Map Enhancements

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
bm01
Gryphon Knight

Postby bm01 » Feb 18, 2017 04:58

HulkGris wrote:You point the nonesense.
/loc is a non-immersive feature, exactly like a point on a map :wink:
In fact /loc is a point on a map... it's just a rendering difference, but it's the same data.

The difference is that with a point on the map you don't have to look around you, the 3D world, which makes traveling more boring and not even much faster. With a point on the map, people would be forced to use it, you cannot just ignore it, and some people like to get lost (if you don't, well, you have the commands mentioned above and don't really need a point on the map).
Position of team mates on the map is a non balancing feature that bring good thing to the game.

At best it reduces communication when forming a group and... Oh wait, that isn't a good thing.
What would it really bring?

If you want to improve new players experience, find a way to inform them about killtasks, important mechanics like autotrain... I'm sure we can find many things much more important than a marker on the map, and without any downside.

HulkGris
Phoenix Knight

Postby HulkGris » Feb 18, 2017 10:09

bm01 wrote:The difference is that with a point on the map you don't have to look around you,
You don''t have to with a /loc command oO
/faceloc + semi afk checking that you're not running in a mob camp. That's the main travel method.
bm01 wrote:With a point on the map, people would be forced to use it, you cannot just ignore it, and some people like to get lost
Tip of the day : If you want to be lost, don't open a map :roll:
bm01 wrote:
Position of team mates on the map is a non balancing feature that bring good thing to the game.

At best it reduces communication when forming a group and... Oh wait, that isn't a good thing.
It brings more group. It's very common to see a player failing to join, because he uses /faceloc, afk run, and walk straight on a spot of mob. With team mates points on map, you choose the path by watching the map and environment, not by using loc.
Without it, the communication you are pointing are the kind of communication that waste people time, that leads to frustration many times. At best, the lovely communication you mentionned is
[group] bm01 : "loc 32K, 44k"
[group] lambda : "omw"
Yeah, that's a great positive thing...

Lot of bullshit to defend 1.65 crap lacking of feature of interface.
RIP : Ectoplasme
My own version of Uthgard Character Builder

Effaermon
Myrmidon

Postby Effaermon » Feb 19, 2017 18:44

/bump
/sticky?

Njor
Eagle Knight

Postby Njor » Feb 20, 2017 01:17

HulkGris wrote:
bm01 wrote:The difference is that with a point on the map you don't have to look around you,
You don''t have to with a /loc command oO
/faceloc + semi afk checking that you're not running in a mob camp. That's the main travel method.
bm01 wrote:With a point on the map, people would be forced to use it, you cannot just ignore it, and some people like to get lost
Tip of the day : If you want to be lost, don't open a map :roll:
bm01 wrote:

It brings more group. It's very common to see a player failing to join, because he uses /faceloc, afk run, and walk straight on a spot of mob. With team mates points on map, you choose the path by watching the map and environment, not by using loc.
Without it, the communication you are pointing are the kind of communication that waste people time, that leads to frustration many times. At best, the lovely communication you mentionned is
[group] bm01 : "loc 32K, 44k"
[group] lambda : "omw"
Yeah, that's a great positive thing...

Lot of bullshit to defend 1.65 crap lacking of feature of interface.

I'd argue that anybody who uses /faceloc and afk run is deserving whatever comes to them :)
Your argument is from the point of view of some lazy half-afk individual. Not someone you want in your group usually.

It is by default way more enagaging to check loc, check your surroundings ... and properly talk to your groupmates you try to meet. Many lowbie groups in Hib now start describing the way/or location properly ... /loc yes, but also something like " SW of tower in Margath, on shore of lake, stay on road until you hit Mardagh"
And that is way better than following some stupid points on a map.

cheers

Orito
Myrmidon

Postby Orito » Feb 20, 2017 02:35

Well, there sure is a lot of talking going on in here, and not about the maps... Lol.

Anyway, I've found a suitable map for at least one of the dungeons - working on getting it in-game, but maps for these dungeons were never in the game. It's going to be a learning experience for me to figure this out... I'm sure it has something to do with the areas.dat, but I haven't figured that part out yet.

I'll let you know if I figure something out - or if someone else knows how to work with those files, let me know.
"No legacy is so rich as honesty." - William Shakespeare
Retired Assistant Developer <Phaze> of [New] Instant 50
[OF 512x512 Updated Map Pack] [UthHerald Discord Bot]

Orito <Sword of the Dragon>, Bard

Signus
Gryphon Knight

Postby Signus » Feb 20, 2017 20:21

Njor wrote:
HulkGris wrote:No dot on map but a /loc command.
Just a nonesense.

there is a huge difference in immersion ...
- dot on map and you will just watch the map, don't have to orientate yourself on anything else
- /loc ... not as exact, it still needs you to look around and orientate yourself on landmarks

They'll never understand.

Orito
Myrmidon

Postby Orito » Feb 21, 2017 09:19

The first post has been updated to include the best maps I could find for the Old Frontiers Dungeons. No point in adding loc lines to most of them.

