Another Grab Bag bites the dust!

Here you can comment on news articles.
fremster
Eagle Knight

Postby fremster » May 10, 2015 22:20

Trishin wrote:
1. The longer the server stays down, the less people there will be when the server repons.
2. Working without a deadline means that the work just keeps extending itself. There's always something extra to fix. I would think that the devs would prefer a deadline even for their own sanity.
3. The devs have put in the most work on this project for sure, but the community has put in so much to make this project what it is. They've put in time into the server, as well as some people putting in money. Not saying that means they should be able to whine constantly, but it does mean that they should expect so accountability from the devs.

This is actually a good list to respond to so I will:

1. We are aware of this, however I think 99% will hear about us reopening in some way (through facebook, emails, or otherwise), and in most cases these people will come back even if only to see what we have done and then return to their new games/family/etc. The loss of players to other games, family, etc is something that is very hard to compete with, even if we were to come online tomorrow.

2. We are aware of this. We don't have a deadline simply because we tried that type of work in the past and it drove everyone insane / to quit the project. It is a volunteer job after all, so having to worry about deadlines etc tends to make people simply quit rather than get the job done. Now with that being said, we do have a set list of things we need to finish before we reopen the server. We don't want to make this list public though as we don't want to disappoint people if we decide to remove stuff from that list in order to open faster or because a solution didn't turn out as we wanted it to.

3. The community is why we are doing this. We love the passion from our players, however it is vital to our survival that the developers (/staff in general) is finding it fun and rewarding to work on this server. We take that of a higher priority than responding to player concerns on the forum, etc. (I hope you will forgive us, and understand) And of course we are accountable for our players and community, it is this accountability that makes us want to deliver a good product for you to enjoy. (and partly what makes it fun to be a staff member - at least for me.)

Very nice reply, it is good to hear.

However, I have 1 concern which still holds true. The person who holds the key to the server is not active (amongst the forums at least). This can be seen through his recent lack of posts which by the last time I checked was something like 1 year ago.
For someone who has played Uthgard for many many years, we all know Blue calls the shots, and I expect his core piece of work is at a stand still while the other devs are improving features around this.

I guess this is not something anyone can answer, but my question is, when/if will we see Blue on here again? :)

kildich
Warder

Postby kildich » May 10, 2015 22:32

shurick wrote:
Trishin wrote: Now with that being said, we do have a set list of things we need to finish before we reopen the server. We don't want to make this list public though..

Ohhhh, if I could only get my hands on that list to see what exactly is taking so long and whats so important to wait 18 month for. All I can tell you, its better be a one GOOD list or there will be a lot of disappointed people after all this waiting.

I assume there was some kind of list when this server went offline in Jan 2014, and original estimate according to dev posts at the time was several month. What happened to that list and how did it grow to a year and a half downtime is something I cant understand real well, sorry. Would be nice to hear that story one day, but I kinda gave hoping for it.

Some people are just never happy no matter what they are told. Your not going to see the list, that was made clear. Also it better be a good list? Really? Kind of sounded like a threat to me. I would guess most of what they are working on we won't even really see when the server comes back up. A lot of these are behind the scenes. I personally don't care about the story about why its taking as long as it is. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST SHUT UP WITH ALL THE COMPLAINING OR GO AWAY AND FIND ANOTHER FREE DARK AGE SERVER..... oh wait.

shurick
Myrmidon

Postby shurick » May 10, 2015 22:57

You are right, there is nowhere else to go, so I guess I will maybe stick around. And no, it wasn't a threat. Who can I threat with anything here really? Only thing I am capable of doing is going to play another mmo and no one would really care about that anyways. I will leave that decision up to myself tho. Does that sound like a threat to you? Take it for what it is.

Also, what I think you should stop doing kildich, is telling people how to conduct themselves on the forums here. People come here to voice there opinion and they don't really care weather you like to see that kind of posts or not. If you don't, maybe its YOU who should go away and find another free dark age server... oh wait.
Sarge - Healer
Zulus - Berserker
Alec / Aleck - Percival, Albion

Njor
Eagle Knight

Postby Njor » May 10, 2015 22:59

fremster wrote:
Trishin wrote:
1. The longer the server stays down, the less people there will be when the server repons.
2. Working without a deadline means that the work just keeps extending itself. There's always something extra to fix. I would think that the devs would prefer a deadline even for their own sanity.
3. The devs have put in the most work on this project for sure, but the community has put in so much to make this project what it is. They've put in time into the server, as well as some people putting in money. Not saying that means they should be able to whine constantly, but it does mean that they should expect so accountability from the devs.

This is actually a good list to respond to so I will:

1. We are aware of this, however I think 99% will hear about us reopening in some way (through facebook, emails, or otherwise), and in most cases these people will come back even if only to see what we have done and then return to their new games/family/etc. The loss of players to other games, family, etc is something that is very hard to compete with, even if we were to come online tomorrow.

2. We are aware of this. We don't have a deadline simply because we tried that type of work in the past and it drove everyone insane / to quit the project. It is a volunteer job after all, so having to worry about deadlines etc tends to make people simply quit rather than get the job done. Now with that being said, we do have a set list of things we need to finish before we reopen the server. We don't want to make this list public though as we don't want to disappoint people if we decide to remove stuff from that list in order to open faster or because a solution didn't turn out as we wanted it to.

3. The community is why we are doing this. We love the passion from our players, however it is vital to our survival that the developers (/staff in general) is finding it fun and rewarding to work on this server. We take that of a higher priority than responding to player concerns on the forum, etc. (I hope you will forgive us, and understand) And of course we are accountable for our players and community, it is this accountability that makes us want to deliver a good product for you to enjoy. (and partly what makes it fun to be a staff member - at least for me.)

Very nice reply, it is good to hear.

However, I have 1 concern which still holds true. The person who holds the key to the server is not active (amongst the forums at least). This can be seen through his recent lack of posts which by the last time I checked was something like 1 year ago.
For someone who has played Uthgard for many many years, we all know Blue calls the shots, and I expect his core piece of work is at a stand still while the other devs are improving features around this.

I guess this is not something anyone can answer, but my question is, when/if will we see Blue on here again? :)

Blues last post was about 6 weeks ago, end of March... in any case, just assume he prioritises getting this server up instead of answereing stupid posts :D

cheers

Lucifire
Gryphon Knight

Postby Lucifire » May 11, 2015 00:21

3. Will pets / mobs follow players when they stealth?

All monsters will behave as they did prior to the stealth fixes in 1.87 - they will follow relentlessly.

Ostdrauka
Myrmidon

Postby Ostdrauka » May 11, 2015 13:28

Lucifire wrote:3. Will pets / mobs follow players when they stealth?
All monsters will behave as they did prior to the stealth fixes in 1.87 - they will follow relentlessly.

:wall: :lol: :wall: :lol: :wall: :lol: :wall: :angry: :angry:
If you become irate, angry, wrathful, furious, ireful, wroth or indignent by anything that I say to you or just in general; you should always remember, it's only because I care that I pay attention in the first place.

ZerGlinG
Myrmidon

Postby ZerGlinG » May 11, 2015 23:30

I saw Blue online on 05.05.2015 here. He's alive! :wink:
Mein DAOC-Feeling: (Sound aufdrehen! :gaga:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uJ_gdEdMp8

„Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit,
aber bei dem Universum bin ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher.“ - Albert Einstein

Infinitum
Gryphon Knight

Postby Infinitum » May 11, 2015 23:39

ZerGlinG wrote:I saw Blue online on 05.05.2015 here. He's alive! :wink:

Blue checks the forum regularly.
The Lone Assassin

Formerly: Infinitum - Uthgard 1

Infinitum Style: https://youtu.be/Xae13-nWnBw

Arinmir
Warder

Postby Arinmir » May 12, 2015 16:21

Hi,

I have not read all but most of the posts. However, I still have a few questions.

