An Uth 'Oldtimers' History Thread

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Alphaone
Myrmidon

Postby Alphaone » Oct 22, 2014 04:20

So while we wait for the (hopefully soon) relaunch of Uth...I thought it'd be worthwhile to see if anyone had some stories about the inception of Uth, and what it was like during it's formative years. I have heard quite a bit hear and there, but anyone who has a "Oldtimers" story they'd like to share, I at least would love to hear it. I've only been around since 2012, so all those early day raids, different zones and events, bugs that people found and exploited....etc etc - anything goes here.

Share your thoughts, and I will bump occasionally to see if we can get more peeps to share over time.

Also, if this thread has already been done, and you can give the link, we can just re-bump that old thread to keep it going and retire this one. ;)

LLU (Long Live Uth),

Alpha

silenced
Phoenix Knight

Postby silenced » Oct 22, 2014 06:35

A long long time ago you could repeatedly salvage the same item over and over again, which could result in a lot of wealth in a short time. A bug I finally reported on May 14th 2007! (after I had enough platins to get all my crafters up).
Albion Forever!

Pao
Gryphon Knight

Postby Pao » Oct 22, 2014 12:42

Is this suppose to point out that Genesis isn't that bad cuz Uthgard was also a buggy mess at the beginning?

Sir, you are a master troll. /bow.
:D
Hope GMs are fine with what they have stated, that they are fine with just 80 people (300ppl was Trishin Statement long time ago) playing the game under their vision.
Its important to leave this server running doesn't matter how low the numbers will be. The other servers can fail but Uthgard still will be there, thats Uthgards only chance.

Edit 19/09/21: Well Uthgards chance has come.

necator
Myrmidon

Postby necator » Oct 22, 2014 17:11

Just a few rvr breaking bugs i came across while i was playing uthgard^^

There was this one command (/changelog) which made your character lag pretty bad, enabled lag jumping and it was spam-able.
The command was abused heavily in rvr, especially by casters who profited the most, since it got very difficult for tanks to hit them - the player who abused it seemed to fly straight into the air (i guess the reason for that was just the permanent spam of a /changelog macro in combination with jumping).
It took them quite some time to fix it, because those who knew didn't report it for a very long time. Typical applications were to dodge tanks in rvr or lag jump onto smth (DF stairs,..) .
Even tough i never used it in rvr (most of the time i played a merc and it was impracticable for my class ;p) i still got banned for abusing the command for quite some time. (i used it mainly to "explore" camelot ^^ - jumping onto the fountain in the city, ....)

Regarding lag jumping in combination with a event item, there was one other thing which could have broken the rvr but i think nobody ever did it because it was permaban worthy - i for myself just tested it with another person and we even reported it but i think there was never a staff reaction to the report.
From events you could get a little tent - they were big enough that one char could fit under it and had a width of about 2 big trolls and a length of probably 4^^. You were able to plant it anywhere IG (just drag the item out of your inventory and drop it - if you were the owner you could just pick them up like regular daoc loot)- they even had a hit box in the rvr zone!
So what you could do was - if you were standing inside one you were able to lag-jump (with /changelog macro for example^^) onto the rooftop of the tent and you where basically immune to melee attacks from up there.
Another possible application was - if you had 2ppl and both got one you were able to stack tents - just put one down -> both players lag jump onto the roof of the first tent -> place a second tent on top of the first one -> lag jump on the roof of the new one -> remove the bottom tent -> repeat. You were also able to change direction slowly - one application?^^ i suggest keep raiding ;p

One thing which benefited me (playing a class with charge) was the fact that you were able to charge out of root - which you can imagine was convenient... It was fixed during the time where emain was still the main rvr zone ... after that i spent more points in det^^

From one thing that benefited me to one which annoyed me probably the most. The prime time of "abuse" (at least i felt abused as a tank) of this bug was after they switched from Emain to Agramon as the main rvr zone.
Arga stayed the main rvr zone for quite some time and the staff experimented a lot with different setups of towers/keeps in and around the Agra zone.
The bug was just the fact that the ichor RA lasted for the full duration of the spell - neither resists (not sure about that) nor det had any effect on the duration you had to endure that spell (i can't remember if you could purge ichor back then - never used purge on my merc during that time the typical spec was charge2 as much det as possible and the rest in mopain lw1).
It wasn't until this time we discovered it, because rarely anyone would spec ichor - it was just too much points - everyone was low rr and in the early years of uthgard there was much less rp gain (less players and less rp/kill which was changed later).
Suddenly at least one Hib group appeared with 3VWs and guess what... all with ichor3.
I usally spent around 1min30s just standing around and trying to rupt some casters/healers with my stupid bow and the VW dmg output wasn't to bad either... Fights against sucht grps were close but if i remember correctly we lost most of them.
I don't wanna brag, but i think i used to be in one of the better alb grps (well ok there weren't many other alb grps ;p) and it was basically impossible to deal with such grps (different setups weren't a option ... you had one main char - lvling up a new one and getting it ready for rvr just took too much time).

Another fun rvr encounter was the "god" svg. Still during Agra times there were a few players who discovered that after respeccing your RA's you didn't lose stats like str/con as long as you didn't relog.
I'm not sure but i think in combination with duping a lot of RA stones at least one player made his char godlike and went to Agra with it.
Well after that, the char and player got banned quickly (im not sure but i think it took at most 1-2 days until the staff caught up to it).
What followed was a huge upset - the discovery of a "dupe ring". A lot of popular/known players got perma banned (mainly mid players).

One last thing which kinda affected rvr was probably one of the worst staff decisions during my active time on uthgard.
There was this one mob(Kez) in the alb dragon-zone which was perma farmed because it dropped a bracer with a good utility -probably every alb on uth had one or two in their temps.
One time the staff discovered that is was not "live-like" - the bracer had one resist type to much compared to the live version (if i remember correctly 8%heat - if you were ever involved in making a sc you know how much 8% actually is).
Instead of keeping old bracers as they were and making them untradeable they just removed the one stat from all bracers ever dropped.
They introduced refund merchants in order to "clean stats" of a crafted piece and granted little gold for every cleaned piece. If i remember correctly you were also able to sell the old bracer for 500g to the same npc? - Anyways it was just not enough for all the effort you have to put in planning a temp, getting the items, ...
They just destroyed nearly all alb temps over night and blamed it partially on the players because nobody informed them earlier.

Just a few of my highlights regarding bugs which affected the rvr during my time on uthgard.
I enjoyed playing here a lot and met a lot of nice ppl.
I started playing daoc on uthgard but switched to live servers(EU) because more ppl where playing there and the fact of the greater variety of 8v8 opponents - on uth you had maybe 1-2 regular grps during EU prime time.
-necator
Last edited by necator on Oct 22, 2014 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

Alphaone
Myrmidon

Postby Alphaone » Oct 22, 2014 17:53

necator wrote:Just a few rvr breaking bugs i came across while i was playing uthgard^^

There was this one command (/changelog) which made your character lag pretty bad, enabled lag jumping and it was spam-able.
The command was abused heavily in rvr, especially by casters who profited the most, since it got very difficult for tanks to hit them - the player who abused it seemed to fly straight into the air (i guess the reason for that was just the permanent spam of a /changelog macro in combination with jumping).
It took them quite some time to fix it, because those who knew didn't report it for a very long time. Typical applications were to dodge tanks in rvr or lag jump onto smth (DF stairs,..) .
Even tough i never used it in rvr (most of the time i played a merc and it was impracticable for my class ;p) i still got banned for abusing the command for quite some time. (i used it mainly to "explore" camelot ^^ - jumping onto the fountain in the city, ....)