Also an important notice for the Uthgard staff is on that post, as well as anyone who is good at mapping.

Edit:
Also, if anyone wants to post the /loc and region for all the OF dungeons, I'll add them to the OF map pack.
"No legacy is so rich as honesty." - William Shakespeare
Retired Assistant Developer <Phaze> of [New] Instant 50
[OF 512x512 Updated Map Pack] [UthHerald Discord Bot]

Orito <Sword of the Dragon>, Bard

Amee
Warder

Postby Amee » Feb 25, 2017 11:44

Ive read so many replies to this question and my thoughts are.
Why not. I do look around. In DF I havnt a clue where I am or how to get out.
When I die out in the field.. I cant find the same place.
I spend soo much time wasted looking for things and I can be in the total wrong direction.
Ive read where people dont even want the map.
My reply.. Don't open it then. Simple.
Same with a green dot on the map to show where you are.
If you don't want to know.. dont look.
Now heres a thought.. How about a toggle.. toggle map on map off.
Toggle dot on dot off.
This could be a game breaker for me as im the most lost person I know and I find it hugely aggravating to be constantly lost.
This will be strange to some people as we have face loc, but I still take forever and cant find where I am any way.
This is the one and only complaint I have with the game.
BRING IN THE DOT.. PLEASE.

Amee
Warder

Postby Amee » Feb 25, 2017 11:56

An add to my last post.
Some want you to look around at the country side.
Well, ive played this game for 10 years.. ive seen the country side soo often why do I need to constantly see the country side?
Do people say to you.. Don't use your car.. walk.. you will see your neighbourhood you will love it.
Do it every day.. its great.
NO... they dont cause thats just crazy.
If you don't need a map why does everyone I know have a sat nav?
why? ok.. answer.. why??
Because it saves time, it saves frustration, it saves you from getting lost.
The game is the same. People may only have a few hours a week to play and they probably
don't want most of that time wasted by trying to find where they are or where their group is.
I just dont see the reason not too have that particular enhancement.
If you don't want it. DONT open the map.
:twisted:
But give people a choice. Please.

Pao
Gryphon Knight

Postby Pao » Feb 25, 2017 12:32

Actually I am happy about the change. I've seen it so many times in games you look at the map and your brain is switched off. Even when you play the game for ages you look at the dot on the map. If the map dot would be gone you would be lost even you played this games for ages.
Here in Uthgard because how the map is I just learned the surrounding and only need sometimes the map to navigate with the compass. The game force me to use my brain, omg!
Hope GMs are fine with what they have stated, that they are fine with just 80 people (300ppl was Trishin Statement long time ago) playing the game under their vision.
Its important to leave this server running doesn't matter how low the numbers will be. The other servers can fail but Uthgard still will be there, thats Uthgards only chance.

Edit 19/09/21: Well Uthgards chance has come.

Njor
Eagle Knight

Postby Njor » Feb 26, 2017 02:58

Amee wrote:An add to my last post.
Well, ive played this game for 10 years.. ive seen the country side soo often why do I need to constantly see the country side?
Do people say to you.. Don't use your car.. walk.. you will see your neighbourhood you will love it.
why? ok.. answer.. why??
The game is the same. People may only have a few hours a week to play and they probably
don't want most of that time wasted by trying to find where they are or where their group is.

so you played this game for 10 years and still don't know your way around .... amazing ... thats what having a map with dot does to you

cheers

Amee
Warder

Postby Amee » Feb 26, 2017 06:20

It's soo sad that you don't think.. I've played Alb for 10 years. Now im playing hib.. for just 4 weeks.

Njor
Eagle Knight

Postby Njor » Feb 26, 2017 06:33

Njor wrote:
Amee wrote:An add to my last post.
why? ok.. answer.. why??

so you played this game for 10 years and still don't know your way around .... amazing ... thats what having a map with dot does to you

cheers

Amee wrote:It's soo sad that you don't think.. I've played Alb for 10 years. Now im playing hib.. for just 4 weeks.

Seems you forgot what you said in your previous post, quoted it here (important part in bold) to remind you.
Satnav is exactly what we don't need in a medieval/fantasy MMO.

cheers

Budikah
Phoenix Knight

Postby Budikah » Feb 26, 2017 06:59

Will you guys take the map discussion to another post rather than debate it in a thread where somebody put in work to make some maps?

Quick question for the OP - what files do I need for what?

Do I download all of them? Is the Valmerwolf's a package with everything in it? Just not sure about the content of each if I need to just DL/dump them all in, or if one has everything in it.

rza11
Myrmidon

Postby rza11 » Feb 26, 2017 07:27

I was browsing around old Camelot related sites on the way back machine the other day and came across these maps:

http://web.archive.org/web/200310082037 ... bmap.shtml

http://web.archive.org/web/200312042336 ... links.html (alot of broken image links)

http://web.archive.org/web/200310041701 ... /kirstena/

Not sure if any to help to anyone but posted anyway. Tried finding some nice OF dungeon maps (hall of corrupt etc, but it seems my google fu is not strong enough.

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics