An Ancient Foe - A Proposal

Talk about your RvR experience here
Lewk
Warder

Postby Lewk » Sep 28, 2021 16:47

First off thank you Genjiro for implementing "An Ancient Foe" event! It really added a new/fun dimension to gameplay!

I would like to propose that you keep the Invaders as they are into the future, with two small changes:

#1. Reduce the difficulty of the Doppelganger to make them soloable by melee classes

and

#2. Reduce the RPs down to something closer to 100-200 rps.

This would still give players in extremely low population times SOMETHING that they can do for RPs, while still keeping other forms of RvR (player fighting, keeps, etc) as the primary focus.

joshisanonymous
Myrmidon

Postby joshisanonymous » Sep 28, 2021 18:03

Lewk wrote:First off thank you Genjiro for implementing "An Ancient Foe" event! It really added a new/fun dimension to gameplay!

I would like to propose that you keep the Invaders as they are into the future, with two small changes:

#1. Reduce the difficulty of the Doppelganger to make them soloable by melee classes

and

#2. Reduce the RPs down to something closer to 100-200 rps.

This would still give players in extremely low population times SOMETHING that they can do for RPs, while still keeping other forms of RvR (player fighting, keeps, etc) as the primary focus.

My suggestion for the RP reward (in the official thread) was to distribute it based on the number of attackers like you would for killing enemy players. This would have the same impact that you're looking for but still give people who can only go out solo or with one or two other people (i.e., not in large enough numbers to take keeps) due to low pop times a chance to get some meaningful progress, whereas during higher pop times, it would make more sense to take your number to capture keeps since they would provide more RPs per person than splitting up the 1000 RPs between many people. (To be exact, if splitting the RPs literally by the number of attackers, then once you get to three or more people, capturing a keep for 450 RPs will yield more RPs than killing an invader. This isn't the ideal threshold, of course, so maybe it would make more sense to not split the 1000 RPs literally but to do something like split it in half then add 10% so that, for example, two attackers would get 550 RPs each on invaders.)

In any case, your RP suggestion would mean that people who play during low pop times will simply never be able to make anything close to the RPs that people who play during times when they can field enough players to capture keeps.
*Current Lives*
Might pop in here on my BD sometimes.
(Atlas) Baudith/RM
*Past Lives*
(MLF) Levlin/Rang > (Bors) Kleib/RM > (Kay) Traep/Minst > (Lancelot Cluster) Chasis/Sav > (Ywain) Finnegin/Ment > (Uthgard) Mordigg/BD > (Phoenix) Kroll/SM > (BL2) Baud/Warlock

Ebbie
Myrmidon

Postby Ebbie » Sep 29, 2021 00:05

I like the OPs suggestion for lowering the difficulty and reward to encourage solos to have more opportunity to get these rewards.

I think that 100-200 RPs is appropriate if the difficulty is dropped so that a solo level 40-50 with not the best gear would be able to kill one.

I would also up the # of Invaders up at any given time from 3 back to 5.

Possibly also cap the rewards so that players over RR3 or RR4 do not earn RP anymore. Let this be for low rank players wanting to get a start on starter RAs.

Nakja
Myrmidon

Postby Nakja » Sep 29, 2021 07:16

No rps for pve content please.
Gwyneth, Gwynefer, Naiba, Takhi, Gwyntreth, StarletKristina, Talvi, Mousebear

Wakefield
Myrmidon

Postby Wakefield » Sep 29, 2021 08:51

Nakja wrote:No rps for pve content please.

Already exists with keeptakes with 0 defenders
Wakefield 50 Rej Cleric
Thaddea 50 Sight Necro
Misswhiplash 48 Reaver
On Holiday!
We Play for Keeps

Wakefeld 26 Druid

joshisanonymous
Myrmidon

Postby joshisanonymous » Sep 29, 2021 15:25

FFS, what I'm reading with this nonsense is "let's go back to the launch settings and ensure that the server will never again have over 13 people online at any given time." How on earth do you not put 2 and 2 together to see that this is not simply some "RPs for PvE" event? I know my tone here is harsh, but the biggest obstacles to this server maintaining any sort of population seem to be the people who never quit playing here, from regularly farming XPers (i.e., potentially stopping them from wanting to reach 50 at all) to naysaying over the only successful events Uthgard has implemented in years.

Wakefield wrote:Already exists with keeptakes with 0 defenders

Exactly. God forbid the Uthgard devs implement anything that would bring small groups into open field where they might end up fighting each other as opposed to literally no one ever entering the frontiers except when their realm has the numbers to take some unclaimed keeps against no opposition.
*Current Lives*
(Atlas) Baudith/RM
*Past Lives*
(MLF) Levlin/Rang > (Bors) Kleib/RM > (Kay) Traep/Minst > (Lancelot Cluster) Chasis/Sav > (Ywain) Finnegin/Ment > (Uthgard) Mordigg/BD > (Phoenix) Kroll/SM > (BL2) Baud/Warlock

Ebbie
Myrmidon

Postby Ebbie » Sep 29, 2021 16:45

That cat is so far out of the bag it is never going back. This is the proverbial carrot or the stick. Players know that the carrot exists and devs want players on their servers. Good luck to the server who says no more carrots.

Nakja
Myrmidon

Postby Nakja » Sep 29, 2021 16:47

joshisanonymous wrote:some text

Before the event starts, if you want rps you had search opponent players. If you did'nt found them you pulled guards, attacked keeps or relics. Soon or later you had someone to fight. Now you run circles around spots only because its so more effective.

Its maybe different to your timezone but eu prime is dead. And please stop your trash about some old players.

Edit: The event as one-time event is ok. But please let them end and dont extend.
Gwyneth, Gwynefer, Naiba, Takhi, Gwyntreth, StarletKristina, Talvi, Mousebear

Rudra
Myrmidon

Postby Rudra » Sep 29, 2021 18:45

Hi there,
it is definitely a Pve event, so the empire ranks are massively devalued. if the invaders are actually kept, then put them in the Bg's these are accessible to everyone, even level 40 I would keep.
Why bg's?
Smaller zone, more frequent Rvr encounters possible.
Also possible for the NA players.
A maximum of 1-3 invaders per bg and adaptation of the Rp to the group size, up to a maximum of RR of 5 realm points.
Everything else breaks the server and does not bring new numbers of players.
Many have decided for this server because it is Classic and not some garbage is added that spoils the gaming experience, I quote:

Welcome to Uthgard! A Dark Age of Camelot experience like no other - taking you back to the glory days of one of the greatest MMORPG’s ever created!

A lot has changed since our humble beginnings in 2003 and we’ve come a long way as the first Dark Age of Camelot freeshard. With our diligence and maturity, Uthgard boasts a much more stable, authentic and exploit-free gaming experience than any other freeshard. Our staff are neutral, fair, and have put an incredible amount of time into building this great server. We promise you the most authentic experience that goes above and beyond any other server and a chance to go back in time during Dark Age of Camelot’s classic era.

The vision of Uthgard has changed over time but with our relaunch we are completely focused on an authentic 1.65 experience. We strive to deliver a wonderful classic setting and welcome you to our robust worldwide community that supports and looks after each other.

Greetings

Lewk
Warder

Postby Lewk » Sep 29, 2021 21:22

Keep the invaders with a reduced RP value for small mans.

If you don't, there are huge chunks of time where there is literally nothing for a player to do when they log on other than just log back out.

There are no enemies to fight. There are no keeps to take. They literally just walk in and walk back out.

PvEing keeps for RPs is the defacto RP progression right now. Sadly you can't take keeps with 1-3 players.

Modify the invaders and give players a reason to go out into the frontiers. It sparks action the same way keeps spark action: It is a small incentive that gets players into the frontiers and fighting over common objectives.

Ilerget
Phoenix Knight

Postby Ilerget » Sep 29, 2021 22:35

Lewk wrote:Sadly you can't take keeps with 1-3 players.

is hard but possible, I did it with 3 in one realm and with 2 in another one. ofc lvl 1 keeps
It's the thrill of the chase
and I'm coming after you.

joshisanonymous
Myrmidon

Postby joshisanonymous » Sep 29, 2021 22:54

Rudra wrote:Hi there,
it is definitely a Pve event, so the empire ranks are massively devalued. if the invaders are actually kept, then put them in the Bg's these are accessible to everyone, even level 40 I would keep.
Why bg's?
Smaller zone, more frequent Rvr encounters possible.
Also possible for the NA players.
A maximum of 1-3 invaders per bg and adaptation of the Rp to the group size, up to a maximum of RR of 5 realm points.
Everything else breaks the server and does not bring new numbers of players.
Many have decided for this server because it is Classic and not some garbage is added that spoils the gaming experience, I quote:

Welcome to Uthgard! A Dark Age of Camelot experience like no other - taking you back to the glory days of one of the greatest MMORPG’s ever created!

