Server Survival

Talk about your RvR experience here
Fishop
Warder

Postby Fishop » Feb 24, 2019 09:08

Hibs have disappeared. I only went all-in to Uth2 recently, so I cannot speak to that experience.

It is now down to Alb vs Mid. From a Mid perspective, we form a ragtag bunch of 45+ to fight off superior number and level Albs taking our keeps. Albs take 3, getting the better of us along the way, before we finally assemble to push them off. They simply come back with more numbers and realm ranks (Lowi, I'm looking at you).

The server health is at a point where its ready to collapse. You can either get your jollies overwhelming absent foes to the point of extinction, or have some semblance of keeping this thing alive, and take into consideration some degree of enticing play for those sticking around.

Your call.

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Feb 24, 2019 10:50

Fishop wrote:Hibs have disappeared. I only went all-in to Uth2 recently, so I cannot speak to that experience.

It is now down to Alb vs Mid. From a Mid perspective, we form a ragtag bunch of 45+ to fight off superior number and level Albs taking our keeps. Albs take 3, getting the better of us along the way, before we finally assemble to push them off. They simply come back with more numbers and realm ranks (Lowi, I'm looking at you).

The server health is at a point where its ready to collapse. You can either get your jollies overwhelming absent foes to the point of extinction, or have some semblance of keeping this thing alive, and take into consideration some degree of enticing play for those sticking around.

Your call.

Relax. There are other things in life as well. Also, no point panicking. In a game this old and considering the worldwide free shard population, this is quite normal. People should not yell DOOMSDAY every time a new server shows up. Of course many people will jump there for a period of time and forcefully implementing some measures to try to prevent that is crazy. My advice to you is that you xp your chars and hoard cash for now, it's a waiting game. Naturally, you don't have to trust me but I'm quite sure I have a pretty good idea how things will unfold. I've been wrong before but not much when it comes to these servers ;).

Give it 2-3-4 months, then we'll see how it goes. Naturally, summer population will be lower regardless but we'll have some indicators on whether we're recovering or not. In the meantime, sit tight and weather the storm...let's not force things and let's focus on long-term strategy. To grow roses in July is easy, all you need is a bit of bug spray and to trim them a bit and all is good. To grow them in November is a pain in the ass because you need special conditions and you really need to commit to it. In other words, no point forcing something and once the environment changes, everything changes. Breathe deep and all will be well :).
It is what it is.

pweet
Lion Knight

Postby pweet » Feb 24, 2019 23:23

Good sit and wait here. Meanwhile the others have a blast on the other server. As soon as they have commited to their chars there and have several rr5+ chars, what are the odds that they come back to an old ra server with no qol?

Malinus
Warder

Postby Malinus » Feb 25, 2019 03:18

I agree with fishop, it would be good to live if the players educated themselves a little.
Between zerg Romu who counts not less than the population hib + mid together and the defender of the useless who break every mid action (lowi I look at you too).
Mid being the last realm to compete again a little.
The RvR is totally dead, it's 100% of the keeptake and if a grp mid comes to defend, alb log out, or conversely if a grp alb comes to defend mid log out.
Recently a hope of intelligent game has appeared simply by upgrading each gates level 4 to fill the lack of action. Except Romu who does not seem to understand that in the end we all play together and that his best friend is obviously his enemies otherwise he will have no game.
The action must be sad albion side for last 10 days? yes reason that since mid is stop after 4 keep, instead of taking back 15 keep per days they must be content with 2 or 3.
They did not understand that by throwing themselves on inc the least keep on fire it is their games that they destroyed. That they would do more rps in take back all keep (1279 with 2 doors level 4 on unclaimed keep vs 800 to kill 5 man with 3 no 50).
What's left? kill xper in dodem? and then hide when a 50 come back and roam 35 minutes (lowi I look at you again)
Of course everyone just plays the game as it should in a server in good health. Of course it would be nice if everyone could have the action they needed to have fun. But when times are hard you have to know how to restrict yourself.
I think the mid-migration will worsen in the coming weeks, because even the most volitional and hard-working I'm part of are totally jaded.
It remains to be seen if the players can play intelligently ...
Last edited by Genjiro on Feb 26, 2019 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rule 2.9

m0e
Myrmidon

Postby m0e » Feb 25, 2019 13:50

Who dares to disturb poeple doing the intelligent game of keeptrading? Whoever came up with the idea to upgrade doors to level 4 on every unclaimed keep is simply genius, he should be the chieftain of all 3 realms, at least he got my vote. Now it is way more attractive to come out and take keeps since you got a higher RP income, what leads to more action.

