BG as "new" End RvR Zone until Pop gets better

Talk about your RvR experience here
Rent
Eagle Knight

Postby Rent » Feb 12, 2019 11:32

In the Uth 1 beginnings we had modified BGs as first rvr zones, i guess it´s time to do it until population drops lower again.
<Riot Control> Albion

Rentwin (28) Sorc, Relante (32) Necro, Gwinn (9) Cleric

<Blood Feud> Hibernia - paused

Rent (50) Druid, Rentina (50) Enchanter, Ofreal (20) BM

kinthos
Gryphon Knight

Postby kinthos » Feb 12, 2019 12:09

Uthgard v1 BG play, before they broke it, was excellent. The final BG went up to 4l2 I think and you could be lvl49. Full groups ran around and solos, duos, constant action all night long. I loved it there and you could hit 50 with 4l2 which was a nice start RPs and abilities wise.
- Inqy/Spymistress/Sly -
GM of "eXPedient demise" | Slave of "Crows of Winter"

silenced
Phoenix Knight

Postby silenced » Feb 13, 2019 20:40

But ... The Vision! ... it needs to be kept alive!
Albion Forever!

Rendiviel
Gryphon Knight

Postby Rendiviel » Feb 13, 2019 22:05

kinthos wrote:Uthgard v1 BG play, before they broke it, was excellent. The final BG went up to 4l2 I think and you could be lvl49. Full groups ran around and solos, duos, constant action all night long. I loved it there and you could hit 50 with 4l2 which was a nice start RPs and abilities wise.

I always felt that the change in BGs is what lead Uth 1 to really die. Buff potions were a pain, but the loss of having RR4 available pre-50 is what really hurt the population.

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Feb 14, 2019 03:42

Rendiviel wrote:
kinthos wrote:Uthgard v1 BG play, before they broke it, was excellent. The final BG went up to 4l2 I think and you could be lvl49. Full groups ran around and solos, duos, constant action all night long. I loved it there and you could hit 50 with 4l2 which was a nice start RPs and abilities wise.

I always felt that the change in BGs is what lead Uth 1 to really die. Buff potions were a pain, but the loss of having RR4 available pre-50 is what really hurt the population.

Not really, because most battleground dwellers were just rerolling characters to permanently stay there. I know a bunch of people who had like 3 shamans, 2 skalds etc. If you really want to rvr, you will do it and go through the learning curve. If you don't you'll find all sorts of excuses. Besides, it's not forbidden to take keeps, add, zerg...many good 8v8 groups got their ranks in the beginning that way.
It is what it is.

Satiah
Eagle Knight

Postby Satiah » Feb 14, 2019 12:53

Valfar wrote:
Rendiviel wrote:

Not really, because most battleground dwellers were just rerolling characters to permanently stay there. I know a bunch of people who had like 3 shamans, 2 skalds etc. If you really want to rvr, you will do it and go through the learning curve. If you don't you'll find all sorts of excuses. Besides, it's not forbidden to take keeps, add, zerg...many good 8v8 groups got their ranks in the beginning that way.

Yes it was really.

You are correct that a lot of those people never left the BG's. Mostly Thidranki, but even the other BG's hade a lot of action. They killed it, because it wasn't classic and hoped these players would go into the frontier zone. Action was already stale there for some time. These players never did go into the frontiers, but instead just left. Playerbase dropped from some 400+ to below a 100.

Even though they mostly stayed in the BG's they still helped to keep a healthy population on the server.
Satiah | Tuthmes | Dendera | Khufu | Nefertete | Dahshur | Nebetah | Neterbaiu

RandomNoob
Myrmidon

Postby RandomNoob » Feb 14, 2019 18:34

Satiah wrote:Even though they mostly stayed in the BG's they still helped to keep a healthy population on the server.

Quoted for truth...

I read the other boards occasionally just for entertainment and to see whats going on. At the moment the official forums have a post under CS i believe where a guy is posting about all the harassment he receives for playing in the BG and its pretty funny to see some of the lunatic posts he gets. When I played live, I got the same attitudes from people; though not to the degree this guy is. You see the same attitude in Valfar's comment although in a less hostile and subtle manner. Everything is relative, and the community by and large on Uthgard is the nicest and friendliest there is, most of the toxics are found on live and other places. The toxics who have migrated to greener pastures is by the way one of their cracks in the foundation but I digress.... But the same attitude of implicating BG players as 'casual' or 'unwilling to learn' or 'incapable of competing at high level' is in general a common viewpoint amongst the 50 community. I get countless tells to the effect of 'why don't you have a guild', 'why aren't you 50 yet', 'why do you have xp off'....and again here on Uthgard its always generally positive and not overtly hostile or unfriendly.

I understand 50s want people out in Frontiers to create action, nothing wrong with that but some people just like the BGs and there are many many reasons for it aside from someone simply 'not having the stones' for bigboy rvr. Zones are small, you run around 5 min and no ones on and its no big deal son just come back later. You are busy working around the house or on computer, you get 15 min free and you run around the bg to see if anyones around for maybe a couple fights. Playing a class where mez is a big part of your technique? No one is going to blow purge in Abermenai. Die? A few mouseclicks, 20 silver, and a couple minutes and you are back in the zone. Don't have the greatest in gear, no sweat most of your opponents don't either or since the fights are generally smaller in size it isn't as big a factor.

There is so much wrong with live from rampant hackers, macros, bots, gear creep, severe class/mechanic instability....but BG's almost make it worth paying to play. Thidranki on live is possibly the most perfect rvr zone ever made and 3D water adds a great dimension to all of the zones.

In the end more players are better, even if they are just BG players. They contribute to the economy and atmosphere by just being online and some will eventually migrate on up to endgame.

RazorRamon
Gryphon Knight

Postby RazorRamon » Feb 14, 2019 20:16

Yeah Uth 1.0 Thid was great. The map layout was just so perfect. I liked the collapsible walls on the keeps, use of New Frontiers siege equipment, as mentioned earlier being able to dive in the water, the compact nature of the map didn't require you to roam across 3 frontier zones to find action. OF keep warfare was just so stale by comparison.

Return to Realm versus Realm