Not casual friendly and population will tank.

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Njor
Eagle Knight

Postby Njor » Jul 04, 2016 23:55

lordgriffon wrote: ... wall of text ...

I agree with some of the points you make about listening to your playerbase, but I think there are a few facts which need to be considered
1. Uthgard 1.0 was extremely successfull over a very long time, despite having manymanymany players complaining ALOT during all that time in these forums
2. people populating these forums are not indicative of 'the playerbase', there are just a subsection of players which are usually fairly happy to drone on about their views/ideas
3. changes in a complex system like an MMO have many effects which are not initially obvious, and I certainly trust someone who has a proven trackrecord of getting it right for 10 years more than anyone else here on these forums
4. BETA!!! -> "Beta phase generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain a number of known or unknown bugs"; you do not want to introduce more bugs during beta, you need to stick to whatever feature list you have in place

Imo if any changes are deemed necessary it should certainly be a discussion after beta, not during.

cheers

relvinian
Phoenix Knight

Postby relvinian » Jul 05, 2016 00:05

Whatever is done or decided, now is the time. That is what this beta is for. Once you get the genie out of the bottle you cannot put it back in.

The common goal has to be the best server possible. What does the best server look like as a player? As an elite player? As a casual player?

The answer is really:

1. Population.
2. Being able to fight the enemy.
3. Being able to play either group or solo.

That is about it.
https://www.uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37632

Players can greatly contribute to a server if you let them.

Uthgard, still the best server. Thanks, Devs.

HatTrick
Myrmidon

Postby HatTrick » Jul 05, 2016 00:30

relvinian wrote:Rps while dead helps because it throws them a bone.

Why do you keep droning on about getting rps while dead. You already get rps while dead if you did damage to someone that gets killed after you die. When I first read you complaining about that, I thought to myself "I think you already do get rps when you're dead." Just a few minutes ago I confirmed it. I was fighting an Infil on my Hunter in Caledonia and they beat me but I had them down to a sliver of health. More mids arrived from the CK and finished off the Infil and I get the message: "You gain 40 realm points! You get an extra 1 realm point for outpost ownership." So yeah, you already get rps when dead if you actually did something so you can scratch that off your list of gripes.
Member of Vanquish
Midgard Tristan from day 1, now a Hib (the pacifist realm) :P

Dwan
Warder

Postby Dwan » Jul 05, 2016 00:58

Kilrogg wrote:
Rynthion wrote:QoL changes by nature make things easier. I'm damn sick of easy games. Hell the only decent games that have came out in the last decade were the Dark Souls games.

The majority of QoL changes that people are asking for would add optional features to the game, not replace anything, and you could simply not use those features if you did not want to.

Map w/ GPS dot: Ignore the dot if that makes it "too easy" for you.
Stacking potions: Don't stack your potions.
LFG channel: Keep using the LFG tool (that nobody uses) or keep messaging people using /who instead.
Etc.

The key difference here is you are trying to impose the way you want to play on everyone else (far fewer of which are into that "hard mode" DAoC than you think), while the other side of the argument is actually proposing solutions that would make it possible for both people like you and people like me to play the way they want, at the same time.

THANK YOU.

I swear, how can some people be so mad over a dot showing your location to help noobs and casuals that DONT want to use a map on their second monitor?

Like SERIOUSLY, if you wanna be ****** cool and turn the DOT option off and post it on instagram, go for it, but let the rest of the community have their little freakin map show their location. It doesn't affect ANYTHING. It doesn't make you kill reds faster. I can't believe the devs aren't bending on that one, really disapointed.

You want to stick to 1.65 and so do we. But if you're not going to implement a few ridiculous non-game breaking QOL improvements to keep the population healthy and the casuals around, you'll bleed tons of players. So much for nothing.

Trishin
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Trishin » Jul 05, 2016 01:34

I know a lot of you seem to know exactly which 5 QOL changes is needed, but history has proven to us that once those 5 features are implemented, 5 new ones are found as the new QOL changes that need to happen before the server is doomed.

Therefore we decided to keep the server as of patch 1.65 for class and balance features. This however extends to some QOL features, which to some might seem like minor (or no) impact changes. However even the smallest drop of water can turn into an ocean, or make the bucket overflow.

This is the reason for us keeping a strict patch target and telling players "no", when they ask for QOL changes etc. Because history (10 years of Uthgard) has shown us, that this is the best/easiest way to run the server, and to avoid too much outrage. (Remember, whenever we satisfy 1 player, another one gets upset, and we are the ones who have to deal with that).

You can agree with that decision or not, but when it's our spare time on the line, we want to keep it as enjoyable as possible. And for that to be the case, a strict patch policy is required. Even if it means making "stupid" and "insane" decisions to keep to a patch level.

We understand that from a player POV creating the "best" DAoC server possible would be preferable, but through 10 years of Uthgad 1.0, we found that this dream was simply impossible, in part because everyone had a different dream. A lot less discussions are required within the staff with a strict patch level, because the direction is set. This means we can fix bugs, create features, much easier than before. So please, try to keep all this in mind, when you talk about how "stupid" or "insane" it is to keep to a strict patch level.

It might be easy to come up with a list of 10 QOL changes that would make the server better, but we are the ones that needs to communicate with all our players on a daily basis, and we need to defend those 10 custom features every single day. The less features we have to spend time defending, the more bugs we can fix, and the more players we can move who are stuck, or lost an item due to a bug.
Got any questions? Submit them to me and I will try to get them answered in our grab bag !
Rajnish wrote:Why didn't someone warn me that being GM means lots of boring research, logging, testing and organizing data....
I thought it was all about looking cool....

Uthgard Rules || How to connect || FAQ

barto22
Phoenix Knight

Postby barto22 » Jul 05, 2016 01:49

I think we would do well to remember that the Uthgard v1. had many, many custom and QoL changes that proved a good part of the server's success. It seems silly to say that it was a failure of a server when, realistically, it wasn't. The server only died because the grass was greener on the other side, or so many people thought it would be.

I think QoL improvements and custom changes will be the key points in population retention for the server.
My mind’s made up, don’t confuse me with facts.
You mustn't assume that your personal situation is a reflection of every other person that has logged in to Uthgard.

relvinian
Phoenix Knight

Postby relvinian » Jul 05, 2016 03:25

Trishin,

"You can agree with that decision or not, but when it's our spare time on the line, we want to keep it as enjoyable as possible. And for that to be the case, a strict patch policy is required. Even if it means making "stupid" and "insane" decisions to keep to a patch level."

You are right, it is your spare time. And our spare time. And the players spare time. At the end of the day if the server doesn't do well and the population is low then EVERYONE wasted their time.
https://www.uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37632

Players can greatly contribute to a server if you let them.

Uthgard, still the best server. Thanks, Devs.

Blue
Developer
Developer

Postby Blue » Jul 05, 2016 03:40

We will not discuss customizations of the 1.65 patch target at this point in time.

Please understand that this is not our focus for now.
It's done when it's done. Thanks for your patience.
Every bug gets fixed. Sooner or later.

"It is an inescapable law of nature that the amount of satisfaction one gains from achieving something
is related to how hard it is and easy things can only elicit a fleeting superficial sort of pleasure."

Blue says, "you used macro tools or macro keyboard"
Pala says, "i am disabled. and i have a mechanic left hand that can be programed. its hard to play woith one hand"

[Appeal] Bxxxxxxxx: "why is RA first aid cann man i stealth use and not unstealth cann man ra if man use unstealth ?????????"
BannedUser: "i was not using automate game action my hand was fall on keyboard during i was sleep .... i was completly fall on keyboard ..."

Previous

Return to General Topics