Mudfish.net - Cheap VPN - Uthgard Guide

Tutorials, general information about DAoC and useful links.
Budikah
Phoenix Knight

Postby Budikah » Apr 12, 2017 02:26

I figured I'd make this up, as this has helped me.

Mudfish.net essentially re-routes your traffic to a game client, hopefully improving your connectivity. It feels like it has helped for me, but your mileage may vary.

Cost : It's pay per traffic - so you pay for the data you use. The lowest you can pay is $3 USD for around 25-26GB's of data. DAoC does not use much data at all, so this should last you quite some time.

Setup : http://mudfish.net/download

1. Create an account
2. Download the client
3. Restart your computer
4. Login to Mudfish - RUN IN ADMINISTRATOR MODE
5. If you are using Windows 10, it will ask you what you want to do with the new network (Mudfish client acting as a new network connection) - I click yes, I don't think this step matters.

ON YOUR MUDFISH DASHBOARD (with client running!)

- Go to "Item"
- "Equip Item"
- Find "Dark Age of Camelot" under games - there should only be one server listed, and it's already Uthgard.
- Equip said item
- It should work on it's own from here on out.
- To test if it's working properly, turn it on before you launch Uthgard, get in game, and then disable/turn off the client and you should D/C.

It's pretty simple to use once you figure it out, but it's made in South Korea thus the documentation is a bit sparse. This isn't a true privacy VPN or anything fancy - it's merely a re-routing service. It may or may not help you depending on your location/connection to Uthgards server.

You know it's working if you screen looks something like this - the wavy line graphs are simply the DAoC data going in and out.

Here is a picture of my dashboard for it - hopefully this helps somebody.

http://imgur.com/a/xxidp

Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Sep 19, 2019 00:09

Just want to add a couple things...

As a UK player, £9/mo fiber internet worked perfectly w/o a VPN...

As a US player now, $50/mo DSL is rubbish! Works fine some days, and very annoying streaks of LD and lag at others...

After trying lots of VPNs with easy GUIs, that charge anywhere from $5-20/mo I was seeing very little, if any improvement. During bad connections, I'd always be losing packets on the same hops as I did w/o those VPNs...

Mudfish truly is a stripped down, amazing, effective, and dirt cheap tool. It costs pennies a month.

It is a bit tricky to get running though, and I wanted to pick up where Budikah left off...

OK, so Mudfish is running, you bought data, and added the DAoC item, and it's running...

-now-

Click the blue hyperlink looking Dark Age of Camelot on your dashboard.

Click on settings tab.

Next to the node, you see a blue clicky magnifying glass, click that.

Click on the Germany server (this is Uthgard).

A new tab opens with all available nodes, wait 10-15 seconds for the list to compile.

Next to 'score' click the up/down arrow to arrange the global list by their score.

Some nodes show up with -1 packet loss, I ignore those, and usually pick the highest ranked node with 0 packet loss and the lowest traffic...select that node.

The extra tab closes, now click 'save' at the bottom of the setup page you're on.

Now launch the game.

If you feel lag, or even go LD, search for a better node and reconnect.

If LD still persist:

On the setup page for the DAoC 'item' after you search for best nodes, pick one close to you w/ a good score, and look for one with DE header with a good score, make a mental note of that node.

Click save.

Go back to setup, click advanced mode. (This basically will increase your ping but increase stability AFAIK)

The first node you clicked to save is listed as #1, now the drop down for #2 enter the node you took a mental note for. I like DE Lease web 2, for what I call trans-atlantic **** storms.

With crappy American DSL, even running Mudfish in 'Advance mode' you can go LD...but you can immediately search for better nodes to run through, and usually limit the number of times in a session you'll go LD.
Bonz - Arran - Masticore - Rhakan

Alb Morgan le Fay: Bonzki
Hib Merlin: Grahmdal

Return to Tutorials