R³: Serenity & Manapool

Tutorials, general information about DAoC and useful links.
Rector
Alerion Knight

Postby Rector » Nov 03, 2018 15:34

R³: Rector's reliable research

I want to share the following information with all you inquisitive Uthgard players:

With serenity 1, my lvl 47 Bonedancer needed 2min 36s to reg from 0% to 100% while sitting.

With serenity 2, it takes approx. 9% less time, 2min 23s.

Still a lot :D

RRR_serenity.png

Info: This research is sponsored by Ormthwaite's Fine Weapons!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rector on Nov 09, 2018 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

shade
Eagle Knight

Postby shade » Nov 04, 2018 15:00

Might be of interest to mention your total Mana pool size.
“DAOC is not about what you can log. It's about what you can play :> ”

Uthgard 1.0: <Die Lettanten> Ivia - 8L8 Nightshade - Lone Enforcer since 8L1.
Uthgard 2.0: <Illuminated Stormriders> Oxy - Hero; Ivia - Nightshade.

Rector
Alerion Knight

Postby Rector » Nov 04, 2018 16:45

Any idea how to determine that?

shade
Eagle Knight

Postby shade » Nov 09, 2018 17:57

Most spells have an absolute power cost, not a percentual one. If using a 20 power cost spell reduces your mana pool by 5%, then 100% is ~400 (+- rounding errors).

To reduce the impact of rounding errors, you could use e.g. several spells with similar mana cost, like 17, 18, 19, 20. The point where the jump occurs can help you to determine a more accurate number: E.g. when the 17 spell costs 4%, but the 18 spell costs 5%, then 17.5 costs ~4.5% mana, meaning your total mana pool is roughly 17.5 / 0.045 = 389.
This is assuming that the displayed percentage number is rounded.

Rector
Alerion Knight

Postby Rector » Nov 09, 2018 22:22

Great method. Also, the focus staff has to be removed for that test.
RRR_manapool.png

The manapool of my lvl 48 (yes, lvlup :D ) bonedancer is 348 mana.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shade
Eagle Knight

Postby shade » Nov 10, 2018 13:29

UPDATE: I fixed a bug in copying your data :)

Hey, thanks for the data! :)

I quickly put the data you posted into a chart to get *definite* upper and lower bounds for the mana pool per spell, and get definite overall bounds (instead of the approximation by the middle value).

Assuming that the power pool percentage displayed is actually ROUNDED (up or down), the result looks like this:
rounded.jpg

This means that you power pool is between 318 and 320. The more spells you add to the chart (preferrably with high power consumption), the more likely you will be to tighten the boundaries.

Assuming that the displayed percentage is ROUNDED DOWN (always) e.g. a remaining power pool of 91% after one cast means that the spell costs anything between 8% and 9% power, the chart looks like this:
rounded_down.jpg

Meaning your powerpool is anywhere between 350 and 350 ;)

Note: I assume that you did always wait until your power is back up to 100% before casting the next spell. Otherwise, rounding errors might accumulate.

The best way to find out whether they are rounded down or rounded symmetrically is to quickly do multiple casts of one of the expensive spells, e.g. the one that costs 30 or 28 power, and add the overall result to the table. It might be necessary to repeat the test in case you get unlucky and the power is "ticking" in between the casts. At some point, one assumption (rounded or rounded down) will get contradicting while the other will not :)

Rector
Alerion Knight

Postby Rector » Nov 10, 2018 15:30

W00t. Now I have to call it Rector and Shade's reliable research! But yours is much more academic :D

Someone has to put that in some kind of web application or google table, so everyone can use it.

Btw, yes I always waited until the mana regged to full 100%.
I will check out the rounding question with multiple casts later.

Return to Tutorials