What TIME is it busy here for RVR?

Talk about your RvR experience here
Ownnyn
Eagle Knight

Postby Ownnyn » Apr 13, 2018 00:23

Abydos wrote:
Ownnyn wrote:PvE is just a means to an ends.

Plenty of people enjoy PvE for what it is. In fact, somewhere between 65-80% of them...(strangely, this was the same number given in an interview with Mythic ~2004 or 2005... they talked about how no matter all the expansions, bonuses, or things they changed, they couldnt get more than 20% in RVR regardless of server size. Guinevere with 4500, or Nimue with 700, always 20%...).
Perhaps its just me and everyone ive played with on a daily basis.

But we pve to get toons up to 50. We have a necro or a caby pl players while nearly everyone afks.

Occasionally well all get on lowbie and have some fun in pve.

However, despite the fact that i only have a passion for rvr, and much prefer games like swtor for pve, i spend way more time in pve than rvr

Why?

Well first and formost you have to pve to get to 50.

U also need 8 people to run a group, or more to run multiples

And you need specific classes depending on group comps.

So i have to spend time leveling our sorc, cause our last one quit. A friend came to play so im leveling his ice wizzy. The sorcs wife has a therg im helping level, we lack any mercs so theres talk about pling someone a merc.

Since i started here there is always someone who needs a toon leveled.

So if 75% of my time is spent in pve, and 25% in rvr, does that make me a pver?

No, i dislike it. My wife wont even log in to pve anyone cause she dislikes it that much.

But there are soo many roadblocks to getting enough people, in the right classes, with the right gear, that i think it skews your numbers and inflates those that truely enjoy the pve over rvr.

Do they exist? I think so. Kinda like koala bears, just cause i havent seen one, doesnt mean they dont exist.

As a test one day, after a different thread about the same topic, i spent 4 hrs, asking in alliance every 30ish mins,for anyone who is here for the pve to msg me. Not a single response. But im also in a rvr alliance. Is there a pve alliance i can ask?

TLDR

i think your numbers are inflated by people just trying to get themselves and others to 50.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Abydos
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Abydos » Apr 13, 2018 00:27

I'd have to check, but I believe the interview i'm referencing was well after catacombs, and you could argue by that point there were no 'roadblocks to 50' left.

But the point is, no, you don't need 5 characters or a set group to go rvr. Go out solo, or duo, or as 5...make what you can and go out. See what happens.

Will some people run you over with more? Maybe. Maybe not. They probably know you'll quit if they run you over. And that's not good for anyone. But the only way you'll get RVR is if you go out and do it.

Kabouik
Myrmidon

Postby Kabouik » Apr 13, 2018 01:16

I like both PVE and RVR. I meet people in PVE where I like to group or even build groups, and I go in RVR with what I have and won't ask me to go on a vocal chat, i.e., me and myself, most of the time.

I think we should just do as Abydos said and go RVR or PVE with what we have and enjoy the game for what it is. I am not sure I am having more fun at 50 with just optimized setups or SCed high RR to fight than a BG where I could be surprised and find groups of different sizes, levels, compositions, specs and stuff. I disagree that 50 should be rushed by all means, that getting there is a pain, and that the end game is the only point in DAOC (and yet I usually XP fast, unless I'm staying in a BG). XPing in FZ with the risk of being attacked at any time by something unexpected and maybe be able to win depending on their numbers might be close to the best fun I have in this game, it happened several times the last few days and always was a thrill, even when we died. But I also like to reach 50 and theorycraft some specs and templates.

The numbers mentioned by Abydos are kinda reassuring about the balance and activity between realms and time zones.
Statistics are like bikinis though, as a wise humorist once said, they show the big picture but hide the most important. We shouldn't overinterpret, it's up to the players of each realm to go out solo, smallman, grouped, in zergs, take keeps, defend in front of their PK or roam, or log out frustrated without trying anything else than the usual 8-man-in-the-zone-where-the-last-killspam-occurred routine.
[Mid] Koubiak, Krafilnaavith
[Hib] Soazig

Nerthos
Warder

Postby Nerthos » Apr 13, 2018 04:05

Now that hibs lost relic Bonus of 20% spelldamage and 20% heal bonus, rp Distribution looks quite different today...
I somehow like, how the 8mans are at least now sometimes considering to help realm defence because of the high impact the relic Bonus Has, bringing 8mans and casuals more to rely on each other and accept eachs playstyle.

Over the last Few weeks also Solo and smallman catched up a Lot i had the feeling. I went out with my caby solo pre EU Prime , didnt take 5 Minutes to find some stealther.
At/near dodens you find small Action Even at Lunch time in EU.

Front of svadud i had that great fights with my minstrel, A week ago i let an adding nightshade alive with 1% hp, just because the fight was so long and challenging and I somehow out of Respect didnt want him to need Run down here again without speed just for some rps.

Appreciate that thread, uthgard is great fun and I hope more players come back to get their own picture and join the Action.
Kabalix/Sunna

Previous

Return to Realm versus Realm