Are ppl happy?

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Nov 02, 2018 23:13

Moondragon1 wrote:I get it that people don't like the whining on the forums. But...when the server max population drops 90% from where it started, perhaps some of it was justified. If say the server population only dropped 25% or whatever, then the whining probably would be unjustified.

Perhaps you think people should have done more "constructive posts". We had the official suggestion thread that was pages upon pages, and promptly ignored.

One of you said the devs should make get to a point and and say that's it, we've done it. Well, they were at that point and it was if you don't like it, you can leave. They left, or were banned, or just got bored (insert all the reasons).

Then, at the end, you get the breakthrough. The dam finally cracked and changes were announced with the help of the player council. Don't worry, everything is on the table and changes are a comin! Reversal of fortunes right around the corner...and the sever remains at 300-400 max daily. Well, then it's bugs! Time to fix bugs that people wanted fixed...and the server population is 300-400. I think now we're at a logjam. What will it take? Is it impossible and thus the changes are actually making it worse? What to do, what to do.

I think now we have to wait for the official launch of, well, you know. And see what happens then. I wouldn't expect much until then, and I suspect it will be before year-end.

It is what it is. Old game and it's hard to get stable and loyal players to stick around and reroll everything again, that's why many are going for instant options like the other server. I've said this like 50 times, but I really think things won't get better that soon. The game is too old and where on uth1 you had people who had invested years into their characters and would certainly very actively play at least a few months a year, you now have horrible noobs and way too "elitist" 8v8 community of which 90% went to the other server because they just want instant action. Most of uth1's 8v8 guilds had no problem with zerg events or casual stuff, but those people are now gone.

Old RAs are simply not good and this patch level is idiotic if you want any kind of diversity or balance. And yeah, uthgard GMs(I suspect only a handful tbh) are weird in a way...they're super arrogant and refuse any kind of reasonable feature like 9 charge pots until competition shows up, then they pretend they wanted that all along. They are detached from DAOC reality and while I understand the fact that we should not customize too much and it's hard to tell whose ideas are the best, we should not also rigidly stick to a patch level and RA setting which works only if you have 3k people at all time and if the game is new. With our population and the fact that many players actually want some sort of challenge and don't live for keeps and relics, of course you will lose those players and you'll be left with horrible zergs who whine even though they have superior numbers and RAs.

It's very delusional to think SI will help to. SI will help draw some people back, but SI should only be used as "bait"(because long term you still don't become a better player or have more fun just because SI is here) to draw people and then on top of that give QoL and other stuff.

I honestly think staff should put a notice up with plans and vision for the server, admit their mistakes and also draw the line and tell the people that they can only do so much, but it's up to people to actually play the game and populate the server. More experienced players(both pve and rvr wise) should write some guides or at least answer questions in their alliances or on German/Italian etc. forums, because it's unbelievable how many noobs are floating around. They can't properly buff, they know nothing about their class or enemy classes, they all brag how they had a rr10 char on live and when they get wiped, they quit or whine on forum how other realms or classes are overpowered.

Some features I would suggest would be:

- New RAs + patch level we had on uthgard1 as the most important fix for long term balance and to make MANY more classes viable and fun for solo and in group

- Porters in main cities and key locations(we get them anyway with SI I guess)

- SI(eventually)

- Battlegrounds cap RR anywhere from 4L2 to 4L5

- Player kill tasks and guard tasks - these will help people to get some RPs during low population times and will also prevent them from having the low RR excuse, because they can certainly get the basics with the battleground cap + some guard tasks, or they can learn the hard way by fighting players and wiping, which in the long run is better anyway.

- Setting the relic bonus as something that's more a matter of prestige and fun, and not an almost game breaking feature like it is now. On top of that, any outpost bonuses should be completely removed in RvR and only affect XP. This crap might have been a good idea with 3k people online, but not really even then. It's not balanced with our population and the fact that many players are good and many are complete noobs to this day, even though they've been playing the game for decade and a half straight.

- Make relics harder to take and give us back the NF rams so more people need to be on the ram, keep/relic fights will be longer and more fun that way.

- Make reskins available for bounty points, but only up to a point so even a player that's rr11 or 12 can only get maybe 3 reskins total, assuming he or she got the huge majority of their RPS just fighting players, so maybe in reality 2 reskins total. So if people want reskins, they will have to fight players and there will still not be loads of reskins around. Also, they should not be tradeable - obviously. It would also not be too bad if players could buy respec stones/drop weapon lusters/stat respec stones(which should drop from the dragon too imo).

- Re-introduce Uthalis as event currency and as a reward for players who are helping with testing on live, but put a cap on how many you can win each event so one person can't buy thousands of them and get reskins easily.

