Why this server is not working for me

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Pelleas
Guardian
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mar 22, 2015 13:41

Postby Pelleas » Mar 29, 2021 21:52

Dear Community,

Yesterday I rolled a fighter and levelled it to 7 today. For more than 3 hours I was lfg to find someone in order not having to grind alone. I direct messaged people, most of the time no response at all. The one response I got (from a char 3 levels higher than me) said "better tasking alone, yields the most XP at your level, when not Pl". Yes, I could task and play the game alone - but this is not what I am expecting from a MMORPG. It's a pity, I thought I would give the game a try again after so many (more than 15 actually..) years. I thought that there might be a nice community of veterans that see the chance of getting some fresh blood on this server. I was wrong.

So I say good bye again.
lvl 7 Paladin, RR0

P.S. to be fair, yesterday was promising: i messaged a lvl 50 Paladin who was so kind to answer my (newby) questions and offered further support. But it would require some more to bring the population up again - I wrote a post over 5 years ago, maybe I try again in 5 years...

User avatar
fremster
Eagle Knight
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Aug 10, 2010 00:00

Postby fremster » Mar 29, 2021 23:12

The server is not in a position that welcomes new - or the majority of returning players - for the reasons your stated and more.

I can't speak for Alb or Mid, but Hib has a community built around 1 alliance and anyone who plays is welcome. It's unlikey you will find an xp group with comrades around your level, but on Hib there is PL groups nearly every day that people can join (EU time). The alliance is actually the source of everything... pl/xp, rvr, mob farms (rvr dungeons, summoners hall, glacier giant, green knight etc).

Shenyen
Warder
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mar 09, 2018 03:43

Postby Shenyen » Mar 30, 2021 01:06

Hiya :)

It might have been my pally - at least I try to contact all the low level toons that I see if I have a bit of time and offer support^^

The population of Uthgard is very low, there's now denying that.
That makes it very hard to start here, there are other servers (other freeshards and also the live servers) that will offer a much higher playerbase and way more opportunities to level in actual xping groups.

We - or at least I, but I know others are doing similar things - try to help as good as we can, but that still means that it's unlikely we'll just take you to Lyonesse, group you with a necromancer and get you to lvl 50 in a day.
Playing here will always be more of a pain than elsewhere, with at least a certain amount of soloing.
Contact other players and ask if you can join a guild - Albion has a large alliance with all active guilds in it and if you ask for a group in ally-chat, there's a much higher chance of actually forming a group or maybe getting a spot sitting next to a necromancer - much higher than just hoping a group of lvl 6-8 players will magically form :)
Also: The lower levels are actually easier to do tasking than with a group - just do 6 tasks at lvl 6, kill a few mobs on the side and *DING*, you're lvl 7.

Aaaannd: Yeah, this game is hard and new players often leave very quickly - it's an old game from different times and this server is even more niche than other DAoC-servers - So we're also kinda used to new people showing up, to never return again.
(You wouldn't believe how many unique drops I (and therefore also the realm itself) have lost because I gave them newbies who disappeared days later)
Please push through the first hard hours, to show you're to be trusted to actually stay in this game for a bit longer :P


Hope this explained a few things :)

Shenyen (Sihunjan, Daruul, Neyesh, Gethzerion etc...)
Shenyen
Sihunjan
Corvette
Others

User avatar
fremster
Eagle Knight
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Aug 10, 2010 00:00

Postby fremster » Mar 30, 2021 18:27

Yep, the same old issue. Everyone would prefer to play Uthgard... just not until there is population... oO

albeyond
Gryphon Knight
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Apr 03, 2017 19:29

Postby albeyond » Mar 30, 2021 20:19

fremster wrote:Yep, the same old issue. Everyone would prefer to play Uthgard... just not until there is population... oO


Population won't bring itself back. GMs need to make sweeping changes. Otherwise this is the best this server will be

User avatar
Shalindra
Warder
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Feb 20, 2012 20:35
Location: Dayton, Oh

Postby Shalindra » Mar 31, 2021 04:42

I understand folks have a problem with the low population and the classic xp rates, actually i think it is a little bit better than what 1.65 was. I enjoy a well built server, I enjoy the quests and classic game play. I honestly leveled most my characters solo when i was on live ages ago anyway. I have watched as the GNs of this server have done their best to produce a server true to their vision along with some perks. Everyone plays differently and I wish you well on what ever server you go to, but for me, I will continue giving my time to Uthgard.

