Not casual friendly and population will tank.

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Njor
Eagle Knight

Postby Njor » Jul 03, 2016 01:47

imho one of the key aspects of DAoC pre-ToA (and many other successfull MMO's and also MUD's at that time) is that working hard for an accomplishment makes you value this accomplishment much higher ... this is what Uthgard is about, so there is no use in crying for QoL improvements

cheers

Rynthion
Gryphon Knight

Postby Rynthion » Jul 03, 2016 02:10

Frankly I'd wish they remove travel horses, triple xp needed per level, remove /as, and make you lose 10x as much xp if you release. For about 6 months or so. All the whiners would just up and quit.

They could change it back after that if they wanted.

Kilrogg
Gryphon Knight

Postby Kilrogg » Jul 03, 2016 04:08

Yes I'm sure that 20 person server would be a lot of fun.

relvinian
Phoenix Knight

Postby relvinian » Jul 03, 2016 06:44

Rynthion wrote:Frankly I'd wish they remove travel horses, triple xp needed per level, remove /as, and make you lose 10x as much xp if you release. For about 6 months or so. All the whiners would just up and quit.

They could change it back after that if they wanted.

Hardcore players will endure anything to play. The problem is that despite what people think hardcore players are WAY LESS numerous and thus less important than casual players for a server.
https://www.uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37632

Players can greatly contribute to a server if you let them.

Uthgard, still the best server. Thanks, Devs.

Seksy
Eagle Knight

Postby Seksy » Jul 03, 2016 07:30

Casual players are the ones that normally attend events like keep raids, Relic raids, and Zerg events. The elitist player doesn't always do this. As experience shows sometimes when there was a relic raid 8man groups would just keep doing 8v8 in emain and not support their realm. This is mostly because those events aren't challenging or don't benefit those types of players, but the real reason is because they only like 8v8 99% of the time.

Unfortunately Casual players don't invest the time that elite players do in RvR. While Casual players pve the majority of the time, Elite players are constantly showing up to RvR whether it's solo, smallman, or 8man. This is where you have to draw the line because if things become too Casual then you lose the most active RvR players.

This is why I've come up with a list of improvements that only improve convenience without really effecting the core. I will probably get flamed but these are just my opinions. I will only mention them again since we have some new blood and they might understand where I'm going.

1.) Charged Pots.
2.) healer/recharger at portal keeps.
3.) Port to keep in portal zones, Beno, Crauchon, Bledmeer.
4.) Custom Bounty point items that don't effect RvR like Reskins.

1.) So whether we have single or charged pots the only difference is the amount of time before we need to restock. While I know it isn't a 1.65 feature, I still feel it would greatly improve RvR.

2.) It just slows down the RvR really...

3.) You still have to wait for the teleporter and it would encourage players to further defend/take back those keeps.

4.) I've always liked the events and this is what I'm talking about. Reskins just make you look cool and we all know the more money sinks the better! We want to keep that economy from getting retard for fresh players down the line. Let's make those veteran players use their money instead of increasing the economy.

The truth is 1.65 has good and bad things, but there are also many custom changes to Uthgard which are not livelike. Uthgard is the vision of the staff, not the vision of 1.65. They just want you to think that but at the same time they nitpick stuff as they please :roll: . I'm not trying to say anything negative as many of the changes I agree with, but in the end it's the truth.

Falken
Gryphon Knight

Postby Falken » Jul 03, 2016 08:49

I see a handful of QoL changes that could be made that wouldn't significantly effect the balance of any one realm in particular, but the mindset I have grasped so far has been, "we are making this, either accept it and play or leave" which is sad since they have already added some customizations that fall under the category I mentioned. The OP rambles and sounds like a crazy old man, but the underlying basis of the post has some merit to it (map aside because anybody who has remotely paid attention knows they plan to add it before launch).
Hib - Falken (BM) / Sneakster (NS) / Kalfen (Enchanter) - Currently Inactive

Alb - Djfalken (Minstrel) - Inactive

Mid - Tooeasynothanks

Der_Eisbaer
Eagle Knight

Postby Der_Eisbaer » Jul 03, 2016 08:52

Don't ride Relvinian, that guy is a dead horse.