Regarding lag jumping in combination with a event item, there was one other thing which could have broken the rvr but i think nobody ever did it because it was permaban worthy - i for myself just tested it with another person and we even reported it but i think there was never a staff reaction to the report.
From events you could get a little tent - they were big enough that one char could fit under it and had a width of about 2 big trolls and a length of probably 4^^. You were able to plant it anywhere IG (just drag the item out of your inventory and drop it - if you were the owner you could just pick them up like regular daoc loot)- they even had a hit box in the rvr zone!
So what you could do was - if you were standing inside one you were able to lag-jump (with /changelog macro for example^^) onto the rooftop of the tent and you where basically immune to melee attacks from up there.
Another possible application was - if you had 2ppl and both got one you were able to stack tents - just put one down -> both players lag jump onto the roof of the first tent -> place a second tent on top of the first one -> lag jump one the roof of the new one -> remove the bottom tent -> repeat. You were also able to change direction slowly - one application?^^ i suggest keep raiding ;p

One thing which benefited me (playing a class with charge) was the fact that you were able to charge out of root - which you can imagine was convenient... It was fixed during the time where emain was still the main rvr zone ... after that i spent more points in det^^

From one thing that benefited me to one which annoyed me probably the most. The prime time of "abuse" (at least i felt abused as a tank) of this bug was after they switched from Emain to Agramon as the main rvr zone.
Arga stayed the main rvr zone for quite some time and the staff experimented a lot with different setups of towers/keeps in and around the Agra zone.
The bug was just the fact that the ichor RA lasted for the full duration of the spell - neither resists (not sure about that) nor det had any effect on the duration you had to endure that spell (i can't remember if you could purge ichor back then - never used purge on my merc during that time the typical spec was charge2 as much det as possible and the rest in mopain lw1).
It wasn't until this time we discovered it, because rarely anyone would spec ichor - it was just too much points - everyone was low rr and in the early years of uthgard there was much less rp gain (less players and less rp/kill which was changed later).
Suddenly at least one Hib group appeared with 3VWs and guess what... all with ichor3.
I usally spent around 1min30s just standing around and trying to rupt some casters/healers with my stupid bow and the VW dmg output wasn't to bad either... Fights against sucht grps were close but if i remember correctly we lost most of them.
I don't wanna brag, but i think i used to be in one of the better alb grps (well ok there weren't many other alb grps ;p) and it was basically impossible to deal with such grps (different setups weren't a option ... you had one main char - lvling up a new one and getting it ready for rvr just took too much time).

Another fun rvr encounter was the "god" svg. Still during Agra times there were a few players who discovered that after respeccing your RA's you didn't lose stats like str/con as long as you didn't relog.
I'm not sure but i think in combination with duping a lot of RA stones at least one player made his char godlike and went to Agra with it.
Well after that, the char and player got banned quickly (im not sure but i think it took at most 1-2 days until the staff caught up to it).
What followed was a huge upset - the discovery of a "dupe ring". A lot of popular/known players got perma banned (mainly mid players).

One last thing which kinda affected rvr was probably one of the worst staff decisions during my active time on uthgard.
There was this one mob(Kez) in the alb dragon-zone which was perma farmed because it dropped a bracer with a good utility -probably every alb on uth had one or two in their temps.
One time the staff discovered that is was not "live-like" - the bracer had one resist type to much compared to the live version (if i remember correctly 8%heat - if you were ever involved in making a sc you know how much 8% actually is).
Instead of keeping old bracers as they were and making them untradeable they just removed the one stat from all bracers ever dropped.
They introduced refund merchants in order to "clean stats" of a crafted piece and granted little gold for every cleaned piece. If i remember correctly you were also able to sell the old bracer for 500g to the same npc? - Anyways it was just not enough for all the effort you have to put in planning a temp, getting the items, ...
They just destroyed nearly all alb temps over night and blamed it partially on the players because nobody informed them earlier.