Roxxor
Gryphon Knight
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Feb 01, 2008 01:00

Postby Roxxor » Mar 31, 2021 14:24

Not had a problem with slow xp progress, to be serious, i loved it!
On Uthgard i had 2 50er in only 1 realm and on the burning bird i have 12 50er in 1 realm and 3 on other two.
I like the slow progress, its the best protection for crossrealming and my classes i play are more contstant.

My problems with Uthgard are in other parts:
1. Patchpoint > Logic & Playernumbers
2. No QoL (Porter, /train command, portstone, horses, speeder, /craftqueue command, harp, better port)
3. Adviceresistance of staff after month of complaining and dropping numbers

I loved Pokémon or Kicker´s in german television when i was a child.
Not anymore bc i am grown man and developed myself, so my entertainment-need is.

Uthgard 2 was a funny experiment, but its obvious not worked.
Wishing Uthgard can get up and be more attractive with QoL, events, wise balancing and stuff.
And ofc, we need the serverboss and not his secreterians.
Danke Uthgard für 10 Jahre
Sent: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:01 am
From: Abydos
To: Roxxor

If you arent having fun just stop posting. No need to ****** post on the forum. Go outside and enjoy the sunshine.
------------------
I am posting here because i have no fun and tried to rescue Uthgard.
Finally i did it like half of staff, i gave up...

User avatar
Wakanidoo
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Oct 01, 2016 18:58

Postby Wakanidoo » Apr 01, 2021 13:37

Hey Roxxor, a bit of nostalgy ? :)

Just to say, slow, very slow xp is no longer a problem for me, i simply cant play anymore, look at this post:
https://www.uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=48179

Support? what is it ?

And for you Roxxor, time to update your signature:
- ------------------
- I am posting here because i have no fun and tried to rescue Uthgard.
- Finally i did it like half of staff, i gave up...

change it for the whole

|
|
V
We are here to help *you*
Alcyon: UK; Abydos: US; Baldrug: DE; Blue: DE; Cirdan: US; Crucible: US; Decidon: US;
Genjiro: DE; Gnome: US; Juna: DE; Nayru: DE; Trishin: UK; Rajnish: US

The Uthgard Staff are always here!

User avatar
Amolin
Gryphon Knight
 
Posts: 286
Joined: May 09, 2016 17:23

Postby Amolin » Apr 02, 2021 16:11

The only way they're going to get a population back is to do a whole new relaunch and announce an overhaul to their entire approach and do a big show of "turning over a new leaf".

People may not like having a character wipe but it's very tolerable when everybody is starting a new toon together, the Uth2 relaunch was some of the most fun I had on this game and we were pulling in 1200-1500 players per day, there was a while there where it didn't have peak hours due to the international nature of the server it just stayed at those numbers.

There are a number of minor balance tweaks that the GMs have to accept and get over, I don't think XP rates are the issue and I think people are more than willing to tolerate classic rates as long as they have people to play with and a plethora of groups to jump into, I think the problems arise when you finally get into RVR, the issues always started there.

I just don't see how you can fix this without a server wipe and without the "fixes" it's just going to happen again.

There's definitely demand though, as of writing this I'm seeing nearly 1,000 people (975) guests flipping through the forums.
Realm: Albion
Class: Armsman

albeyond
Gryphon Knight
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Apr 03, 2017 19:29

Postby albeyond » Apr 02, 2021 19:35

Amolin wrote:The only way they're going to get a population back is to do a whole new relaunch and announce an overhaul to their entire approach and do a big show of "turning over a new leaf".

People may not like having a character wipe but it's very tolerable when everybody is starting a new toon together, the Uth2 relaunch was some of the most fun I had on this game and we were pulling in 1200-1500 players per day, there was a while there where it didn't have peak hours due to the international nature of the server it just stayed at those numbers.

There are a number of minor balance tweaks that the GMs have to accept and get over, I don't think XP rates are the issue and I think people are more than willing to tolerate classic rates as long as they have people to play with and a plethora of groups to jump into, I think the problems arise when you finally get into RVR, the issues always started there.

I just don't see how you can fix this without a server wipe and without the "fixes" it's just going to happen again.

There's definitely demand though, as of writing this I'm seeing nearly 1,000 people (975) guests flipping through the forums.


