Romu won

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
User avatar
Roby5869
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 96
Joined: May 01, 2013 23:54
Location: Italy

Postby Roby5869 » Apr 20, 2022 23:37

Finally, after 5 years run Romu has won. This daoc keep taking simulator is at an end, no more keep for Romu tonite and no more in the past 2 nights. Game over.
Image

Wakefield
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Aug 17, 2017 09:57

Postby Wakefield » Apr 21, 2022 00:27

Realm switch timer maybe?
Wakefield 50 Rej Cleric
Thaddea 50 Sight Necro
Misswhiplash 48 Reaver
On Holiday!
We Play for Keeps


Wakefeld 26 Druid

Rudra
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Jan 23, 2019 19:58

Postby Rudra » Apr 21, 2022 09:17

Hello,
As already mentioned, the current situation was to be expected.
Most of the players from Hibernia are gone and will not be coming back unless there are some changes on the server. The remaining players do a little PvE or crafting.
But I don't think you can blame Romu for that.
Romu is the one who has been organizing and setting something up on the server for years.
It is much more due to the players (realm change or other activities) and the fact that there are no changes on the server.

Greetings
Irela/Rudra/Partymonster

Rendiviel
Gryphon Knight
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Sep 21, 2012 05:45

Postby Rendiviel » Apr 21, 2022 16:11

"Don't like it? Leave!"

The mindset that killed Uthgard. QOL was too slow to come, and people are not interested in playing a 'true classic' server. I bring up Uthgard 1 as a shining example of what this server SHOULD have become. Enough balance to feel fair, enough QOL to feel fresh, and enough unique areas that you couldn't get in any other server.

Tajendi was one of the most unique DAoC experiences I got on Uthgard. It felt like what TAO should have been, it provided items that were desirable, and it created a PVE experience that felt like a unique raid. The story was well crafted and well thought out, the quest was enjoyable, and it really felt like a great addition.

Buff barrels got removed. QOL was removed and it made soloing feel more difficult. Yes, it was a bit excessive to have 100 charges in a single item, but it was also quite the investment for both time and cost. It stimulated the crafting economy.

Tajendi was removed and items were nerfed to decay. This was what *REALLY* upset me back on Uthgard 1. I continued playing, but time and time again, changes were made to reduce QOL, not improve it.

Exp rates were never adjusted to be enjoyable. The current rates feel like they're pretty good! But that took the population dropping below 100 people.

Teleporters were removed from the main cities. We STILL don't have porters in the main cities.

Realm Abilities felt better with New RAs. I get the drive to keep things classic, but New RAs were just simply superior from a balancing perspective. Why should Albion be the only realm with SOS? Why should Midgard be the only realm with Static Tempest (and a crappier version of what was on Uthgard 1)? Why remove RR5 abilities that were seen as a unique milestone? Again, the goal was a truly 'classic' experience, and that's EXACTLY what you got. You went classic, and the server died, and it's working as intended.

Am I saying I would do things differently? Sure, but you cannot keep everyone happy. I am among the few that still regularly logs in, levels alts, and occasionally keeptakes on Midgard. But would I recommend this server to someone new to DAoC? ****** no, because the overall experience is so ****** to a casual player. I have played Uth 2 since the launch, almost entirely on Midgard. I have nearly every crafter completed now. I produce my own armor, weapons, SC work, alchi procs, and design my own templates. I wouldn't even be capable of leveling a melee alt without creating them a full suit of armor and weapons, adding SC gems, and giving them potions to make leveling easier. The time investment necessary to make leveling feel "alright" is way too high for most people. It just makes me sad for how far Uthgard has fallen.

User avatar
Roby5869
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 96
Joined: May 01, 2013 23:54
Location: Italy

Postby Roby5869 » Apr 21, 2022 16:19

Rudra wrote:Hello,...
But I don't think you can blame Romu for that.
Romu is the one who has been organizing and setting something up on the server for years.
It is much more due to the players (realm change or other activities) and the fact that there are no changes on the server.