Just a few of my highlights regarding bugs which affected the rvr during my time on uthgard.
I enjoyed playing here a lot and met a lot of nice ppl.
I started playing daoc on uthgard but switched to live servers(EU) because more ppl where playing there and the fact of the greater variety of 8v8 opponents - on uth you had maybe 1-2 regular grps during EU prime time.
-necator

Awesome post, thank you for sharing Necator. I had no idea about any of these issues...I would love to have seen the tent stacking!

Oldtimers, or newertimers with good stories to share...this is your place! All is welcome. ;)

Alpha

Foneb
Eagle Knight

Postby Foneb » Oct 22, 2014 23:28

Ijust uses my tent at amg gates to blocktroll my own realmmate groups xD...
Hiois - Ranger 9lX Uth 1.0
Hiois - Enchanter 6lx Uth 2.0
Mugad - Warden 4lx Uth 2.0
Esigil - Druid 3lx Uth 2.0
Hioisx - Nightshade 1lx Uth 2.0

Akip
Alerion Knight

Postby Akip » Oct 23, 2014 03:24

Agramon was fun :D teleport to the labyrinth towers, Central keep, random appearing keep walls, moc1 spread heal, good old times :(

Vashna
Myrmidon

Postby Vashna » Oct 23, 2014 22:08

Akip wrote:Agramon was fun :D teleport to the labyrinth towers, Central keep, random appearing keep walls, moc1 spread heal, good old times :(

+1

Caemma
Phoenix Knight

Postby Caemma » Oct 24, 2014 01:14

Alphaone wrote:Awesome post, thank you for sharing Necator. I had no idea about any of these issues...I would love to have seen the tent stacking!

Oldtimers, or newertimers with good stories to share...this is your place! All is welcome. ;)

Alpha

You are welcome!
Image Image

Anyway, i can say that was nice to sometimes slip into enemy realms... but used it just to hook up girls of course! :D
There was a time when Uthgard 1.0 existed and maaaany toons and arrpees arose... but now:
ImageImageImage

Jarqo
Eagle Knight

Postby Jarqo » Oct 24, 2014 08:46

Caemma wrote:
Alphaone wrote:Awesome post, thank you for sharing Necator. I had no idea about any of these issues...I would love to have seen the tent stacking!

Alpha

You are welcome!
Image Image

Anyway, i can say that was nice to sometimes slip into enemy realms... but used it just to hook up girls of course! :D

I always knew that mids love to cheat/bugabuse :P
Best Sniper Ranger on Uthgard since 2007.
Looking for maps? Try http://jarqo91.wix.com/daoccamps

Qntal
Warder

Postby Qntal » Oct 24, 2014 13:02

Necator, I remember all these good old times. Just loved it. Back in the day, when Uth was so fun to explore even though it was so broken.

Once there was a situation where I played pac healer against a hib group. On inc both me and the bard used insta mezzes and actually both casts landed - I guess it was server lag. Both Pac healer and bard were standing in mezz at the same time. Weird - but fun.

Another thing on mid (I think I actually recorded it): While standing afk in mtk I got a group invite from a friend. When I came back (must have been an hour or so) I accepted the invite and got put in a group with a VW. Both of us obviously flabbergasted, we invited more players from hib and mid and tried to form a proper group. Would have to check the video what happened after that... (guess there was no inc :D).

When I started to play my sorc I remember there was a fight (good old Agra days, best time actually) in which our cleric tried to get rid of a tank by lagjumping. He was running DAoC on a very old computer. Long story short: he was killed by his own lagjumping with just one jump. Lots of frustration back then, now all the more fun to think about.

There was also a lot of crooked game mechanics back in the day. I remember us running through Agramon on mid side with five healers, two shamans and a savage killing everything that was out. Also those quite common three healers, shaman, four savages groups (maybe, but just maybe, a skald for speed or a bd for lagjumping) versus bard, three druids, warden, three bms or the like. Savages were bugged as their haste shout stacked with healers haste AND celerity. Healers used to spec moc1 for spreadhealing - self-target spells were not affected by the effect reduction.

I guess I've seen quite a lot and been with Uthgard for quite some time. I even remember the gold farming on Yarley's Farm in 2004 (was it?) when the server was still running as a pvp shard. Also the big zerg fights in front of Dun Crauchan - that was NF Emain, before even Agramon. The old and easy to kill dragons. I remember the day that Gatekeeper Drommel wouldn't let any of get to Legion - he just onehitting everyone. We had to rush through and ress the whole lot with one healer doing his rr5. That was close!

I guess it's time again to take a peek into all these folders with screenshots and videos :D

Foneb
Eagle Knight

Postby Foneb » Oct 24, 2014 15:08

I Remember the time i pulled the channolor from atk to crimthain.. Almost raided a keep that way.. Sadly abydos answered my callgm in time. After that the channelor wasnt pullable anymore:cry:
Hiois - Ranger 9lX Uth 1.0
Hiois - Enchanter 6lx Uth 2.0
Mugad - Warden 4lx Uth 2.0
Esigil - Druid 3lx Uth 2.0
Hioisx - Nightshade 1lx Uth 2.0

Akip
Alerion Knight

Postby Akip » Oct 24, 2014 18:10

I still remember when we raided Albion home lands, after running through the frontiers for what felt like ages as my playing times were very limited back then. Just charging through the border keep and being able to bind at the hostile bind stones. Some actually very angry gm stopped and insta killed us in front of Camelot city xD being lvl 20 or so those lvl 50 horses at the stablemaster were quite scary lol. First time I got jailed :D

-l- Edgtho -l-
Gryphon Knight

Postby -l- Edgtho -l- » Nov 05, 2014 10:39

i still can remember some funny things from agra times where kestral and me played ns+ranger (Dam´N + Add Me)

- since pbaoe spells worked on dead people aswell, a thane named stahlhagel always wasted his WoC3 on his dead realm buddies while searching for us.

- the agramon port was first times in small tent camps where u were able to kill afk people from range and no guard was doing something.

- also on agramon times, people with sickness gave full amount of rps, in combination with the lotm tower porters we made huge amounts of rps while killing whole FG´s :) always when someone ported into this towers we were able to see that and the ns walked into the tower which also broke the porter. fastly he killed the sick enemy and walked out of the porter font while i was still rupting the port . after ns was restealthed and new poisioned we started the whole thing new ... it took a long time for the enemys to check this and we got chased from mosbot groups a long time after this :D

- also on agramon the milegates were linked to towers, when you owned your realm tower your gate was closed and you were safe behind. dam & add loved to swim around the island to get behind the walls and kill all people which felt safe :P
also seyha loved to catch people in the milegates to volley them to heaven :D

- i also remember the day where blue fixed the block rates the first time, a whole day my ranger was able to parry and use the great after parry styles :)

- a funny happening on agramon was when i leveled with some friends from mid side and i just wanted to test if celerety breaks sos on uth... i called for sos in ts and casted celerety... exactly in this moment a "trauben" trio came along and tried to mezz us. timing ftw! :)

- the old NF emain rvr looked quite similar to the agramon setting, 3random towers where you could port into with DC as main keep + 4 towers & random level spots

p.s. : as kestral started to play his BM freeakazoid, ip and charge had the same animation, which he often used to confuse enemies :D at the start of a fight he throwed ip (which he kept since no dmg yet) and the enemy tanks dindt tried to slam until they believed that charge is gone... now when they tried to slam him he just throw charge :) this was rly effective in 1on1s

Celteen
Alerion Knight

Postby Celteen » Nov 05, 2014 11:02

I remember logging in on Uthgard 6 years ago and deleting my chars after three hours because of bugs everywhere and it wasn't daoc - just like Genesis nowadays :oops:
<<< This avatar is handmade by Inotor Wurzelbert : )
Check out the Mampfer-Threads for more.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25079
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26934

Next

Return to General Topics