100% This

Clanggedin
Warder
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Jun 05, 2011 12:34

Postby Clanggedin » May 01, 2021 16:01

Think about it OP. The only people that are left on the server are the people who love to SOLO and do everything on their own. I'm a soloer myself, so I know the mindset.

wachawacha
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Oct 13, 2019 19:45

Postby wachawacha » May 02, 2021 00:51

Pelleas wrote:Dear Community,

Yesterday I rolled a fighter and levelled it to 7 today. For more than 3 hours I was lfg to find someone in order not having to grind alone. I direct messaged people, most of the time no response at all. The one response I got (from a char 3 levels higher than me) said "better tasking alone, yields the most XP at your level, when not Pl". Yes, I could task and play the game alone - but this is not what I am expecting from a MMORPG. It's a pity, I thought I would give the game a try again after so many (more than 15 actually..) years. I thought that there might be a nice community of veterans that see the chance of getting some fresh blood on this server. I was wrong.

So I say good bye again.
lvl 7 Paladin, RR0

P.S. to be fair, yesterday was promising: i messaged a lvl 50 Paladin who was so kind to answer my (newby) questions and offered further support. But it would require some more to bring the population up again - I wrote a post over 5 years ago, maybe I try again in 5 years...

I like leveling up with people on Mid, but few people ever get on to level or timezone differences. Log onto mid and I'll help next sat

Thatsamdude
Warder
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Feb 26, 2020 02:02

Postby Thatsamdude » May 04, 2021 12:18

We need a NEW PLAYER EVENT.

1 week of solid +100% exp rate.. the server would be flooded.

And if you don't try t how will you know :P

Just saying, open up that fastlane so the 50 players on every weekend can be 500 instead...

have a lovely day all <3

Kayd
Warder
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Feb 10, 2011 06:31

Postby Kayd » May 14, 2021 03:05

I keep dropping by about once per month to see if anything has changed. I loved this game back in its day, but it needs to make some changes if it wants a second life. PvP (solo or team) in most MMOGs is dying hard; this is why 95+% new content in games is PvE/Co-op. Unless you really have the time to put in and "get good" (hardcore player), most of your PvP experience will be running into either 1. cheaters or 2. players against whom you have zero chance. After many years learning this truth, MMOG players have largely thrown in the towel on PvP. Not saying that DAoC should become a pure PvE game, but it needs some PvE realm rank advancement options for those who prefer PvE challenges while perhaps only dabbling in a realm war from time to time. At the current state of the game, when you hit 50 it feels like you hit a brick wall with no real way to advance further in a reasonable amount of time so players leave for other games that offer a more fulfilling experience after hitting level 50 here.

Ebbie
Myrmidon
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Oct 27, 2017 03:08

Postby Ebbie » May 14, 2021 16:01

Kayd wrote: Not saying that DAoC should become a pure PvE game, but it needs some PvE realm rank advancement options for those who prefer PvE challenges while perhaps only dabbling in a realm war from time to time. At the current state of the game, when you hit 50 it feels like you hit a brick wall with no real way to advance further in a reasonable amount of time so players leave for other games that offer a more fulfilling experience after hitting level 50 here.


I agree with Kayd.

What ever happened to the idea of RPs for Keep / Relic Door Repairs? From what I heard the Player Council and Dev team approved its implementation. It would make a lot of sense with the current meta of the game being keep / relic takes. I can imagine if there were RPs for repairs that all relics doors would be 100% closed even when not holding a relic, merchant keeps might even have lvl 10 doors, and regular keeps would all be at least lvl 4 or 5. This would in turn make the keep takers happy. In turn making the keep defenders happy. Everyone wins.

I'm curious what the values would have been if it was implemented, mind telling us that?
lvl 1 door repair = 1 rp
lvl 1 door upgrade to 2 = 2 rp
etc..

Next

Return to General Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

Friday, 25. June 2021

Artwork and screen shots Copyright © 2001-2004 Mythic Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. Used with permission of Mythic Entertainment. Mythic Entertainment, the Mythic Entertainment logo, "Dark Age of Camelot," "Shrouded Isles," "Foundations," "New Frontiers," "Trials of Atlantis," "Catacombs," "Darkness Rising," the Dark Age of Camelot and subsequent logos, and the stylized Celtic knot are trademarks of Mythic Entertainment, Inc.

Valid XHTML & CSS | Original Design by: LernVid.com | Modified by Uthgard Staff