- Blue seems to think the 7 min port is fine if too many people are in the frontiers, but he's detached from DAOC reality. However, it's his server so meeting us half-way with a 100 gold porter if you miss the port would be nice, like we had on uth1. It would probably help with inflation too in the long run.

- Reduce the realm switch timer to 30 mins or something so if on a certain day one realm is overpopulated, people can switch and actually get action. Many people don't have a day off just for gaming too often, so it would be nice. Now, this server is full of paranoid schizophrenics who think that their realm is infested with spies, but in these modern times you don't need to log on another realm to "spy", it's easily doable with whatsapp and discord because solo/8v8 "elitists" stick together and will give some info if needed. The info they give is really not that helpful or game breaking more often than not though. Any decent player doesn't really care about this anyway.

- Give Alb/Hib STRcon charges

- Allow people who are past rr11 to actually spend those points. Each point on that RR requires A LOT of RPS and doesn't change much, but at least it motivates them to play more.

I guess I had some other ideas too, but this would be a fine start :D.
It is what it is.

Roxxor
Gryphon Knight

Postby Roxxor » Nov 03, 2018 14:50

Nice points Valfar.
/signed too

Those who not learn from history are forced to repeat the history.
The sad thing is, the players are more engaged to save and optimize the server then staff is.

Make Uthgard great again

My dad built a Ultima Online server, the biggest german freeshard. After 7 years of running very succesfull running he stop to admin his server and give the leadership to another person.
Just a crazy idea so far...
Danke Uthgard für 10 Jahre
Sent: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:01 am
To: Roxxor

If you arent having fun just stop posting. No need to ****** post on the forum. Go outside and enjoy the sunshine.
------------------
I am posting here because i have no fun and tried to rescue Uthgard.
Finally i did it like half of staff, i gave up...

Galandriel4
Myrmidon

Postby Galandriel4 » Nov 03, 2018 14:56

ok so uthgard give sis admin to roxxors father who is great admin and he gives to roxxor who is new admin than

Muschen
Warder

Postby Muschen » Nov 03, 2018 15:27

Valfar wrote:
The "other server" will eventually fail because the people running it are at the very least idiots, they support cheating of various kinds and are making it into an instant arena battle environment and not DAOC. It's already full of arranged fights between set groups and pugs and that will get old very quick.

Best thing to do as any player who really wants to contribute and play as much as he or she can is to A) give reality checks to forum whiners and call them out on their bullshit all the time.

Yup.

Roxxor
Gryphon Knight

Postby Roxxor » Nov 03, 2018 15:29

Better not Gala, but thanks for your trustworthy suggestion.
I want to play and have nearly no IT skills.
But i like you think my suggestion is an option.
Danke Uthgard für 10 Jahre
Sent: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:01 am
To: Roxxor

If you arent having fun just stop posting. No need to ****** post on the forum. Go outside and enjoy the sunshine.
------------------
I am posting here because i have no fun and tried to rescue Uthgard.
Finally i did it like half of staff, i gave up...

Abydos
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Abydos » Nov 03, 2018 21:40

You keep writing things that make you sound as if you know what was in our minds, when in fact you simply perceive things one way and refuse to consider any alternative. I refer you to the old adage: You will catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

kinthos
Gryphon Knight

Postby kinthos » Nov 03, 2018 22:18

What Valfar said, I completely agree with. I've said a few of these things in other threads/posts. These changes don't muck around with the feel of the server or DAoC. Just helpful and nice balancing changes and that is all.
- Inqy/Spymistress/Sly -
GM of "eXPedient demise" | Slave of "Crows of Winter"

Nakja
Myrmidon

Postby Nakja » Nov 04, 2018 05:14

Valfar wrote:- Reduce the realm switch timer to 30 mins or something so if on a certain day one realm is overpopulated, people can switch and actually get action.

NO !
Gwyneth, Gwynefer, Naiba, Takhi, Gwyntreth, StarletKristina, Talvi, Mousebear

kinthos
Gryphon Knight

Postby kinthos » Nov 04, 2018 12:16

Nakja wrote:
Valfar wrote:- Reduce the realm switch timer to 30 mins or something so if on a certain day one realm is overpopulated, people can switch and actually get action.

NO !

I think if done with some controls, it would be okay and could be helpful.

E.g.