I'll say it again: enjoy your server with the 13 other players who will stick around once there's another option if this is the approach that's taken. This isn't a PvE event. Your "empire" ranks aren't devalued just because people actually have something to do when they log in. Nothing about this "breaks the server." Your suggestion to move invaders to the BGs or your even worse suggestion elsewhere to place the invaders in keeps are so ridiculously out of touch with why people don't play here that they're hardly worth arguing against.

It's like there's a do-not-resuscitate agreement for Uthgard that some people are going by. Literally the only reason for the GMs to get rid of stuff like this event is if they don't expect the population to change no matter what they do and simply want to keep the 13 or so diehards who will never leave no matter what happy. I can understand if that's how they look at things since it truly is a major uphill battle at this point, but if they have any desire whatsoever to bring some population back and maintain that population then they need to absolutely ignore people like the one quoted above.
*Current Lives*
(Atlas) Baudith/RM
*Past Lives*

Ithiggi
Gryphon Knight

Postby Ithiggi » Sep 30, 2021 02:26

Lewk wrote:
PvEing keeps for RPs is the defacto RP progression right now. Sadly you can't take keeps with 1-3 players.

Have duoed a few keeps back when there was 2 to 6 on server it can be done. I miss OC :(

Rudra
Myrmidon

Postby Rudra » Sep 30, 2021 09:16

Hi there,
I just read "the new players".
Sure, it's nice when the server is back to life, but you should take it as it is.
It has its corners and edges and can only be further developed with the help of everyone and the work of the GM's (thank you very much for your work).
It would have been very nice for everyone if there were still Si to do other things.
I was also on other servers for a while until there were such massive changes that did not meet my expectations and I went back to Uthgard.
But what about the players who consciously chose Uthgard? Accept massive changes and watch "old players" leave the server?
The mistake was made on the other server and all changes the players requested were implemented.
Where is the server today?
Since yesterday some players (also from my guild) went into the Daoc break because of another game.
The players come and go when they are dissatisfied or there is something else.
I'd rather play with "13" other players than break the server.
Greetings to Romu in Albion, without you the server might not be there for a long time. You motivate your teammates and always put something on their feet that benefits everyone. please keep it up.

Greetings

Taraza
Guardian

Postby Taraza » Sep 30, 2021 18:12

Nakja wrote:
joshisanonymous wrote:some text

Before the event starts, if you want rps you had search opponent players. If you did'nt found them you pulled guards, attacked keeps or relics. Soon or later you had someone to fight. Now you run circles around spots only because its so more effective.

Its maybe different to your timezone but eu prime is dead. And please stop your trash about some old players.

Edit: The event as one-time event is ok. But please let them end and dont extend.

Sorry, wrong!

At first you suggest
no rps for pve
. Really? In what way exactly will help this to make the server better and bring more people out to pvp?
Did you really meet enemies if they do keeps? No. There are enough ways to avoid this most the time. I remember times there was no others out then our unbalanced group and we was very glad that we where able to get some rps for doing keeps. Sometimes we get caught by enemies and we deliver lot of rps to them.

Okay, lets think about the - no rps for pve content- suggestion. What will happen? Only balanced and experienced groups will get out to fight your group. If they not online, no one will go out. New players without experience will go out 1 or 2 times, get wiped and then quit.

The Devs searched for a way to help you and your friends -the players who want to do most the time 8vs8 - to get some more encounter in rvr. They find a good way in my eyes to do that. If people avoid to charge your group then try to catch em, set a trap or cross the ways of the groups.

You say also pvp in primetime is dead? You was hib a time, why you left btw? Atm they often search for a druid to bring out a balanced group.

In my eyes the last content delivered by the devs is the proper way o improve. XP Boni is great and help new players. The invader event is great fun too and helping to bring out people in rvr.

Best regards
Taraza

Next

Return to Realm versus Realm