[OWTGXP] Royal Couriers

Forum for everything else
Numatic
Warder

Postby Numatic » Mar 09, 2018 06:31

Hello, let me start by saying I am not in RvR yet so I may be way off base here so bare with me. However according to posts/conversations it seems like it's not hard to figure out the problems.

When Daoc first launched, you had thousands of players per server. This meant that RvR zones needed to be big. To support the large number of players. With a much lower server population, this creates an issue.

What you need is a singular focus that brings the realms together in combat. Make it worth while for everyone able to participate. This was tried somewhat with DF but it didn't last long because DF is more of a dungeon/farming spot than an RvR battlefield.

My suggestion is a Royal Courier for each realm. These couriers spawn in a specific keep in any realm randomly on a timer. So for example, the Hibernian Royal Courier will spawn in a Hibernian keep. The other realms have one hour(or however long would seem fair) to lay siege and execute the courier. This courier carries with him an abundance of rare/expensive items, XP, and RPs. But take note he is no slouch, as couriers are some of the toughest fighters to ever be known. Now for the logistics.

I'm not sure if it is feasibly possible to do so, as I am not a dev. My suggestion would be this. The amount of xp, rps, and items/rarity would be dependant on the amount of friendly/enemy players are within a certain range of the keep. Real time data would need to be kept on the amount of time spent at the keep, and damage done to the courier. The longer you can stay alive and at the keep, the more you will earn. However, to the victor goes the spoils. Participation is worth a set amount of rps and Xp based on the amount of time spent in the fight. The amount of damage done to the courier will reflect a bonus/loss of xp and rps to the winner/loser respectively. So for example if Hibernia were to lose and the courier die, they would only receive the participation amount. Again this amount will depend on the amount of time spent at the keep. Now if Hibernia wins and the courier is at 50% health, then they would receive 50% of the xp bonus while the other realms would receive a split of that added to the participation xp. (Say 500mil bonus xp with 50 players, you would each receive 10mil xp...just as an example, not actual numbers).

If he is not killed by the time the timer ticks down, he will despawn, giving the defending realm a plethora of items, xp, and rps as gratitude for protecting him.

Now, if no enemy combatants show, no-one will receive any rewards (both ways).
If enemies do show and do not fight, you will not receive xp (to prevent farming. However to gain full participation xp u must be at the keep for 75% of the time. Would not be worth it to farm)
If under a certain amount of players total show, no-one will receive anything. (These details can be changed to fit the best interest of the server for fair play).
If the fight is unbalanced (Say 10 defenders vs 50 attackers) the attackers will receive a reduced amount of xp/rp/items.

When the courier spawns, a global message will be sent to the realms to the effect of "The Royal Hibernian Courier has been spotted at [Hibernian Keep]. Kill this target!" Hibernia would see something like "The Royal Courier has been spotted at [Keep] by enemy scouts! Please protect him!".

Anyhow, it sounded like a good idea in my head. Then again my head has failed me alot

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Aelred
Myrmidon

Postby Aelred » Mar 09, 2018 08:39

Something very similar was actually brought up again recently. https://www2.uthgard.net/tracker/issue/ ... l_3_realms

Hopefully there is enough data, and interest, for the devs to implement this idea. I think it would be a great addition for the smallman scene here on Uthgard!

Numatic
Warder

Postby Numatic » Mar 09, 2018 10:36

Aelred wrote:Something very similar was actually brought up again recently. https://www2.uthgard.net/tracker/issue/ ... l_3_realms

Hopefully there is enough data, and interest, for the devs to implement this idea. I think it would be a great addition for the smallman scene here on Uthgard!
Ah maybe that's where I got the courier name from I knew at some point daoc had courier missions just couldn't remember when. Although if I recall they fell out of favor fairly quickly because they didn't really increase RvR presence. IIRC it was more of a run around than anything.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Return to Offtopic Forum