Map Enhancements

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Orito
Myrmidon

Postby Orito » Jan 16, 2017 09:01

Hey all,

I'm making this post for a couple of reasons...
    I was asked in IRC how to get 512x512 Valmerwolf maps in custom UIs that aren't Bob'sUI.
    While setting up Valmerwolf, they indicated they were using GhostUI, so I wanted to fix the map window.
    After I was done, I figured I would try my hand at making 512x512 for Old Frontiers as I didn't think any existed.

Everything is zipped with 7-Zip; if you don't have it, download it here.
As well, everything is zipped up in a way that all you need to do is extract to <DAoC Installation Directory>\ui\ for Valmerwolf or <DAoC Installation Directory>\ for Orito's. If your custom UI has built-in maps, you will be asked to replace them.

Valmerwolf's 512x512 Map Pack - This is here to change all your other maps to 512x512. I won't package this with my own maps as they're not mine to do so.
Orito's 512x512 Old Frontiers Map Pack (includes OF Dungeons) - This contains 512x512 Old Frontiers maps and their dungeons. (The dungeons maps could use some work, if you do mapping in-game, contact me.)
My 512x512 GhostUI Map Window Fix - This is only for those of you who use GhostUI to fix the Map Window size/draggable area.

Important Note: The Frontier Dungeons Map Pack is separate due to the way Uthgard has the zones.mpk configured. The maps will load and work properly, however the title will always be 'region000'. If the Uthgard staff wants to correct this, here is the corrected zones.mpk. If Uthgard does deploy this zones.mpk, there are no downsides. Without the maps but with the modified zones.mpk, all that happens in the OF Dungeons is instead of saying 'region000', it'll say the zone name. It still displays the 'no map found' image. However, this is a change that the Uthgard staff has to make, otherwise the modified zones.mpk will be replaced every time your client patches/logs onto the server.

Note to creators: If anyone wants to bring these maps into the modern age, just put together a 512x512 PNG and toss me the link. I'll convert it, add lines if necessary, and deploy it here.

If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions, please let me know. If you believe any changes need made to my OF map pack, please be detailed.

Thanks,
Ori~
Last edited by Orito on Feb 26, 2017 16:03, edited 2 times in total.
"No legacy is so rich as honesty." - William Shakespeare
Retired Assistant Developer <Phaze> of [New] Instant 50
[OF 512x512 Updated Map Pack] [UthHerald Discord Bot]

Orito <Sword of the Dragon>, Bard

Feuille
Gryphon Knight

Postby Feuille » Jan 17, 2017 20:25

Thx m8 - good to have the loc on the OF maps

cavesham
Banned

Postby cavesham » Jan 17, 2017 20:35

does it show where i am on the map

im tired of being lost

Orito
Myrmidon

Postby Orito » Jan 17, 2017 20:56

cavesham wrote:does it show where i am on the map

im tired of being lost

It does not. That is restricted on the server side, no allowed client-side mod will give you that ability.

I suggest using a combination of /loc /faceloc and gridded maps like I've provided for better location accuracy.

Njor
Eagle Knight

Postby Njor » Jan 17, 2017 22:56

im tired of being lost

how did you ever get around on classic back then? or did you wait until map with DoT came out and started playing DAoC afterwards?

you just have to know the loc-grid layout, use the compass and you can orientate yourself easily
- the loc-grid is 0,0 in the far NW corner of the map and 65k,65k in the far SE corner of the map
- /loc gives coords in E-W, N-S
- 32k,32k is right in the middle (Mardagh in Lough Derg for example)
- Mag Mell in Lough Derg is 27k,13k
- if you run East the first number will go up, if you run West the first number will go down
- if you run South the second number will go up, if you run North the second number will go down

edit: create a macro button > /macro loc /loc and put it on your action bar ... that way you can quickly click loc repeatedly without having to type it out

easy :)

cheers
Last edited by Njor on Jan 17, 2017 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

Satiah
Eagle Knight

Postby Satiah » Jan 17, 2017 22:59

im tired of being lost

You're a female?
Satiah | Tuthmes | Dendera | Khufu | Nefertete | Dahshur | Nebetah | Neterbaiu

