Keep Siege and XP Update

Here you can comment on news articles.
Byala
Warder

Postby Byala » Aug 09, 2017 18:59

These are the things that should have been in since launch, the BGs would have been awesome with 4k pop. Only thing stopping me from logging in now is too low population meaning not enough groups/targets.

bruts
Myrmidon

Postby bruts » Aug 09, 2017 19:11

Abydos wrote:Please try again. Fixed another thing...

My Warrior lvl43 get the Quest. Have to test with Skald again. Is it maybe the Realmrank check? Cause my Skald is higher than my Warrior.
-.-

Severian
Gryphon Knight

Postby Severian » Aug 09, 2017 19:19

elrim208 wrote:Has anyone ever considered that a game that is this old has a limited lifespan no matter how good the devs reproduce the experience? Every change they make is in the spirit of the game, and they are very careful about how they do it. It's just a fact of life that the population will decline over time, and there is literally nothing that can be done to stop it. So sick of all the "this won't save the server posts" that want free level 50s and full population rvr all day so they can solo 8 mans.

Bottom line: the devs do a damn good job and you aren't smarter than they are. Nothing will "fix" the population because there is no problem to solve. There was a huge hype for the relaunch and the hype died down. No matter what happens we will never see the population we saw at launch again. This is a natural life cycle.

I really appreciate all the work put into this server. I won't play here forever (nor will anyone really), but this server is far and away the closest experience to classic I've ever had and I absolutely love it. I hope it lasts as long as possible, and I don't think a different approach would facilitate that any better than their current path.

Except you have a massive amount of anecdotal testimonials explaining exactly why people left. And it isn't for any of the reasons you just stated (which you really just said people leave games over time, yes we all know that). The population dropped at a consistently rapid pace. MMOs that are good don't die like that. See the very game you are here to play, circa 2001: DAoC.
Severian, RR5 Skald
Sacrament, RR4 Healer
Darkcircle, RR4 RM

laycie13
Myrmidon

Postby laycie13 » Aug 09, 2017 19:28

I like just about every thing about Uthgard minus the slow exp rate and lack of porters. Everyone keeps saying well this is how slow it was on live back in 1.65... Yes that is true but exp was slow for the sole reason of the lack of other time sinks ( toa/arts/champ levels etc ) to keep people paying their sub fee's. On a free server where sub fee's are non existent there is no need for snail paced exp. 5% pure exp for each member of the group would have been much better than increasing the cap exp which you have to farm dark purps to get, slowing down the rate of kills anyhow.

Luri_lover
Warder

Postby Luri_lover » Aug 09, 2017 19:56

Good changes but still hoping for the re-introduction of RvR guard tasks to help solo players get RPs when it's slow out.

Tyton
Myrmidon

Postby Tyton » Aug 09, 2017 21:02

I'm sad. Devs still don't get it.

Changes show how far they've come, but at that same time, they're indicative of how they'll forever dance around the real issues that keeps so many people from playing here. Many people wanted a slight overall increase of XP or a flat XP bonus for each party member, not an XP cap bonus for each party member. What does this do for 3 or 4 bros killing high reds and low purps together at lvl30? Absolutely nothing. So Sum Hall sounds mighty appealing now... great? More firepower for people looking to plvl/afk whilest leaving casual peeps to more of the same bs since day one. 15% better XP permanently > 30% XP for a long weekend. Try again.

Until next time folks...

Signus
Gryphon Knight

Postby Signus » Aug 09, 2017 21:29

Daetren wrote:Please, please fix broken realm and class abilities besides boosting working ones. Some classes are still unplayable in many circumstances because of broken mechanics. BD and Necro pets for starters. Immunity on many realm abilities not being overwritten properly.
Many see the pop dying due to major game play issues not being prioritized. SI has been dangled in front of us for years to hear, "Soon(TM) ". (What's the update with that? :-P ) Of course Rome wast built in a day, but we've endured many days! I'm not belittling your dedication to this amazing dream. I simply wish to express my feelings related to the server in a paragraph or so.
Many good things from the second patch though!
Endo meter!!
Maps next???

Looking forward to many more years of might and magic between all the realms!
Thank you Devs~

Nothing about maps need fixing.

Nijuro
Myrmidon

Postby Nijuro » Aug 09, 2017 21:46

Luri_lover wrote:Good changes but still hoping for the re-introduction of RvR guard tasks to help solo players get RPs when it's slow out.

i personaly dont like that because its pve for rps, but hey mates. if some ppl like it why not
devs need to understand that they cant force ppl to play like they want.

if ppl like to pve 24/7 its totaly ok for me
if ppl like JUST BG why you want to force them to get out? you think they play then in real rvr? the most dont

there is a guy on live server he has over 21000 solo kills and he is in some small bg. you think you can force him to play 50 rvr? this will never work

and like Tyton sayd
stop dancing around with some complicated restrictions

relvinian
Phoenix Knight

Postby relvinian » Aug 09, 2017 22:12

Nijuro wrote:
relvinian wrote: Still like daoc. Still playing. All of those who are still interested, still like daoc, still play,

i cant play, what should i do?
i log in and do nothing?

i am already 50 and dont need to level something else

so what can i do here?
i dont like to play 8man

one other problem even if would invest the effort and try to solo / smallman again, even if every 8man kills me on sight
the other players who want to solo/smallman got the same barriers
-no speed
-no buffpotion charges
-die on sight against 8mans

so against who should i fight?

you think i give 10 trys to find a solo and get zerged in 9 of them by a 8man?
and in the 10th case i search the whole fz for an hour?

What is ur class?

I think you need friends in the game. Which is hard if your friends already left. Join an active guild, and do small man? Problem i had with the frontier rvr world is i wanted to play a solo class so all that was there for me was ganking xpers. But there is no real point to xp in the frontier. Plus rps for greys and etc, etc, etc, you can look at my posts from beta or the link to a post i made and the various discussions in my signature from a year ago. At that time i made lots of suggestions and was called names and made fun of etc.

The devs CAN ABSOLUTELY encourage small man and group rvr and diversity of play, etc.

I have suggested many times for YEARS how they can. They don't have to and they don't have to agree with me, heck i might be wrong on a point or two.

But what you have to do is make ur own fun and we all need to keep talking it out and working on it until we get it right.
https://www.uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37632

Players can greatly contribute to a server if you let them.

Uthgard, still the best server. Thanks, Devs.

Chysil
Myrmidon

Postby Chysil » Aug 09, 2017 22:25

I think these are good changes, and god I wish they had been added on day 1. I'm a little worried that the damage may already be done.

I think the main problems now are things that are harder to address:

1) Realm Rank disparity. It's harder to talk people to coming back when you go out as a pug and run into rr8+ groups that just curb stomp you. This is next to impossible to stop, but it's one of those things that had the xp changes been implemented earlier you might have been able to see people will to go out vs rr5+ instead. It's a tough uphill battle to fight, but it's not really something that the devs can do anything about. The power gamers are going to power game.

2) Population. This has numerous implications. First of all, it's harder to level now that the population is down and there's less people grouping. Second, it's harder to form pick up groups for RVR. Finally, when you do find groups and start roaming, a lot of time the shear size of the frontiers makes it a long time before you find anyone. I've had times where I've burned purge and thought "crap I probably didn't need to burn that", only to have it up by the time we found our next fight. Now relate that to the one above: You spend 30 min forming a group, you spend 30 min to find a fight, and then you get rolled in 10 seconds... If you were fighting mids you saw ichor on inc, purges, vendos, etc.... if you were fighting albs you saw BOF and maybe SOS, if you were fighting hibs you saw GPs, AM, etc being dumped. It really can make you feel like you just wasted an hour.

All that being said, it's pretty hard to avoid that kind of thing from happening. I personally would be all for a complete resign of the frontier zones, cutting the shear size of them by 50% or more... but that's far away from classic, a lot of work for coders, and could easily be a total flop.

Maybe a good in-between would be to make a BG for level 50s. Although all that really does is increase the size of the frontiers by another zone.