Greetings


I don't blame him actually, i was ironic about him the real problem is elsewhere.
Image

User avatar
Roby5869
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 96
Joined: May 01, 2013 23:54
Location: Italy

Postby Roby5869 » Apr 21, 2022 16:22

Rendiviel wrote:"Don't like it? Leave!"

The mindset that killed Uthgard. QOL was too slow to come, and people are not interested in playing a 'true classic' server. I bring up Uthgard 1 as a shining example of what this server SHOULD have become. Enough balance to feel fair, enough QOL to feel fresh, and enough unique areas that you couldn't get in any other server.

Tajendi was one of the most unique DAoC experiences I got on Uthgard. It felt like what TAO should have been, it provided items that were desirable, and it created a PVE experience that felt like a unique raid. The story was well crafted and well thought out, the quest was enjoyable, and it really felt like a great addition.

Buff barrels got removed. QOL was removed and it made soloing feel more difficult. Yes, it was a bit excessive to have 100 charges in a single item, but it was also quite the investment for both time and cost. It stimulated the crafting economy.

Tajendi was removed and items were nerfed to decay. This was what *REALLY* upset me back on Uthgard 1. I continued playing, but time and time again, changes were made to reduce QOL, not improve it.

Exp rates were never adjusted to be enjoyable. The current rates feel like they're pretty good! But that took the population dropping below 100 people.

Teleporters were removed from the main cities. We STILL don't have porters in the main cities.

Realm Abilities felt better with New RAs. I get the drive to keep things classic, but New RAs were just simply superior from a balancing perspective. Why should Albion be the only realm with SOS? Why should Midgard be the only realm with Static Tempest (and a crappier version of what was on Uthgard 1)? Why remove RR5 abilities that were seen as a unique milestone? Again, the goal was a truly 'classic' experience, and that's EXACTLY what you got. You went classic, and the server died, and it's working as intended.

Am I saying I would do things differently? Sure, but you cannot keep everyone happy. I am among the few that still regularly logs in, levels alts, and occasionally keeptakes on Midgard. But would I recommend this server to someone new to DAoC? ****** no, because the overall experience is so ****** to a casual player. I have played Uth 2 since the launch, almost entirely on Midgard. I have nearly every crafter completed now. I produce my own armor, weapons, SC work, alchi procs, and design my own templates. I wouldn't even be capable of leveling a melee alt without creating them a full suit of armor and weapons, adding SC gems, and giving them potions to make leveling easier. The time investment necessary to make leveling feel "alright" is way too high for most people. It just makes me sad for how far Uthgard has fallen.


Uthgard 1 was a very good server with 12 years of life all along. Wiping every toon was a glorious mistake. None can wipe a 12 year effort like that and hope all ppl come back to a new server. But as i said the problem is elsewhere.
Image

User avatar
Abydos
Game Master
Game Master
 
Posts: 6815
Joined: Jan 22, 2011 21:14

Postby Abydos » Apr 21, 2022 21:57

Or, the game is over 20 years old and people like different stuff now.

Just to clarify Ren's points - For the people that say people quit because of barrel removal, that just isnt the case. In fact, about 3 months after that change Uthgard 1 had a sustained period of about 6 months of continually setting record population numbers (both average, peak, and NA).

Just remember its important to preface things with "In my opinion, *I* didnt like [xzy]" rather than "The reason is " ... when you can't make those claims.

User avatar
Satiah
Eagle Knight
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Jun 30, 2012 15:14

Postby Satiah » Apr 21, 2022 22:50

Abydos wrote:Or, the game is over 20 years old and people like different stuff now.


DAoC still is one of the best PvP game there is. The real reason is that there is no gm/dev activity. Bug fixes, world build (SI), events.
Satiah | Tuthmes | Dendera | Khufu | Nefertete | Dahshur | Nebetah | Neterbaiu

User avatar
Roby5869
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 96
Joined: May 01, 2013 23:54
Location: Italy

Postby Roby5869 » Apr 22, 2022 04:18

Satiah wrote:
Abydos wrote:Or, the game is over 20 years old and people like different stuff now.


DAoC still is one of the best PvP game there is. The real reason is that there is no gm/dev activity. Bug fixes, world build (SI), events.


Agree, the problem is elsewhere IMO, but to find it someone must admit the problem in the first place.
Image

Nakja
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Jan 16, 2011 08:41

Postby Nakja » Apr 22, 2022 08:12

Satiah wrote:DAoC still is one of the best PvP game there is. The real reason is that there is no gm/dev activity. Bug fixes, world build (SI), events.


This man speaks truth. Give him a job.
Gwyneth, Gwynefer, Naiba, Takhi, Gwyntreth, Starlet

User avatar
fremster
Eagle Knight
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Aug 10, 2010 00:00

Postby fremster » Apr 22, 2022 12:42

Satiah wrote:
Abydos wrote:Or, the game is over 20 years old and people like different stuff now.


DAoC still is one of the best PvP game there is. The real reason is that there is no gm/dev activity. Bug fixes, world build (SI), events.


Actually, summer time is coming and people.... ahha ok i can't even.

Satiah is sadly 100% correct. It was good while it lasted. Thanks @Abydos for doing your part (and putting up with us).

Allyk123
Warder
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Dec 18, 2019 01:53

Postby Allyk123 » Apr 22, 2022 20:59

Completely understand all points. More GM activity may help but from my experience over the past few years it is the same 2/3 GM's i see most active

Is it possible that some of the oldest and more experienced players could contribute where the GM's cannot ? (assuming they wanted to that is)

The XP change has been fantastic.... and the RP event last summer/autumn was highly enjoyable Such simple things could help rejuvenate the players

Filters
Gryphon Knight
 
Posts: 219
Joined: May 31, 2013 13:40

Postby Filters » May 06, 2022 20:57

Abydos wrote:Or, the game is over 20 years old and people like different stuff now.

Just to clarify Ren's points - For the people that say people quit because of barrel removal, that just isnt the case. In fact, about 3 months after that change Uthgard 1 had a sustained period of about 6 months of continually setting record population numbers (both average, peak, and NA).

Just remember its important to preface things with "In my opinion, *I* didnt like [xzy]" rather than "The reason is " ... when you can't make those claims.


What about revamp the glorious uth1 server whit old char on all account ? I know a lot of people would come beck
there are none so deaf as those who will not hear

Wakefield
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Aug 17, 2017 09:57

Postby Wakefield » May 08, 2022 20:01

Well, live is running the doppelganger event to try get people to play there.

Will Uthgard be implementing ANYTHING to entice players?
Wakefield 50 Rej Cleric
Thaddea 50 Sight Necro
Misswhiplash 48 Reaver
On Holiday!
We Play for Keeps


Wakefeld 26 Druid

bm01
Gryphon Knight
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Jan 23, 2017 20:53

Postby bm01 » May 10, 2022 07:46

Wakefield wrote:Well, live is running the doppelganger event to try get people to play there.

Well if that's the purpose of the event, it's not working. In fact you don't make people return by offering them free RP (especially since you have to pay a sub fee for that due to EC accounts having a 60 realm skill points restriction). The reason they left doesn't have anything to do with RP. It isn't like a Korean MMO with slow XP having XP events.


Return to General Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron

Monday, 16. May 2022

Artwork and screen shots Copyright © 2001-2004 Mythic Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. Used with permission of Mythic Entertainment. Mythic Entertainment, the Mythic Entertainment logo, "Dark Age of Camelot," "Shrouded Isles," "Foundations," "New Frontiers," "Trials of Atlantis," "Catacombs," "Darkness Rising," the Dark Age of Camelot and subsequent logos, and the stylized Celtic knot are trademarks of Mythic Entertainment, Inc.

Valid XHTML & CSS | Original Design by: LernVid.com | Modified by Uthgard Staff