-> Not played in 24 hrs: Immediate switch
-> If played but switching to a struggling realm, 30 mins. (how to determine struggling realm? - LWRP/population or both?/keep status/relic status)
-> Otherwise, switch timer is 24 hrs.
- Inqy/Spymistress/Sly -
GM of "eXPedient demise" | Slave of "Crows of Winter"

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Nov 04, 2018 12:47

Abydos wrote:You keep writing things that make you sound as if you know what was in our minds, when in fact you simply perceive things one way and refuse to consider any alternative. I refer you to the old adage: You will catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Obviously, nobody is a mind reader and it's only opinions. However, if one has enough information about how certain events unfolded and if one knows how a certain individual or a group of individuals behaved when they were the only show around, and how that behavior changed when competition was only announced and not even fully materialized, we can at least make somewhat accurate assumptions when it comes to certain things. It is what it is, I really don't mind cause you're not obligated to provide me with this service and I'm not paying for it, but the fact is that there is a huge disconnect between the uthgard staff's ability to create a server and their ability to run it properly. After all, you wiped a perfectly fine server as soon as some competition showed up and promised stuff they could not deliver and then you invested years in giving us crappy keep/relic system, idiotic patch level and old RAs and still insisted on 1 charge pots and similar nonsense. Who knows, maybe you had the best intention but a certain detachment from DAOC reality exists there, at least with people who call the shots.
It is what it is.

Kazvall
Myrmidon

Postby Kazvall » Nov 04, 2018 23:46

My personal belief is that Uthgard has always needed the SI expansion to remain popular or viable. That really is the peak daoc experience for many of us "pre-toa" players.

Daetren
Myrmidon

Postby Daetren » Nov 05, 2018 00:23

Live has no swap timer because there really shouldn't be one. Those who are loyal to the chars they make usually stay on them. This makes realm loyalty more of a special thing because you choose to stay not forced to.
First of my name, Boon of Midgard, Solous Shamanus, the relentless, King of Dodens and the first men, Breaker of mezzes, and Father of The Dream.

R.I.P
Uth1 - Ist Aid [Nomad Jarl]- 8L3 Kobby Shaman - 900+ REAL Solo Kills ~
Uth2 - Ist Aid [TEAM AMERICA]- 8L5 Kobby Shaman - 500+ REAL Solo Kills ~
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDaetr/videos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3fAbTMqYoTivisVB9 - Uth1 Album (Birth and Death of Respect)

Daetren
Myrmidon

Postby Daetren » Nov 05, 2018 00:38

I also am still not pleased that the original work went to the way side after all these years. Old RA's are the worst for play-style and simple availability for action.
Bring us back Uth1 please?
Bring back new RA's then?
Bring back old patch level? Much more fun and useful
Missions/tasks brought ppl into rvr?
Anything for rvr/pvp!
RvR!
PvP!
For the Realm!
Call to Arms!

Just because we're focused on a patch level doesn't mean we can't have QoL features live brought throughout the future.
Uth is certainly a project for those faithful to the game. The dedication is appreciated and encouraged! I hope my 2 cents expressed doesn't fall on deaf ears.
First of my name, Boon of Midgard, Solous Shamanus, the relentless, King of Dodens and the first men, Breaker of mezzes, and Father of The Dream.

R.I.P
Uth1 - Ist Aid [Nomad Jarl]- 8L3 Kobby Shaman - 900+ REAL Solo Kills ~
Uth2 - Ist Aid [TEAM AMERICA]- 8L5 Kobby Shaman - 500+ REAL Solo Kills ~
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDaetr/videos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3fAbTMqYoTivisVB9 - Uth1 Album (Birth and Death of Respect)

Wakanidoo
Myrmidon

Postby Wakanidoo » Nov 05, 2018 14:22

kinthos wrote:
Nakja wrote:

NO !

I think if done with some controls, it would be okay and could be helpful.

E.g.

-> Not played in 24 hrs: Immediate switch
-> If played but switching to a struggling realm, 30 mins. (how to determine struggling realm? - LWRP/population or both?/keep status/relic status)
-> Otherwise, switch timer is 24 hrs.

My opinion on realm switch: We should be able to change the realm we need to play without any limit of time, BUT: when you login the game, if the character you choose is in frontiers, immediatly port it to a border keep or to the capital, and as soon as the character is logged, it cannot go in frontiers for 1 hour. So NO realm switch for keep/relic take :)
We are here to help *you*
Alcyon: UK; Abydos: US; Baldrug: DE; Blue: DE; Cirdan: US; Crucible: US; Decidon: US;
Genjiro: DE; Gnome: US; Juna: DE; Nayru: DE; Trishin: UK; Rajnish: US

The Uthgard Staff are always here!

Spivo
Eagle Knight

Postby Spivo » Nov 06, 2018 12:00

With the news that staff is at a low low, I'm wondering why people use their energy to come up with suggestions for the server that requires staff changing code, instead of figuring out how the players can make the server better.

And lets disregard the suggestions that goes along: "Man up or leave!".
Albion and having fun

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics