Server Survival

Talk about your RvR experience here
Malinus
Warder

Postby Malinus » Feb 27, 2019 20:38

4000 players? Maybe the first 2/3 months, but the population of all the Freeshard evolve ALL of the same way, it is you who is illusory.
The only current strength of the server Rival is its strong popoulation and the 65% weak that describes so well Valfar who already asks for a wipe !!!
When in 2 months the population will fall to 1500 like all other servers (going 3 months candy distribution will maintain a little longer than the normal).
Players who love DAOC, like to deserve what they receive, there is more than you think. It is not a DAOC fast food that will retain them, only the current population boom, it only benefits a moment ephemeral.
It would take me 6 months to build elsewhere what I built on Uthgard, but the reality is that I would have stopped before because tired not having any challenge.
What I find funny is that you come post on the forum of a server that you seem to have desert. What is it for? If you have nothing to say, do not say anything, and let the people who are ready with a minimum of sacrifice to save and play the only server that does not just look like DAOC.

And it's still the fault of Staff Uthgard who does not distribute enough sweets, totally forgetting that all of them are volunteers, a life, a job and that they take on their free time to offer content to people who the denigates them as soon as another server pop.

erock25
Warder

Postby erock25 » Feb 27, 2019 21:00

See though, its just the same old argument. Even if you use a quarter of the population at launch its still a population drop of 96%... Everyone here loves to justify that by saying "Oh well the REAL players who stayed are the ones who deserved it". If thats true though than why is every post of those left complaining about the slowly diminishing population? My point is that there are multiple rationalizations people throw around to justify the current state of things, but the reality is that poor dev level decision making burned bridges for a consistent player base long ago, and once a viable alternative arose to compete, even those left steering have jumped ship.

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Feb 27, 2019 21:36

erock25 wrote:You are delusional if you think population on this Server will ever recover. No one is crying Doomsday anymore, it's already happened... The 40/4000 left are just the survivors squabbling over the ruins. People can complain about Summer lulls or that it's an old game but then why is an opposing server seeing numbers that Uthgard isn't? Valfar would have us believe that those people are weak or not as cut out for the grind as him etc. etc. but the simple fact is that people are playing elsewhere and the people with any power to change this server have been dark for months. Where is Blue? Where is even Abydos? The last news post promising consistent monthly news posts was in August of last year. Sure Genjiro pops up every now and then to delete posts and tell us news is coming, but what type of news could even hope to revive this server if it honestly came at all. Argue with me if you want, but at this point everyone here is arguing into the void.

Time will tell. Uthgard had 5k people for a few months when it relaunched. Many people revisit for nostalgia or because someone recommended the game but most of them quit eventually. They quit because well, this isn't a game for them. Excuses are always the same, high RRs, someone had it easy in the beginning bla bla. What ultimately happens is that the population stabilizes around the same number of players/addicts who always play, which is roughly a few thousand active players worldwide spread across all time zones, which means at certain times of the day population is very low. I really don't like judging things based on a one month or even a few months period, it takes longer to get a somewhat realistic picture of things.

I really hate be an apologist for the Uthgard staff, but the fact is that over the years they've invested thousands of hours of their free time to provide us with a great server. And don't get me wrong, many people on the forum have reasonable requests and the staff should have listened to them, but there is so much whining going on(usually from worst, most spoiled and completely delusional players who want it easy in all aspects of the game, and many of them seem to have deeper mental problems) and if I try to put myself in their shoes, I can somewhat understand them. Dealing with this for 10+ years would be insanely difficult for anyone, and on top of developing the server, having their jobs and families + other hobbies, you can't really find that much free time to filter out all the garbage from the reasonable requests. Uthgard 2 can't hold a candle to Uthgard 1, especially in terms of players, but is indeed a very much playable server and if people wanted to RvR, they'd enjoy it. With all the flaws of old RAs and this patch level, if more people went out to the frontiers, it would be nice. You don't need to be a pro gamer to have fun playing DAOC. Everyone can learn the basics of their class and what they need to do in theory. Anything you lack in reflexes or maybe raw talent for this type of game, you can compensate for with willingness to learn and ultimately knowledge of the game. That won't make you the best player, but it will allow you to compete at a certain level and even be a part of a strong group where you do a specific job and ultimately have fun.

Dunno about you but dozens of times I've ran into people who are level 49 or 50 and still don't know how to buff properly and often to the point where they completely ****** it up. Worst thing is, the first thing these people say proudly is how they have been playing this game since the beginning and they get offended when you give them friendly advice in an indirect way. So with regards to fast XP or insta 50 or whatever, I'd have nothing against that if at least 50% of the population were people who REALLY have the "Man, I can't wait to ding 50 and just RvR", even if they're not the best players in the world but have the desire to play. The problem is that most people think they want to RvR but they really just want to win. Zerging gets boring after a while because there is no sense of accomplishment there. If you win, most of the time it's because of the numbers and even if the numbers were roughly equal, it's hard to tell how much good you did in that fight. At least when it comes to any kind of DAOC fights involving a non-zerg roughly equal numbers on both sides, whether you win or lose you know you + your friends either performed well or didn't, so no matter the outcome you were a part of it and you feel like the pilot, not the passenger. So in a nutshell, people who have no clue about the game asking for more and more QoL is insane and ultimately game comes down to RvR, no matter how many alts you reroll at some point you will have to compete or quit.

Ultimately, if more people just went to RvR and really wanted to learn how to play their class and stuck to it, even if it's only once or twice a week, eventually it would be more and more fun for everyone. So what, you get steamrolled a few times every night but if enough people went out and played, you'd also get a fair number of fights against all sorts of groups and players of various skill levels. Most people reroll many alts after 1 wipe then some months later they complain about other people's high RRs.

To go back to my original point, I hate to be an apologist for the Uthgard staff, but as someone who has organized around 1000 dragon raids(uth1+2 combined) and given out countless templates and items, wrote guides, asked friends to write guides for people on classes I didn't know how to play well etc., I don't feel like Blue or anyone else owes me anything, including updates. I'm an adult and I've made a conscious choice to play here, therefore I accept the rules. As much as I disagree with some of the Uthgard staff members on many things, I still respect the time they've invested to provide us with great servers. I think their biggest mistake was not meeting reasonable players half-way by giving us multiple charge potions, porters etc. since the beginning and because they're trying to emulate something from almost 20 years ago when the world was different and every server had 2-3k people online at any time and people were super motivated to experience this game as something new and exciting. You can't emulate something like that and "teleport" it to a new age without making certain adjustments. I think that was their biggest failure, just adapting things a little bit. And well, my best assumption is that they don't play the game enough to instinctively know what these things are. That being said, I still understand them to a degree because so much whining creates such an effect and you get blinded.

At some point, you have to be a man and make a stand, pick your poison and roll with the punches while trying to make the environment better by contributing, and not just expect you'll arrive to some Utopia(it's a psychological truth that people would not be happy in an ideal world anyway and they'd create chaos just to have something to do, we're bored without some kind of struggle). My choice is to play here and I have no desire to play on that "other server", especially because I know a few things about some people who make decisions there, and I find it morally objectionable to be associated with those individuals in any way, shape or form. As much as I disagree with Uthgard staff members, I do believe that for the most part their heart is in the right place and I appreciate hours they've put in over the years. With all the flaws this server has, figuratively speaking...the staff has provided us with a quality piece of leather, it's up to us what kind of shoes we make from it.

Sorry for the rant and for repeating myself for the 100th time(I'm kinda hoping that if people read this ****** enough times, it will resonate when they actually experience what I'm talking about and maybe they will at least think about it, even if they just glimpsed over my rants XD). Anyhow, I'm not trying to turn this into a debate and I respect your opinion, I can see where you're coming from. Maybe I'm wrong but I've dealt with a lot of people on this server and human nature is what it is, I doubt any setting will ultimately be free of whining and Doomsday calling, especially if a large portion of the population wants the environment to completely adapt to them, instead of the other way around. Peace.
It is what it is.

Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Feb 27, 2019 23:13

I wish I saw more people going to the solo/duo/trio bonus zone.

I'm guilty of not really "participating" atm...it seems like just keeps changing hands...so I've decided to remake my enchanter. He's only 39...but I've ran a few laps around the bonus zone from time to time...and there's just nobody...while leveling in frontiers (at undisclosed locations 8) ) I can go entire sessions w/o seeing any death spam.

I've also have a fresh 47 infil in caledonia that has literally done nothing...I spent a few 2 hour sessions sitting on MB there before I went to hib. (Have to love window mode and console emulators...ok maybe somebody did show up in cale but I missed them b/c I was playing mortal kombat on 1/3rd my screen...)

I just have to say too...to the new server fanbois...if you've found Utopia and staff that listen to QQ better (**cough** Abort the 3 minute penalty...the people are QQing on forums!!! **cough**) and you claim all these dramatic things "they burned bridges" "they lost my trust"...why do you still come to these forums? Isn't this valuable time you could be playing zerg-ball? If you're really sold on it...why not delete all your chars here, take a screenie of it, print it out, write an emotional note to Blue on the back, and mail it to Germany?
Bonz - Arran - Masticore - Rhakan

Alb Morgan le Fay: Bonzki
Hib Merlin: Grahmdal

RandomNoob
Myrmidon

Postby RandomNoob » Feb 28, 2019 00:43

Grahmdal wrote:I wish I saw more people going to the solo/duo/trio bonus zone.

I'm guilty of not really "participating" atm...it seems like just keeps changing hands...so I've decided to remake my enchanter. He's only 39...but I've ran a few laps around the bonus zone from time to time...and there's just nobody...while leveling in frontiers (at undisclosed locations 8) ) I can go entire sessions w/o seeing any death spam.

I've also have a fresh 47 infil in caledonia that has literally done nothing...I spent a few 2 hour sessions sitting on MB there before I went to hib. (Have to love window mode and console emulators...ok maybe somebody did show up in cale but I missed them b/c I was playing mortal kombat on 1/3rd my screen...)

I just have to say too...to the new server fanbois...if you've found Utopia and staff that listen to QQ better (**cough** Abort the 3 minute penalty...the people are QQing on forums!!! **cough**) and you claim all these dramatic things "they burned bridges" "they lost my trust"...why do you still come to these forums? Isn't this valuable time you could be playing zerg-ball? If you're really sold on it...why not delete all your chars here, take a screenie of it, print it out, write an emotional note to Blue on the back, and mail it to Germany?

Personally I am not enamored with the keep take repair to 4 meta-game either but I'll come out and participate to be a team player and just to hang out. Sometimes there are a defender or two who get some kills and it also opens DF for our lowbies and gets fresh levelers their first ranks pretty quick.

I ran around Alb the other night and didn't see anyone, although I did find Lowi's gravestone near Lady Nimue and danced on it. Since he seems to suicide jump from keeps to avoid letting you get a death spam on him, I figured that was as close as I would get. I will try to come 'visit' you in Hib this week, undisclosed locations notwithstanding.

If you are in Caledonia you don't want to sit at the bridge at the present time, I haven't played in a few months till a few weeks ago but John Stoddard is where people are at. It was sad to move on from the BG and leave my RoG farm there but there are still people logging in here and there to kill him.

As far as why they come back to gloat? They need validation. Insecure, affected people find safety amongst fellow devotees of the hive mind. Anyone with divergent views is an existential threat to their fragile ego. You see it in politics, in the culture wars, in other aspects of society. Some people won't be severing their ties here because its their fall back plan when things go grim on their present amusement ride. One would hope that when/if they slink back they would just play the game and refrain from board QQ, but alas we know this will not be the case. I say when life gives you lemons.....enjoy the calm, relatively agitation free environment here at present.

RazorRamon
Gryphon Knight

Postby RazorRamon » Feb 28, 2019 19:29

What server survival? Everything is great here. The roses are blooming, the cities bustling and Hibs are out and about as far as the eye can see (comforts everyone with sweet lies) anyone who claims otherwise is fake news.

Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Mar 01, 2019 01:34

Well...looks like I avoided random noob while xping today...and I'll be darned, just as was wrapping up...a Hibernian group took scaith back.

Razor is probably right though...nothing left to do here besides troll the forums.
Bonz - Arran - Masticore - Rhakan

Alb Morgan le Fay: Bonzki
Hib Merlin: Grahmdal

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Mar 01, 2019 11:14

Grahmdal wrote:Well...looks like I avoided random noob while xping today...and I'll be darned, just as was wrapping up...a Hibernian group took scaith back.

Razor is probably right though...nothing left to do here besides troll the forums.

Sit tight, weather the storm, stay strong and be an army of one if needed. If enough people did that, we're good in a few months :D. Ebb and flow of all things is the natural law of the universe, we're fine. And remember, you were in my Wildfire deck back in the day!
It is what it is.

Ilerget
Phoenix Knight

Postby Ilerget » Mar 01, 2019 11:21

Malinus wrote:I agree with fishop, it would be good to live if the players educated themselves a little.
Between zerg Romu who counts not less than the population hib + mid together and the defender of the useless who break every mid action (lowi I look at you too).
Mid being the last realm to compete again a little.
The RvR is totally dead, it's 100% of the keeptake and if a grp mid comes to defend, alb log out, or conversely if a grp alb comes to defend mid log out.
Recently a hope of intelligent game has appeared simply by upgrading each gates level 4 to fill the lack of action. Except Romu who does not seem to understand that in the end we all play together and that his best friend is obviously his enemies otherwise he will have no game.
The action must be sad albion side for last 10 days? yes reason that since mid is stop after 4 keep, instead of taking back 15 keep per days they must be content with 2 or 3.
They did not understand that by throwing themselves on inc the least keep on fire it is their games that they destroyed. That they would do more rps in take back all keep (1279 with 2 doors level 4 on unclaimed keep vs 800 to kill 5 man with 3 no 50).
What's left? kill xper in dodem? and then hide when a 50 come back and roam 35 minutes (lowi I look at you again)
Of course everyone just plays the game as it should in a server in good health. Of course it would be nice if everyone could have the action they needed to have fun. But when times are hard you have to know how to restrict yourself.
I think the mid-migration will worsen in the coming weeks, because even the most volitional and hard-working I'm part of are totally jaded.
It remains to be seen if the players can play intelligently ...

next time teach your shaman to not come and greygank our group of lowbie alts xping when we stayed on them instead of log our 50s to come and stop mids taking keeps, you are warned next time we will switch to our 50s
It's the thrill of the chase
and I'm coming after you.

Galandriel4
Myrmidon

Postby Galandriel4 » Mar 01, 2019 11:28

Ilerget wrote:next time teach your shaman to not come and greygank our group of lowbie alts xping when we stayed on them instead of log our 50s to come and stop mids taking keeps, you are warned next time we will switch to our 50s

