trio for young and inexperienced players

Public communication platform for all Hibernia players.
miromann
Warder

Postby miromann » Jan 03, 2018 19:00

Hi

I have two sons who want to join me playing here. They are young and have never played games like this before, mostly roblox and minecraft for them so far.

I was wondering what to advice them since they need something fun and not to challenging to start with.

I also want us to be a well functioning trio.

thanks for any input.

Cirath
Gryphon Knight

Postby Cirath » Jan 03, 2018 19:46

a bard (for you), a hero, and a BM make an effective and easy to play trio. kids like to smack things with swords and get new styles/gear.

Tree
Eagle Knight

Postby Tree » Jan 03, 2018 20:33

Ench, Menta, Druid would be most effective.

Though Ciraths advise might be better, considering they are young kids. Uthgard is a repetitive grind anyway, so a more engaging playstyle would probably be advisable.

Maybe explain the classes to them first and ask them what they believe might be interesting for them to play and then choose a setup, thats works for you three.
Tree - Animist Lvl 50 (RR 3L0, Legendary Tailor)
Aeomelia - Enchanter Lvl 50
Guild: SCHWERT & ROSE (provisional guild leader)

[HIB] Crafting Mat Wholesale
Diamond, Wyvernskin, Nightshade, Eldritch etc. huge quantities below vendor price - pm me!

Amurdora
Myrmidon

Postby Amurdora » Jan 03, 2018 21:32

Tree wrote:
Maybe explain the classes to them first and ask them what they believe might be interesting for them to play and then choose a setup, thats works for you three.

That's the most important piece. You on Bard so that you can minimize down time, and have them do whatever. The grind part is absolutely of no importance to them. When I played with my son (10 years old) the thing he wanted to do the most was explore the world. The quests can be a lot of fun for them as they have stories and it takes them to different places. I'd focus on the story telling and sights first and the grind and RvR second. To little kids, those things don't matter nearly as much as this really cool mob that I saw way down here that no one goes too. Not, hey I just templated my toon and am gonna go destroy souls in RvR.

Zarkor
Unicorn Knight

Postby Zarkor » Jan 03, 2018 21:47

A more unusual setup which unfortunately takes a while to come to full fruition is Warden, Menta, VW.

Once the VW gets the lvl 29 DD proc on the side-chain, this is an absolute monster trio for PvE. Decently viable in RvR as well.

You've got the basics: PoM, Speed and base buffs. No endu unfortunately, but it's managable. The VW has got POM so he can nuke when he pleases. The Warden has self endu.

The general idea is to exploit the Warden-Menta synergy: Round up a bunch of mobs with a decently geared warden + dmg shield, let him (and the VW if needed) tank and then throw out the AE dots. The menta can keep the tanks alive easily once he gets HoT.

The good part about this trio is that all three classes have their gimmicks. None of them is a bland straight up tank or caster.
In defense of truth-to-experience.

miromann
Warder

Postby miromann » Jan 04, 2018 09:02

Thank you for the input.

One of them want to try an animist, but i guess that will be a bit tricky for a young first timer. Besides, i read it is still some bugs with it.

Zarkor
Unicorn Knight

Postby Zarkor » Jan 04, 2018 13:42

An Animist is very challenging with setting up groundtargets and petmanagement. An additional downside is the horror of placing shrooms in a dungeon.

That being said, if you can manage to make the right quickbinds for him, the core of an animists play isn't that complex.

In that case I'd say replace the VW with the Ani and go Ani Menta Warden.

And stay oustide of dungeons as much as possible. DF could be an exception if you are extra extra careful with shroom placement.

Tree
Eagle Knight

Postby Tree » Jan 04, 2018 17:01

For levelling in Grp he should play as Arb Animist, because shrooms eat 50% XP (yeah I know, it sucks) and Verdant is bugged. Arb Animist plays more or less like a normal DD caster, so he should be okay.
At 50 creep can be advanced depending on what you want to do, but the basics are easy enough to learn.

Diamond, Wyvernskin, Nightshade, Eldritch etc. huge quantities below vendor price - pm me!

miromann
Warder

Postby miromann » Jan 05, 2018 13:40

Are the animists still bugged so that the shrooms stop attacking mobs?

Satiah
Eagle Knight

Postby Satiah » Jan 05, 2018 15:26

miromann wrote:Are the animists still bugged so that the shrooms stop attacking mobs?

Yep.
Satiah | Tuthmes | Dendera | Khufu | Nefertete | Dahshur | Nebetah | Neterbaiu

Rendiviel
Gryphon Knight

Postby Rendiviel » Jan 05, 2018 16:31

Bard, BM, Warden makes a decent trio for leveling and a fantastic trio for RVR. BM and Warden have strong enough melee DPS, Bard and Warden can both heal, and between the three classes you have all the CC except root/snare. An effective trio like that can beat a group of 4-5 players if done properly (I know, I've been on the opposite side of the 5v3 and lost it).

Torgo
Eagle Knight

Postby Torgo » Jan 05, 2018 16:46

I would say a bard is essential for speed and downtime if nothing else...but maybe that is not a concern will kids trying to "enjoy the journey". I wonder if Druid, Ment, Mana Chanter would be a good thing to try?

Rendiviel
Gryphon Knight

Postby Rendiviel » Jan 05, 2018 19:24

Torgo wrote:I would say a bard is essential for speed and downtime if nothing else...but maybe that is not a concern will kids trying to "enjoy the journey". I wonder if Druid, Ment, Mana Chanter would be a good thing to try?

I definitely suggest one speed class at least, and a mana chanter could be fun enough.

Zarkor
Unicorn Knight

Postby Zarkor » Jan 06, 2018 02:46

Rendiviel wrote:
Torgo wrote:I would say a bard is essential for speed and downtime if nothing else...but maybe that is not a concern will kids trying to "enjoy the journey". I wonder if Druid, Ment, Mana Chanter would be a good thing to try?

I definitely suggest one speed class at least, and a mana chanter could be fun enough.

The problem with mana chanter is that you''ll be pidgeon holed very rapidly into being a focus pull bot. Leveling from 1 all the way to 50 will be a monotonous grind with the occasional pet frustrations.

Tree
Eagle Knight

Postby Tree » Jan 06, 2018 19:40

Satiah wrote:
miromann wrote:Are the animists still bugged so that the shrooms stop attacking mobs?

Yep.

Although its quite situational. Its not like it happens all the time and gets you killed. It happens rarely, but can screw you good, if the circumstances are right. And in RvR espacially against stealthers its very frequently and annoying.

Next

Return to Hibernia