Lost the main menu? How to get it back.

Tutorials, general information about DAoC and useful links.
Throdid
Guardian

Postby Throdid » Apr 15, 2013 23:39

Not sure if this is the best place for this so feel free to move if it necessary mods.

A few warnings before you start:

1) You will almost certainly need to have "show hidden files and folders" enabled on your PC. The way to do this varies between versions of Windows so if you're not sure how to set it, Google for the quoted text and add "in Windows *" where the * is your windows version.
2) You will be editing one or more DAOC files. They're only text ".ini" files but you will be editing them so don't do this if you're not comfortable with it.
3) There is a shorter "for techies" version at the end.

I would recommend you read to the end of the instructions before starting.

Several people I know have managed to close the main menu bar on the UI, only to find that they can't figure out any way in which to get it back. There is a relatively easy way to do so; you'll need to:

- Open your main disk in "My Computer" (or equivalent) which is normally "C:"
- Open the folder "Users"
- Then the folder with your username (for example: "Throdid")
- Next open these folder in order: "AppData", "Roaming", "Electronic Arts", "Dark Age of Camelot"
- Lastly, open "LoTM"
- Now, find the ".ini" file named after the character you need to get the menu bar back for. This is a file name <charname>-12.ini
- Right-click on the file and select "Open". This should open the file in Notepad.
- Click the "Edit" menu at the top of Notepad and click "Find".
- In the popup window, enter the text "Menu" in the text box, then click the "Find" button.
- Click "Find next" until the search matches a row that starts with "MenuBar".
- This is the line you're going to edit. What you will see is a line like this:

MenuBar=815,1414,0,100,100

Don't worry about what the numbers are. All you're interested in is that there are five of them. You need to edit the middle one from a zero to a one. Once that's done:
- Click the "File" menu at the top of Notepad.
- Click "Save".
- Close Notepad.

You're done. Now all you need to do is launch DAOC and your menu should be back. Don't forget to do this for all of the characters where you've lost the menu.

An alternative: Once you've located the file, you can simply delete it. This will reset all of the UI for that character (sometimes useful if you really want to start again) but it will also have the side effect of re-activating the menu bar.

Quick, more techie, version
Find your character's ".ini" file (in AppData\Roaming\Electronic Arts\Dark Age of Camelot\LotM) and edit it. You'll need to find the line with the "MenuBar" parameter on it and change the third value from zero to one. Save the file, job done.
Throdid | Greyshayde | Xeranu : GM of Griffon Knight [Uthgard]

Dr. Troione
Guardian

Postby Dr. Troione » Apr 16, 2013 14:57

If I got it right, to re-enable the Menu bar you would need to enter the "Interface elements" window, which is only accessible through the main menu itself. Which in theory should open by pressing Esc, but it doesn't work for some reason. However I'm glad to see there is this workaround, in case they can't fix it

Toeykiller
Guardian

Postby Toeykiller » Sep 08, 2016 11:15

I have read all about it. I am sure this is for the good and benefit the most.

StriKe_jk
Warder

Postby StriKe_jk » Jan 21, 2017 14:33

You can also activate it via "interface windows" ingame by clicking on "Menu bar". This is accessible via the esc menu, which you have to activate in the Launcher first. (Standard option is deactivated)

To do this you have to click on your desktop icon to launch uthgard, this launches the website, there you click on the "+" next to the word Play. Then you can choose from a variety of options, you want to click on "launcher settings". There you have to untick the option "Disable Esc Menu" and hit save. Then you can start up the game, hit esc to open the esc menu and re-enable the menu bar with the interface windows option.

In short:
Launcher icon -> Website -> + -> Launcher settings -> Untick "Disable Esc menu" -> Save -> Start the game -> Hit esc -> open interface windows -> click on menu bar. Done, all without fiddling around in some files :D

Sadra
Warder

Postby Sadra » Feb 01, 2017 02:06

I would like to thank you for posting this. There was an x button (very tiny) next to the Menu button, and I clicked it off on my baby skald. I followed the instructions and it worked perfectly. Took a little bit of finding the folder (partitioning etc), but ultimately it worked!

Thanks again!
Kisadra, Druid
Sadra Saperlipopette, Healer (sleeping)

Originally played Percival, Igraine, and Gareth (NA Servers)

Ebenezer
Warder

Postby Ebenezer » Feb 23, 2017 18:46

Throdid wrote:1) You will almost certainly need to have "show hidden files and folders" enabled on your PC. The way to do this varies between versions of Windows so if you're not sure how to set it, Google for the quoted text and add "in Windows *" where the * is your windows version.

..snip...

- Open your main disk in "My Computer" (or equivalent) which is normally "C:"
- Open the folder "Users"
- Then the folder with your username (for example: "Throdid")
- Next open these folder in order: "AppData", "Roaming", "Electronic Arts", "Dark Age of Camelot"
...more snip...

You can skip the Show Hidden step, and some of the browsing.

Hit Start button, or open a run box (win+R) and type %appdata% and hit enter (include the percent signs)
A File Explorer window will open directly in the Appdata\Roaming folder for the current logged in user (You), despite it being a hidden folder. None of the folders below that are hidden, so you can already see the Electronic Arts folder, and browse from there.

randomeclipse
Warder

Postby randomeclipse » Mar 05, 2017 17:16

Throdid, I could kiss you :)

Thanks for posting.
| Runemaster |

Abydos
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Abydos » Mar 05, 2017 18:15

FYI

Go to the website, click the "+" then "Launcher Options". Uncheck "Disable ESC Menu". Reload the game, find "Interface Elements"

Twinbladez
Warder

Postby Twinbladez » May 18, 2017 19:57

This happened to me today and intill i came across this thread i was stuck.

i was in rvr with warden asked several people in rvr guild and allience and no one new what my problem was.

But thanks to this thread its all sorted now.

this thread should be stickyed to the top.

thanks for the help

Jahirah
Warder

Postby Jahirah » Mar 01, 2018 09:22

Lost my summery window yesterday - tried to use the same approach as described but i couldn't find a lot the files mentioned here, even when searching on the collective discs.
I have no character.ini file, no AppData folder or LoTM....

Trishin
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Trishin » Mar 01, 2018 09:25

Jahirah wrote:Lost my summery window yesterday - tried to use the same approach as described but i couldn't find a lot the files mentioned here, even when searching on the collective discs.
I have no character.ini file, no AppData folder or LoTM....

AppData is a hidden folder - you might need to enable seeing those in your folder settings.
Got any questions? Submit them to me and I will try to get them answered in our grab bag !
Rajnish wrote:Why didn't someone warn me that being GM means lots of boring research, logging, testing and organizing data....
I thought it was all about looking cool....

Uthgard Rules || How to connect || FAQ

Jahirah
Warder

Postby Jahirah » Mar 01, 2018 09:35

Thank you, finallt found the right folder.
Really thought that I had hidden file extensions and folders shown but i guess it's time for a settings check up.
Thanks for the speedy help!

Return to Tutorials