Jerrian
Phoenix Knight

Postby Jerrian » Jul 03, 2016 09:24

Well,
I ´ve to witness that Relvinian is probably right about some things due aspects that will influence server development in the future.
Some other guy once said 1.65 is a fine patch level but it will take off some "long breath" of the server and will ppl scare a way after a while. Another one said it would be cool if the server could develop further step by step after release with 1.65.

Good points, but staff put so much effort in it to make it work, it would be a shame to switch now (tbh it would never happen at this point anyway) .We will see how things go out, it ´s the wrong time to discuss about new custom staff, because decissions were made long ago and it would cause more trouble and chaos if staff would give up their goals right now.

Maybe we will see some changes with shrouded isles release until then we will suffer a bit, imagine you play dark souls for the fun of dying while gimping around at Uthgard with a crapy patchlevel :-P.

Seksy
Eagle Knight

Postby Seksy » Jul 03, 2016 10:04

This is the problem with MMO's, they constantly develop and change so picking a good patch is impossible. One persons enjoyments in daoc are not the same as everyone so how does the staff figure out whats best? I always like to have an opinion but that doesn't mean they should agree with it. The fact is Uthgard is a stable server that has a very good melee code, casting code, and should have RA's working by release, if they aren't already. You have to sacrifice your Idea of a perfect server and understand that Uthgard is a fan made server. In the end those who created it will decide what is right and what isn't. While I think they should listen to the community it's also hard to find the right balance.

relvinian
Phoenix Knight

Postby relvinian » Jul 03, 2016 14:54

1. Map is supposed to be put in and yet they say there will be no dot showing you where you are.
2. BG bind? I can take it or leave it but its an example of something less fun.
3. LFG? They put a work around in and then another work around in. Why? Just put it back in.
https://www.uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37632

Players can greatly contribute to a server if you let them.

Uthgard, still the best server. Thanks, Devs.

Njor
Eagle Knight

Postby Njor » Jul 03, 2016 15:55

relvinian wrote:1. Map is supposed to be put in and yet they say there will be no dot showing you where you are.
2. BG bind? I can take it or leave it but its an example of something less fun.
3. LFG? They put a work around in and then another work around in. Why? Just put it back in.

1. oh the map, amazing ... at least you acknowledge they are putting one in ... now the dot is missing, how horrible ... the dot is surely only necessary if you do not want to spend anytime at all orienting yourself in the actual game world
2. there is a lot of 'less fun' decisions in 1.65 which keep up a certain feeling of accomplishment for your activities
3. /as is working well imo ... on the other hand, how would you be able to find your groupmates without a map with dots anyway?

cheers

Dwan
Warder

Postby Dwan » Jul 03, 2016 16:17

Don't waste time arguing with Njor. He's the most biased user on these forums and has -always- bashed any OP's that doesn't agree with the dev's POV.

Basically, the brown nose syndrome.

cheers

Bmber
Myrmidon

Postby Bmber » Jul 03, 2016 16:54

Njor wrote:
relvinian wrote:3. /as is working well imo ... on the other hand, how would you be able to find your groupmates without a map with dots anyway?

cheers

Nothing is more classic than asking for LOC.

May be we should ask Uthgard to create a quest helper addon also.

Kilrogg
Gryphon Knight

Postby Kilrogg » Jul 03, 2016 18:31

Bmber wrote:
Njor wrote:
relvinian wrote:3. /as is working well imo ... on the other hand, how would you be able to find your groupmates without a map with dots anyway?

cheers

Nothing is more classic than asking for LOC.

May be we should ask Uthgard to create a quest helper addon also.

You and I have very different definitions of "classic".

DerWegIstDasZiel
Myrmidon

Postby DerWegIstDasZiel » Jul 03, 2016 20:18

Im a Casual, and i managed it.

I know several dozen other Casuals, and they managed it as well.

This Thread is very unnessessary in my humble opinion, sir!

Greetings,
Djamak
---------- Djamak ---------
<West Albion Explorers>
Level 49 Briton Sorcerer
---Grandmaster Tailor---
-----------RR 2L2----------
----------Rilan 281--------

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics