Summer Heat - A Look Forward

Here you can comment on news articles.
Poxx
Warder

Postby Poxx » Jul 25, 2018 09:55

I will quote myself out of "Battleground Update and more"-News from 07.07.2017

Postby Poxx » Jul 07, 2017 11:21

Great Update!

With this pace we will have the same state as uth 1 in two years - I will rejoin when we are there.

One year left to wait. 8)

Enrighteous
Warder

Postby Enrighteous » Jul 25, 2018 10:02

Why now? Anyone with a smidge of intellect can see the very apparent desperation of this announcement. Alternatives arise with a community driven development team. You have neglected your children only to re-appear for their adulthood as if this does not leave a bitter taste in ones mouth. Disgusting

Gil
Alerion Knight

Postby Gil » Jul 25, 2018 10:19

Here's my take on the changes... If they bring back and keep a viable population here on Uthgard I will stay focused on this server. The way I like to play only works well with a large server population. If Uth has the players here, I'm Uth for life. On the other hand, if the population here stays small, I'll focus on another server or another game, heck, maybe even real life? NAH! :P

So, make what changes you think will vitalize the player population, speak out to the Classic DAoC player base in every way you can think of to let them know the new direction: e-mails, Surveys, Facebook, MMO site forums, etc.

I (and many others) will make our decision where to invest out time wholly on player population. I have respect for the staff and server rules both here and on that other server. I hope you both get it 'right'. I've been an Uthgardian since 2010, but I moved away in 2013 when the population left. Now the population is way down and I'll move again if there are few people here to fight, raid with or sell to / buy from.
Gil DaTroll - Merlin Zerker | MacDeath - Uth1 Armsman | Gil - Uth2 Zerker | Macdeath - Uth2 Armsman

Trishin
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Trishin » Jul 25, 2018 10:26

Enrighteous wrote:Why now? Anyone with a smidge of intellect can see the very apparent desperation of this announcement. Alternatives arise with a community driven development team. You have neglected your children only to re-appear for their adulthood as if this does not leave a bitter taste in ones mouth. Disgusting

"Never change a working system" - we have (finally?) reached a state where the current system is not working, so now we are changing it.

Hopefully the players will be able to embrace this change, and help us improve Uthgard.
Got any questions? Submit them to me and I will try to get them answered in our grab bag !
Rajnish wrote:Why didn't someone warn me that being GM means lots of boring research, logging, testing and organizing data....
I thought it was all about looking cool....

Uthgard Rules || How to connect || FAQ

Raunz
Warder

Postby Raunz » Jul 25, 2018 10:28

About 18 months too late and about 90% too little, you literally forced people to quit Uthgard with your hypocrisy and the changes you listed is like 10% off what you should of been done from the start.

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Jul 25, 2018 11:08

Trishin wrote:
Enrighteous wrote:Why now? Anyone with a smidge of intellect can see the very apparent desperation of this announcement. Alternatives arise with a community driven development team. You have neglected your children only to re-appear for their adulthood as if this does not leave a bitter taste in ones mouth. Disgusting

"Never change a working system" - we have (finally?) reached a state where the current system is not working, so now we are changing it.

Hopefully the players will be able to embrace this change, and help us improve Uthgard.

System hasn't worked for quite a while, people just didn't have any alternative until this Phoenix crap showed up. At one point I was a bit annoyed when I read some of the facebook stuff, but after reading a few posts I really felt sorry for the person writing that stuff and responding to players on facebook, because it was clear they were delusional about population and the state of the server.

I wonder if you will overdo it or not, there is a chance you give people too much and they get bored/spoiled. All this could have been avoided 5 years ago if you had actually listened to normal players, not whiners who just want free stuff. I hope you will listen to and consider realistic request made by people who understand this is not WoW or some other new style RPG, and not just cater to the part of the community that only wants more and more free stuff, because those people never stick around.