But keep in mind, to maximize the RP/Hour it would be better to stay out of RvR zones until the other realm captured and upgraded all keeps to level 4. After that it is your turn to raid them back, that way everyone will be happy and we keep this server alive.

Malinus wrote:That they would do more rps in take back all keep (1279 with 2 doors level 4 on unclaimed keep vs 800 to kill 5 man with 3 no 50)

In very few cases defending a keep can also be rewarding, but on the other hand it is boring and will harm our new intelligent gameplay.

Remember, do not join the RvR zone to defend keeps, we will cure this population problem by absence and the only ones losing here are the keep guards!

Your defender of the useless.

Malinus
Warder

Postby Malinus » Feb 25, 2019 14:53

I am at the origin of the gate upgraded (sometimes wasting more than 3 hours to walk alone in hib / alb land just to upgrade behind the mid passage) and many mid followed the movement to support a breath of life on the server.
Albion also begins to upgrade in return, which allows the lack of real action to maintain a semblance of gameplay. (Many thank to GoL and other alb who play intelligently to following upgrade)

Now the crumbs that the defensive bonus brings back when we stop a realm that picks up the keep, do not justify for me , the dry loss of 7/8 another keep it could capture. Interesting by peanuts?

When the population is 500+, this is no problem, some log out, other will log in soon.
When the total population is 50 players, those who log out do not come back, because they are the last active players. And if a realm is constantly blocked by the other, it insists to stop Uthgard completely, that's what is happening right now.

While waiting for the population to improve (if this happens), it would be nice to try to preserve the little that remains to us and not at present to encourage them to stop Uthgar.

Moondragon1
Gryphon Knight

Postby Moondragon1 » Feb 25, 2019 14:55

Not sure why Hibs have "disappeared" as the OP describes it. They have a 10% xp bonus.

Shining
Myrmidon

Postby Shining » Feb 25, 2019 15:26

Moondragon1 wrote:Not sure why Hibs have "disappeared" as the OP describes it. They have a 10% xp bonus.

:lol: :!:

m0e
Myrmidon

Postby m0e » Feb 25, 2019 16:12

Malinus wrote:While waiting for the population to improve (if this happens), it would be nice to try to preserve the little that remains to us and not at present to encourage them to stop Uthgar.

Sounds interesting, maybe the Uthgard-Staff should turn off the PvP-Flag for some time. Or even better... make it a Coop-Server, so we could all raid together. They just have to reset those keeps at some point, so we can start over again. Since there is no hibernian player left, maybe let them just turn into hib keeps after like 4 hours, with hmmm... lets say level 4 doors?

And ofc, as soon as the population will surpass the 500 player mark, the Staff should consider turning PvP-Flags on again.

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Feb 26, 2019 05:57

Start acting like normal human beings, not a bunch of paranoid sissies. Forcefully adapting the environment just to artificially spike the population is the worst idea ever. It's an old game, even during uth1 times summer population was extremely low and it's absolutely natural to expect it to be even lower for 6 months or so if a new server is out. People jump on hype trains and they don't care about quality, they just want quick entertainment. However, they can't just override hardwired mechanisms of the human effort-reward system, and anything you get for free you get bored of relatively quick. Instead of catering to people who just want it quick and easy(and those people will jump on X number of servers if any are launched), long term strategy is needed to attract a stable base of players, even if it takes a year of low population.

You can see this applied in any area of life, particularly sports teams where they set a long term strategy and follow it. The result doesn't matter, even if first 2 seasons are a bust, all of a sudden the work people put in starts paying off. Uthgard should do the same. Fighting with the "other server" for people now is insane, but focusing on long-term goals and letting the "other server" run itself into the ground slowly is a far better tactic, and they're on a good way to that anyway. Why on earth would we even want people who just jump to any hype train as players here anyway?

I can't understand this idiotic reasoning that people are having fun there and therefore Uthgard should do something radical to attract people there? You don't teach spoiled kids anything if all you do is give them more candy and basic human psychology translates to everything, including computer games.