very impressive

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Mar 01, 2019 11:45

Ilerget wrote:
Malinus wrote:I agree with fishop, it would be good to live if the players educated themselves a little.
Between zerg Romu who counts not less than the population hib + mid together and the defender of the useless who break every mid action (lowi I look at you too).
Mid being the last realm to compete again a little.
The RvR is totally dead, it's 100% of the keeptake and if a grp mid comes to defend, alb log out, or conversely if a grp alb comes to defend mid log out.
Recently a hope of intelligent game has appeared simply by upgrading each gates level 4 to fill the lack of action. Except Romu who does not seem to understand that in the end we all play together and that his best friend is obviously his enemies otherwise he will have no game.
The action must be sad albion side for last 10 days? yes reason that since mid is stop after 4 keep, instead of taking back 15 keep per days they must be content with 2 or 3.
They did not understand that by throwing themselves on inc the least keep on fire it is their games that they destroyed. That they would do more rps in take back all keep (1279 with 2 doors level 4 on unclaimed keep vs 800 to kill 5 man with 3 no 50).
What's left? kill xper in dodem? and then hide when a 50 come back and roam 35 minutes (lowi I look at you again)
Of course everyone just plays the game as it should in a server in good health. Of course it would be nice if everyone could have the action they needed to have fun. But when times are hard you have to know how to restrict yourself.
I think the mid-migration will worsen in the coming weeks, because even the most volitional and hard-working I'm part of are totally jaded.
It remains to be seen if the players can play intelligently ...

next time teach your shaman to not come and greygank our group of lowbie alts xping when we stayed on them instead of log our 50s to come and stop mids taking keeps, you are warned next time we will switch to our 50s

Well, you can't order people what to do. If people suicide and 1 person decides to explore before ciding, what can you do? And hopefully you do bring 50s, at least there will be inc for all....you're talking about potential battles like it's a bad thing :S. Anyway, I don't mind if you kill my xp group, it's the frontiers and the bonus xp is a calculated risk. I also don't mind if anyone adds on fights etc., because I've been in plenty of groups where you can't tell people not to or where a sidecar will add whether you want it or not so all is alright. Peace, Mr. Assassin!
It is what it is.

Zwikki
Warder

Postby Zwikki » Mar 01, 2019 17:58

Well, the only real reason i can see for uthgards downfall is the lack of motivation to adjust the server settings based on population.

If ppl run around and dont find anything to fight against they leave. Its that simple. Thats why i left Uthgard years ago.
New players don´t stay because it takes so long to ding 50 or because it is too hard. It is just not worth the investment of time and energy. When i came back recently after like 6 - 8 years of not playing and started in hib and did a /who 50 there where so few ppl doing RvR that i immediately stopped playing again. Its still the same problem and it has a name. OLD F*CKING FRONTIERS.

I heard there is a new server up and i looked there and they use Old Frontiers aswell. They will vanish also. Just a matter of time.

Dont get it why staffs and devs of all this "classic" servers are thinking that they can split up population in 3 big ass realms + 3 big but mostly empty Instanced RvR zones + a huge RvR Dungeon and nothing will happen. Best times of this server where always when staff tried to bring players together instead of splitting them up.

Even on live servers back baaack in the days when a server had like less then 3000 players it was dead. Point. And nothing that mythic did could change anything about that. And they tried ^^ with /lvl 30 commando and xp bonuses and all that stuff. Interessting fact is that hibs where always the realm to die out first in such a szenario.

Uthgard Devs have managed to absolutly repeat all of Mythic mistakes. That acctually impressive :D

Malinus
Warder

Postby Malinus » Mar 01, 2019 19:25

Ilerget wrote:next time teach your shaman to not come and greygank our group of lowbie alts xping when we stayed on them instead of log our 50s to come and stop mids taking keeps, you are warned next time we will switch to our 50s

Once again, It's up to everybody to educated themselves (all realm), there are gray killer or xper ganker in all realms.
Can you (yourself) ask Lowi to be content with what he wrote (visibly ironic)?
No, we can not control every action of each player.

I am not all players, so why take me part for acts of which I am not responssable?

Who is the investigator of upgraded doors (first week level 5 gates alone 1679 rps, wasting time and lot of money)? Several times I refused to build a grp to <prevent> albion to take back keep, while we had the opportunity to come to 5/6 (when ripbro was mid), <llet alb have some fun,> and even solo i come def solo SM 48, i know i have no chance,maybe one kill, just make a little bonus attack for my friend (ennemies), or solo with my thane, after having killed 3 times, I come back and suicide in front of Aegan, we all need to have fun...

I think that other player can attest to my games, I do not just play the game, I respect the players, I adapt to the environment.

As this time has Caledonia, I come from behind, the Ranger had just pull a mob, I mezz him with my skald, I have the advantage, he is alone, an orange add, It's easy To kill him? <I only play games>
No i waited until he kills his mob, I let him regen, he / surrender, he was there only for xp with some bonus, Hard to leveling when the realm is empty, you have never DF, and all times you try xp in frontier solo skald/mincer (even duo/trio) gank them.
Finally I stayed 15 minutes here to snare these aggros to help him xping.
If I only played the game, I might have contributed to get bored this player, maybe encouraged him to leave Uthgard one of the last rivals from hibernia.While what I wish is that more players like him finds the courage to play hib, to restore tomorrow 3 realm active a minimum.

Like what is a monumental difference between playing the game and enjoying his instant pleasure and the good sense of what you would like (what would be great for gameplay), what would improve the gameplay to everyone finds a little fun (you first ,instead of having only 2 realm today we could have 3 again).

Your best friends in the game will always be your enemy. Respect him, let die once for him to come back, you'll have 2 hours of fun. Chain kill him 4 times in a row, you played 20 minutes and he left ...
This is not a one-time action that will improve the gameplay, but to do a little every day.What do you want tomorrow? That there are no more enemies? That everyone decides to switch albion?

Everyone is able to make the game better, including this Shaman (Shingless?). I was not a leader at this time, and he left alone to do his own thing. But I do not encourage his attitude (he just play the game?).

RazorRamon
Gryphon Knight

Postby RazorRamon » Mar 01, 2019 22:26

@ Malach. I'm a troll... A druid troll. 8)

RandomNoob
Myrmidon

Postby RandomNoob » Mar 01, 2019 23:33

Malach wrote:
RandomNoob wrote:As far as these trolls go and sadly one of their threads was just quietly aborted, I suppose they have already gotten rr10 from running their dailys and have time to come over and muck up our forums. It's really an epic adventure to watch that ticking time bomb countdown......the eventual and unavoidable outcomes of the mechanics in play are so readily apparent to an outside observer. I'm going to stock up on popcorn next time its on sale and hope they don't take the forums private.

Those were my posts that got deleted, I asked 2 simple questions.
1.) How long till active online population is in the single digits
2.) What happens when population hits single digits

I'm not a Troll and I've never played or want to play the other server.
You should be worried that questions like those can't be discussed on this board
As for watching "outcomes and mechanics that are readily apparent" I can't tell if your talking about this server or the other one because that statement can be applied to both.
If Uthgard had the population of the other servers lowest populated realm at its lowest populated time right now I wouldn't be complaining about anything.
Server population has very little to do with QoL issues it seems, it has a lot to do with the type of person that play's this particular game. There's a game called Everquest that's way way more difficult and grinding then this game and their emu server P1999 has a huge population, even their terrible Red PVP server has a decent population and the only people that play the PVP server are lunatic toxic dredge of society that need to be separated from the regular people on their Blue server. Their Red server still has more people on it then Uthgard.

The other server is loosing people fast true, but guess what, that hasn't increased this servers population at all.

Allow me to retort for purposes of the record. You make it sound as if you showed up and raised a rational, sensible concern with appropriate respect for the people who put on this server for us; out of a genuine appreciation for this game and a desire to see this server prosper and were censored by the big bad moderators....

This is not what you did, your now deleted thread was essentially a smug, snarky, one-liner proposing a death pool for Uthgard and offering up a date.

Since you have shown yourself to be dishonest and lacking in integrity...I shall neither read nor respond to the remainder of your post. Good day to you and enjoy running those daily's with the zerg-ball....

Barring some legal hail mary from BS this server is gonna be going till Blue doesn't have the funds for it or the stomach for putting up with people's crap. The masses are f i c k l e, and servers come and go, some quicker than you might expect....I'm pretty sure Uthgard will be humming along well into the future.

PreviousNext

Return to Realm versus Realm