Once-per-month news post coming

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
kinthos
Gryphon Knight

Postby kinthos » Sep 21, 2018 15:46

trebbettes wrote:
Oldman01 wrote:With things going too far in the other direction on the beta server (although their comms is good), I think it might be time for me to finally (after 17 years of DAOC) end my addiction and find something else to play. Have fun all.

This is where im at...

Im still playing a bit on the server that shall not be named to enjoy some quick BG action from time to time but find it hard to enjoy the larger game there.

Mostly I have put the game down, and honestly thats probably a good thing.

I keep a weather eye on these forums though as, well you know how addictions are... I'm always on da lookout for the good sh*t.

I don't get it, I just don't. I tried the [voldemort] server and gave up on it after 1 week. It just feels wrong and in multiple ways. There are some nice bits on there, I agree but it doesn't make up for the other poop.

Uthgard needs a few tweaks here and there and a few more additions to make our lives in DAoC a little less tedious (for me mostly around moving from one location in game to another). However, on the whole, Uthgard is just about right. Maybe running interesting events like the summer RP event more regularly to entice players back, but also to keep players here and active. The most serious area of attention for me is the NA population. They really swung to the [voldemort] server in a big way and understanding why would be a good thing to do.
- Inqy/Spymistress/Sly -
GM of "eXPedient demise" | Slave of "Crows of Winter"

trebbettes
Myrmidon

Postby trebbettes » Sep 21, 2018 16:07

I don't get it, I just don't I tried the [voldemort] server and gave up on it after 1 week. It just feels wrong and in multiple ways. There are some nice bits on there, I agree but it doesn't make up for the other poop.

Your right, there is a LOT of sh*t on that server and Uthgard has by far the better environment. But... I can look past it beacuse stoumaching that crap is easier than stoumaching having sat online for a couple of hours and accomplishing nothing. /LFG 8v8 in a border keep with no alternatvie options for solo / casual play.

For me its BGs primarily.

I can quickly jump on for 30 mins, get some action, log off sort my kids out, come back for another few runs whilst I look for an exp group for another character / rvr grp for a main.

Safely assured I wont be forced out of the BG in short order and have to delete / lvl a new bg toon.

I level toons to 50, but slowly, over time... then i have to farm to template them. I will then take those to RvR when i can find a group with a viable composition after /LFG for a while.

But when I cant find a group (not uncommon), or dont have much time, etc, I have a 80%+ chance to get some action in BGs. This is why i keep returning there. That is much more casual / solo / pug friendly since there is a easilly accessible fun thing to do whilst waiting / looking for more meaning full things (or just having limited time).

Thats not possible on uthgard obviously, you will cap out pretty quickly, etc.

But it wont happen on uthgard, the staff dont want to enable it for various reasons, some more valid (to me) than others.

The reason it was turned off in the first place (on Uth1) was that people who dont like BGs were complaining they didnt have people to kill at lvl 50 rvr. Which seems like madness to me... but hey ho.

Blue & Other have stated they are looking at possible other ways to help with the entry requirements for lvl 50 rvr, but however I try to wrap my head around it, it all seems a lot more complicated / damaging than just enabling /rp off.

But hey, Uthgard have made a lot of changes and population has stubbornly not bounced back. I hope that changes. Population would solve a lot of issues. Which higher population you can create your own casual content... go gank 40+ lvling grps since no BG action to enjoy, etc.
The enemy lined the shore in a dense armed mass.
Among them were black-robed women with disheveled hair like Furies, brandishing torches.
Close by stood Druids, raising their hands to heaven and screaming dreadful curses.

trebbettes
Myrmidon

Postby trebbettes » Sep 21, 2018 16:09

Apparently I can't spell Stomaching, and the edit button isnt working.
The enemy lined the shore in a dense armed mass.
Among them were black-robed women with disheveled hair like Furies, brandishing torches.
Close by stood Druids, raising their hands to heaven and screaming dreadful curses.

kinthos
Gryphon Knight

Postby kinthos » Sep 21, 2018 19:57

Population did improve - not a massive amount but it's noticeably better (particularly in EU time). NA time is unchanged though, it's crap - undeniably crap!

The numbers are not back to pre-[voldermort] server time. I'd love to see that happen. However, you can see the big dip but you can also see the small resurgence too:

- Inqy/Spymistress/Sly -

Stasis
Eagle Knight

Postby Stasis » Sep 22, 2018 08:46

Agree Spy, 100-200ppl have became 300-400 at EU prime.

But same as hibs i think alb lack a big amount of ppl that actually go rvr.

Alcan
Gryphon Knight

Postby Alcan » Sep 25, 2018 18:42

No news? ermm really?