Uthgard 2 in spite of idiotic old RAs and dumb patch level was/is a fine server for RvR, but it's easier for people to whine than to actually do RvR and no matter how many people all these reboots or new servers attract initially, the stable number of players always evens out to pretty much the same number. The composition of the population is a far bigger problem than the numbers, and most people don't want to RvR and learn to play at least one class properly. Of course they will have fun for a few months if everything is handed out for free, but again...they cannot bypass human biology and they will get bored of it. The free shard population since the Uth1 wipe is not one that really wants to RvR and learn, unless you count the quasi 8v8 elitists who arrange fights all the time on any server. By my rough estimation, based on the people I knew, played with or against and knew of, we did lose around 200 RvR active people who didn't whine about realm ranks, setting, relics etc. and just went out there and played a few hours every evening. And by no means were all of these people some solo or 8v8 elitists, many of them were just keep taking guilds who didn't avoid inc if they knew there was inc.

If people really wanted for Uthgard to be a more populated server, they should play here. You can't just wait for some place to become what you think is Utopia, and then come there and enjoy. You need to contribute and create that environment. So log on, try to build something, show up 3x a week for 2 hours even if you die repeatedly and learn to play one class properly. Ask around, farm some money while semi afk, find a group of friends you'll play with etc. There are other things in life, not just daoc. If Uthgard is not populated, I certainly won't play on a dumb server with rps given out left and right, mixed old and new RAs, mixed patch levels, changed damage tables and so on. To my understanding it's not daoc anyway and I'm not addicted to the game so I have no need to jump to something slightly resembling a game I love just to get my fix, I rather stay away from it and log on Uthgard to say hi to people, do some crafting etc., which means there is 1 less person playing there and 1 more on Uthgard. If more people did that and not just expect some ideal environment they can they walk into, we'd have a nice server. The "Population" is not some god/entity/idea/mystical force etc., it's made out of individuals who make a conscious choice to be a part of it and contribute. Any server that has a population consisted of people who are delusional and just jump on something new and shiny is doomed to fail anyway.

Funny thing is, I see a lot of people whine on forum how there is no inc on Uthgard but most of these people never went out to RvR when there was inc and when "the other server" wasn't even in the making. Most of these people who jumped to "the other server" will jump on any hype train and after failing to compete and not to whine on multiple free shards, they always see the next server released as their Utopia, it's just people being people...delusional. If you want a stable environment, you need to build it yourself and if enough individuals make a personal choice to do something and act together, a lot can be accomplished and tbh that's the only way to change the world as well, yet people always look for some messiah/government/ideology etc. It is what it is, can't be helped :D. I hear a lot of people on discord talking about a "dead server", this and that, low population and that they don't want to play there due to low population etc. I mean, at first their argument seems kinda reasonable but what they're basically saying is that they really don't even have any special desire to stick to something and help build it, they just want a ready-made environment where they will have fun. Whether the "other server" is the best thing ever or not, time will tell. However, regardless of what it is and how good or bad it is, people would have jumped on ANY hype train, because that's what people do. We also need to stop talking about low population and dead server in definitive terms. I mean, if you have the need to literally call Doomsday on some free shard emulating an almost 20 year old game, then you have mental problems. Weather the storm and things will change, they always do in nature, they do in life, they also do in game. Nothing stays the same forever and the more work you put in, the more fun you can potentially have.
It is what it is.

Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Feb 26, 2019 17:04

Low hib pop here could be due to excessive armsman damage...
sshot194.jpg

Just teasing :lol:

See you all on the battlefield!
Bonz - Arran - Masticore - Rhakan

Alb Morgan le Fay: Bonzki
Hib Merlin: Grahmdal

Alcan
Gryphon Knight

Postby Alcan » Feb 26, 2019 19:50

Once again Valfar you make a NOVEL abut same stuff! plz stop

Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Feb 27, 2019 02:30

**cough** **cough**
This 'classic vanilla' shard has been live for mere months, we now have RvR teleportation and themepark minigames and now people want ToA put in?
**cough** *cough**

Sorry, I was going to agree with Valfar, and say that people will start coming back soon...but something got stuck in my throat.
Bonz - Arran - Masticore - Rhakan

Alb Morgan le Fay: Bonzki
Hib Merlin: Grahmdal

Malinus
Warder

Postby Malinus » Feb 27, 2019 19:33

Fishop's post is not there caught screaming that doomsday is close, even though he says <ready to collapse>.
The most important thing to remember is that the imbalance of the realm is widening more and more.
Once again when the server dispaly 500+ player, unbalance realm does not matter.

