Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

General Topics on Dark Age of Camelot/Uthgard
Plywood
Warder

Postby Plywood » May 13, 2019 21:35

The Monty Python song "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" keeps going through my mind. With that, let's look at the upsides of a low server population.

1. No Eight Man "Leet" Groups! Yeah, no more wondering if I am actually "allowed" to kill a red name. Good riddance. If it's red, it's dead.
2. Can XP in frontiers more easily
3. Between the low population and enhancements in frontier travel, I can actually get out to meet my group without getting ganked 3 feet out from the frontier border keeps.
4. Groups always have room, and are happy to have you no matter what class you are playing. If there are seven people logged on in the realm, there will be room!
5. The best spawn places are never camped.
6. You can take a relic with 7 people or a keep with 3 (or fewer, but that is the lowest I experienced.)
7. You really appreciate anyone you come across. Always a wave or a buff when passing someone.
8. Better housing spots opening up (but not quite sure how to move easily)
9. Still have some great RVR battles

Any others?

Sure, I'd rather have a population of 1000, but if that cannot be the case "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life". I am still having fun.

(I didn't link the video to the song because some people may find it offensive, but if you don't know the reference you can do a DuckDuckGo search.)

Raku
Myrmidon

Postby Raku » May 14, 2019 20:25

That's what I call "Pragmatic optimism" 8)

Warjon
Gryphon Knight

Postby Warjon » May 15, 2019 01:09

Just flip the switch on the xp multiplier for all levels and I would be on. Quite simple really.

madskaizer
Gryphon Knight

Postby madskaizer » May 15, 2019 15:16

It is a very friendly atmosphere living at the moment, that is for sure.

I met a new player to Uthgard today, I offered him some gold to get him going. But he thanked me no, he was there to re-live the harsh start of classic as it was at release.
Uthgard 2.0 auto-bestiary Zones, maps, monsters, locations, items, drop rates and statistics.
DAoC game mechanics information templates, realm ranks, spell dmg type, melee speed, blocking, exp/group calculation

Chia
Warder

Postby Chia » May 15, 2019 15:26

Warjon wrote:Just flip the switch on the xp multiplier for all levels and I would be on. Quite simple really.

Group Bonus Experience
We want to encourage you to build groups and getting into groups easier. There will be a new group bonus depending on how many players are in the group. This bonus stacks with any BAF bonus (Bring a Friend bonus) and will be listed at the same place after a kill. You will see group bonuses of up to +50% XP which will also leverage any other bonuses which come after it.

2 Players 5%
3 Players 15%
4 Players 25%
5 Players 35%
6 Players 40%
7 Players 45%
8 Players 50%

Zone Bonuses
We changed the XP bonuses that will apply to certain zones. In parenthesis you see the combined bonus a full group will see in these zones at a minimum.

+25% XP in Darkness Falls (+87.5%)
+25% XP in Frontiers (+87.5%, around realm owned keep +115%, around guild keep +143%)
+30% XP in RvR dungeons (+95%)
+30% XP in Battlegrounds (+95%, around realm owned keep +124%, around guild keep +153%)

We prepared our Battlegrounds in a way that leveling should be possible in there. Mobs in there will drop RoG items.

Bonus to Tasks and Quests
We also change the experience you will see from quests and tasks.

+50% XP to Kill Tasks
+50% XP to Delivery Tasks
+50% XP to Quests

It's already on, or do you need more tissues? Wish more people were like OP :)

Satiah
Eagle Knight

Postby Satiah » May 15, 2019 16:37

Chia wrote:
Warjon wrote:Just flip the switch on the xp multiplier for all levels and I would be on. Quite simple really.

Group Bonus Experience
We want to encourage you to build groups and getting into groups easier. There will be a new group bonus depending on how many players are in the group. This bonus stacks with any BAF bonus (Bring a Friend bonus) and will be listed at the same place after a kill. You will see group bonuses of up to +50% XP which will also leverage any other bonuses which come after it.

2 Players 5%
3 Players 15%
4 Players 25%
5 Players 35%
6 Players 40%
7 Players 45%
8 Players 50%

Zone Bonuses
We changed the XP bonuses that will apply to certain zones. In parenthesis you see the combined bonus a full group will see in these zones at a minimum.

+25% XP in Frontiers (+87.5%, around realm owned keep +115%, around guild keep +143%)
+30% XP in Battlegrounds (+95%, around realm owned keep +124%, around guild keep +153%)

We prepared our Battlegrounds in a way that leveling should be possible in there. Mobs in there will drop RoG items.

+50% XP to Kill Tasks
+50% XP to Quests

It all requires a group to get these bonusses. Which is impossible to create currently. So yeah, there's that.

Also the added bonusses in the PvP zones aren't really a bonus if you take into account the downtime you have for the PvP death's you encounter with returning to the xp spot (if at all).
Satiah | Tuthmes | Dendera | Khufu | Nefertete | Dahshur | Nebetah | Neterbaiu

Rendiviel
Gryphon Knight

Postby Rendiviel » May 15, 2019 19:01

Satiah wrote:
Chia wrote:

Group Bonus Experience

2 Players 5%
3 Players 15%
4 Players 25%
5 Players 35%
6 Players 40%
7 Players 45%
8 Players 50%

Zone Bonuses

+50% XP to Kill Tasks
+50% XP to Quests

It all requires a group to get these bonusses. Which is impossible to create currently. So yeah, there's that.

Also the added bonusses in the PvP zones aren't really a bonus if you take into account the downtime you have for the PvP death's you encounter with returning to the xp spot (if at all).

