan 13, 2019 17:24

Glad your not a dev then. SI without doors or bathrooms would be bad :lol:

Izzt
Myrmidon

Postby Izzt » Jan 13, 2019 17:42

if u got one at the groundfloor... the 2nd isnt that necesarry... but i guess ist not that hard to see the meaning behind it ?

Ociz
Warder

Postby Ociz » Jan 13, 2019 18:14

Gil wrote:
Izzt wrote:I dont understand why u CANT say it takes 1-2 months or 1 Year....

On an all volunteer project with an unpaid workforce it can be very hard to predict. All of these folks have real life jobs etc that come first. So even if you were VERY confident that it would 'ONLY' take 1000 hours to research and build a feature, you HAVE NO CLUE AS TO HOW MANY WORKERS WILL BE AVAILABLE for ANY hours.

And of course the estimates can be quite far off too, so I understand why they wouldn't care to predict.

Estimating is always difficult but gets easier once you know the material and what's involved. An estimated # hours and a volunteer dev pool of hours can be figured out. If the # of hours is to big for the number of volunteer hours, get more help.

I've applied to volunteer my time and I know of another person that would as well. We both have over 20 years of software dev experience. I haven't heard anything back, which is fine. Personally, I'd rather spend my free time playing but I drool at the fact the "other" server has 2k population and SI.

thaneel
Myrmidon

Postby thaneel » Jan 13, 2019 18:53

They may struggle with some mechanics they dont know how to deal with. We can remember the dragons were not 100% implemented so they had to disable them for a while. We can think of the SI dungeons encounters, and they dont want to make the same mistake again.

Moondragon1
Gryphon Knight

Postby Moondragon1 » Jan 13, 2019 23:15

Uthgard 1.0 was very successful for a very long time without SI being implemented. I understand the desire for the zones, but it really isn't a major factor in whether or not Uthgard 2.0 is a success.

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Jan 14, 2019 05:40

Moondragon1 wrote:Uthgard 1.0 was very successful for a very long time without SI being implemented. I understand the desire for the zones, but it really isn't a major factor in whether or not Uthgard 2.0 is a success.

You can't explain this to idiots. SI offers some PvE fun, but ultimately it's a PvP oriented game and you can only boost population short-term that way. I say it again, the biggest problem of uthg2 is the loss of many set groups and pugs, as well as many loyal solo players who only wanted 10 charge pots. Those were RvR active people who didn't whine on forum about slow xp(even though it was like 3-4x slower on uth1) or lack of SI, but they all quit forever after the wipe of a perfectly good server, because uth staff panicked and wiped it after genesis showed up. I do not care about the numbers uth2 had in the beginning or that the number that phoenix has now, most of those people are not cut out for daoc and they are just dipping their feet and will be gone soon. Those who stay will whine and whine and whine for the environment to adapt to their inability to play and ultimately quit anyway. Other type of population we have on uth2 and phoenix are 8v8 dudes who are well, basically just guys who want insta50, buffbots and so on and who will jump on any hype train.

All this catering to the absolute worst type of people has resulted in a slow loss of stable population, and well in general uth staff behavior as well contributed to that to a large degree. They're great at providing us with a service but they know absolutely nothing about human psychology and creating a balanced setting that doesn't affect the basics of the game too much. They either want to blindly copy some patch level and setting which sucked even back when the game was new and all the servers had 3k people online at any time, or they rigidly stick to their idiotic ideas which have failed many times in the past. It is what it is, if they had given us 10 charge pots on uth1 and if people didn't jump on the genesis hype train, we'd have SI by now and we'd still have RvR active people around, not just keep taking and inc avoiding scum.

It really isn't a game for everyone and if staff had listened to sensible people in the past, we'd have a server which makes you earn your characters but which also doesn't break your balls at every corner and you don't have unnecessary time sinks. Instead, we have what we have and I don't think they've learned anything. Sad part is, people running phoenix are even worse but the server is "fresh" so people think they're messiahs or something.
It is what it is.

Pao
Gryphon Knight

Postby Pao » Jan 14, 2019 12:27

Too late.

Now its the best to get SI running because who is left only care about PvE and the classic experiences.
That was the focus and still is the focus.

Many people try to explain that RvR is the main reason for people to play this old game but the focus was just different.
Hope GMs are fine with what they have stated, that they are fine with just 80 people (300ppl was Trishin Statement long time ago) playing the game under their vision.
Its important to leave this server running doesn't matter how low the numbers will be. The other servers can fail but Uthgard still will be there, thats Uthgards only chance.

Edit 19/09/21: Well Uthgards chance has come.

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Jan 14, 2019 17:45

Things change. I don't understand why people constantly either point out stuff for no real reason or even worse, cry like sissies because something is not great for a while or on a certain day. It's an old game, population is split between free shards. It was always like that and all these massive spikes of few thousand players never last long because majority of those people are not cut out for daoc and they get bored fast after getting owned or just spend some short time on a server for nostalgia and nothing else. Pretty much the same daoc addicts play all the time and that's about it. We'll see the situation in 3-4 months, who knows what might happen.
It is what it is.

Next

Return to General Topics