Steam Overlay working with new launcher!

Tutorials, general information about DAoC and useful links.
Tapatio
Guardian

Postby Tapatio » Feb 10, 2017 07:12

Add Steam Overlay to your Uthgard DAoC Experience

Q. Why does this need a Tutorial?

A. Normally adding a game to steam is a simple affair. It is usually seamless and 'just works'. If you have tried to add uthgard.exe as a game to Steam, you know that it does not 'just work'. With the new launcher that points to the Uthgard website for authentication, Steam gets confused as to where to add the overlay and recognize that you are playing a game.
It sees that you have launched uthgard.exe but, fails to continue to wait for the launcher to launch again after you click play. Technically, the game is run through Uth.dll inside your DAoC directory.
Trying to add uth.dll as a game in Steam through the normal dialogue is not recognized, either.

So, in my quest to get Steam overlay to play nice with the new launcher, I found a key part of the equation. When games jump through several hoops or applications to get to gameplay a file in the root directory of that game directory lets steam know when it should apply it's overlay.

Here are the steps I used:

If you have installed uthgard outside of the DAoC root directory, please uninstall and reinstall. This guide will assume that uthgard is installed in the same folder as camelot.exe

1. Add DAoC to Steam Library

Looking at your steam library, there will be a button on the bottom left that says '+ Add a Game'.
Click on this button and select 'add a non-steam game'.
This will open a list of installed programs on your computer. Select Dark Age of Camelot from the list. Now click on the button 'Add Selected Programs'.

2. Edit the newly added game to point to uthgard.exe instead of camelot.exe

Find Dark Age of Camelot listed on the left side of your library with your other games. Right click and select 'properties' in the sub-menu.
in the 'Target' field, replace camelot.exe with uthgard.exe. you may also click the 'change' button and select uthgard.exe inside your daoc folder. Using either method will change the icon to the Uthgard launcher icon ( a large 'U'). if you wish, you can change this back by clicking on the 'Choose Icon..' button and selecting camelot.exe.
Click close.

3. Getting SteamApp ID and creating the INI file

Open Notepad.
Paste the following:

[General]
SteamAppID="<very long number>"
LauncherExe="uth.dll"
[Temp]
AuthKey=
AccountID=

Go back to Steam and to your library Games list, right click again on Dark Age of Camelot. This time, select 'Create Desktop Shortcut'
now, minimize your open windows so you can see the newly made shorcut on your desktop.
Right click the shortcut and click on 'properties'. Make sure you are clicking on the shortcut that was created by steam and not the installation of DAoC.
You should see a field containing: "steam rungameid/<very long number>"
select the <very long number> and copy it. that number is how steam identifies games added to the library.
you can close the properties window by clicking 'OK'.

go back to notepad. replace the <very long number> with the number you copied from the desktop shortcut.
save this file as 'SteamLauncher.ini'. Make sure when you are saving that the 'Save as type:' is 'Any File *.*' and not 'Text Documents (*.txt).
You will have to save it to your documents or desktop. I was not able to save it directly to my DAoC Folder.
Once the file has been saved, navigate in file explorer to where you saved the file. Copy this file to clipboard or move it to your DAoC root directory( this is usually c:\program files\games\electronic arts\Dark age of camelot\ by default ).

4. Run the game

I would recommend closing any open internet browser windows that you may have currently open.
You should now be able to run the game from the desktop shortcut that was created through steam or steam itself.
the Steam overlay notification will show up on the character selection screen if all has worked!
Last edited by Tapatio on Feb 13, 2017 00:34, edited 1 time in total.

Tapatio
Guardian

Postby Tapatio » Feb 13, 2017 00:33

Reserved for additional fixes or errors.

I will add pictures to the original post once I get hosting

linklink64
Myrmidon

Postby linklink64 » Mar 18, 2017 03:08

This didn't work for me. Just like most typical non steam games that open a launcher then the launcher launches the game the same happens here. The link will launch the web browser...show that I'm playing the game...then very quickly disappear that I'm playing the game. STEAM overlay does not work.

Return to Tutorials