Roamer05
Warder

Postby Roamer05 » Sep 26, 2018 19:40

I’m amazed there still isn’t a news post. Again it’s more principle of the matter. To keep and being new players you guys made changes and set expectations. Now your not following up on your word. Shame. I give up though, been coming here everyday hoping for an official update. Instead I have to make a post and get told they are working on bugs. Ha!

silenced
Phoenix Knight

Postby silenced » Sep 26, 2018 23:01

If you keep on beating there may be a news post that there will be no news post every month. At least this would be my kind of humor ...
Albion Forever!

Abydos
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Abydos » Sep 26, 2018 23:05

We missed the date due to RL. A draft is in the works, we have something upcoming.

Roamer05
Warder

Postby Roamer05 » Sep 27, 2018 01:36

Appreciate the update Abydos

Stasis
Eagle Knight

Postby Stasis » Sep 28, 2018 08:07

My wife's perception of time is different to mine, a bit like Uthgard staff and mine.

1,5months since Blues last update on front page.
At this point i think you communication with the players are more important than your fixing of a bug.
We got some replys in diffrent treads here on forum, where you state you work on bug fixing and working on Evern and so on.

Make a small post every two weeks, with fixed stuff then or what you plan to fix next so it feels more alive.
Doesnt need a wall of text, just a quick update so it stays fresh and alive.

Your changes so fare have been really good and action steady goes the right way for all kinds of playstyles.
/Salute

kinthos
Gryphon Knight

Postby kinthos » Sep 28, 2018 09:18

Stasis wrote:My wife's perception of time is different to mine, a bit like Uthgard staff and mine.

1,5months since Blues last update on front page.
At this point i think you communication with the players are more important than your fixing of a bug.
We got some replys in diffrent treads here on forum, where you state you work on bug fixing and working on Evern and so on.

Make a small post every two weeks, with fixed stuff then or what you plan to fix next so it feels more alive.
Doesnt need a wall of text, just a quick update so it stays fresh and alive.

Your changes so fare have been really good and action steady goes the right way for all kinds of playstyles.
/Salute

I agree with this. I think I remember one of the staff addressing this previously though. I think the previous response was that "When they are working on bugs and issues, there isn't necessarily much to post about beyond what you can already see in the issue tracker."

Even so, if there is nothing interesting to post about, write that you are working on issues that are less front of house (DAoC wise) - its still news for us to read. Even if you think it might seem a bit dull, we can see you are busy working on stuff and the news is fresher and the server is alive and well.

Something I think should be reported on would be realm statistics - RP and population wise. A commentary from staff would be nice too. Also more information on which realm is the least populated and maybe if you think there is an issue with any realm dominating. Don't want to upset anyone here - just asking for staff commentary on it.
- Inqy/Spymistress/Sly -

Trishin
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Trishin » Sep 28, 2018 11:36

And what do you expect us to write when nothing is happening?
(two thirds of the staff being inactive due to RL, the last one third being busy with player support)

"Hey guys, we are busy IRL atm - stay tuned, check the bug tracker for changes"

I doubt that would make you happy with the information provided.

Now I could be wrong and that is exactly what everyone wants, if that is the case please let us know. I am sure we can post monthly updates if that sort of updates wont bring out pitchforks and torches.
Got any questions? Submit them to me and I will try to get them answered in our grab bag !
Rajnish wrote:Why didn't someone warn me that being GM means lots of boring research, logging, testing and organizing data....
I thought it was all about looking cool....

Uthgard Rules || How to connect || FAQ

kinthos
Gryphon Knight

Postby kinthos » Sep 28, 2018 12:06

Trishin wrote:Now I could be wrong and that is exactly what everyone wants, if that is the case please let us know. I am sure we can post monthly updates if that sort of updates wont bring out pitchforks and torches.

The pitchforks and torches are always out from some people.

I can't speak for everyone but I'd prefer more posts. If there is no update - then saying, you are all busy and very little is being worked on. I'm okay with that - at least I/we know. It's better than silence.

Just to restate what I said before, perhaps you don't post about population and realm dominance but if you could post more stats on the home page that would be useful. A little chart of the last week or 2 with population for all realms for different times would be good. Something like this:

These are made up numbers (randomly generated in excel just now) ;)
- Inqy/Spymistress/Sly -

MT-Pear
Phoenix Knight

Postby MT-Pear » Sep 28, 2018 12:58

Trishin wrote:And what do you expect us to write when nothing is happening?
(two thirds of the staff being inactive due to RL, the last one third being busy with player support)

"Hey guys, we are busy IRL atm - stay tuned, check the bug tracker for changes"

I doubt that would make you happy with the information provided.

Now I could be wrong and that is exactly what everyone wants, if that is the case please let us know. I am sure we can post monthly updates if that sort of updates wont bring out pitchforks and torches.

From my point of view: yep, that's exactly what I want.
For sure you could pop it up with some stats about the last week(s):
- most RPs in the timeframe
- fastest lvl ups
- some pics of interesting fights you've seen
- and so on

Just show you're interested in the happening on the server :)

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics