Battleground Update and more

Here you can comment on news articles.
Vashancka
Warder

Postby Vashancka » Jul 09, 2017 04:26

Let the trolls be trolls and the haters fester,

BRAVO on the changes and I for one as a player greatly appreciate the institution of this update and am happy to see it. Thank you for making this a reality!

Budikah
Phoenix Knight

Postby Budikah » Jul 09, 2017 05:14

Njor wrote:
Budikah wrote:...
MinMax largely is life for many people in the game. If you aren't templated, many groups will put you last in line to be picked. It's just how games end up after 15 years when almost everything can be quanitified.

Slightly out of context but still, that mindset is a very valid reason why DAoC/Uthgard will not be attractive to new/young/casual players longterm.
And that mindset, if truly as prevalent as stated, is a player problem.

I agree, and I've run afoul of it in most of my previous years on live. When I first starting playing DAoC I picked just about every class that was unwanted - and it entirely turned me off of the game... that and buffbots being almost a requisite for PvP. I was so excited to hit 50 on my Thane and then week after week I couldn't get a group at all - sometimes I'd find one for a zerg but I'd be tossed off the bus as soon as another class arrived. It was garbage. I really loved the Thane class... and the Valewalker class... and the Paladin/Friar class... and essentially every class that here on Uth gets tossed under the bus for the most part (though we do see them all getting play in RvR which makes me happy).

But at the same time you can't look at it in a bubble. On Uth I've picked classes that I know will get playtime and find groups and it's worked out for me - and now that I'm on the other side - I sort of see it from both angles. It sucks not to get picked - but it also sucks pretty hard to run out against a top tier enemy while you've brought your B team. DAoC isn't a forgiving game. It also takes quite a bit of time to do things in. It isn't some arena game where when you die you just get back into the fight 5-10 minutes later - no, it usually takes another 15~ or so depending on where people are bound, if people need potions, etc. People are quite a bit better at the game all of these years later - you might do fine by the first fight but a good enemy will note "Hey, I totally smeared that Cleric for major damage and just about three shotted them last fight - focus them this fight with X damage type - they have a hole in their resists" and they will continually assault that weak link.

The fact that this game has so many tedious timesinks has made certain portions of the playerbase just focus on what works consistently. The games design doesn't really lend itself to playing some of these underdog classes unless you directly are seeking a challenge.

So when you look at two Clerics... one with a template, and one without - you'll pick the better equipped one assuming they both have equal social standing to you as friends or whatnot. It just is what it is and I've come to begrudgingly accept it.

You can suggest a player problem, sure, but you also need to realize it's an environmental problem as well. The environment being the design of DAoC and how it interacts with peoples basic human nature. It's a two way street.

This is a bit off topic, but I figured I'd respond to you. In terms of RoGs - I'd love to see them more widely used. It'd be another 'economic' item for people to hunt for and sell to other players, as well as breaking up some of the stale templates that exist and allow people some wiggle room to do other interesting things, or at least template themselves in different ways. If the RoG doesn't break, sure, but when it takes 2-3 hours to spellcraft a full suit of equipment for somebody plus a hefty fee - I think it's unlikely that people will incorporate an item that they can't easily replace once it wears out as it'll have the cascading effect of requiring them to reconfigure their entire equipment setup which can be fairly costly.

As far as using the items - I'll gladly used RoGs while leveling but it's going to have to be a good one and take some consideration to fit it into anything semi-permanent.

As far as patch commentary - we took a keep last night and it felt way better for my group. No more killing an entire wave just to have it all respawn a second later.

Edit - I should mention, the attitude above is present here, but not across the board. I find plenty of groups who go outside the box, particularly now that some of the more extreme 8v8 groups have vacated the scene.

Zob
Myrmidon

Postby Zob » Jul 09, 2017 06:17

Next patch, implement bots for NA time? :D

Luri_lover
Warder

Postby Luri_lover » Jul 09, 2017 06:30

Great changes, thanks devs! Will there be rvr tasks implemented like on uth 1.0? For example, killing a number of enemy guards and getting realm points?

Gnome
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Gnome » Jul 09, 2017 09:45

Cratemesy wrote:
but it might be hard to get to bledmeer as a berserker with 4min hastener, agree?

Catch a lift and capture Dun Cruachon or Caer Benowyc.

Lurker
Gryphon Knight

Postby Lurker » Jul 09, 2017 10:19

Super stuff thanks... can I roll my ranger back to 47? xD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pao
Gryphon Knight

Postby Pao » Jul 09, 2017 14:24

Thank you. That's a great change. That make me excited to login again. Was inactive for few month, no lvl 50 yet. Only want rvr.
Hope GMs are fine with what they have stated, that they are fine with just 80 people (300ppl was Trishin Statement long time ago) playing the game under their vision.
Its important to leave this server running doesn't matter how low the numbers will be. The other servers can fail but Uthgard still will be there, thats Uthgards only chance.

Edit 19/09/21: Well Uthgards chance has come.

YOLKD
Gryphon Knight

Postby YOLKD » Jul 09, 2017 16:08

Gnome wrote:
Cratemesy wrote:
but it might be hard to get to bledmeer as a berserker with 4min hastener, agree?

Catch a lift and capture Dun Cruachon or Caer Benowyc.

by the sound of this it appears the staff has no intention to bring all 3 realms together in a common area. i was really hoping to see a fix for hib solos being left out of emain, mid solos being left out of og, and alb solos being left out of hw. with the falling population it would be beneficial for all 3 realms to be able to come together in a confined area easier. really hope you guys either put in horse routes to frontiers or portal keeps bled/beno/dc. currently as a hib i log on, port to alb, run to mmg, and wait 2+ hrs for a solo, usually dont even get 1 fight before i have to log off.
Koochi made the beta quit.

Stoertebeker
Eagle Knight

Postby Stoertebeker » Jul 09, 2017 16:25

YOLKD wrote: currently as a hib i log on, port to alb, run to mmg, and wait 2+ hrs for a solo, usually dont even get 1 fight before i have to log off.

Wrong target...maybe?

YOLKD
Gryphon Knight

Postby YOLKD » Jul 09, 2017 16:36

Stoertebeker wrote:
YOLKD wrote: currently as a hib i log on, port to alb, run to mmg, and wait 2+ hrs for a solo, usually dont even get 1 fight before i have to log off.

Wrong target...maybe?

amg in og is same result.
Koochi made the beta quit.

doubledots
Warder

Postby doubledots » Jul 09, 2017 16:46

Reading all of the above complaints from 50 RVR players just lets me know BGs are where its at. None of those problems exist in the BGs. Seen my share of solo small man 8v8 keep takes and sub optimal groups being made left and right. So looks to me the elites jerks live in 50 RvR so why even leave the BGs when it more fun has all kinds of different action and friendlier more excepting players?

Buuuuuby 50 RVR and your elitest/jerks hello fun in a game..... Whoa hear that Fun and game..... What daoc is suppose to be.

Caemma
Phoenix Knight

Postby Caemma » Jul 09, 2017 19:33

doubledots wrote:Reading all of the above complaints from 50 RVR players just lets me know BGs are where its at. None of those problems exist in the BGs. Seen my share of solo small man 8v8 keep takes and sub optimal groups being made left and right. So looks to me the elites jerks live in 50 RvR so why even leave the BGs when it more fun has all kinds of different action and friendlier more excepting players?

Buuuuuby 50 RVR and your elitest/jerks hello fun in a game..... Whoa hear that Fun and game..... What daoc is suppose to be.

This kind of post are dumb at the same amount as your so called "elitist jerk behaviors".
How old are you? LoL.

The good thing is that who's not able to compete with stronger groups at 50 (for many reasons, time, skill, no guild/friends, etc.), now will have a sort of more accessible endgame to aim for instead of logoff or pve.
Especially since the other option apart from 8v8 was taking keeps or rvr tasks (and zerg ofc, but it wont be 24/7), which at the moment are useless (lord gives an useless amount of rps compared to the huge amount of efforts) or not existent (rvr task).

Anyway, as someone stated, DAoC is an unforgiving game, so if you get steamrolled by stronger groups you cant blame them for that, figure something out (zerg, add, switch zone).
There was a time when Uthgard 1.0 existed and maaaany toons and arrpees arose... but now:
ImageImageImage

doubledots
Warder

Postby doubledots » Jul 09, 2017 21:07

Caemma wrote:
doubledots wrote:Reading all of the above complaints from 50 RVR players just lets me know BGs are where its at. None of those problems exist in the BGs. Seen my share of solo small man 8v8 keep takes and sub optimal groups being made left and right. So looks to me the elites jerks live in 50 RvR so why even leave the BGs when it more fun has all kinds of different action and friendlier more excepting players?

This kind of post are dumb at the same amount as your so called "elitist jerk behaviors".
How old are you? LoL.

The good thing is that who's not able to compete with stronger groups at 50 (for many reasons, time, skill, no guild/friends, etc.), now will have a sort of more accessible endgame to aim for instead of logoff or pve.
Especially since the other option apart from 8v8 was taking keeps or rvr tasks (and zerg ofc, but it wont be 24/7), which at the moment are useless (lord gives an useless amount of rps compared to the huge amount of efforts) or not existent (rvr task).

Anyway, as someone stated, DAoC is an unforgiving game, so if you get steamrolled by stronger groups you cant blame them for that, figure something out (zerg, add, switch zone).

What the truth hurt? Look im on pad right now waiting on a port back to a BG. And I am in a group that is not optimal at all.. but we are killing and getting killed and everyone is just having fun.

There is no.. what no det 5 /boot. or other elitist behavior that is 50 rvr out here. Why do the elitist 50's get so up in a funk when the casuals start to play BGs and just have fun?

Caemma
Phoenix Knight

Postby Caemma » Jul 09, 2017 21:30

doubledots wrote:What the truth hurt? Look im on pad right now waiting on a port back to a BG. And I am in a group that is not optimal at all.. but we are killing and getting killed and everyone is just having fun.

There is no.. what no det 5 /boot. or other elitist behavior that is 50 rvr out here. Why do the elitist 50's get so up in a funk when the casuals start to play BGs and just have fun?

It's the competition that dictate the minimun requirements, not just the people.. that's something you must understand.
I bet that even if i would start on daily basis a group of random classes & specs & RAs, it would still fail 90% of times, and with it all the fun that a "game" should generate. It's not 2001 anymore, people don't go rvr without temp, or voice comms.. there is less "random fights" to go for... especially during low pop times.

Therefore, about your example: Yes, a tank must take determination 5 as first pick, because its simply the best realm ability you can get, if you have at least a very tiny understanding of the game.

Speaking for myself, I'm happy that those battlegrounds have been enlarged because the previous settings (even if livelike) were pretty useless, infact nobody was using them.
But I don't see them as a "cure" for the casual rvr problem, since I would rather enhanche the 50 rvr to include all possible people instead of splitting them in a sandbox for kids all the times, "forcing" them to create more toons every time they reach 3L3 (which will happen still very shortly for an "endgame").
There was a time when Uthgard 1.0 existed and maaaany toons and arrpees arose... but now:
ImageImageImage

doubledots
Warder

Postby doubledots » Jul 09, 2017 21:38

Caemma wrote:
doubledots wrote:What the truth hurt? Look im on pad right now waiting on a port back to a BG. And I am in a group that is not optimal at all.. but we are killing and getting killed and everyone is just having fun.

It's the competition that dictate the minimun requirements, not just the people.. that's something you must understand.
I bet that even if i would start on daily basis a group of random classes & specs & RAs, it would still fail 90% of times, and with it all the fun that a "game" should generate.

Therefore, about your example: Yes, a tank must take determination 5 as first pick, because its simply the best realm ability you can get, if you have at least a very tiny understanding of the game.

Speaking for myself, I'm happy that those battlegrounds have been enlarged because the previous settings (even if livelike) were pretty useless, infact nobody was using them.
But I don't see them as a "cure" for the casual rvr problem, since I would rather enhanche the 50 rvr to include all possible people instead of splitting them in a sandbox for kids all the times, "forcing" them to create more toons every time they reach 3L3 (which will happen still very shortly for an "endgame").

No big deal for me. I will enjoy going thru the BGs over and over esp since I will use the same gear over and over.

Perfect play style for me and my wife is BGs and I think in the end you will see more of us then 50 rvr players.

PreviousNext

Return to News