Uthgard1 was a nearly perfect server, due to patch level(faster heals, buff shears) and way more balanced new RAs. We only needed multiple charge pots there and maybe SI at some point. Old RAs are imbalanced and they especially hurt casuals at this patch level, they also make some classes unplayable for groups or make other classes a necessary evil. Now, if you do give paladins/reavers/thanes/champions determination, then it's custom and other people will want stuff. Anyway, it's all quite funny. Instead of trying to communicate to the reasonable part of population(people who were willing to meet you half way and discuss problems while presenting arguments other than "we need xp, we need SI, we need free stuff and QOL"), now you are desperate to keep the server alive and you seem like you're ready to give in to anything, which will probably end poorly because the spoiled part of the population will either get the stuff they want or leave to Phoenix.
It is what it is.

albeyond
Gryphon Knight

Postby albeyond » Jul 25, 2018 11:15

Great changes.

Please increase Paladin endurance range

[R]Bloodwyne
Gryphon Knight

Postby [R]Bloodwyne » Jul 25, 2018 11:16

This is gold. After 15 years they finally get it :D I don't trust this one bit with the same staff doing the job but let's see what happens. Not that it matters to me personally anyway =)

Lilayn
Gryphon Knight

Postby Lilayn » Jul 25, 2018 11:49

Very nice! If it helps to get back a healthy server, i like the changes

kinthos
Gryphon Knight

Postby kinthos » Jul 25, 2018 12:04

Good job guys! I hope this works out and people realise a beta, half implemented server (admittedly well executed so far), has limited legs and come back!
- Inqy/Spymistress/Sly -
GM of "eXPedient demise" | Slave of "Crows of Winter"

munchies
Myrmidon

Postby munchies » Jul 25, 2018 12:28

Trishin wrote:

This mindset is not viable in 2018, i have seen many companies with this strategy plummet down the drain. The reason is, that nowadays the competition is much higher and you will just fall behind if you don't constantly develop and try new features. Remember Nokia as the world no1 phone sales company? Because they didn't adapt to Android, then they went pretty much out of business. Guess who has Android support now...

The mindset nowadays is "Always keep developing your working system even further so you can be first, not your competitors." Wanted to add customers aswell into this, but i guess its not needed, playerbase is a extremely important in Daoc. If you don't meet the customer expectations and someone else will - then well... i think you know where this is going.

However to sum it up, i hope Uthgard has learned from this and understand that their playerbase are not 16 year old nolifers anymore. Anyway im hoping the pop goes up, if not, then im afraid i have to follow the playerbase.

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Jul 25, 2018 12:37

munchies wrote:
Trishin wrote:

This mindset is not viable in 2018, i have seen many companies with this strategy plummet down the drain. The reason is, that nowadays the competition is much higher and you will just fall behind if you don't constantly develop and try new features. Remember Nokia as the world no1 phone sales company? Because they didn't adapt to Android, then they went pretty much out of business. Guess who has Android support now...

The mindset nowadays is "Always keep developing your working system even further so you can be first, not your competitors." Wanted to add customers aswell into this, but i guess its not needed, playerbase is a extremely important in Daoc. If you don't meet the customer expectations and someone else will - then well... i think you know where this is going.

However to sum it up, i hope Uthgard has learned from this and understand that their playerbase are not 16 year old nolifers anymore. Anyway im hoping the pop goes up, if not, then im afraid i have to follow the playerbase.

Population is not some supernatural entity, you're a part of it. It's entirely up to you if you want to stay and help build it, or just join when you feel there's enough people. Also, this is a super old game and we need some simple QOL stuff, no need to evolve all the time because the reason we play it for is nostalgia, not constant updates. Don't complicate things more than they need to be :D.
It is what it is.

Celi
Myrmidon

Postby Celi » Jul 25, 2018 13:17

hahahahaha
Who are you?

Woosh
Banned

Postby Woosh » Jul 25, 2018 13:19

I can ddos the other server into oblivion for a couple of weeks and save Uthgard, but only if you rename Svasud Faste after me. I'm not even kidding.

-- ratatoskr

Quantas
Warder

Postby Quantas » Jul 25, 2018 13:24

BalianIbelin wrote:Fascinating. I am sure you will get plenty of the 'too late' responses from the gripers, but if you guys could do all this and have a functional SI there could be hope. Your track record for stability and integrity of the server is without question, it's too soon to know how the implementation will be with the 'other' freeshard.

Keep us posted, people are watching, even if they aren't saying much to start with.

to late blue.. to late :?

but appreceate your affords

PreviousNext

Return to News