What will be the duration and reuse timer set of PoM and Invig (Endu) potions?

Will Avoidance of Magic (AoM) also reduce the duration of Croud Control (CC) effects (like it did before the introduction of primary and secondary resists with new Frontiers, which was not bad at all because it reduced the damage done by debuff nuke assists)?

Will the Group-finder work at all? (The button you could use to set you LFG and search for LFG’s used on live a lot in classic and SI times?) Are there plans to introduce an automated group building tool like they are currently trying on live?

Will the not live like customization of skin-changes for weapons, armor and cloaks be available again? I can judge by the skin of an Item what it should be and thereby estimate the opponents equipment and damage. This was nullified with the introduction of (especially) weapon skin changes.

thx!

fremster
Eagle Knight

Postby fremster » May 12, 2015 16:25

Infinitum wrote:
ZerGlinG wrote:I saw Blue online on 05.05.2015 here. He's alive! :wink:

Blue checks the forum regularly.

I don't doubt that his heart is still beating, but he used to be active on here, showing direction, replying to threads etc.
Before his last post (6 weeks or so ago), there was a period of 1 year with nothing :p

relvinian
Phoenix Knight

Postby relvinian » May 12, 2015 21:11

****** or get off the pot, move it or milk it, fish or cut bait.
https://www.uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37632

Players can greatly contribute to a server if you let them.

Uthgard, still the best server. Thanks, Devs.

riad
Banned

Postby riad » May 12, 2015 22:54

relvinian wrote:****** or get off the pot, move it or milk it, fish or cut bait.

Did you refuse to take your meds again?

Arinmir wrote:Hi,

I have not read all but most of the posts. However, I still have a few questions.

What will be the duration and reuse timer set of PoM and Invig (Endu) potions?

Will Avoidance of Magic (AoM) also reduce the duration of Croud Control (CC) effects (like it did before the introduction of primary and secondary resists with new Frontiers, which was not bad at all because it reduced the damage done by debuff nuke assists)?

Will the Group-finder work at all? (The button you could use to set you LFG and search for LFG’s used on live a lot in classic and SI times?) Are there plans to introduce an automated group building tool like they are currently trying on live?

Will the not live like customization of skin-changes for weapons, armor and cloaks be available again? I can judge by the skin of an Item what it should be and thereby estimate the opponents equipment and damage. This was nullified with the introduction of (especially) weapon skin changes.

thx!

Thank you for your questions. Please see September Grab Bag for answers.

Stay tuned for hot news

Fangrolmerc
INVADER

Postby Fangrolmerc » May 13, 2015 05:32

post as much grab bags as you want. the server is not up yet at the end of the day.
i couldn't care less about text updates. just open the server so people can play some daoc already
Fangrol 8l4 Mercenary.

Austerim
Alerion Knight

Postby Austerim » May 13, 2015 05:55

fremster wrote:Very nice reply, it is good to hear.

[3:55pm] * Austerim slaps [Uth]BlueM around a bit with a large trout
[3:55pm] * @[Uth]BlueM slaps Austerim around a bit with a large trout

Proof he's alive!
[3:10pm] <myrmidon^> You have to be a c*** to be awesome at daoc
[3:10pm] <myrmidon^> that's what I learnt
[3:11pm] <Frosty_> then why does austerim suck
lordgriffon wrote:Oh by the way... ever seen a group of 8 smite clerics? Or play against a group like that? I have. Absolute devastation. The group that runs up against them can't kill them fast enough because smite clerics have sooooooo many tools at their disposal combined with decent ranged damage with 8 of them dudes doing it!

jeaf
Myrmidon

Postby jeaf » May 13, 2015 08:01

Trishin wrote:
3. Will pets / mobs follow players when they stealth?

Could you please explain me this? thanks :)

PreviousNext

Return to News