HulkGris
Phoenix Knight

Postby HulkGris » Jan 17, 2017 23:54

No dot on map but a /loc command.
Just a nonesense.
RIP : Ectoplasme
My own version of Uthgard Character Builder

Njor
Eagle Knight

Postby Njor » Jan 18, 2017 00:04

HulkGris wrote:No dot on map but a /loc command.
Just a nonesense.

there is a huge difference in immersion ...
- dot on map and you will just watch the map, don't have to orientate yourself on anything else
- /loc ... not as exact, it still needs you to look around and orientate yourself on landmarks

Bistravoda
Myrmidon

Postby Bistravoda » Jan 25, 2017 22:04

@Orito you are hero, thx alot !!!
Sent from AMG using Crtical Shot

Bistravoda = Clean Water

wla
Gryphon Knight

Postby wla » Feb 16, 2017 17:02

do these map packs also include maps from dungeons in OF (stonehenge etc.)?

Don't argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Orito
Myrmidon

Postby Orito » Feb 16, 2017 20:04

wla wrote:do these map packs also include maps from dungeons in OF (stonehenge etc.)?

Actually, no. Didn't even know there were dungeons in OF. Will research tonight and try to put some together.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

HulkGris
Phoenix Knight

Postby HulkGris » Feb 17, 2017 02:16

Njor wrote:
Just a nonesense.

- dot on map and you will just watch the map, don't have to orientate yourself on anything else
- /loc ... not as exact, it still needs you to look around and orientate yourself on landmarks

You point the nonesense.
/loc is a non-immersive feature, exactly like a point on a map :wink:
In fact /loc is a point on a map... it's just a rendering difference, but it's the same data.

Njor
Eagle Knight

Postby Njor » Feb 17, 2017 03:09

HulkGris wrote:
Njor wrote:
Just a nonesense.

You point the nonesense.
/loc is a non-immersive feature, exactly like a point on a map :wink:
In fact /loc is a point on a map... it's just a rendering difference, but it's the same data.

well, in the end its all data ... but having a dot to track on the map will keep your eyes on the map ... whereas having to loc every now and then, get your bearing, check landmarks ... thats pretty close to how you would navigate in the 'olden times' hehehe ...
I know its hard for people who grew up with gps maps with dots on in their phones to switch back to actually encounter your surroundings ... but take it as a challenge, you will be learning something new!

cheers

kaspar
Warder

Postby kaspar » Feb 17, 2017 13:58

Orito wrote:Hey all,

I'm making this post for a couple of reasons...
    I was asked in IRC how to get 512x512 Valmerwolf maps in custom UIs that aren't Bob'sUI.
    While setting up Valmerwolf, they indicated they were using GhostUI, so I wanted to fix the map window.
    After I was done, I figured I would try my hand at making 512x512 for Old Frontiers as I didn't think any existed.

If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions, please let me know. If you believe any changes need made to my OF map pack, please be detailed.

Thanks,
Ori~

Very well done, only thing missing are DF maps which are still at 256x256.
FYI df maps are the z249_00 to z249_05

HulkGris
Phoenix Knight

Postby HulkGris » Feb 18, 2017 01:17

Njor wrote:thats pretty close to how you would navigate in the 'olden times' hehehe ...
I know its hard for people who grew up with gps maps with dots on in their phones to switch back to actually encounter your surroundings ... but take it as a challenge, you will be learning something new!
/loc ? old times navigate ? Are you serious ?
Immersion is a wrong argument...
You can't say that a thing giving your exact location at any time is an immersive feature :gaga: And that's what /loc and this dot are giving to you...

And by the way, with time, you will be able to guess where the dot should be just by reading the /loc result.
Removing Dot is just a stupid decision to make the game harder for new player. Every old players are able to know where they are on this map by reading /loc result, and we all use /faceloc to reach the NPC we're looking for...

Position of team mates on the map is a non balancing feature that bring good thing to the game. Just like some stuff that are no 1.65 like and still kept in the game by the team...

Next

Return to General Topics