Even if I do the same analysis as Valfar on this population that has migrated and on his estimate of active players in RvR who are gone.
The question is not whether they will come back, or how many of them? But what are we doing right now to keep what we have left?

Do I have the profile of someone who is quickly discouraged or who is going to complain for nothing?
<It's too hard to xp!>, <It's too hard to have a level 50!>, <It's too hard stuff a character!>, <It's too hard to have a 5L +!>
Certainly not, and like those who have decided to stay on Uthgard, we are brave, we persevere, we want to stay on Uthgard and we are fighting for this server to stay alive.

Now if you want to talk about spychology, the base player is totally devoid of logic and will not hesitate to destroy his game to enjoy his instant pleasure.

When Mid farmed the relics this summer, we saw a migration of Hibernian and Albionese players coming to Midgard. And when Albion farm the reliks the following months, then mid to migrate to Albion ...
Logic would like that if you want to keep a minimum of balance (necessary to preserve your game), it would have had to switch to the realm that have the least effective what could have prevented the disappearance of hibernia?
It is not by switching every time to the most beneficial realm of the moment that you will help to keep a minimum of population and action on your game.

When I say <Players should educate themselves> this is for all players, all realm confused.

We are in an aircraft over the ocean, we have 1200 km to go to approach the nearest land and we only have fuel to travel 1000 km.Suddenly a fuel leak, instead of slowing down and trying to plug the leak, we want to accelerate to travel the most distance per second (which is taken is taken) ...

Right now on the mid side it's 8 hous to spam / lfg to build a 4 man for taking few keep, we are joined after the first keep or second by 1 or 2 level 45 unstuff, which is often not do not strengthen the group but weaken it (mana waste to constant healing lowbie), and the next keep 7 alb are waiting for us ...

There is nothing supernatural to be discouraged! Of course they only play the game ideally normal and they were bored too, waiting few hours for a semblance of action.

But now, they enjoyed the instant pleasure, kill mid who log out, took back the 3 keep (30 minutes) and they are back to exactly the same point as before Mig log out <we have nothing to do>.

What the population curve does not show, it is these 15 players that I say to have lost in the last 2 weeks. They log in, look at the alliance channel (6 man all soloing), he tries a lfg and disconnects 4 minutes later, he may try later in the evening.
Players log in, but are no longer active !!!

We are all responsible for the present, past and future gameplay , If we had not crush Hibernia this summer, there would be today 3 realm present (although it is mostly leaders missing hib side) .

There have been several post on the subject of imbalance of the realm, if the players were not so selfish, we probably could have avoided hibernia disappearing.

People comfort themselves <I only play the game>, <It's not my problem>, <They have all what they need to compete>, while when the population of a kingdom falls it becomes difficult even impossible to compete when enemies always come back in more numbers.Do you need enemies to have action? So that's the problem of all of us.

The staff can not do anything for the players, it is up to them to adapt their game to the environment. If you lack action, it is not by fleeing the last rivals that you will improve your game.

Do not make Midgard disappear!

erock25
Warder

Postby erock25 » Feb 27, 2019 20:06

You are delusional if you think population on this Server will ever recover. No one is crying Doomsday anymore, it's already happened... The 40/4000 left are just the survivors squabbling over the ruins. People can complain about Summer lulls or that it's an old game but then why is an opposing server seeing numbers that Uthgard isn't? Valfar would have us believe that those people are weak or not as cut out for the grind as him etc. etc. but the simple fact is that people are playing elsewhere and the people with any power to change this server have been dark for months. Where is Blue? Where is even Abydos? The last news post promising consistent monthly news posts was in August of last year. Sure Genjiro pops up every now and then to delete posts and tell us news is coming, but what type of news could even hope to revive this server if it honestly came at all. Argue with me if you want, but at this point everyone here is arguing into the void.

Next

Return to Realm versus Realm