All in all, good changes, hopefully it's not too late.
| Absolute Power |
Chysil - Bard - 3Lx
Fluffykittens - Enchantress - 2Lx
Cercela - Animist - 2Lx
Owanda - Druid - 2Lx
LGM: SC, AC, WC, Tailor

barto22
Phoenix Knight

Postby barto22 » Aug 09, 2017 23:09

So I totally misread the news post when I first saw it.. Turns out the xp changes were really lame. The only changes I actually liked were the 15 minute DF timer and the endu in group window. This isn't enough to get people back playing in my opinion. Shame.
My mind’s made up, don’t confuse me with facts.
You mustn't assume that your personal situation is a reflection of every other person that has logged in to Uthgard.

Reaper75
Warder

Postby Reaper75 » Aug 10, 2017 02:03

Devs,

Why are you even wasting your time making any changes at all if you're just going to beat around the bush? You're negligence in implementing imperative QoL changes has already done irreparable damage to UThgard, YOU'RE own server. I really do not believe you guys are this dense to believe that these BS sorry excuse changes are going to make a difference. Are you guys just making the slightest changes to give the false impression that real changes are coming as a sorry ploy to keep players interested without actually giving the majority what they want? It's quite comical at this point, you guys are like the drunk step father that promises to stop drinking and beating their kids but continue with the same crap. MAKE REAL CHANGES OR WATCH UTHGARD POOF!!!!! THIS IS PATHETIC!!!!

1. REAL GROUP XP BONUS!
2. GLOBAL XP BONUS!
3. SI LIKE YOU PROMISED!
4. A REAL BG LIKE UTHGARD 1.0 with RR4L2 CAP!

You can't pull off what classic games like P99 EQ can pull off with legit classic xp because DAOC PVE Isn't that good. It is a game based on RVR, you have to give casuals a chance to gain lvl 50 and a high enough realm rank to have a fighting chance or else you're server will become extinct very quickly. Nobody is going to cap Caledonia at 3L3 and be able to do ANYTHING in Emain, Figure it out make it work or watch this server die!

Stoertebeker
Eagle Knight

Postby Stoertebeker » Aug 10, 2017 02:07

barto22 wrote:So I totally misread the news post when I first saw it.. Turns out the xp changes were really lame. The only changes I actually liked were the 15 minute DF timer and the endu in group window. This isn't enough to get people back playing in my opinion. Shame.

But it might be enough to keep people playing, and that is not less important.

Ppl that left because they don`t like the setting won`t come back just because of more xp, faster horse routes or guard-tasks.
Ppl that left because they have no patience...they`re gone and i don`t wanna play with them anyway just because i hate impatience and disloyalty.

Atm it`s more important for me to keep what i have instead of what i 'maybe' could get.

Reaper75
Warder

Postby Reaper75 » Aug 10, 2017 02:25

Stoertebeker wrote:
barto22 wrote:So I totally misread the news post when I first saw it.. Turns out the xp changes were really lame. The only changes I actually liked were the 15 minute DF timer and the endu in group window. This isn't enough to get people back playing in my opinion. Shame.

But it might be enough to keep people playing, and that is not less important.

Ppl that left because they don`t like the setting won`t come back just because of more xp, faster horse routes or guard-tasks.
Ppl that left because they have no patience...they`re gone and i don`t wanna play with them anyway just because i hate impatience and disloyalty.

Atm it`s more important for me to keep what i have instead of what i 'maybe' could get.

You are high if you think 4,000 people left because they're disloyal and impatient. They left because they were no longer enjoying themselves, plain and simple.

Tyton
Myrmidon

Postby Tyton » Aug 10, 2017 02:34

Stoertebeker wrote:

I can't bite my tongue bud I'm sorry. Disloyalty? We're adults lol. If people aren't having fun (or are not shown a promising future), they're just gonna leave. We have careers, families, kids, etc. Why would people just keep playing a game when they're not have fun, for what? So they can say they're "loyal"? You lost me here.

A big part of the "setting" you speak of is faster XP. The timesinks existed back in the day because this was a sub based game. Yes SI is a factor, but the majority of DAoC players aren't gonna play at this slow of a pace--especially without SI. Only reason I even voice my opinion here is because I know how great Uthgard "can" be, and it's a damn shame.

PreviousNext

Return to News