Honestly? When I was leveling a zerker with a small group in the BGs, the exp was absurdly fast. A group with an aug healer, a shaman, 3-4 zerkers and a thane. We were overcapping exp and clearing out entire red/purp camps. The issue is now you won't ever find that many people.

Satiah
Eagle Knight

Postby Satiah » May 15, 2019 19:26

Well if you play as Midgard, this is a whole different game. Even Crimm Fins was considered a Mid xp spot.
Satiah | Tuthmes | Dendera | Khufu | Nefertete | Dahshur | Nebetah | Neterbaiu

Zetetic
Gryphon Knight

Postby Zetetic » May 15, 2019 21:30

Chia wrote:Wish more people were like OP :)

Same. I agree. :D

Malach
Myrmidon

Postby Malach » May 15, 2019 22:41

madskaizer wrote:It is a very friendly atmosphere living at the moment, that is for sure.

I met a new player to Uthgard today, I offered him some gold to get him going. But he thanked me no, he was there to re-live the harsh start of classic as it was at release.

That's insane, the last "new guy" I met (sometime last month) I asked to do a item transfer for me. I told him to log on each of his alts and come meet me, I gave each one of his toons 50 gold and I threw on top of that 250 emerald seals for his main.

Harsh classic start had people to group with, God be with that newber. The PVE is really good here but this is Everest for everything but necromancer if he's going solo.

trebbettes
Myrmidon

Postby trebbettes » May 16, 2019 13:40

5 gold for my newbie on Alb would go a long way if yall feeling generous. :lol:
I've decided to level a mini since at least i can get the pet to do all the work.
Unfortunately I got 0 positive responses to my alb leveling grp thread.
The enemy lined the shore in a dense armed mass.
Among them were black-robed women with disheveled hair like Furies, brandishing torches.
Close by stood Druids, raising their hands to heaven and screaming dreadful curses.

Wakanidoo
Myrmidon

Postby Wakanidoo » May 16, 2019 14:09

No body to help with a new character. Impossible to find/make a groupe.
So all bonuses already existing are totally useless.

Actually, the average for a runmaster (dark rm, supp rm or bolter) is 10s fight to kill a low yellow mob (without too many resists) then at least 30s sitting on the his ass to regen power. This is 25% playing and 75% waiting... What a great game ! 75% of the time not playing... The True DAoC Experience...
And for a tank class this its worse. I tried to level a warrior, I deleted that toon after level 20 when tasks ended. I dont remember exactly the average of fight/rest, but its around 10s fight 40s regen HP (20% playing, 80% not playing).

Its easy to know if a a player is soloing: this player dont get group buffs, speed, chant or anything of this kind from a healing/buffing class. And many other things as claim a keep and so.

So, its very easy (for a good programmer, but I seriously doubt this is the case here... ) to increase by 3x,4x or more the regen rate of HP/Power to make the exp faster, to have the player PLAYING and not stupidly watching the HP/Power bar not moving...

Another preaching in the desert...

Chia
Warder

Postby Chia » May 16, 2019 14:20

QQ , I responded with experience changes. People still focused on the part they could complain about, there is more than group xp changes in it. Makes me feel sad for the devs that have to put up with this after putting in so much hard work and giving you a very stable xperience absolutely FREE OF CHARGE.

And wakanidoo, you are an idiot if you think they are not good programmers. You do realize they built most of this code, unlike most freeshards that just use the DOL engine.

Plywood
Warder

Postby Plywood » May 16, 2019 17:12

Rendiviel wrote:

This is actually a very bright side. Whereas I used to go for an hour or two before being ganked, now I go a week or more if just running out to xp.

But on the other side, the group bonus is wasted when there are 5 people logged on total in the realm. It should have made the bonus across the board, especially solo. Grouping actually would be easier if they gave solo bonus as well... people would stay logged on longer if they could solo while waiting for others to log on to group with. Now, they see no one on an just log off rather than solo.

Plywood
Warder

Postby Plywood » May 16, 2019 17:38

Wakanidoo wrote:Actually, the average for a runmaster (dark rm, supp rm or bolter) is 10s fight to kill a low yellow mob (without too many resists) then at least 30s sitting on the his ass to regen power. This is 25% playing and 75% waiting... What a great game ! 75% of the time not playing... The True DAoC Experience...

You're doing it wrong. ;)

I found the Runemaster very easy to solo and group. With the new, easy 9 charge alchemy potions you should have no downtime at all. Go ahead and make yourself Power and Power regeneration potions. If not, I sell them at my house (1794) at cost. If you need some of a specific level just let me know and I will put some up. Same for any other potions you may need.

Also, make sure you have enough Focus on your staff and get MCL and Serenity when you can. Get some Power and Piety items as well. Really, you should not be having a downtime problem with the Runie.

Wakanidoo wrote:
So, its very easy (for a good programmer, but I seriously doubt this is the case here... ) to increase by 3x,4x or more the regen rate of HP/Power to make the exp faster, to have the player PLAYING and not stupidly watching the HP/Power bar not moving...

I respect the developers desire to not just put the game into "easy mode". Compared to the original EQ, this game is already pretty easy to level. I've got 8 lvl 50's in the three realms with some more getting close. Three of those were leveled almost entirely AFTER the population imploded (including the Runemaster).

I actually agree with most of their decisions. Either way, I don't think it merits giving them a cheap shot about their programming skills. This game is remarkably stable and with few bugs. In a world filled with game companies taking advantage of human psychology with loot boxes and micro transactions, this server is a breath of fresh air.

Return to General Topics